Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
T-hawk

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by T-hawk »

Udderdude wrote:Having your last boss able to be credit fed through with no score penalty is kind of meh.
There's the limit of 2 extra credits, so you can only feed so far. And there is a score penalty (a smaller bonus); you get 25k for burning both extra credits, 50k for one, 100k for none. But that is very small, yes.

For Gauntlet mode there is a score bonus for remaining credits: +20% for two, +10% for one, +5% for zero. So a top Gauntlet score does have to truly be a 1CC. Maybe that should be applied to single stage play as well, although it would make obsolete all past leaderboard scores.

Veracity wrote:Agree the Conquistador boss more or less just rolls over and dies, though that might be at least partly a hit point issue.
Yeah, definitely. Each phase where you shoot him in the middle, he dies within the duration of a single Vaunt shield. Would be decently hard if you actually had to dodge those bullet sprays for a little while.

As for the underpants... I think he's supposed to be connected to the primal power source of Mars itself. What should be be wearing, armor? He's already got that big yellow bubble shield. And he already had a giant mech that we blew up. :)
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

ADD SCANLINES
SCANLINES ON EVERYTHING
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

DeathAxe wrote:I'm using a ps2 stick (custom using the 15th anniv fight pad) through an adapter. This game (no other games or emus) the direction randomly stopps working in game. I pause, the curse still moves fine... unpausing it still wont work... then I pause and go to rebind then it works fine for a bit... then stopps working again...

anyone know what is going on here?
Try playing it through Xpadder, I would of suggested you forward that file with controller data onto the devs as they have been trying to get as many controllers to work with the game as they can. But since your stick is a custom it might be asking too much from a 2 man dev team who are busy with other things.

Post by Avatar Ignis »

Had a few days off and was able to try it out-

It's fun. I can't really see myself playing it as obsessively as other games, but for the few hours i'll put into it it'll be enjoyable.

I can see the interest in using each ship except the bomber. My god the bomber is absolutely worthless. maybe if its bullets went through enemies? simply put there is no situation i can think of in the game where the bomber would excel. The gunner's playstyle is the most complementative to the game scoring mechanics.

The challenges are cool, the graphics/music/overall game vibe is awesome, however there wasn't a huge hook for me to play it long term
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Found a workaround for the slowdown issue! Courtesy of a post on the Steam forum that I can't find anymore.

Simply set the program to use only one processor of your multicore CPU (or hyperthreaded CPU). After you open Jamestown, open task manager, then find the .exe, right click, and click "Set Affinity". Then deselect all the processors except for one.

Sucks I have to do this every time I open the game. Final Form, please fix this!

Oh yeah, and the game is still on sale on Steam if any of you are interested.
T-hawk

Post by T-hawk »

linko9 wrote:Awesome videos, keep 'em coming man.
New Madrid (stage 4) on Judgement difficulty. Full combo (and a decent combo on the boss), although not #1 score rank this time. But stay tuned to the end for a little bonus. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtapamGd2c

Edit: Here's stage 3 on Judgement too, with full combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXHgDgXfAZg
neon guide

Post by neon guide »

This is on mega sale on steam today, only cost me £3.50.

It runs painfully slowly
MathU

Post by MathU »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:I agree, anyone who is a shmup fan with a decent PC and hasnt bought it should hang their head in shame. I mean how often to we see a western developer create such an homage to 2D pixel art Japanese STGs? Especially a Japanese styled STG that has managed to make it to Steam despite Valve been the anti Japanese Nazis that they are.
Stop pretending that forced Steam reliance is a good thing. It's why I still haven't bought this. It's a real shame they had to go that route.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

neon guide wrote:This is on mega sale on steam today, only cost me £3.50.

It runs painfully slowly
It seems there's a bug with some dual cores or something. Make it to run on a single core as explained 4 posts ago (or using free M$ Application Compatibility Toolkit). Hope they got it patched soon though, for under these conditions those leaderboards are everything but fair.
neon guide

Post by neon guide »

It runs painfully slowly
Just thought i would add that Steam sales are another reason why Jamestown being on Steam is cool, at £3.50 i would think that only principle is stopping people picking this up.

I dont think this PC has dual cores, but im sure i can find a way to improve the frame rate.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Just got this on the megasale. A real steal for this price!

The artstyle... I love it, really, so much attention to detail, so beautiful pixelart! And the sound... :shock: I can see myself playing this for quite some time.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

neon guide wrote:

It runs painfully slowly
I dont think this PC has dual cores, but im sure i can find a way to improve the frame rate.
Well, if it's a Pentium 4, then it has hyper-threading, which acts like a dual core in windows. You will still need to do the fix I mentioned. Otherwise, your PC may not be up to snuff.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

I've only got myself a single core 64-bit CPU with 2gigs of ram. thinking about buying the game, but I'm unsure if it would even run at a decent enough speed for me. the graphics card is I think 512mb. would it run on my comp?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

According to the requirements on the steam page, yes.

System Requirements

Processor: Intel® Pentium™ 4 2.4 GHz or better
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 250 MB
Video Card: Any OpenGL 2.0 graphics card with 256MB+ video RAM
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Additional: One keyboard, controller, or mouse required per player. Supports multiple mice and/or keyboards. 3-buttons required for mouse play.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

heh, with the fact I have vista, it might not, but at some point I'll buy it and try it out. looks like a quality game.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Just grabbed this off Steam.....well worth the $4.99 on the Steam Sale for sure! I hadn't even heard of it....and I LOVE that it is mappable to my Saturn USB pad when so many other Steam games aren't! Totally awesome! Blew through the first level on Difficult and a couple of the challenges just to give it a go and I'm really enjoying it so far!

On sale till Thursday at 1 EST....everyone that plays PC shmups should grab this!
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
autumndrone

Post by autumndrone »

Wow Jamestown (50% SALE) is in the TOP 10 sellers list on Steam. Just an FYI for all the chiselers out there ;)
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

My laptop is a dual-core 2.2GHz and it runs fine without having to fiddle about with system settings.
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

Picked this up during the 50% off sale yesterday and I must say its as good as a friend of mine was hyping it up to be. Only slight issue is I think all the ships run a bit too slow overall. The final boss I thought was pretty cute, reminded me of a tame Hibachi with that glowing aura. I don't seem to have the slow running issue running on a multicore machine.
T-hawk

Post by T-hawk »

Shuurin wrote:Only slight issue is I think all the ships run a bit too slow overall.
It's intentional, to spotlight co-op play with multiple players. One ship isn't meant to be able to cover the entire screen by itself. (except that the Gunner manages to do so anyway with a skilled pilot.)
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

I see that, and approve of it in a multiplayer setting. In a single player campaign...not so much, its just a minor gripe and it doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the game just calling it as I experience it.

Speaking of multiplayer, the lack of online coop is crushing. I know if I have people over the last thing we would do is huddle in front of my small arse computer screen in an attempt to play a 4 player shmup. Maybe they could make it an option in a sequel down the road.

Still a great game and I'd easily recommend it to anyone I know who doesn't have this yet.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

It can't be played co-op online? I didn't catch that :( That looked like half the fun....would never play local co-op...
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Tbh im not so sure that we will be seeing anymore games from Final Form as moving from 33% and now 50% discount when it hasnt been out a month is never a good sign.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It was overpriced at $10. $5 sounds about right, really.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Udderdude wrote:It was overpriced at $10. $5 sounds about right, really.
I think it's pretty callous to call something that three people worked on for over two years full-time without pay overpriced.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

StarCreator wrote:
I think it's pretty callous to call something that three people worked on for over two years full-time without pay overpriced.
If it didnt have high quality sprite artwork and a top rate soundtrack (weither it fits a STG or not is moot) then I might be inclined to agree but with all the extra polish it has ild say £7.99 is well worth it even though its missing online co-op
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

MathU wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:I agree, anyone who is a shmup fan with a decent PC and hasnt bought it should hang their head in shame. I mean how often to we see a western developer create such an homage to 2D pixel art Japanese STGs? Especially a Japanese styled STG that has managed to make it to Steam despite Valve been the anti Japanese Nazis that they are.
Stop pretending that forced Steam reliance is a good thing. It's why I still haven't bought this. It's a real shame they had to go that route.
I think you misunderstand me MathU. Is compulsory steam integration a good thing for us gamers? nope I hate it. Is it a good thing for the developer and the PC industry as a whole? yes like it or not if a game gets onto steam can make or break a PC game due to the high number of gamers who will only buy a game if its on steam. I might sound like some retarded steam fanboy but it couldnt be further from the truth as gamers outside the US get charged much more for games on steam, especially us guys in the UK, which is why I buy all my AAAs boxed as its cheaper http://www.steamprices.com/uk/topripoffs

I just want to see the game sell well enough that more STGs aswell as other Japanese games come to Steam. Its worth pointing out that atm the console industry isnt doing so well for those who dont make the best blockbusters or have popular IPs. From what ive read from 2 or 3 different sources is that smaller developers / publishers are looking to get their games onto PC. The only thing thats stopping them is Valves monopoly with steam and how fickle they are for approving games for Steam. Which probably greatly influences if they are to bother selling their games on PC at all.

With all that said and done from all the digital download services that force the player to tie the game to an online account Steam is the best imo, its much improved since the days when HL2 first released and by and large is hassle free even with Steam's own DRM. If someone is willing to buy games on XBLA or PSN then I see it as been slightly arrogant that they wont use Steam.
Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

Steam isn't the only place you can buy it.
You cannot stop me with Paramecium alone!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

StarCreator wrote:
Oh, poor babies. Let me throw a big pity party for the devs who decided to scrap most of the work they had done on it and start again from scratch.

And if they were that worried about funding, they could have put something on kickstarter.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Udderdude wrote:
StarCreator wrote: I think it's pretty callous to call something that three people worked on for over two years full-time without pay overpriced.
Oh, poor babies. Let me throw a big pity party for the devs who decided to scrap most of the work they had done on it and start again from scratch.
And if they were that worried about funding, they could have put something on kickstarter.
Lol- you still havn't answered my question about which indie games you'd personally recommend.
These recent comments make me all the more interested eh?