DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

Arvandor

Re: DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

Post by Arvandor »

Yeah, I got one up and running and played a few credits. I'm not quite sure it's the same version of MAME I normally use though (Mame32ip99?), so if by some miracle I beat my score, there will be a mutant replay to accompany it =P For better or for worse, I don't see that happening though.

I still don't have the sustainable patience for this game I once did. I just can't keep interest and hold focus for more than an hour or so.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I'll be in Paris on the 22nd for the shooting of a commentary on my 505M run, for a show called "superplay" broadcasted on some rather underground French TV channel. That's pretty cool. Basically the show will display a video of my run and me and a guy will be explaining how the game and scoring system works and commentating on what's going on and what it's like to practice and play the game.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Sweet, if there's ever a subtitled version available for download, you'll have to point it out to us =P
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I highly doubt that but if that's the case I'll post about it yeah.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I'm done. No more Dodonpachi for me.

It's been 8 months and a couple dozen hours of play time since my last improvement (and up to that point I had improved fairly considerably once a month or so), and I don't even make it to loop 2 hardly ever anymore (of course I've become even more stubborn about bombing too.)

I die on stage 3 a good 10% of the time, stage 4 80% of the time, stage 5 90% of the time, and stage 6 90% of the time. The likelyhood of dying a second time soon after my first trying to recover or because I'm pissed off and not being as focused as I should is pretty high as well. This effect is magnified when I feel that I shouldn't have died (that bullet was no where near me! Or I pressed the bomb button at least 20 frames ago, why the hell didn't it fire?) It's a recipe for broken monitors.

I was kind of hoping, and very mistakenly expecting to get at least semi-consistant at the first loop (like how I am with stages 1-3), but clearly that's just not within my capabilities. I'm not really enjoying the game anymore. I was having more fun back when I'd 1cc a game and then move on to another, so I may go back to doing that.

And to think I used to consider myself pretty good at video games, with superb reflexes and unnatural hand-eye coordination and whatnot. Clearly I was delusional.

/QQ rant
lgb

Post by lgb »

take a break, come back later; you might get way better

this has happened to me a couple of times
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Yes, lgb yes!
I am believing more in this each day.
Cool!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I bet you still havent bothered to memorize a precise route for stage 4 5 and 6 that you always use, Arvandor. Its critical for success. Do not be shy on the bombs either, unless there is no other way to beat your old high score. Which isn't the case yet as you could beat that score even if you bombed in the first loop. You could bomb the hardest part of stage 5 and still keep the chain! That definitely wouldn't be a bad plan, and that's what i was doing for a long time before I could one life the first loop consistently.
Follow me on Twitch??
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Wahey, I got the 1cc on this after only a dozen plays on my new PCB. Another Cave game falls, I feel mighty! (Please ignore my pitiful score though :P )

I know this isn't even on the scoreboard at all, but just for my own reference:

Ship type C-L

Stage: ALL (1st loop)

Max hit: 248

The game is awesome. :mrgreen:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

nii-san

Post by nii-san »

Hello, congratulations for this page.
The Dodonpachi is one of my favorites games.
Stage: 1-6 ( no finish)
C-S
300 hit
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

nii-san wrote:Hello, congratulations for this page.
Why thank you :D
bye bye MJR
nii-san

Post by nii-san »

A little more...

area 2-2
hit 351
C-S
LtC

Post by LtC »

So I decided to play some runs of DDP since a while and these came up

LtC - 103,328,730 - 2-4 - C-L - 499HIT
LtC - 106,453,220 - 2-5 - C-L - 396HIT

Both really shitty runs. The latter score would've been 5-10M higher if I didn't use the wrong kind of bomb in stage 6.

no inputs (get in the falsificar)
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Haha, I finally made it onto the board. >_<

moozooh - 39,682,730 - 1-6 - C-S - 372HIT

Perfect stages 1, 2, and 4, two ridiculously stupid deaths on stage 3 and 5 each, and a half-decent stage 6. Could have beaten the boss if I just used all my bombs cleverly.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Updated. Sorry to CPN, who got knocked off, and also to LtC, whose score I forgot to update until now.
Congrats to LtC for reaching 2-5, and to moozooh for making the high score table! It's pretty stacked for a table with 50 places :wink:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

btw Ravid I think you should add a little line that says the replays in the bottom are to be played back with wolfmameplus 99 because there are quite a bunch of people trying to watch them that aren't registered and don't know about the whole playing back thing, it would help them.
Follow me on Twitch??
Krondelo

Post by Krondelo »

I really suck compared to you guys, but for me this is an improvement. I still did terrible though.
The path to Heaven is ridden with bullets of Hell.
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Keep at it dude, we all gotta start somewhere. Feel free to continue posting your improvements, and when you break 40mil I'll stick you on the table :)
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I know the score doens´t make it in the list by far, but I just wanted to post it simply because I´m already a bit proud of it... :lol:
The first and (till now) single Cave shooter which I played a bit more intensively.

Battletoad - 17,701,850 - C-S - 1-5 - 186 Hits

Maybe I´ll try to improve some other time, but I don´t like playing in Mame that much, mainly because of my bad USB pad.
Krondelo

Post by Krondelo »

Thanks Ravid, I have a common goal now. And I am improving. Funny, me and BattleToad suck the same! I was proud of this one too.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Cool. :D
I hope you beat my score and keep on improving, that would be a great motivation for me to play it more...
Krondelo

Post by Krondelo »

Battletoad wrote:Cool. :D
I hope you beat my score and keep on improving, that would be a great motivation for me to play it more...
Well here you go then, I just vastly improved.
I made it to the stage 5 boss I think, the one that does the big explosion things that are brutal. Yeah he got me.
If you can beat this I will be impressed, I know you could, but yeah, that was hard.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was kinda pissed though because the game lagged when I was putting in my initials. That should read ASY.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Alright, I've been steadily improving, and I've finally cracked the scoreboard.

linko9 - 40,009,640 - A-L - 1-6 - 465 Hits
Krondelo

Post by Krondelo »

Wow, nice job Linko. I think its going to be a while before I crack it. Yesterday for the first time ever I got the score I wanted on Stage 1, but then I completely botched Stage 2. My best score on stage 1 so far is 2.9 mill.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

That's what I always get for stage 1 too, since I completely ignore bees. At this point, I'm only chaining the first two stages, and I'm starting to learn stage 4 now, so once I get that down my score should get much better. I'd recommend just using save states to practice the same stage or portion of a stage over and over again. I don't know how arcade-only players manage to get so good without the ability to practice stages over and over (unless of course they're playing batrider or some such game that lets you do this).
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

linko9 wrote:I don't know how arcade-only players manage to get so good without the ability to practice stages over and over (unless of course they're playing batrider or some such game that lets you do this).
They play 10 times as long as you do to learn the same thing and achieve the same results.
Follow me on Twitch??
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Don't bother chaining the first stage. Stage 2 is only good for second loop hit chain requirement, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it either. Practice survival on stages 3 to 6 instead, as it brings way better results in any respect.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
TLB

Post by TLB »

moozooh wrote:Don't bother chaining the first stage. Stage 2 is only good for second loop hit chain requirement, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it either. Practice survival on stages 3 to 6 instead, as it brings way better results in any respect.
+1
Krondelo

Post by Krondelo »

I haven't used a single save state in all my play in DDP. It does get kind of annoying but hey, I love this game so I just keep coming back. And wow, I got soo much better over the last week it was crazy. I wasn't even playing DDP for a while either. I will improve a lot once I quite making those stupid mistakes, I tend to die a lot trying not to bomb at all really, except on some latter bosses. But I usually die with a full or nearly full bombstock. Once I get consistent my scores should rise, but being consistent in this game is damn near impossible for me ;)
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

moozooh wrote:Don't bother chaining the first stage. Stage 2 is only good for second loop hit chain requirement, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it either. Practice survival on stages 3 to 6 instead, as it brings way better results in any respect.
WHY WOULDN'T YOU CHAIN THE FIRST 2 EASIEST LEVELS ?THATS THROWING AWAY 15+ MILLION POINTS.
PLAESE NOT TO GIVE ADVICE