New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by fagin »

Like I said.... it works with some and not others.

Just tested my JAP SNES and it only works on the Composite Video Sync RCA (using the Sync Strike). However, if I use my syncblaster cable instead it works on the HSYNC RCA (along with a superior image).

Hope this helps.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Wow...the SyncBlaster is awesome enough that it gets the SNES to output true HSYNC? That's amazing!

When you say superior image, you mean superior to using the SyncStike with composite sync? Or do you mean you use the SyncBlaster *with* the SyncStrike?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Let me further explain as I think we might be getting mixed up between HSYNC output from the Sync Strike and HSYNC RCA input on the EDGE. :mrgreen:

Using RGB and HSYNC input on the EDGE gives a superior (brighter) picture from a RGBs source.

Although you're using the HSYNC input on the EDGE, you're not actually looking to feed it a HSYNC signal. You need to feed it a CSYNC signal, which is what the Sync Strike should be putting out. For whatever reason (timing issue or whatever) the EDGE does not like a SNES feed from the Sync Strike, seen through the HSYNC RCA (it works fine through the SYNC RCA though). It recognises the sync as CSYNC (correct), but says signal is unsupported.

If you do the same with a Syncblaster cable it works fine.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Ok, so I need to buy a SyncStrike cable it seems to get superior image quality from my SNES. Which specific cable did you use? I see so many on Amazon.
fagin

Post by fagin »

This one will do -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNCBLASTER-CAB ... 176&sr=8-9

But you will then need a female to female SCART block, to plug your console SCART into and then the SyncBlaster. Then you will need to breakout of the SCART to SCART block for audio.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:This one will do -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNCBLASTER-CAB ... 176&sr=8-9

But you will then need a female to female SCART block, to plug your console SCART into and then the SyncBlaster. Then you will need to breakout of the SCART to SCART block for audio.
Thanks, only problem is every time I use one of those female to female SCART blocks (I have a few) I get a nice interference in the picture (faint, wavy lines) :(
fagin

Post by fagin »

Hamburglar wrote:
fagin wrote:This one will do -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNCBLASTER-CAB ... 176&sr=8-9

Thanks, only problem is every time I use one of those female to female SCART blocks (I have a few) I get a nice interference in the picture (faint, wavy lines) :(

Since you have to crack it open in anycase, just disconnect everything you don't need then. ;)
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

Since you have to crack it open in anycase, just disconnect everything you don't need then. ;)
Brilliant! However:

Why do I have to crack it open?

How do I figure out what I don't need? I have no idea what's hooked up in that crazy SyncBlaster cable!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Is there somebody with an Edge, a Syncblaster and the ability to do a proper screen capture ? I don't have an Edge in my setup anymore, but I'd really like to see the difference between the classic RGBs connection and using the RGBHV input for 15khz sources.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Well if you don't open it, then you will need to find another way to extract L/R audio won't you. ;)

You only need R,G,B,Sync and Ground (iirc). Look at a SCART PIN-OUT on the net and it's very easy to find out what actual pins you need connected (five in total on the OUT side of the adapter block).

Fudoh,
If I get time I will do some for you.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:Well if you don't open it, then you will need to find another way to extract L/R audio won't you. ;)

You only need R,G,B,Sync and Ground (iirc). Look at a SCART PIN-OUT on the net and it's very easy to find out what actual pins you need connected (five in total on the OUT side of the adapter block).

Fudoh,
If I get time I will do some for you.
I was confused because my SNES is digital audio optical modded :)
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Hey Bencao, quick question...

Is this psu on your site the same standard DC fitting as pictured in your guide a few pages back??

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteuro ... ucts_id=30

The pic on your website looks different to a standard dc (adsl router style) fitting??

Just want to make sure as I am planning on getting a sync strike as i already have the gbs 8220 and slg300 :lol:

Thanks and keep up the great work

Or can anyone in the UK point me to a suitable PSU for the cga to VGA scaler please??
fagin

Post by fagin »

lunch_box wrote:Or can anyone in the UK point me to a suitable PSU for the cga to VGA scaler please??
Maplins sell several that will do.... 6v at 1.2amps will suffice.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

fagin

Post by fagin »

Yes... that's bang on.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

thanks again fagin, i will be off to buy that this evening.

Probable a n00b question, but is it better to have a seperate psu for both the scaler and syncstrike, or can i just power the scaler with the ex psu and then use the supplied cable from the scaler to power the syncstrike.... hope this makes sense 8)

thanks again
fagin

Post by fagin »

lunch_box wrote:thanks again fagin, i will be off to buy that this evening.

Probable a n00b question, but is it better to have a seperate psu for both the scaler and syncstrike, or can i just power the scaler with the ex psu and then use the supplied cable from the scaler to power the syncstrike.... hope this makes sense 8)

thanks again
Absolutely fine to do that.
trunk

Post by trunk »

Has anybody had a problem with the Sync Strike outputting a yellow tint?

I had the Sync Strike hooked up to my xrgb-3 since I got it months ago and it's been working perfectly until yesterday. I started up my super famicom and there was a yellow tint to the image.

So I tested:

Super Famicom->Sync Strike->XRGB-3 D in 2->Edge->TV Yellow tint (The problem)
Super Famicom->XRGB-3 Game in->Edge->TV Works great (Tells me it's a cable, Sync Strike, or D in 2 on xrgb-3)
Super Famicom->CGA2VGA->monitor Works great (so it's not the cable)
Super Famicom->Sync Strike->CGA2VGA->monitor Yellow tint (Tells me it must be the Sync Strike, not D in 2 on xrgb-3)
and other combos...

I basically isolated the Sync Strike as being the problem(it's not the tv, monitor, edge, xrgb-3,super famicom, or the cables) I tried 2 different vga cables, a super famicom and super nintendo(ntsc), and 2 different scart cables, and an xrgb-2+(of course scart->21pin jrgb) just to check if cables where good on game in with the above.

Anybody have any ideas? It looks like too much tint but it is yellow instead of pink otherwise the image is just as clear as before.
Current Setup:

720P------------------------v
240P->XRGB-3->Edge->4x2 matrix->DLP HDTV
480i/P->YPbPrselect-^ . . ^ . . V-->hdmi2vga->Super Emotia->Tate CRT SDTV
PC->vga2hdmi-------------^
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Before I order this thing (damn near $100 for me to get in the US), how do I hook this up to a SyncStrike then Edge? It's got SCART on one end, and VGA on the other.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

I dont think he meant to have both hooked up. They both are doing the same thing, so use the cable instead of the sync strike (they also have other versions of the cable with different ends on their main site)
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Oh, thanks. Well it's a moot point because Amazon will not deliver the Syncblaster to the US anyway :(

This really stinks because the SNES was the reason I bought the SyncStrike and it seems like it's the only console it won't work with.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Let me do some testing later today, but the Sync Strike and Edge combo may work with an Extron RGB in between. They are as cheap as fuck in the US.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Yay,thanks Fagin!
fagin

Post by fagin »

SNES -> Sync Strike -> EXTRON RGB -> EDGE works fine! :wink:

Any Extron RGB unit will suffice (just find the cheapest unit). You just need to enable CSYNC and DDSP.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:SNES -> Sync Strike -> EXTRON RGB -> EDGE works fine! :wink:

Any Extron RGB unit will suffice (just find the cheapest unit). You just need to enable CSYNC and DDSP.
As usual, you're the best! Your effort saved me ~$50, so I took that $50 and donated it to a cat shelter! So thanks for helping a homeless cat :D

Can't wait to see the SNES working with the SyncStrike!
fagin

Post by fagin »

Everyone's a winner then! :mrgreen:
trunk

Post by trunk »

trunk wrote:Has anybody had a problem with the Sync Strike outputting a yellow tint?

I had the Sync Strike hooked up to my xrgb-3 since I got it months ago and it's been working perfectly until yesterday. I started up my super famicom and there was a yellow tint to the image.

So I tested:

Super Famicom->Sync Strike->XRGB-3 D in 2->Edge->TV Yellow tint (The problem)
Super Famicom->XRGB-3 Game in->Edge->TV Works great (Tells me it's a cable, Sync Strike, or D in 2 on xrgb-3)
Super Famicom->CGA2VGA->monitor Works great (so it's not the cable)
Super Famicom->Sync Strike->CGA2VGA->monitor Yellow tint (Tells me it must be the Sync Strike, not D in 2 on xrgb-3)
and other combos...

I basically isolated the Sync Strike as being the problem(it's not the tv, monitor, edge, xrgb-3,super famicom, or the cables) I tried 2 different vga cables, a super famicom and super nintendo(ntsc), and 2 different scart cables, and an xrgb-2+(of course scart->21pin jrgb) just to check if cables where good on game in with the above.

Anybody have any ideas? It looks like too much tint but it is yellow instead of pink otherwise the image is just as clear as before.

Problem solved. By not plugging in the scart cable so deep the colors came back to normal :oops:
Current Setup:

720P------------------------v
240P->XRGB-3->Edge->4x2 matrix->DLP HDTV
480i/P->YPbPrselect-^ . . ^ . . V-->hdmi2vga->Super Emotia->Tate CRT SDTV
PC->vga2hdmi-------------^
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

Does anybody has an idea about kind / brand of the both ribbon like 12pin connector near the byapass and output vga?

Cheers

Jochen
ceramiclion

Post by ceramiclion »

Hello.
I am brand new to this and I just bough this item. I have read through most of the thread and want to make absolutely sure that I can do what I have in mind. I use a Sega Genesis model 1 with 32X, Super Nintendo, and a sega saturn.
I want to hook up one of those systems to --> sync strike--> Faroudja NR series video processor---> VGA to HDMI converter---> LG CRT HDTV.
Has this set up been tried before?
Do I need a power supply for the Sync Strike?
Thank you
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

I recommend using a Sync Strike. In my shop options you can add a psu.

Consider this tutorial: I grab power source from the gbs scaler here. Also possilble.

http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/11/in ... caler.html