Shmup stinkers

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kollision

Re: Shmup stinkers

Post by Kollision »

stryc9 wrote:...and I nominate Soldner X (the first one). Terrible, but at least they improved things with part 2.
I disagree. What do you mean by terrible?
This game is awesome. People hate it because of what? Most of them give up on the 2nd stage blaming visibility issues and excessive difficulty, I suppose.
And pls don't come with that euroshmup talk on this...
sunburstbasser

Post by sunburstbasser »

Your video for Spectrum 2000 is not the game I was referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWL_BryPCsY

I'll upload vids of other terrible games when I get the time.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Kollision wrote:
stryc9 wrote:...and I nominate Soldner X (the first one). Terrible, but at least they improved things with part 2.
This game is awesome. People hate it because of what? Most of them give up on the 2nd stage blaming visibility issues and excessive difficulty, I suppose.
The only thing I hate is the developers and how they screwed over those who got the PC version (like me, I have the L.E. and all, it's pretty good indeed :P... although I liked Steel Saviour a bit more) by denying us any further shooters. With Steam around, there is just no excuse. Especially because Shatter was also a PSN excluse that later jumped on PC.

Getting a bit offtopic. If you want to see a bloody awful shooter, look no further than Broken Thunder. Was it already mentioned? A shooter that turned so bad and suffered so much they had to wipe it out of the earth and the doujin circle that created it was casted away into oblivion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi5F1ha2nMg

Full metal goodes. (sic)

The music saves it from being even worse.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Annoyboy

Post by Annoyboy »

Who mentioned Steam Hearts? I find the Saturn version to be quite enjoyable. Oh, and Gunbird 2 (DC) is pretty awful.
So, are we expected to turn our TV on its side?!
Game Collection | 1CCs
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

sunburstbasser wrote:Your video for Spectrum 2000 is not the game I was referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWL_BryPCsY

I'll upload vids of other terrible games when I get the time.
Thanks for that. In all honesty that game doesn't look that bad. :|
Getting a bit offtopic. If you want to see a bloody awful shooter, look no further than Broken Thunder. Was it already mentioned?
It's been in for a while. :wink:
Last edited by Skykid on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

TVG

Post by TVG »

Oh, and Gunbird 2 (DC) is pretty awful.
Just in advance so you don't have to remove it later, GB2 on the DC is not awful. It's actually the best existing port of a great game. If you have a brain you won't add it next to, say, deep blue.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

The vagrant wrote:
Oh, and Gunbird 2 (DC) is pretty awful.
Just in advance so you don't have to remove it later, GB2 on the DC is not awful. It's actually the best existing port of a great game. If you have a brain you won't add it next to, say, deep blue.
That's fine, I wouldn't expect it to be awful. The problem is is if people don't specify particularly why something is poor (for example, "DC Gunbird 2 is dire because the port is terrible, the game is choppy and the music was redone by Mary J Blige") then I won't know any different unless I've already played it.
Annoyboy wrote:Who mentioned Steam Hearts? I find the Saturn version to be quite enjoyable. Oh, and Gunbird 2 (DC) is pretty awful.
I mentioned that one, although I think someone else did too.
It's pretty damn lousy, with boring, excessively long stages and a terrible blandness. I'd say it was stinker material.

TVG

Post by TVG »

Basically, if you don't want your topic to suck complete shit look at this thread:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=19544
If the game you're adding appears regularly on the top 25, it MIGHT be a good indication to not add it.

And remove raiden trad. While it's a lousy port for today's standarts, it was playable back in the day and it's still fucking raiden. I could understand raiden lynx or something but not raiden trad.
If we're adding lousy ports we might as well add gigawing generations.

Also look up bermuda triangle (arcade) by SNK, it's...surreal. Complete shit tho.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Kollision wrote:
No, Soldner X2 showed that SideQuest Studios had learned a lot since the first one. In SX1 You can't even destroy all the enemies before they leave the screen, the weapons were weedy, the formations were a chaotic mess and the pacing was tedious. I think it is generally accepted thatSX1 was criticily panned on release. If you like it, thats great but it is generally accepted as a stinker. X2 is probably the best example of a Euroshmup thus far, Iv'e actually put in about 15 hours of it, but I think a lot of that was the fact that up until November last year I only had PS3 and no J 360.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
TVG

Post by TVG »

Here's a vid of bermuda triangle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bamx8u6BWJE
This thread has potential.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

It has massive sprites and I'm willing to bet there isn't a tiny hitbox hidden in there.
TVG

Post by TVG »

stryc9 wrote:It has massive sprites and I'm willing to bet there isn't a tiny hitbox hidden in there.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was actually possible to understand what's going on. I'm pretty sure SNK heads were taking drubs when they made this. You have to try it.

I know someone said you shouldn't add Dooyong games but come on, you can't mention shit shmups without mentionning them. They're actually worth a try too, just for some quick laughts and to see what not to do when designing shmups.

I took the dooyong games list from shmup.com, maybe there's others.

Blue Hawk - Arcade
Flying Tiger - Arcade
Gulf Storm (Media Shoji) - Arcade
Pollux - Arcade
R-Shark - Arcade
The Last Day - Arcade
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Tyrian for PC
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

stryc9 wrote:Tyrian for PC
Poor bugger doesnt know how to play. :roll:
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

Skykid wrote:
devilmanozzy wrote:Darius + by the Edge
Any vids for that version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE71QT70LZ0
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
I hope your joking.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

The vagrant wrote:
stryc9 wrote:It has massive sprites and I'm willing to bet there isn't a tiny hitbox hidden in there.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was actually possible to understand what's going on. I'm pretty sure SNK heads were taking drubs when they made this. You have to try it.

I know someone said you shouldn't add Dooyong games but come on, you can't mention shit shmups without mentionning them. They're actually worth a try too, just for some quick laughts and to see what not to do when designing shmups.

I took the dooyong games list from shmup.com, maybe there's others.

Blue Hawk - Arcade
Flying Tiger - Arcade
Gulf Storm (Media Shoji) - Arcade
Pollux - Arcade
R-Shark - Arcade
The Last Day - Arcade
Stop bringing up Pollux, people - it's quite playable and it's got a fun gimmick that was just a bit undercooked. It tried so hard :'(
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

stryc9 wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:
I hope your joking.
It's been added and taken off the list again at least once on this thread for a good reason. ;)

People complain about it being bad and all because of its euroshmup features (pathetic weapon shot, shields) but the trick is picking the right weapons. There's far worse games than Tyrian.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Strikers 1945+ is bad because it's taken a vert game and put it in yoko in friggin' low res.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

stryc9 wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:
I hope your joking.
Yeah, his joking.
dsheinem

Post by dsheinem »

I'd remove

Soldner-X
1942 (NES)
1942 Joint Strike

I am not going to claim that any of these are great games, but they aren't bad. For all its faults Soldner-X was good looking and sounding, attempted some interesting chain mechanics, featured unlockables, and is interesting to play through still - even if the sequel is FAR superior.

1942 on the NES was decent for its time, and so I don't think it should be here. Compared to the arcade version it isn't very good, and it doesn't hold up well now, but I think games should be considered in context for any list like this.

Joint Strike I can see arguments for either way, but I genuinely enjoyed playing it - probably more for the aesthetics than for the gameplay itself. Still, some of the ideas - such as the ship chasing you back through the level - were interesting enough to merit a play through. Not a stinker.

the rest of the ones on the list I've played I certainly agree with. Philosoma is an abomination, Sol Divide is meh, and the listed Cho Aniki games are novel but broken.

I'd add to the list:

Blast Works: Build and Destroy - Wii
The Monkey King - Wii
Space Invaders - 2600

Both of these Wii games are painful to play - Blast Works is S-L-O-W and has very poor collision detection (a crucial mistake for a game based on colliding), and Monkey King's speed scheme is a horrid idea.

Space Invaders is a horrible port, even for the time. Just because it was popular doesn't mean it was good.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Thanks for the info guys. Some of the Dooyong ones I can't find vids for if anyone fancies doing a scout.
devilmanozzy wrote:
Skykid wrote:
devilmanozzy wrote:Darius + by the Edge
Any vids for that version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE71QT70LZ0
That's so terrible it's beyond belief. :)

I've removed Soldner X as a few people have disputed that now. Also Raiden Trad and NES 1942 (I agree it's not the best port, but considering the era and hardware it's not totally awful.) Joint Strike stays for the moment.
By the same rationale, I don't think Space Invaders 2600 needs to go on either. It doesn't look like the arcade much, but it looks like it plays a basic game of Space Invaders ok.

Thanks for Blast Works dsheinem, we've actually got Wii Monkey King up there already (Chuuka Taisen).

devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

Skykid wrote: I've removed Soldner X as a few people have disputed that now. Also Raiden Trad and NES 1942 (I agree it's not the best port, but considering the era and hardware it's not totally awful.) Joint Strike stays for the moment.

By the same rationale, I don't think Space Invaders 2600 needs to go on either. It doesn't look like the arcade much, but it looks like it plays a basic game of Space Invaders ok.
Yeah, love Space Invaders 2600 version. I played that in the 80's all the time after school. If anything it is a highlight in shmup genre for giving the arcade game a interesting port. (Typewriter rabbits....Crazy!)

Yeah Raiden Trad was a mediocre port. But it is quite playable, and the soundtrack actaully is quite enjoyable.
Last edited by devilmanozzy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Add Submarine Attack for the Sega Master System. It's one of the worst examples of the genre I've ever played.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

But your sub looks like a whale! That's a pretty cool ride, you gotta admit.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

Herr Schatten wrote:Add Submarine Attack for the Sega Master System. It's one of the worst examples of the genre I've ever played.
What is bad about it? Looks fun actaully.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Herr Schatten wrote:Add Submarine Attack for the Sega Master System. It's one of the worst examples of the genre I've ever played.
Ha ha, it's like an 8-bit version of In The Hunt! I've never seen that one before. Honestly, is it really awful? It doesn't look that terrible for the SMS. The top missile trajectory is a bit weird. :o
I've added it for the time being anyway, it's good to see all these obscure titles.

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

devilmanozzy wrote:
What is bad about it? Looks fun actaully.
- It has next to no level design
- nothing really happens for quite long stretches of time
- sometimes you don't know whether you hit an enemy or you don't (I still have no idea how I beat the boss of the ruins stage)
- it's pathetically easy

I posted more in-depth impressions here.
Skykid wrote:Ha ha, it's like an 8-bit version of In The Hunt!
It's a more like an 8-bit version of Deep Blue actually, just painfully easy instead of painfully hard.

I admit it looks rather nice, though.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't even like the "good" Darius games that much, but that's just painful to watch.
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

eXceed (that first one) is pretty shit