STGT'11 Week 2: Daioh

KMM

Re: STGT'11 Week 2: Daioh

Post by KMM »

dex wrote:
donotcare95 wrote:Let me repeat that: a quarter of his ALL score came from random items.
Actually, 18%. 2 of those extends weren't random.
I was already accounting for only five of the seven item extends being random, but if the end bonus is actually ~800K/life and not the 1M originally reported, then yeah, it would be closer to a fifth of his final score.

And it's still stupidly broken. The total end bonus more than doubled his actual score, and a huge chunk of that was totally random.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

donotcare95 wrote:
dex wrote:
donotcare95 wrote:Let me repeat that: a quarter of his ALL score came from random items.
Actually, 18%. 2 of those extends weren't random.
I was already accounting for only five of the seven item extends being random, but if the end bonus is actually ~800K/life and not the 1M originally reported, then yeah, it would be closer to a fifth of his final score.

And it's still stupidly broken. The total end bonus more than doubled his actual score, and a huge chunk of that was totally random.
It's a bonus for not dying. Don't die. "Huge chunk" being 4M... subtract that and I still have 18M. It's not -totally- random, by the way.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I feel as though a few people are dismissing sikraiken's achievement because of the random lives factor. Honestly whether or not he got extra random lives I don't care, he has actually achieved a very difficult 2-ALL, without even dying once for that matter.

The lives bonus in the end I think is a bit silly, but for those of you who want to see a really badly designed end lives bonus, look at Saint Dragon and tell me THAT isn't completely retarded. ~2 Mil playing normally, with a 1 Mil life bonus after that even though they throw you 8 or 13 1ups at the VERY END OF THE GAME. It's random if you get a 1up or a 5up at the end from what I've been able to pull together. I've seen a 7up somewhere in Saint Dragon before LOL WUT. So sure you get a HUGE chunk of end lives bonus in Daioh, but doing a no-miss in Daioh in the first place is a complete nightmare.

Anyways though, I never formally congratulated sikraiken yesterday because honestly I was really jealous after he crushed my original pro-tip, but I have to see how he did later because it's driving me nuts trying to imagine no-missing even the 1st loop completely. I assume that he had to bomb past stage 4 a couple times every stage because the bullets are just too insane.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I assume that he had to bomb past stage 4 a couple times every stage because the bullets are just too insane.
Nope, he pretty much never used bombs. Just occassionally when his bomb stock is full anyway. The replay is unbelieveable.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
CulDad78

Post by CulDad78 »

Culdad78 - 1,065,230 - 4 - shmupmame

Hit a mil, so i'll take it - still have not had a solid run, all avoidable deaths. Hope to post much higher this weekend.

There is 21 mil out there that i'm just missing somehow. I'll find it.
Last edited by CulDad78 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Zaarock - 2,158,880 - 6 - MAME

Stage 6 is pretty mean, I wen't through three checkpoints with no powerups and never got any more :,

Won't be able to play for the rest of the week. Fun game, definitely would've played it a bit more.

Grats on W(est)R sikraiken :p
DJW

Post by DJW »

DJW - 1,343,680 - 5 - MAME
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I've been on vacation since the start of the week, and I just returned home, so I probably won't be able to catch up. This is from my third try at the game, though:

Herr Schatten - 865,510 - 3 - MAME
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

sikraiken wrote: It's a bonus for not dying. Don't die. "Huge chunk" being 4M... subtract that and I still have 18M. It's not -totally- random, by the way.
Sik, just out of curiosity, what was your playtime like for this game?
lol
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

mesh control wrote:
sikraiken wrote: It's a bonus for not dying. Don't die. "Huge chunk" being 4M... subtract that and I still have 18M. It's not -totally- random, by the way.
Sik, just out of curiosity, what was your playtime like for this game?
I played a little over 25hrs. Most of the time I play much less during each STGT game (some exceptions - Battle Garegga), but I figured I could get the run I was looking for. The time includes looking at the ram for how some things in the game work.
Last edited by sikraiken on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:
I assume that he had to bomb past stage 4 a couple times every stage because the bullets are just too insane.
Nope, he pretty much never used bombs. Just occassionally when his bomb stock is full anyway. The replay is unbelieveable.
Indeed, just seen it, highly impressive.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Jealous. Infinitely jealous. Is there a game sikraiken can't completely obliterate?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

ResumeDPosition wrote:Jealous. Infinitely jealous. Is there a game sikraiken can't completely obliterate?
Dimahoo
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Dammit it with you and your Dimahoo lol. If there was a comprehensive list to how you get each specific item I'd be really interested in trying it for a while, and I'm sure more people would show interest as well. Its just too overwhelming trying to play the game and figuring out everything by yourself.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

sikraiken wrote:The time includes looking at the ram for how some things in the game work.
Even that part alone is pretty impressive to my ears!
Deca

Post by Deca »

I'd really like to see this replay, will it be made public at the end of the week?

Still slaving away just going for a 1-all :/ Does anybody have any sort of advice they're willing to share for stage 6?
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
rancor

Post by rancor »

rancor - 1600250 - 6 - Shmup MAME

Fuck this game. Seriously. Wasted my whole day on that score (8am 'til 4:30pm) Peace.

edit: From the screenshot, it looks like Zaarock and I crapped out at the exact same spot, but his score pummels mine.. :?
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Smraedis - 1,061,610 - 4 - MAME
I know my scores are really bad, I know...
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Deca

Post by Deca »

The more I play the lower I score, regardless of how far I get. My average score has just steadily decreased over the course of the week.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
captpain

Post by captpain »

Deca wrote:The more I play the lower I score, regardless of how far I get. My average score has just steadily decreased over the course of the week.
keep playing. don't stop now, that would be crazy.
msm

Post by msm »

msm - 1,944,790 - 6 - MAME
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

Deca wrote:I'd really like to see this replay, will it be made public at the end of the week?
I guess we have as much chances seeing it as cyvern replay(post it tomorrow I'm serious) or parodius replay(post it tomorrow,I'm really serious this time) :D .

I don't doubt of your skills sik,so many people vouch for you etc...
But don't tease us like that when u end never posting the replays anyway,just no need,you're sick enough!

Yes it's tilting.
Yes you are unbelievable(I honestly can't fathom how someone can get such scores in so few hours of play,can not understand :shock: ).

I will finish with:

asd gfgsdfgaf gfasgdfgasfdasgf hail to this score

edit:thinking I might score 1/14th of your score after this week damn
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Steady improvement. I died once on stage 6 in the 1st loop, twice on stage 8, and then the rest of my lives went to stage 11. So close to the next extend to but that would've most likely gone to waste very fast too. I'm surprised at how the rank can still drop noticeably even in the 2nd loop but only a true badass can do this stuff without bombing. I only got to stage 11 by being more careful and bomb-happy than usual. I feel that I can get a 2-ALL eventually, just not this week or with a score like sikraiken's x_x

ResumeDPosition - 5,455,390 - 11 - MAME

I don't think I'm gonna do much better but if I can manage to better handle the brown tanks on stage 11 I may just be able to make it to stage 12.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Aguraki wrote: I guess we have as much chances seeing it as cyvern replay(post it tomorrow I'm serious) or parodius replay(post it tomorrow,I'm really serious this time) :D .
I've spent this entire day trying to get mngwrite to output my daioh replay properly. In the past, such as for Tatsujin Oh, I used two computers to capture - one to playback my INP, the other's capture card to get the video. I don't like the way it looks. aviwrite isn't build into older MAME versions. Most of my replays (INPs) have never been released because I wanted to release them alongside a video at the same time. Whether it was trying to get the captures to look good, or the encodes themselves to look nice, this became a cumbersome process for me. I gave up. Gokujou Parodius is still coming.

Besides that, a lot of my plays are 'poor' compared to what else you can find just online or relatively easily on DVD. In terms of STGT, the only things that you can't really find that are comparable are Omega Fighter (mostly because I don't think anyone has really played special rom special mode outside of this forum), Twinbee Yahhoo (probably exists on VHS), Xexex (exists on VHS), and Daioh. You can find much better or comparable plays for Viper Phase 1, Darius Gaiden, Giga Wing, 19XX, Dangun Feveron Time Attack, Rayforce, Progear, Varth, Raiden Fighters Jet, Thunder Dragon 2, Strikers 1945 II, Battle Garegga, Cyvern, Mars Matrix, Raiden Fighters 2, Dangun Feveron, and Gokujou Parodius.

You can get any score you want to. I am not special. It's how you approach the game and the time you want to put into it.

And thanks. : )
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

well at least you're humble. fuck that score is ridiculous.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Adebis

Post by Adebis »

Adebis - 638,540 - 3 - MAME
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

thx for the answer.
Maybe you can ask someone to do it for you(I would if I knew how to get good quality).
Don't underestimate the value of your replays,I'm sure a lot of people here would be really happy to watch them.
Replays aren't that easy to find,that gokujo was bad quality,I've found nothing on Daioh,etc...

One last thing,it's also cool because we can talk to you and it's not like these 70M Donpachi mythical videos that we will never see;that's the added value.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Can't you just run the inp and record it with fraps?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Deca wrote:The more I play the lower I score, regardless of how far I get. My average score has just steadily decreased over the course of the week.
...in otherwords, yeah, me too.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Bananamatic wrote:Can't you just run the inp and record it with fraps?
I could never get fraps to work properly with it when I tried. mngwrite seems to be working fine now, finally.