Diablo 3

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Barrakketh

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Barrakketh »

Despatche wrote:the secret level was way too funny for its own good, i think
The music is pretty creepy when reversed.

The amusing part about that it the normal version is the one that's actually reversed - the one you hear in the above link is based off of a classical piano piece, 'Gaspard de la nuit - Le Gibet'.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

I've been gearing up for Inferno over the last few days. Melee characters (Monk & Barbarian) are borderline useless, because we have sacrifice a ton of stats to have any chance at withstanding the damage some enemies are dishing out. Meanwhile, Wizards and Demon Hunters can kite everything while doing a bazillion DPS from a mile away.

And tomorrow, Blizzard is going to nerf the Monk's only chance at healing through the damage LOL
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

I've been playing the second loop (lol) of the game with my demon hunter and iconoclast is basically right. I literally just vault away from everything while holding down right click to machine gun things to death. I've just finished act 1 and I've not died a single time yet.

I have 2 good weapons for my level, and basically the game isn't any harder than normal difficulty. I'm actually really disappointed that the bosses don't have different abilities like the elite enemies do, the Butcher was exactly the same. He probably did more damange or something but he's so pathetic that I never got hit. The burny floor thing he did hurt a lot for the second I was in it when I got a lag spike though.

If I actually manage to no-miss the 2nd loop and the 3rd isn't MUCH more challenging, I'll basically stop playing the game.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
ryu

Post by ryu »

just played the trial. i think it's a bad game, but to be honest i also don't value diablo II much higher. d II definitely has more atmosphere and, because of its age, some sort of excuse for the dumb controls.

i mean who thought this click-fest was a good idea in 2012? even wow plays better with keyboard movement and a large number of skills that can be used with whatever keys you desire. why's the player in diablo III still limited to 6 skills? it plays just like one of these "rpg" custom warcraft III maps! tunneled map-design included.

all that aside, it pissed me off that the game has a forced tutorial that was even worse than the forced tutorial of other contemporary games i've played. i also find it questionable that the game forces you to beat it on easy mode first.

i didn't even think this was fun after the first view minutes of mindless grinding, it just felt really annoying that the game wanted me to click myself through more and more and even more hoards of enemies.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Due to my spectacular disappointment in this game, I gave Path of Exile another look over. And I'll play it when it launches in a ~month.

One thing I like is how this guy talks at length about his guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttm4eSQ73w0

Now, it's boring as poo to listen to. Diablo characters are like children: their parents want to talk at length about their plans and accomplishments, but no one else in the universe gives a damn.

That's a sign that the two core aspects of the ARPG are being met: that blend of expectations and longing.
ryu wrote:i mean who thought this click-fest was a good idea in 2012?
Diablo is Freecell for nerds.
why's the player in diablo III still limited to 6 skills?
Because the game was designed to be ported to consoles so it can make the big boy $$$. (It will not be making the big boy console $$$. Because even for everything it sacrificed, it is still a mouse+kb game.)

As one of the things I've been mentioning around, an Item Set of two rings that summon Black Jade and Red Vex when used can be added to Diablo 2 trivially, but Diablo 3 can't even do this basic function.
it plays just like one of these "rpg" custom warcraft III maps! tunneled map-design included.
You know, the first thing I thought when reaching the town and all the non-character random NPCs shouted out quips at me was "This reminds me a lot of Warcraft 3...."
click myself through more and more and even more hoards of enemies.
You click a lot less if you just hold the mouse button down. Like, with Galaxy Orb. For all three casts you can get out of it.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

just got this yesterday played about 6h and enjoyed it.
woke this morning account hacked and gone.
starcraft 2 locked too.

good job blizzard.

only played solo no public games etc...
pretty pissed.

ps:i think there is a lot of similarities between shmups and diablo,go figure.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^Open that video, switch to a new tab, and imagine it's Peppy Hare from Starfox 64 talking. :lol:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:^Open that video, switch to a new tab, and imagine it's Peppy Hare from Starfox 64 talking. :lol:
It wasn't too hard to imagine, really.

That guy is the 8)
njiska

Post by njiska »

Have to admit, I kind of want my money back. All I want to do is just play through the campaign once, by myself, and it's turning out to be really hard to do. Between lag deaths and other server annoyances I've pretty much lost all interest in Diablo 3. I've barely played it, only getting to Act II on Sunday, and now when I decided I actually want to give it another try, I can't, because of server issues. First the server is full, then I need a patch, then the game tells me it's up-to-date, then it bitches about the patch again.

I could tolerate this from a free to play Korean game that didn't cost me anything, but I paid $60 for this game, money is tight, and I was really hoping to get more out of it. If I could return my copy right now, I would.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

So Diablo 3 sucks then? Looks like it didn't fall far from the tree - Diablo 1 is one of my most loathed games of all time (on a pure gameplay level). It is hilarious to me that The Butcher is a highly regarded encounter and not the most widely-ridiculed boss fight in videogame history, which is what it ought to be.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

It is hilarious to me that The Butcher is a highly regarded encounter and not the most widely-ridiculed boss fight in videogame history, which is what it ought to be.[/quote]

It's like the Chainsaw dude in Resident Evil 4.

A Classic.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

njiska wrote:Have to admit, I kind of want my money back. All I want to do is just play through the campaign once, by myself, and it's turning out to be really hard to do. Between lag deaths and other server annoyances I've pretty much lost all interest in Diablo 3. I've barely played it, only getting to Act II on Sunday, and now when I decided I actually want to give it another try, I can't, because of server issues. First the server is full, then I need a patch, then the game tells me it's up-to-date, then it bitches about the patch again.

I could tolerate this from a free to play Korean game that didn't cost me anything, but I paid $60 for this game, money is tight, and I was really hoping to get more out of it. If I could return my copy right now, I would.
I'm getting fairly deep into the game and I've yet to experience a single server issue or any lag. I understand there were early "server full" problems, but I honestly haven't experienced that either.

It's funny.. seems that each forum I visit has taken a stance and it's either cool to like the game or hate on it. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Personally I'm enjoying it a lot.

Edit: hahaha jinx.. just got the server busy
Last edited by brentsg on Wed May 30, 2012 2:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

The chainsaw guy is actually awesome tho.

This is The Butcher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBe5gEvZXY
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
njiska

Post by njiska »

brentsg wrote: I'm getting fairly deep into the game and I've yet to experience a single server issue or any lag. I understand there were early "server full" problems, but I honestly haven't experienced that either.

It's funny.. seems that each forum I visit has taken a stance and it's either cool to like the game or hate on it. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Personally I'm enjoying it a lot.

Edit: hahaha jinx.. just got the server busy
It's not about whether it's cool to like or hate the game for me. I fully well acknowledge that everyone is having a difference lag-wise based on geographic location, internet provider, quality of connection, etc. But for me it's just been a regular problem. It's not that the lag has been bad, just that it has been bad at the wrong times and it's resulted in several character deaths. It makes the whole play experience frustrating and that in turn has decreased my interest in the product to almost zero. I'm genuinely glad that other player's are having a good time, but I'm just not. I am very disappointed and I feel like I wasted my $60. It's a real shame too because I genuinely enjoyed the beta for the 6 months I was on it. Never saw these problems at that time.

Still trying to decide if I will pursue a refund or not. I know Blizzard will give them for up to 30 days, even on retail copies.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Aguraki wrote:account hacked and gone.
Java, Flash, and Silverlight are given ridiculous privileges over someone's computer. Damn things should force you to opt-in to use them on specific websites..

Also, Blizzard passwords aren't CaSe sEnsiTive. I was kind of shocked to learn that last week. Also amazed by people defending it with the "eh it doesn't really matter" reasoning.
Have to admit, I kind of want my money back.
Do it do it. For our future. If you have a boxed copy and are in North America: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150109520

Do it.

It'd be one less cheeseburger for Jay Wilson. He needs this. You need this. We need this.
He's a good interior decorator.

Ye, abusing the ai is cheese (the stairs are far more effective than the bars, arrows don't stray), but you can dive into the next floor for awhile and buff your guy a little more and the fight becomes more than fair.

Diablo 1 is remarkably well balanced, in that you can play singleplayer and have enough resources (gold, exp, items) to win the game in one push. Not so much the chain lightning melting everything on the screen in one cast sense, no.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I just tried WoW quickly for couple of levels, and it certainly isn't better game than D3. Controls in WoW are especially horrible.

D3 entertains me because of its production values, but I cant imagine myself bothering to play it several times over and over again. 1 hour every evening is enough for me to enjoy the pretty graphics. I spend more time on Akai Katana.
njiska

Post by njiska »

MJR wrote:I spend more time on Akai Katana.
I spend more time playing Dragon's Lair with a Kinect than I do playing D3.
MJR

Post by MJR »

njiska wrote:
MJR wrote:I spend more time on Akai Katana.
I spend more time playing Dragon's Lair with a Kinect than I do playing D3.
Good for you!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

MJR wrote:I just tried WoW quickly for couple of levels, and it certainly isn't better game than D3.
It is a better game for what it is. Very much intended to be played while eating tacos and watching TV at the same time, and make you feel like you're making progress while pooping.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

The way blizzard are treating their customers has become shocking beyond belief now. This game has good design but is crippled by many terrible choices obviously targetting maximum "real money auction house" sales. I now truly hate Blizzard. RIP to them.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

so I got my account back in less than a day and I really enjoy this game so far.
never played d1 or d2 before but did titan quest and d3 feels so much better(mobs cant block u in titan quest)
I really dig the graphics and that the game can be played for casuals or for more advanced players.
Im in hell act 1 now and this game is tough.
not sure what RMAH gonna bring because I cant see any reason to buy an item with real dolls.

yup Ive sold my soul :D
CMPXCHG8B

Post by CMPXCHG8B »

The way blizzard are treating their customers has become shocking beyond belief now. This game has good design but is crippled by many terrible choices obviously targetting maximum "real money auction house" sales. I now truly hate Blizzard. RIP to them.
Amen to that. I'm in Inferno right now, and it's borderline impossible. Some guys figured out how to do it (read: they figured out how to play the game), and Blizzard's immediate response was to nerf everything to hell because it made them look bad after they said their own development team couldn't beat Inferno (so I guess nobody can, and they're going to make sure of that).

Loot drops are fucking pathetic, and I know it has to do with the RMAH. The moment that thing launches, Blizzard's gonna be knocking on your door asking for another $20-$60 just to get the gear you NEED to actually play Inferno through properly without kiting (which is boring as hell, I can't believe people put up with that crap). In the mean time, they've definitely locked down the drop system so everything is controlled and the number of decent items out there is so negligible that it will make the RMAH seem like a godsend when it finally launches with all the right equipment.

What really pisses me off the most, is that I didn't even get the game I thought I was paying for.

I thought I was buying this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0YkUH6r6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4K6e2q10g

Instead I got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnXDvdoYsvQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1coEg5BaSS8

The icing on the cake is the backwards 8-bit techno for that level.

-CMPX
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

From what I read, Inferno requires you to eventually have maximum +resist gear (resist affects physical damage now. We are truly in a godless world) on every single item slot to do it. And of course there's a DPS check on the bosses. So that's the entirety of the item game apparently.

My favorite Diablo3.txt moment so far:

Also when will I stop looking like.. whatever the hell this is?
I blame Chris Metzen for everything, especially the douche pose the Hunter makes on the selection screen.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Yeah i got very bored with the game very quickly after I looped it
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Has anyone managed to beat Inferno yet? Or is it impossible without RMAH items?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
CMPXCHG8B

Post by CMPXCHG8B »

Has anyone managed to beat Inferno yet? Or is it impossible without RMAH items?
If by beat, you mean "running through most of the levels and avoiding as much damage as possible", then yes- it's possible and completely doable. The bosses are for the most part easier then most mobs (especially elite mobs), since they're pretty predictable and easy to manipulate.

If you meant actually clearing the map of enemies, then the game basically turns into an endless kitefest. It's still doable, just not in any reasonable timespan. After you've died a few hundred times, things tend to get a bit bland and boring.

-CMPX
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I finished my second playthrough on Nightmare with my Monk last night (currently level 53), and began playing on Hell, and it's definitely a jump in difficulty. I haven't run into any full-fledged roadblocks yet, but there are some combinations of elite mob attributes that are borderline impossible to deal with in any way besides working around them (things like fast plagued waller which can lock you into basically inescapable situations) and some battles that took several deaths to work through them. So far, it doesn't actually seem as though the bosses get any more difficult at higher levels though. They still have the same attack patterns, just higher health.

Health potions are also basically useless after a certain point. Right now, the highest level potions I can get are Resplendent, which heal for 6,500, but my character is currently somewhere around 25,000 life total, and a lot of things at the level I'm at can easily knock that much health off in one hit (and even the highest level health potions available at level 58 only heal 12,500,) and even that comes with a 30-second cooldown.

I also saw something from a Blizzard rep yesterday with some stats on the game, and it said that only around 1.8% of all players had even unlocked Inferno difficulty at that time, so even getting there is pretty tough.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
MJR

Post by MJR »

This fucking game does not seem to even start any more. I've been trying to play this yesterday and day before, and all I got was error 73 & 74, or then it just got stuck on retrieving hero list.

Bugs are another thing, glitches that make it impossible to even start fucking playing are much more serious.

MR
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

This game is filled to the brim with problems, missteps, awful design choices, and tired game mechanics, but fuck if it isn't addicting as all hell. I shit on it all day at work with my coworkers and then play all night when I get home. :oops:

Currently playing level 60 witch doctor on Inferno, Act 2. Hit me up if you're playing @ Pixelblip#1658. Lord knows I'll be on tonight.