The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

Re: The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

Post by Shelcoof »

Bitter Almonds wrote:We need to bring this useful information forward:

- How to hack the PSTV.
- Which controllers work.
- Tips and tricks for PS Vitas.
I can tell you the Hori PS3 sticks will not work
I've tried all my Hori sticks Fighint Edge and V3

Xbox 360 MadCatz Standard Edition Sticks work

I think my Hori PS2 Fight Stick works as well but I'm unsure
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Finally done with Zero Time Dilemma. It was good, but also disappointing in a lot of ways. Probably the weakest entry in the trilogy. Still recommended, but you know... Could have been so much better.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

- How to hack the PSTV.
Definitely.

I haven't gotten to hack the PSTV yet, but I want to. I've seen tutorials on other forums on how to transfer PSP iso on there and I really wanna try that. With the nice upscaling the machine has, I can't wait to play Ys 7 full screen.

Gonna start by ripping my UMDs, wich seem like a less daunting task
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

You're all speaking Chinese to me, but I need to learn these hax 8)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

FinalBaton wrote:With the nice upscaling the machine has.
The PSTV's upscaling isn't nice, quite the opposite since it adds a unnecessary scaling step.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Really? I thought it looked nice.

you can also probably get a vertical integer scaling since you can ajust the screen by "steps" of 1 pixel line, bigger or smaller
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I believe there isn't a PSP thread, so i'll ask here, which Star Ocean has the better story and dungeons (since battle mechanics are the same, from what i see), First Departure or Second Evolution? Thanks.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

FinalBaton wrote:Really? I thought it looked nice.

you can also probably get a vertical integer scaling since you can ajust the screen by "steps" of 1 pixel line, bigger or smaller
I haven't tested that, but I really really doubt you can get integer scaling, and even if you do it will probably be bilinearly filtered anyway. So regardless some damage would be done to the image quality before it's handed over to the TV's scaler.

I'll test some day just to be sure, but it sounds really really unlikely.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Shelcoof wrote:

- How to hack the PSTV.

It'd be this particular Mayflash adapter that allow you to use a Hori RAP3 (Real Arcade Pro) arcade stick on a Vita TV or a PSTV micro console setup with ease: https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Univers ... ox+360+PS3

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

- How to hack the PSTV.

It'd be this particular Mayflash adapter that allow you to use a Hori RAP3 (Real Arcade Pro) arcade stick on a Vita TV or a PSTV micro console setup with ease: https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Univers ... ox+360+PS3

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
That's the Converter I have and my Hori Real Arcade V3-SA does not work on it.

I'm not sure if the V3 is the same as the V3-SA though.

The Fighting Edge also does not work on it as well
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Surprised to find that my Vita is dominating my gaming time this summer, even over the 3DS. Should finish Disgaea 4 in the next few days and then I'm thinking I'll go back to LoH: TiTS SC, which I was really enjoying before.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I bought DariusBurst again at the latest flash sale. Been playing that and Sine Mora today. Funnily enough, it's the Money Exchanger game that I've played the most on the PS Vita 8)
boagman

Post by boagman »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I bought DariusBurst again at the latest flash sale.
Why "again"?
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I already have the Japanese disk/cart release 8)
cfx

Post by cfx »

Shelcoof wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Shelcoof wrote: I can tell you the Hori PS3 sticks will not work

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
That's the Converter I have and my Hori Real Arcade V3-SA does not work on it.

I'm not sure if the V3 is the same as the V3-SA though.

The Fighting Edge also does not work on it as well
PCEFX is referring to a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3, which is an older stick that has the same housing as a PS2 RAP and the Astro City(?) button layout. There is an SA version of this one too, and those presumably have the same PCB in them.

You have a Real Arcade Pro V3, which is in a different case and has a Vewlix button layout, and more than likely a different PCB. If there is also a V3-SA, it is probably exactly like yours except for the parts.

Anyway, useful information from you two definitely:
RAP3 (and probably RAP3-SA and RAP-SE): works
RAP V3: does not work

I have the PCB from a RAP3 that I have planned forever to make a custom stick with, so I assume it would work.

Question for you two: Is this converter still functioning with the latest PSTV firmware? I know these things get locked out sometimes, and I'm wondering why Mayflash has two pages for the converter on their site, one of which has no mention whatsoever of PSTV support:
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/XBOXXBOX360/MF001.html
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/UNIVERSAL/MF001.html

Converter is hard to find now. Amazon has it via 3rd parties for $45, but maybe a month ago it was ~$200(!) there. Haven't found it for sale anywhere else.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I already have the Japanese disk/cart release 8)
I take it, then, that you bought it for a different platform?
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Same platform, different region. Although I also bought it for the PS4 8)

I wish Journey had been made available for the Vita...
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

cfx wrote:
PCEFX is referring to a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3, which is an older stick that has the same housing as a PS2 RAP and the Astro City(?) button layout. There is an SA version of this one too, and those presumably have the same PCB in them.

You have a Real Arcade Pro V3, which is in a different case and has a Vewlix button layout, and more than likely a different PCB. If there is also a V3-SA, it is probably exactly like yours except for the parts.

I have the PCB from a RAP3 that I have planned forever to make a custom stick with, so I assume it would work.

Question for you two: Is this converter still functioning with the latest PSTV firmware? I know these things get locked out sometimes, and I'm wondering why Mayflash has two pages for the converter on their site, one of which has no mention whatsoever of PSTV support:

Converter is hard to find now. Amazon has it via 3rd parties for $45, but maybe a month ago it was ~$200(!) there. Haven't found it for sale anywhere else.
I totally forgot about the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3... I use to own one lol

I would have answered your questions sooner but for some odd reason Shmups sometimes does not e-mail me notification when there is a new post.

I'll test it out in a bit need to look for wires for the Vita TV and figure things out.. I might even have to update the unit.
I'll update this post with my findings.

Update: Yup still works after the update....
cfx

Post by cfx »

Shelcoof wrote:
cfx wrote:

I totally forgot about the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3... I use to own one lol

I would have answered your questions sooner but for some odd reason Shmups sometimes does not e-mail me notification when there is a new post.

I'll test it out in a bit need to look for wires for the Vita TV and figure things out.. I might even have to update the unit.
I'll update this post with my findings.

Update: Yup still works after the update....
Thanks very much. :D I bought the Dariusburst CS phsyical release stupidly thinking that ps3 joysticks would just work on the PSTV and then reality set in. I also want to get Muramasa and play it with a stick, and since I have the PCB from a RAP3 I should be able to make this work.

Just speculation, but I wonder if the joystick compatibility is related to whether they are defacto xinput devices, since you mentioned an X360 stick working. The RAP3 works on PC without any kind of driver as an xinput device (though not supported by Hori as such) while I believe the V3 and other later PS3 sticks do not.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

cfx wrote:
Thanks very much. :D I bought the Dariusburst CS phsyical release stupidly thinking that ps3 joysticks would just work on the PSTV and then reality set in. I also want to get Muramasa and play it with a stick, and since I have the PCB from a RAP3 I should be able to make this work.

Just speculation, but I wonder if the joystick compatibility is related to whether they are defacto xinput devices, since you mentioned an X360 stick working. The RAP3 works on PC without any kind of driver as an xinput device (though not supported by Hori as such) while I believe the V3 and other later PS3 sticks do not.
I know nothing about defacto xinputs or anything lol luckily for me I have tons of fight sticks laying around.

I was in the same boat. Bought the PSTV thinking the exact same thing... I assumed if I can use PS3 Controller I can use a PS3 Fight Stick... The unit does have a USB input why not right? Then soon realized how much I regretted my purchase of the thing.

Just thinking of all the negatives depresses me..... so I'll just mention one last thing about the converter

Even with the adapter I can't even play 6 button fighters properly either.

Because the Vita only has 6 buttons compared to 8 on consoles you can't map Light Medium and Hard on the same row

Example:
Arcade Laytout:
[LP][MP][HP][3P]
[LK][MP][HK][3K]

Converter for Vita:
[LP][MP][HK][HP]
[LK][MP][HK][HP]

You can't change that unless you physically swap the buttons to get it to line up like the Arcade.
Luckily for me I only spent 20$ for the converter too.

I really hope all that trouble your going through to get your Fight Stick to work on the PS Vita is worth it.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Shelcoof wrote: I know nothing about defacto xinputs or anything lol luckily for me I have tons of fight sticks laying around.

I was in the same boat. Bought the PSTV thinking the exact same thing... I assumed if I can use PS3 Controller I can use a PS3 Fight Stick... The unit does have a USB input why not right? Then soon realized how much I regretted my purchase of the thing.
I also bought Persona 4 Dancing All Night thinking I could play it with the Hori Project Diva controller, and while I'll check that if I get the converter, given your experience as well as what I've read elsewhere, I don't really expect that controller to work either.
Shelcoof wrote: Just thinking of all the negatives depresses me..... so I'll just mention one last thing about the converter

Even with the adapter I can't even play 6 button fighters properly either.

Because the Vita only has 6 buttons compared to 8 on consoles you can't map Light Medium and Hard on the same row

Example:
Arcade Laytout:
[LP][MP][HP][3P]
[LK][MP][HK][3K]

Converter for Vita:
[LP][MP][HK][HP]
[LK][MP][HK][HP]

You can't change that unless you physically swap the buttons to get it to line up like the Arcade.
Luckily for me I only spent 20$ for the converter too.

I really hope all that trouble your going through to get your Fight Stick to work on the PS Vita is worth it.
Yeah I'm wondering that myself, especially at the $45 the converter is now. Oh, just checked Amazon and now it's $16 so that's better.

I'm not trying to play fighters on it so maybe I won't run into that issue at least.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

A bit late but reminder that Solder X-2 will get a physical release via Limited Run Games today:
https://limited-run-games.myshopify.com ... otype-vita
Once sold out, expect to pay more for it on eBay if you want it.

It's not the best shmup, but I thought this still needed a reminder on a shmup forum.

Looking at eBay, those Limited Run games aren't actually going that much up in price after they're sold out. It sounds like a good thing but it really isn't, eBay resellers seems to be a significant part of the market for this and I'd hate to miss out on more physical games because they're gone.

Oh and this is pretty important:
https://henkaku.xyz/
Homebrew loader for Vita. There was one earlier, but it was too inconvenient to use for anyone but developers. This one isn't.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I rarely pay more than retail for any game, so I usually get the digital releases. I don't like limited releases that are then sold by scalpers because that only supports the scalpers.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I really like Limited Run games for supporting physical releases but Soldiner X-2 is just a really boring game.
Looks amazing on the Vita but I think I've already worn out my Digital Purchase.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I bought it digitally, but haven't played it yet. I've been playing Sine Mora recently.
FRO

Post by FRO »

ZellSF wrote:A bit late but reminder that Solder X-2 will get a physical release via Limited Run Games today:

It's not the best shmup, but I thought this still needed a reminder on a shmup forum.

Looking at eBay, those Limited Run games aren't actually going that much up in price after they're sold out. It sounds like a good thing but it really isn't, eBay resellers seems to be a significant part of the market for this and I'd hate to miss out on more physical games because they're gone.

Homebrew loader for Vita. There was one earlier, but it was too inconvenient to use for anyone but developers. This one isn't.
I don't have a Vita yet, but this game looks sweet, and was thinking if I could pick up a PSTV to play stuff like this and Darius Burst on, it might be worth doing. That begs the question: does anyone know if Soldner X-2 uses any of the touch screen or back touchpad functionality that would make it impossible to play on PSTV?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FRO wrote:
ZellSF wrote:A bit late but reminder that Solder X-2 will get a physical release via Limited Run Games today:

I don't have a Vita yet, but this game looks sweet, and was thinking if I could pick up a PSTV to play stuff like this and Darius Burst on, it might be worth doing. That begs the question: does anyone know if Soldner X-2 uses any of the touch screen or back touchpad functionality that would make it impossible to play on PSTV?
Nope none

It was cross buy with the PS3 version.
That said you better check to make sure the game is compatible with the PSTV though.
I have the game but deleted it ages ago
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Shelcoof wrote:That said you better check to make sure the game is compatible with the PSTV though.
I'm almost positive it is.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Well, if you manage to hack the PSTV, you should be able to play almost any game on it... I just wish I knew how :?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Bitter Almonds wrote:Well, if you manage to hack the PSTV, you should be able to play almost any game on it... I just wish I knew how :?
Http://kotaku.com/hack-makes-playstatio ... 1732915012
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die