gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote:You don't sell thousands cuz you don't make thousands.

You sold 32 of them "a month ago", and they sold out in exactly 1 minute.

When's the last time you could actually preorder them? 6-8 months ago?

Sorry for the attitude but at this point I'm just sick of wasting my time on it. If one were on ebay for 300$+ i'd prob just buy it consider the hours I've spent just trying to procure one.
I have so many things to say but I won't. This has been explained numerous times here in this topic and on ASG forums, I doubt you've read it. Just move along.
mrrobboto wrote: If his preorders were before the mylifeingaming episode - which has 56K views now - the demand may not have been high. After the video I am sure everyone who owns a PVM, framemeister or OSSC wants one now. OSSC has been selling like crazy so I imagine he could at least match that demand because naturally anyone who buys one of those will want the best switcher to go with it. I do think he is underestimating the demand for these switchers now.
Exactly this, there are a lot of new people to all this retrogaming thing and mylifeingaming switch episode increased the interest.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

While it would be nice to have more made you need to keep in mind superg is one person. What if he makes too many and a error happens or something is discovered that needs to be brought back to the drawing board design wise?

Even with him doing small batches the people making these are having setbacks that need to be fixed by them or superg himself. It is hard to gauge demand imo.

We should be thankful we even have a device such as this as our options are pretty limited for a quality SCART switch.
TerakRall

Post by TerakRall »

Superg - would something like an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card from a PC to an ArcadeForge UMSA at 15 kHz RGBs be safe to use with the gscartsw_lite? Or is that really different than what it should be handling? I can use my Extron 203 Rxi to output RGBs and bypass SCART entirely if that's a better move.

Thanks for all your work, looking forward to trying to get a preorder in when they're available.
superg

Post by superg »

TerakRall wrote:Superg - would something like an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card from a PC to an ArcadeForge UMSA at 15 kHz RGBs be safe to use with the gscartsw_lite? Or is that really different than what it should be handling? I can use my Extron 203 Rxi to output RGBs and bypass SCART entirely if that's a better move.

Thanks for all your work, looking forward to trying to get a preorder in when they're available.
I own ArcadeForge UMSA and it works well, I'm using it for Dreamcast VGA mode (with Hanzo).
schnuth

gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

Post by schnuth »

I have a HAS v2 Supergun that I've been using with my gscart lite without issue. The SCART cable I've been using is the same one for use with the NESRGB board, and was purchased directly from Tim. Mine was preassembled but he also sells it as a kit:

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=21 ... how_detail

I'll refrain using it with my switch until this is all sorted out though.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I got into retrogaming because of the MLiG rgb master class. The length of preorder time for a gscartlite was absolutely refreshing compared to half a dozen other products I've tried to acquire. 2 weeks is an eternity in internet years.

While there may be "long" wait times between batches (by the same "weeks are an eternity on the internet" metric). At least SuperG is completely up-front about the whole process and I really feel there's no artificial scarcity at all here.

There are products where I've literally checked their web site 2+ times a day, every day of the week, for months on end. And subscribed to twitter feeds full of completely irrelevant content for months just trying to acquire a thing in the 30 minute window it's available. I fully expect to be woken by my phone at 3am any day now to try to buy a thing in a frenzy before it closes an hour later.

The availability of SuperG products is really good.
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I got into retrogaming because of the MLiG rgb master class. The length of preorder time for a gscartlite was absolutely refreshing compared to half a dozen other products I've tried to acquire. 2 weeks is an eternity in internet years.

While there may be "long" wait times between batches (by the same "weeks are an eternity on the internet" metric). At least SuperG is completely up-front about the whole process and I really feel there's no artificial scarcity at all here.

There are products where I've literally checked their web site 2+ times a day, every day of the week, for months on end. And subscribed to twitter feeds full of completely irrelevant content for months just trying to acquire a thing in the 30 minute window it's available. I fully expect to be woken by my phone at 3am any day now to try to buy a thing in a frenzy before it closes an hour later.

The availability of SuperG products is really good.
This.

If there's one product people should NOT be bitching about being able to get is this. Every time a new batch is on sale the pre-orders are up for WEEKS. They are always announced here far in advance.

Contrast that to some products where they sell out in *minutes*.
FBX

Post by FBX »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
There are products where I've literally checked their web site 2+ times a day, every day of the week, for months on end.
I'm getting that way over the PSIO. I paid for mine back at the end of June, and now the shipment date has been pushed to December. On the plus side, it's getting done right with full molded casings and interface sockets, and a lot of progress has been made in the interim on compatibility and stability of the firmware. I figure by the time I actually get the device in hand, it will be a very polished product.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

FBX wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
There are products where I've literally checked their web site 2+ times a day, every day of the week, for months on end.
I'm getting that way over the PSIO. I paid for mine back at the end of June, and now the shipment date has been pushed to December. On the plus side, it's getting done right with full molded casings and interface sockets, and a lot of progress has been made in the interim on compatibility and stability of the firmware. I figure by the time I actually get the device in hand, it will be a very polished product.
They're one of the sites that fit my description. But I'm still waiting for my chance to throw money at the screen.
superg

Post by superg »

FBX wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
I'd love to get PSIO eventually, but I'll wait another year to have a final product.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Waiting for someone else to make PS1 and Saturn solutions personally. PSIO can't hold more than 32 gb and has bad compatibility I don't really see the point. Same with the rhea.

When's the last time gscartsw lite was available for preorder?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

tusecsy wrote:Waiting for someone else to make PS1 and Saturn solutions personally.
Same here; I'm hoping someone will come along with a drop-in drive replacement, not unlike the GDEMU, that would work with pretty much any PS1.

tusecsy wrote:When's the last time gscartsw lite was available for preorder?
You should check the first post of this thread:
superg wrote:Current status (10/15/2017):
gcompsw - Sold out, a new batch will be ordered after gscartsw_lite batch
gscartsw_lite - The new batch should be here next week
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

...not what I asked.
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

superg wrote:The lite pre-orders are opened, http://gretrostuff.com, as usual please read all the terms before placing an order.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851&start=600

This was the first batch of the gscartsw_lite switches if I recall correctly. I believe superg has been alternating between manufacturing/selling the gscartsw and gcompsw, roughly every 6 months he seems to have a preorder for the gscartsw, likewise for the gcompsw. Yes, that is a long time to wait if you decide you need a switch right after pre-orders close or if you miss the pre-orders, but compared to many other small-batch/bespoke products in this genre this is one of the few items that are relatively easy to obtain. From what it sounds like superg is now going to be funding future batches on his own and selling them without preorders, so that might streamline the process a bit more so people don't have to wait as long after purchasing to receive their switches.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

clintkolodziej wrote:
superg wrote:The lite pre-orders are opened, http://gretrostuff.com, as usual please read all the terms before placing an order.

This was the first batch of the gscartsw_lite switches if I recall correctly. I believe superg has been alternating between manufacturing/selling the gscartsw and gcompsw, roughly every 6 months he seems to have a preorder for the gscartsw, likewise for the gcompsw. Yes, that is a long time to wait if you decide you need a switch right after pre-orders close or if you miss the pre-orders, but compared to many other small-batch/bespoke products in this genre this is one of the few items that are relatively easy to obtain. From what it sounds like superg is now going to be funding future batches on his own and selling them without preorders, so that might streamline the process a bit more so people don't have to wait as long after purchasing to receive their switches.
So it's been almost 6 months since anyone could actually pay for one. That is a long time no matter how you slice it. Definitely not "easy to get".

The new batch is just gonna sell out immediately and we're back to square one. Shoulda went with the preorder route again.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

tusecsy wrote:
clintkolodziej wrote:

So it's been almost 6 months since anyone could actually pay for one. That is a long time no matter how you slice it. Definitely not "easy to get".

The new batch is just gonna sell out immediately and we're back to square one. Shoulda went with the preorder route again.
I'm not sure how that would solve anything. Either the in stock units sell out quickly or the pre-orders sell out quickly. Either way, it's still a fixed quantity. I agree that the switchers are not "easy to get," but it hasn't been 6 months since anyone could pay for one. He sold some just about 2 months ago. Is it a somewhat long time to wait? Yes. But it's not like you can't play your consoles without one. It's a niche "want" product, not something anyone actually needs for anything.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

tusecsy wrote:...not what I asked.
Sorry; I assumed you wanted to order one and that that's where you were going with your question.

I believe the last round of orders was this June[ish], with a small batch of 30-something leftover units going up for sale in late August/early September.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

thebigcheese wrote:
tusecsy wrote:The new batch is just gonna sell out immediately and we're back to square one. Shoulda went with the preorder route again.
I'm not sure how that would solve anything. Either the in stock units sell out quickly or the pre-orders sell out quickly. Either way, it's still a fixed quantity.
Both systems have their pros and cons. Preorder was done as a fixed window of time. Creating a consistent wait time of "you will definitely get one next batch". Fixed units drops the upper and lower bounds of wait time. Sure, the upper bound could go up if it's handled poorly. But also, the lower bound could shrink to zero if handled intelligently.

I have much more faith that SuperG is making smart decisions than some other retro device manufacturers.
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

tusecsy wrote: So it's been almost 6 months since anyone could actually pay for one. That is a long time no matter how you slice it. Definitely not "easy to get".

True, that is a long time. However:
  • 1. superg has a full-time job (I presume), this isn't a full-time gig. He even has mentioned he asks his family to help assemble the switches in their free time on weekends.
    2. This isn't a corporation that has a ton of resources/employees they can throw at making switches (like Bandridge, etc). It's one person and manufacturing and designing is a time consuming process.
    3. These switches are absolute top of the line, and really a boutique item, so it isn't going to be something you see on Amazon.com or a major retailer at scale. Many folks have done reviews of those types of devices and they aren't made with the love and care that superg spends to make these. The care with design really shows and these things rock.
    4. No comparable device like this has delivery times any faster, or is any more available. The OSSC is probably the most comparible, I ordered mine in July and still haven't received it. I know it will be worth the wait.
Anyway, this is just how it is with any device like this, unless all of the retro gamers somehow unite and form a company everyone is simply doing their best. I personally really appreciate all the work superg has been putting in for the community and I look forward to the next batch to pick up a _lite to go with my v3.4.
m.Balmed

Post by m.Balmed »

tusecsy wrote: So it's been almost 6 months since anyone could actually pay for one. That is a long time no matter how you slice it. Definitely not "easy to get".

Pre-orders are a deal with the devil. Sometimes folks are lucky enough to build enough capital to maintain their own stock after a few of them, but in general they are a mess few people want to tolerate. When you take money from people for something you can't deliver immediately, it becomes a full time job making sure people don't feel like they are ripped off. This can be manageable for someone who does this for a living, but for a home gamer who does this stuff in their spare time it can easily become a living hell.

Maintaining a stock is the best deal all around, for buyers and sellers. We give him the cash, he gives us the goods... easy exchange. Don't take my word for it, ask around.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

We'll see how it goes. But I seriously doubt the order is big enough to satisfy demand. Probably at least 500 people waiting to get these things globally now, at a minimum. You don't sell 32 in 45 seconds if this wasn't the case.

I understand this is a boutique product. Just frustrated and also frustrated for the seller, who could be making some serious bank here.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:You don't sell 32 in 45 seconds if this wasn't the case.
Sure you do, you get the exact same result if there are ~32 buyers all believing there are 500+ buyers. Supply and demand are tricky.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

So just to be clear. TTL level sync is too strong for the switch?
superg

Post by superg »

LDigital wrote:So just to be clear. TTL level sync is too strong for the switch?
Yes, TTL should have a proper resistance.
setsunabr

Post by setsunabr »

clintkolodziej wrote:

True, that is a long time. However:
  • 1. superg has a full-time job (I presume), this isn't a full-time gig. He even has mentioned he asks his family to help assemble the switches in their free time on weekends.
    2. This isn't a corporation that has a ton of resources/employees they can throw at making switches (like Bandridge, etc). It's one person and manufacturing and designing is a time consuming process.
    3. These switches are absolute top of the line, and really a boutique item, so it isn't going to be something you see on Amazon.com or a major retailer at scale. Many folks have done reviews of those types of devices and they aren't made with the love and care that superg spends to make these. The care with design really shows and these things rock.
    4. No comparable device like this has delivery times any faster, or is any more available. The OSSC is probably the most comparible, I ordered mine in July and still haven't received it. I know it will be worth the wait.
Anyway, this is just how it is with any device like this, unless all of the retro gamers somehow unite and form a company everyone is simply doing their best. I personally really appreciate all the work superg has been putting in for the community and I look forward to the next batch to pick up a _lite to go with my v3.4.
Well said man, well said :D
kmjsuperfly

Post by kmjsuperfly »

Alas I have run out of ports in my GCOMPSW and need to get a second one. Can these be daisy-chained and still autoswitch?
superg

Post by superg »

Regarding Windy City situation, I've sent couple of mails last week and still no response.
superg

Post by superg »

kmjsuperfly wrote:Alas I have run out of ports in my GCOMPSW and need to get a second one. Can these be daisy-chained and still autoswitch?
Yes.
chromium

Post by chromium »

kmjsuperfly wrote:Alas I have run out of ports in my GCOMPSW and need to get a second one. Can these be daisy-chained and still autoswitch?
I'm still anxiously waiting for availability so I can get my first.

Is there a better way of being notified rather than checking this thread every day?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

SuperG. Do you happen to have a link handy where I could buy a replacement sync stripper switch from the gscartsw 3.4?

I accidentally got a tiny amount of very strong epoxy in it when mounting my low pass filter switch. If you don't have a part number or link handy then I'll try to figure it out on my own. Was just hoping that you could cut and paste some text really fast.