Senko no Ronde 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TaygetaVendetta

Re: Senko no Ronde 2

Post by TaygetaVendetta »

Elixir wrote:
adversity1 wrote:Note: I'm not so sure about the netcode on this one. Today I played about 12 Arcade 待ちうけ (what is this in English?).
Arcade mode with requestable matches? I think SF4 has that.

Also gamerpics up if anyone cares → http://a.yfrog.com/img22/5210/62299036.png
All of those are contained in the 2 packs up now? Do you have any idea of how they're split up or which one contains which? I want to get whatever pack has the (non-SD) pic of Cuilan in it.
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

It might be just me but I have encountered a freezing bug when checking out the ranking leader boards. The freeze occurs when I press either right or left bumpers from the top of the leader board list. The screen darkens slightly and a loading sign appears in the middle of the screen and the box freezes completely, cuts me from my xbox live pt so I know its a freeze.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Yeah, G.Rev's resources were really strained at the porting of this game. The menu presentation was pretty much a telltale sign. If you want to test final BOSS mode on your character for example, you have to keep pausing to turn off and on the vanish setting in the menu every time you activate it, unlike in Rev.X.

They also seem to have nerfed Shinobu's Main+Sub CC range. It's still effective at neutralizing bullets from the size of the wind distortion that you see when she uses it, but the actual hitbox to nail a Rounder with it is like, literally only a few pixels away from the center of Shinobu's Rounder (as indicated by the red Circle that surrounds it).

Also discovered that the CC system now uses a rock+paper+scissors style of determining what will hit or not. The gist is a certain CC attack will always have priority over another even if the latter's animation frames clearly show that it should've nailed the Rounder already:

- Main Weapon chase CC defeats Sub Weapon CC attacks
- Sub Weapon chase CC defeats Main+Sub CC attacks
- Main+Sub CC attacks defeat Main Weapon chase CC
- CC clashes (in classic, this was when both Rounders would engage in close combat but something would trigger them to both knockback instead) only occur now only when both Rounders choose the same CC attack AND only if the first frames of their hit animations occur at the same time. Oh, and the hitboxes of these attacks also need to come into contact with each other as well.

Also, wtf is up with Fabian's 360 command move having actual CC properties while Changpo's doesn't? I've gotten nailed a few times from the AI's Rounder charging right up to me because she's pretty much helpless since Changpo can't dash out of it and she has no CC arc in front of her when she swings her sword to execute that special move. I know it's more of an Anti-BOSS ability, but contextually speaking, it makes no sense.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

dai jou bu wrote:Yeah, G.Rev's resources were really strained at the porting of this game.
Grev is basically one Japanese guy typing away in a closet. Pretty impressive, considering.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

EOJ wrote:Grev is basically one Japanese guy typing away in a closet. Pretty impressive, considering.
I've seen better.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Maybe I'm just missing your point, but Blizzard was started by 3 people, right? At the time, small dev companies weren't abnormal anyway.

Burningvigor: Ignore the stats on character select, they don't really mean anything. I only know about the first game, but A vs B makes a pretty sizable difference for most characters. Lots of things are changed a bit, but the most important differences are in bullet patterns (including in BOSS mode) and how much meter damage certain moves do. That last bit is underappreciated by a lot of people. dai jou bu made a great guide about game mechanics, but sadly most of the western knowledge about characters and matchups were never really written down or consolidated anywhere, although a couple of people tried to start. The best you can do is ask the best western players for each particular rounder for tips. Try the YouTube Senko no Ronde group, although it's kinda dead now I think. Actually I think the closest we ever got was this thread, but even the info there is outdated i.e. pre-latest patch. (Feel free to add my GT, I'm the 2nd poster in that thread.)

Anyway it's too bad the fighter players never cared about this game (if only it was made earlier and released on the Dreamcast), because we really miss having an oratan.com like the VOOT guys have.

adversity1: It's all preference, but mine would be for ranking points to be zero-sum. That way nobody could grind for higher ranking, although sadly that's how everyone implements them. The way it is now, you have no idea how good your opponent is in any game besides actually playing them. Not really a big deal, but still. Also if you have scans or good info, I'd much rather see them in the strategy subforum (where they belong, after all) than here.

I agree with the piece-it-together-yourself story format of the first game being better, but it's not a big deal to me.

Rev X really does have the classiest graphics of any game I've seen.

Besides the temporary stun of overdrive, another really useful effect is the bullet canceling you get, especially used at the end of rounds. Effective overdrive was kind of an advanced technique that many people probably ignored, so I guess that's why they would take it out of DUO.

RPS for CC makes sense. In the original, close-range barrage usually trumped everything else, even though you needed to spend meter for it of course.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Burningvigor wrote:When I click arcade mode, I see 3 options pop up. Im assuming thats the difficulty?
First selection is the mode that G.Rev used for the Arcade version of the game. The second one (Commander Style?) is a really weird take on that mode. In that one, you instead play the role of the support character while the Rounder pilot is controlled by the AI. You press the main, sub weapons, or barrage buttons to say something to the Rounder pilot to try to cheer them up or aggravate them (Changpo sounds funny when you make her mad). You can also try to tell the Rounder pilot where to go by moving in that direction, but that saps their morale fairly quickly. Since you're also the support character for the Rounder pilot, you also determine when to let them go into B.O.S.S. mode, but they still are the ones to call in the character assist. I have no idea if their behavior carries over on repeated plays for that particular cartridge though.

The third selection is the settings for arcade mode (difficulty, Round timer, etc).
Enhasa wrote:Maybe I'm just missing your point, but Blizzard was started by 3 people, right? At the time, small dev companies weren't abnormal anyway.
Well, G.Rev also does ports as well as original games for other companies, but they haven't risen to the stratosphere like Blizzard did within the same timeframe, which they needed to do for a project like this.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Loving the replay features. Some awesome high-level play on display for every damn mode!
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

blargh, I need to download them then. -_-
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

What the fuck does this game want me to do about Ranatus' beam attack during her BOSS form? Counter-beam? Is that all you can do?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Does anyone know how I can play this online with my North American GamerTag?

I can't seem to connect for some reason.. not sure if I'm doing it right but I go all the way down to the Xbox Live option and..... not sure what to do next?
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Shelcoof wrote:Does anyone know how I can play this online with my North American GamerTag?

I can't seem to connect for some reason.. not sure if I'm doing it right but I go all the way down to the Xbox Live option and..... not sure what to do next?
you're selecting the wrong option. That Xbox Live thing at the very bottom is for Marketplace items.

Here's where you need to go, taken directly from G.Rev's video at 00:52

Actually, if you look at the video from G.Rev, it shows you exactly what to do. Select that one from the image, then select the top-most one on the second screen, then the two options on the third is:

1. Ranked Match
2. Player Match

Which both have the same functions as in Rev. X.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, after a match is over, what the game asks you is if you want to save a replay of that. When you view it again (which is the item right below the one in that screenshot), it'll remove all of the latency you experienced from that match.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Might someone make a rough translation of the menus??? I am starting to get pissed off, really. Rev X at least had menus in english but this one.... I should learn some japanese.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Yeah, this is partially what I mean by the menu presentation being ugly.

I'll do a rough one if there's enough people who want it. Maybe like, over 10?

It's kind of a pain in the butt on my end since I have to set up my capture equipment to do it, unless someone else wants to do that part for me.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Ok fuck this. The online for this game is completely broken. The slowdown is completely intolerable.

I'm one level away from Rounder and practically rolling dice with anyone I play with because of the extreme slowdown.

When Grev fixes this shit, I'll get back online.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

adversity1 wrote:Ok fuck this. The online for this game is completely broken. The slowdown is completely intolerable.

I'm one level away from Rounder and practically rolling dice with anyone I play with because of the extreme slowdown.

When Grev fixes this shit, I'll get back online.
They were supposed to fix the online before release. That was the main cause for the delay but it seems that it still broken. So I am wondering where on earth were they spending the developement time........ mmmmmm hostess maybe???
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

dai jou bu: Thanks for clearing that up lol. Man I thought my Live membership expired because I haven't played online for like 6 months lol.

BTW guys does anyone know what the arcade layout is? I'm using an SFIV Joystick not sure how the buttons are mapped.
Maybe some one can correct me? I'm interested in using the arcade original button mapping.

[X][Y][RB][LB]
[A][RT][LT]

A = Dash, Block
X = Main (at least I think so)
Y = Sub Weapon (think it is sub)
RB = Some move that spins you around? (not sure if this is suppose to have a dedicated button or I could push another button for it)
X + Y = Partner
A + X + Y = BOSS

And for some reason these buttons are
LB = Partner
RT = Block

Anyways let me know thanks :)
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Phellan Wolf wrote: They were supposed to fix the online before release. That was the main cause for the delay but it seems that it still broken. So I am wondering where on earth were they spending the developement time........ mmmmmm hostess maybe???
Yeah I want to stress that above all things I'm frustrated with the slowdown more than anything. With a true turd like Otomedius or Strike Witches, we can say that those companies just didn't care.

But this release has a ton of fan service in it. The awesome story mode, the replays, scoreboards, score mode etc. It really has everything I was looking for. The fact that Grev took an extra month to fix network play and then it winds up like this is indeed bizarre.

I've read up on 2ch about other people experiencing lag matches but I'm not sure it's universal. Some people are speculating that it could be related to people putting MHF memories in their 360, but I don't think people using external memories are that common.

I wish it was something simple like the MS servers were fucked up or something and will be repaired next week.

------------

Shelcoof, there is an Arcade Stick setting in the control options, try switching it around.

It should go

A A
B M
X S
Y C
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

adversity1 wrote:
Phellan Wolf wrote:
Shelcoof, there is an Arcade Stick setting in the control options, try switching it around.

It should go

A A
B M
X S
Y C
I saw that in the menu but it was all in japanese.

The buttons you have listed are for pad or joystick? I'm using the SFIV stick and I don't think B is used. I'm going to assume its

_[M][S][C]
[A][_][_]
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

Shelcoof wrote:
adversity1 wrote:
Phellan Wolf wrote:

It should go

A A
B M
X S
Y C
I saw that in the menu but it was all in japanese.

The buttons you have listed are for pad or joystick? I'm using the SFIV stick and I don't think B is used. I'm going to assume its

_[M][S][C]
[A][_][_]
Just imagine you are playing using an L-shaped Tetris block, thumb on the A, then pointer/ middle/ ring fingers on M/S/C that is the arcade layout. So make sure the A is directly under the M.

After having a long session with a few friends over for local versus, one of them noticed a peculiar issue that you can not move the entire distance of the ring play field anymore. You are tied directly to the distance of your opponent as the camera will not pan out anymore for super distance bullet battles. Its minor, but there were times when moving back further was needed to dodge and technically there was room in the ring to move back, but the game forbid it. In rev.X you didn't have this sort of constraint.

I haven't done much online, but what I have wasn't too bad. I was expecting perfection in that area, with the month delay and all. If its really that bad I hope they patch it soon enough. One good thing about G.rev over some companies is they give patch updates, instead of telling us to deal with it until the next game.

Pretty much set on Shinobu as a main, just need a work around for her M+S being awkwardly strict in range for melee dmg. adversity1, are you still taking requests for the character guide translation? If so, I'd like nominate Shinobu as one :D
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

1. Luca
2. Shinobu

For now, here's the translation for Luca.

Normal Attacks
M Marksman Rifle
S Lock-on Laser
C Hyper Booster
<-->+C Hayate
360+C Tsumuji

BOSS Mode (Masada)
Joystick Move
A Mode change
M Danmaku attack
S Search laser/Ring laser (depending on top screen or bottom screen mode)
C Beam attack
A+M+S Attack Release

"His main shot, the Marksman Rifle, can be charged to make it more powerful and faster. His sub-shot, the Lock-on laser, produces a red laser. When this laser touches enemy bullets, the lock-on cursor appears and releasing the button will shoot a laser aimed at the cursor. The laser explodes at the cursor point. The exploding point has a bullet canceling property, so when you lock-on to enemy bullets you can cancel them. α can lock-on up to 8 times. β can lock-on up to 4 times, but the amount of exploding attacks is increased.

The hyper booster is a danmaku attack which improves the power and speed of the Marksman Rifle for about 10 seconds, and can be "stacked" twice. Note that you can cancel bullets around your ship using this, so it is good for getting out of undodgable situations. <-->C (Hayate) attacks enemies while moving forward and emits a danmaku. If you miss with it you'll be vulnerable, but the front of it cannot be blocked with barrier. While moving, it can cancel bullets, so you can eliminate bullets and attack at the same time. 360+C (Tsumuji) is a danmaku attack that throws out an energy ball. Charging it will give a bigger energy ball, and the danmaku gets thicker.

In BOSS mode, there are two modes: top screen and bottom screen. The modes can be changed with the A button, and their attack patterns are different. Especially, the search laser and ring laser fired with the S button have completely different properties. The former locks on with a red laser and fires a laser which follows the enemy. The latter fires a wide laser forward. At the same time, the beam attack shoots a beam from the rotating shield, firing a search laser (in top screen mode) and firing electricity in random directions (in bottom screen mode).

The final attack "Attack Release" has the BOSS move deep inside and lock onto the entire screen. While moving you are invincible, so you can avoid enemy bombs."
Last edited by adversity1 on Mon May 24, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Here's Shinobu.

Normal Attacks
M Majestic (charge up for Wave attack)
S Trace Mine
C Formation Attack
<-->+C Sagittarius 2
360+C Outburst

BOSS Mode (Masada)
Joystick Move
A Central cannon attack
M Belt laser
S Beam attack
C Transform attack
A+M+S O/D

"Create opportunities with your Trace Mines!

Her main weapon, Majestic will change attacks depending on her state. Normal attacks in a slim forward range while during barrier the attack becomes a spread. When dashing or charged, Majestic becomes a wave attack. The former can shoot up to 3 shots, the latter 1, however both have high attack power. Her subweapon, Trace Mine, traps the opponent when it hits and renders the opponent defenseless for awhile. Since this also has a bullet canceling effect, it can be used from a defensive perspective. Be aware that the Trace Mine places differently for α and β types.

Her Formation Attack sets 3 options; in α, 1 shot from each option, β fires 3 missiles in a row. These options can cancel opponent bullets but will disappear if they receive a certain amount of damage. The normal formation attack will set the options in front, but in barrier the options appear on her left, right and back. When dashing, the options circle the opponent's area and attack. Sagittarius 2 is a danmaku attack that shoots 3 missiles outside the screen, drops them on areas that have been locked onto and spreads a danmaku afterward. Opponent will be auto-searched or the targeting can be manually controlled. Outburst shoots bullets from options that have been placed in front of Shinobu as they rotate around. β version bullets are set further from her than α and are maintained for longer.

During BOSS mode, bullets are constantly fired from her ship. Arm control allows you change the angles of the BOSS' arms on left and right: up on the joystick spreads the arms, down narrows their range. The Central Cannon Attack repeats a 3way barrage which searches out the opponent's location. The Belt Laser shoots in 3 direction from the arms, and the Beam attack shoots from both arms; both can be changed with the angle of the arms. The Transformation Attack triggers a charge attack and at the same time shoots a danmaku on the left and right of the screen. After charging, the BOSS's position (formation) changes, and if you started from the top you wind up on the bottom.

Be aware that after using her final attack "O/D" which is an all-out attack, the BOSS' arms will disappear."
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

Oh thanks a lot adversity. This will help a lot.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

adversity keep em comin!!

I'm actually enjoying Shinobu now. Soo newbish at this game I only have like 1 win and 17 loss

Thanks for the write up
kusanagi888

Post by kusanagi888 »

So based on those of you who played it, do you like it enough to pick it up over Deathsmiles II? I can only get one atm, unfortunately. For the record, I love the first Deathsmiles and Senko.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

kusanagi888 wrote:So based on those of you who played it, do you like it enough to pick it up over Deathsmiles II? I can only get one atm, unfortunately. For the record, I love the first Deathsmiles and Senko.
Get DSIIX.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

kusanagi888 wrote:So based on those of you who played it, do you like it enough to pick it up over Deathsmiles II? I can only get one atm, unfortunately. For the record, I love the first Deathsmiles and Senko.
Depends.....

You like Single player Shmups get DSII

You like games multiplayer games like VOOT get DUO
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

Can someone translate what this mission is asking me to do? Ive tried just about everything.

adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

You have to take the enemy down to Vanish! status and then time out.

Sorry, should've let people know about those. There's a few of em in Story mode.

Btw, you can change the stars if you find the battles too difficult. Some of them are crazy hard.
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

wow i didnt know you can change the stars... lol That would of made some battles much easier.

Though you said time out when they reach vanish... ive done this on this battle. Guess I'll try again.

edit: I noticed on gamefaqs theres achievement for commander style? Why would anyways play that? Does anyone play that mode online?