What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Going to marathon Killzone 2 this weekend. Fucking amazing so far. Basic gameplay, but the level of polish is just absurd.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Frickin' Home Run!

Team Fortress 2. With the Scout update it feels like a whole new game. Gave me a reason to polish up on my scout skills, although the Achievements are pretty absurd - went into an Achievements server to fight some of 'em out. More or less what I'd be doing in regular rounds (i.e. no co-op grinding, just trying not to grief people), but faster. 14 of the Achievements so far; the next one gets me The Sandman, and I'll do that in normal gameplay.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

MechWarrior 2, MechWarrior 4, and Okami.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Just for giggles, I installed Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War on my Sony UX, and to my surprise, it runs very smoothly, although with all graphic and audio details on the lowest settings.

I don't think I will be playing it seriously yet though, and I would use my desktop PC for that anyway.

With really bad timing, I bought the Diablo Battle Chest a while ago. I am playing through the first game and I am completely hooked. Oh crap.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

8 1/2 wrote:Going to marathon Killzone 2 this weekend. Fucking amazing so far. Basic gameplay, but the level of polish is just absurd.
I'm playing too, so far SP only, but goddamn it's been pretty challenging. I suck pretty bad at FPS' though.
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

The Coop wrote:MechWarrior 2, MechWarrior 4, and Okami.
How are you playing MechWarrior 2 on a recent PC? I haven't been able to get it to run and I'd love to dust it off for the nostalgia. I had much love for that game in high school.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

escadrille wrote:
How are you playing MechWarrior 2 on a recent PC? I haven't been able to get it to run and I'd love to dust it off for the nostalgia. I had much love for that game in high school.
The DOS version can run in DOSBox now, while the Win 95, 3DFX, and Titanium editions use this to get around the XP issues for the excutable. Of course, the 3DFX version (which the Win 95 version can be turned into) requires a bit more... namely, this and this.

The only downside, is that there's a weird mech tonnage bug, which leaves you unable to configure the mechs as you want. But, at least you can still play.

You can get a bit more info here.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The Coop wrote:
escadrille wrote:
The DOS version can run in DOSBox now, while the Win 95, 3DFX, and Titanium editions use this to get around the XP issues for the excutable. Of course, the 3DFX version (which the Win 95 version can be turned into) requires a bit more... namely, this and this.

The only downside, is that there's a weird mech tonnage bug, which leaves you unable to configure the mechs as you want. But, at least you can still play.

DOS version in DOSBox doesn't have those problems though, right?

Also Street Fighter III : 3rd Strike. Haven't played in ages, so I suck.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

null1024 wrote:
The Coop wrote:
escadrille wrote: How are you playing MechWarrior 2 on a recent PC? I haven't been able to get it to run and I'd love to dust it off for the nostalgia. I had much love for that game in high school.

DOS version in DOSBox doesn't have those problems though, right?
Not that I'm aware of.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Psychonauts. Made out of fucking win.
I'm at the milkman conspiracy ATM ;)
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Street Fighter IV and Left 4 Dead, still
Davey

Post by Davey »

Tetris Splash, 40 Line Mode

Meh Tetris game + Leaderboard = Awesome Tetris game
D

Post by D »

Poker 2008 battle for the bracelets PS3
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

Wipeout HD. Finished the campaign mode (all gold on novice) and have beaten about half the campaign on Elite difficulty. Great game.
You cannot stop me with Paramecium alone!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

MadScientist wrote:Wipeout HD. Finished the campaign mode (all gold on novice) and have beaten about half the campaign on Elite difficulty. Great game.
just got a PS3 myself and tried the demo for this the other night and i was pretty impressed...the graphics are sexy as hell and it plays quite smoothly...i will probably be picking this up this weekend....

now whats this i hear you can use your own music as the soundtrack for the game...this true?
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Legend of Legaia. 2nd best battle system in a RPG.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Mega Man X4 [and I suck at it]
F-Zero X [Just bothered to beat all 3 cups on easy in first place, going to try to do the same on normal and hard soon.]
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

jonny5 wrote: now whats this i hear you can use your own music as the soundtrack for the game...this true?
Yeah, it supports custom soundtracks. I haven't used that feature myself, but it's there if you want it.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

ZOM wrote:Legend of Legaia. 2nd best battle system in a RPG.
but the game itself is so simple it hurts.
i played it a while do enjoy its pure simpleness but i kinda stopped.
meh
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote:Tetris Splash, 40 Line Mode

Meh Tetris game + Leaderboard = Awesome Tetris game
LOL

There is a Tetris Grandmaster game for Japan 360. I am considering to get it maybe…

Not sure what I'll be playing this week. I am going to put the Black Label Extra down and play some other non shooting games… I still have Lost Odyssey to get back to or maybe tear into this new Star Ocean game… :?
Or maybe I'll plow through some Duck Tales & Rescue Rangers.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

SF4 and Savage Moon.
Fight Like A Robot!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

forum browser EX

:roll: :lol:
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

elfhentaifan wrote:
ZOM wrote:Legend of Legaia. 2nd best battle system in a RPG.
but the game itself is so simple it hurts.
i played it a while do enjoy its pure simpleness but i kinda stopped.
meh
Yes, I know what you mean.
Legaia 2 is a bit more complex but lacks the eerie atmosphere; and that's why I'm enjoying Legaia 1 so far.
It's simple 'story-event A' ---dungeon---> 'story-event B' gameplay, but the whole mist/seru crap mixed with curious bgm tunes is what keeps me going.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

ROBOTRON wrote:SF4 and Savage Moon.
I just beat Savage Moon earlier this evening. Only missing two levels (3-2 and 3-3) that I need a perfect clear on. Decent game - the later levels tend to require similar strategies to beat them, so it could have done with a bit more variety. Maybe they'll make some more available through DLC.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sonic R wrote:There is a Tetris Grandmaster game for Japan 360. I am considering to get it maybe…
I don't remember the specifics, but supposedly that was a really disappointing port. Some single player modes were only available online and some other weird shit. I thought about buying that right after I got my 360 to hold me over until Ketsui came out, but the general consensus seemed to be that playing TGM2+ in MAME (or even Heboris) was actually the better experience.

And TGM is one game where it's easy to side with elitists. There are a zillion versions of Tetris for the casual gamer already; TGM is really geared towards the serious Tetris player. I'm not there yet, but I'd like to be.

Having said that, if you pick up a copy and don't like it, I'd probably buy it off you anyway. 8)

That aside, I was 9th place this week in Tetris Splash for both Marathon and 40 Line earlier today. Of course, the week is young...
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

The Coop wrote:
escadrille wrote:

Thanks! I have the Titanium pack lying around somewhere and I wasn't able to get it to run on my new machine when I upgraded a few years ago.

OT, been playing the new GTA4 expansion and SF4.
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

Primarily Left 4 Dead Versus mode on PC but mixed in with some NiGHTS on PS2 and Garou MOTW on DS via Neo DS.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

SF3 and some Smash Bros [N64].
dtdg

Post by dtdg »

Twilight Princess and RE4 for the Wii

Does anyone have any tips on how to defeat the Village Chief?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I should give MechWarrior 2 another wack with the hints above.

Lucky me, though: I have more than enough Win98 machines about that I could try it out that way. I might need to find the ol' Voodoo 3 2000 though. Hope it doesn't suck terribly.

I'm rather shy on Glide Wrappers, as the one I used on Diablo II (for the excellent perspective mode) seemed to fuck over a previous XP install. Buyer beware on those...the one linked says it might have some problems.