Rob's 91-95 arcade countdown: hidden gem search.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Your taste is awetrocious.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Rob

Post by Rob »

D wrote: It would be so nice if we could get a list of this era.
For me, it might just be Gunbird 1994 that takes the no 1 spot.
Major credit to oxtsu's chronology of arcade shooting list that I used.

But please save the list posting until after I hit #1 or so. To jaws' list I will just say :wink:.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#51 Aero Fighters 2 (Video System Co., 1994)
Like a lost early Psikyo game I never wanted to play. Has ALL of the problems plaguing early Psikyo games (pitiful scoring, automatic power downs, overly simplistic patterns, poor ship selection, etc.) + horizontal layout! It is like an Original 2 mode for Sengoku Ace without the semi-appealing style and set to monkey.

ImageImageImage

#50 Aero Fighters 3 (Video System Co., 1995)
VSC continue their tradition of stages consisting entirely of collecting power up items. All of the primary flaws remain, which leaves this at sub-Strikers 1945 I. They don't even have charge shots. As poor and useless as they were in early Psikyo games, the AF series wasn't even there yet. What this game does have over Aero Fighters 2 is some challenge. Challenge I don't want, but still... technically.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Yeah, the decision to make these vertizontal or whatever is puzzling. These seem a step backward for a promising series. Was the point just to get these into Neo Geo cabs? I really don't understand.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

You forgot the best part!

Dolphins.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Neo cabs are more widespread, I guess? Obviously didn't do them much good.

#49 Pollox (Dooyong, 1991)
ImageImageImageImage
The action is smooth (rare compliment for this portion of the list) and a bonus point for the strange bullet-sucking vortexes that appear every now and then. Kind of reminds me of some other game. That is an interesting idea, but it is lost in a generic space shooter with a difficulty level at PC Engine. Sound effects: emulation problem, I hope.
Rob

Post by Rob »

yojo!'s next favorite:

#48 Thunder Blaster (Irem, 1991)
ImageImageImageImage
Carpal tunnel challenge or a game broken by autofire technology. Firepower varies by six levels. Watch the level increase from one to six in a few seconds and stay there for the entire level. You'll be blazing lasers to an easy finish and a huge score (oh yeah, it has a scoring system which gives you extra points for using autofire).
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

undamned wrote:
Macaw wrote:Thats 4 NMK games.

I bet all you people think Jaleco actually developed Desert War, pfft!!
Do you know at what point Jaleco was fully detached from NMK (or is Jaleco ex NMK employees?).
-ud
NMK was a seperate development company founded in mid 80's. They often had their games published/manufactured by Jaleco but also worked with several other companies. Their final games released in 1995 both had Jaleco's name on them.

My theory is that eventually NMK got bought out by Jaleco or something and got absorbed into the company. If this is true then the 1996 Jaleco shooter Gratia: Second Earth is likely the work of ex-NMK employees.
Rob

Post by Rob »

NMK blows my mind. Lots of variety, at least.

p.s. PC Engine Fan X please post! :D
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Yep, Thunder Blaster is great; one of the easiest IREM game (even of thardest setting w/o autofire). I can't believe you haven't gotten down to Fighter & attacker; It's far worse than nebula ray in Namco's typically unbalanced game play.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Best part of NMK: Manabu Namiki.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Rob

Post by Rob »

#47 Eight Forces (Tecmo, 1994)
ImageImageImageImage
Not as bad as this topic would have me believe. It is like a less polished early Psikyo or... just an Aero Fighters game with some Raizing medal drops. Playable, but not for that long.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Eye bosses = very popular.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#46 Daioh (Athena, 1993)
ImageImageImageImage
I think this is the game that came before Shienryu. It plays a lot like it (:?) and some of the scenes are reused like the giant red robot smashing through walls in the background of stage two. The same sub-Raiden/Toaplan style of everything - fast aimed shots and simple patterns. Die and get sent back to the beginning of the stage or a section that isn't interesting to replay (all of them). One thing it has over Raiden is being able to switch between weapons by switching buttons.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Daioh next to Eight Forces? Come on.

Daioh is at least two places higher.
unban shw
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

If that list is really the opposite of mine , then I predict that turbo force is going to be in your top #10.
BTW these games were not designed wiith autofire mod in mind, so why do you consistenly use it as an argument for your complains of the games?.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Because I think good game design should come from things other than tapping a button rapidly.
Twiddle wrote:Daioh next to Eight Forces? Come on.

Daioh is at least two places higher.
Checkpoints are about an automatic 5 place drop.
BBH

Post by BBH »

Rob wrote:VSC continue their tradition of stages consisting entirely of collecting power up items. All of the primary flaws remain, which leaves this at sub-Strikers 1945 I. They don't even have charge shots. As poor and useless as they were in early Psikyo games, the AF series wasn't even there yet.
Not true, some ships in Aero Fighters 3 definitely do have special charge shots. I know Spanky does at least. They're limited in usefulness and not every ship has one, but... they're there, sort of.
What this game does have over Aero Fighters 2 is some challenge. Challenge I don't want, but still... technically.
Er... what? It's much, much easier to complete the first loop of Aero Fighters 3. Besides, Aero Fighters 3 only has 8 stages, Aero Fighters 2 has 10. 3 has branching level paths, although it's not immediately obvious (the path you take depends on which half of that ship you destroy that shows up after certain bosses)

Even if the Aero Fighters games are a poor man's Psikyo, I've always found them to be an amusing diversion. Grab a friend and play through in two-player mode to enjoy all the ridiculous dialogue that shows up between levels (yeah I know, who the fuck plays shmups at the same time with another person, right?!). There's just this goofy sort of charm to them that makes it fun. I'd never rank any Dooyong game above them.

Rob

Post by Rob »

BBH:

Charge shots- I didn't know that. I blame the 3-4 ship sampling. Would usually try out most or all ships but Aero Fighters simply have the worst ship selections around. The "how to play" (A4 SHOT B FOR BOMB) made no mention of any charge shot. Obviously it is all Video Systems' fault. And by the sound of it it doesn't seem like they are any good (no surprise).

Difficulty- What can I say, I made more progress in AF2. AF3 seemed to have more, faster bullets. More levels: less to the point, less difficulty (at least in the initial stages). Would anyone say Strikers 1945 I is the hardest Psikyo game? It isn't the easiest, but...

There is something very very hollow about AF games where I would rather play something by Dooyong.

#45 UN Defense Force: Earth Joker (Visco, 1993)
ImageImageImageImage
I can't believe I almost made 30 games without invoking whack a mole. See defenseless missiles in screen two. The bullet eliminating charge shot makes most of the game Mazinger Z boring and there probably isn't even a scoring system I wouldn't even consider wasting my time on. Some bosses have really easy routines to abuse with the charge shot. The final stage is nice since finally there is enough action to where you can't be charging half of the time. The final boss is a nasty mess of slowdown like the boss explosions are the worst explosions in all of shooting games.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BOMBER REDY
BBH

Post by BBH »

Rob wrote:Difficulty- What can I say, I made more progress in AF2. AF3 seemed to have more, faster bullets. More levels: less to the point, less difficulty (at least in the initial stages). Would anyone say Strikers 1945 I is the hardest Psikyo game? It isn't the easiest, but...
Oh, I just realized something. Since you're playing these on MAME, if you're using the default bios then the Aero Fighters games are defaulting to the European bios. For some reason, the first couple stages of Aero Fighters 3 (Sonic Wings 3) are way more difficult on a European bios compared to US or Japan. I'm not sure why this is so, but... it just is. Play the first couple stages on the default bios, then play them again on either US or Japan, there's a very noticeable difference. This would explain why you found part 3 to be harder. I still say part 2 is harder, just on the grounds that I've never cleared the first loop of that on one credit, but have done so many times on part 3 (which I've probably spent more time playing, but still).
There is something very very hollow about AF games where I would rather play something by Dooyong.
You're weird. :)
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

WOW A GAME THATS EASIER THAN DARIUS GAIDEN
Rob

Post by Rob »

#44 R-Shark (Dooyong, 1995)
ImageImageImageImage
Look at a Dooyong shooter and you'll typically see some abhorrent graphics. By 1995 they have nearly caught up to what Toaplan was doing 2-3 years prior. Right off the graphics seem really nice, but level after level is practically all the same. Meanwhile they are falling way behind in gameplay - bullet patterns, scoring system, etc. The game offers little more than adequate generic 16-bit console style shooting. There is also bullet wobbling and sketchy ship hit detection for non-bullet obstacles like lasers.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

That guy in the first pic sounds like a pedophile.

I'M MEAN, COME GET ME YOUNG MAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

#43 Strike Gunner STG (Athena/Tecmo, 1991)
ImageImageImage
Much better than the SNES port in that it doesn't take 5 to 10 minutes to change scenery or enemy attack routines. The problem of selecting one of 8 or 10 potentially useless weapons remains. If you pick a crappy sub weapon it is going to be a boring stage and you will have to pick those to save the good stuff for later. A major annoyance are the fluctuating speeds of the boss patterns. Video System Co./Psikyo producer Shin Nakamura is listed here and I guess I could see a little of Aero Fighters, but I could say the same for many games in this time period.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#42 Super Spacefortress Macross (Banpresto, 1992)
ImageImageImage
I thought I took more screens of instant-kill lasers.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Rob wrote: Image
Brilliant... I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Rob

Post by Rob »

It is a fish head on a platter. Which makes perfect sense before a stage of generic space shooting. Duh.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH DARIUS
Rob

Post by Rob »

Definitely.