The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by BrianC »

Alien Soldier is on the US VC (not sure if it's properly optimized. Ufouria on US VC isn't), but wasn't on cart in the US. It was on the Sega channel service in the US.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

BrianC wrote:Alien Soldier is on the US VC (not sure if it's properly optimized. Ufouria on US VC isn't), but wasn't on cart in the US. It was on the Sega channel service in the US.
I see. Well, I suppose with it being a late game, being a Treasure game it could explain the price.

I would never use VC or anything like that myself.
More Bromances = safer people
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm playing through Shadow Blaster on the Genesis. It feels a little rough around the edges, but overall comes across as a competent, though not stellar, action sidescroller. I like how your weapons have charge meters, but the more you build up your power, the shorter the charge meter is (and the stronger your default attack). It is a small touch that brings in a good deal of satisfaction. The levels are short and straightforward, and on the default difficulty I never felt overwhelmed, as it was a breezy and enjoyable ride.

I would have 1CC'd it my first time if I was ready for the final boss fight's lack of invincibility frames, leading to a game over in 2 seconds. My reaction: :evil: My thoughts on that mechanic: :evil:
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What do you think of the Captain America and the Avengers port? Not arcade perfect, but seems to play well and I was surprised that much of the cheesy voices are intact. Nice music too.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bloodreign wrote:Owning the Mega Drive, PS1, and Saturn ports of Puyo Puyo 2 (with a desire for the GB and SFC Remix versions), to me they all seemed to play alike and feel alike. Then someone mentions the MD port is closest to arcade, and now I am curious as to how so
I haven't played the PS1 or Saturn versions, but the SFC remix and GB versions have different score requirements for progressing up the tower compared to the AC/MD version. AC/MD is supposedly more difficult, but I didn't notice too much of a difference other than being able to level up to the upper levels of the tower faster (but I didn't get that far into it either). The Arcade version is basically on Genesis hardware, but with an extra chip for clear voices. The MD version still fares better than Puyo Puyo 1 by having most of the voice intact, though.

As far as menu options go, it seems most of the other versions of Puyo Puyo 2 also have the arcade menu options intact, as well as some new menu options that aren't in the MD or AC versions. I'm still glad I picked it up, though. I like the faster progression of the MD version so far and the music, while still good in other versions, is especially well done for the MD version.

While I still prefer Puyo Puyo over it, I still like MBM quite a bit. Gameplay is intact, the new music is actually very good and some of the old music is still there, but remixed and in different places than the original music. The funny thing about Mean Bean Machine is how the characters are better drawn and animated than the ones in the actual Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon.

edit: After watching a video of the Saturn version, it seems to have gone back to the arcade scores for progressing up the tower. It also looks like it uses the Genesis color palette, even during cutscenes. It seems the PS1 version also uses the arcade/Genesis palette, but ups the score requirements (lower than SNES/GB, but higher than arcade/Genesis/Saturn). Despite having the cart, I mistakenly assumed that the GG version had the same score requirements as the Genesis, when the score requirements are higher (25000 at start like the PS1 version).

I also watched some videos of the PCE CD Puyo Puyo games and was not impressed, especially with the second one. Puyo Puyo Tsuu CD has no backgrounds and terrible music. Port of the first game has backgrounds and somewhat better music, but music isn't CD quality and sound inferior to the AC and MD versions. At least both ports are fully voiced and the first Puyo Puyo CD has alternate cutscenes, though, oddly enough, some voice clips seem to be missing (Arle says Bayoen much earlier than usual during combos). Puyo Puyo 2 CD only voices the intro dialog and has no cutscenes. It also seems to have the exact same modes as the MD and GG versions (only single player vs computer and 2p vs).
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

BrianC wrote:
Bloodreign wrote:Owning the Mega Drive, PS1, and Saturn ports of Puyo Puyo 2 (with a desire for the GB and SFC Remix versions), to me they all seemed to play alike and feel alike. Then someone mentions the MD port is closest to arcade, and now I am curious as to how so
I haven't played the PS1 or Saturn versions, but the SFC remix and GB versions have different score requirements for progressing up the tower compared to the AC/MD version. AC/MD is supposedly more difficult, but I didn't notice too much of a difference other than being able to level up to the upper levels of the tower faster (but I didn't get that far into it either). The Arcade version is basically on Genesis hardware, but with an extra chip for clear voices. The MD version still fares better than Puyo Puyo 1 by having most of the voice intact, though.

As far as menu options go, it seems most of the other versions of Puyo Puyo 2 also have the arcade menu options intact, as well as some new menu options that aren't in the MD or AC versions. I'm still glad I picked it up, though. I like the faster progression of the MD version so far and the music, while still good in other versions, is especially well done for the MD version.

While I still prefer Puyo Puyo over it, I still like MBM quite a bit. Gameplay is intact, the new music is actually very good and some of the old music is still there, but remixed and in different places than the original music. The funny thing about Mean Bean Machine is how the characters are better drawn and animated than the ones in the actual Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon.

edit: After watching a video of the Saturn version, it seems to have gone back to the arcade scores for progressing up the tower. It also looks like it uses the Genesis color palette, even during cutscenes. It seems the PS1 version also uses the arcade/Genesis palette, but ups the score requirements (lower than SNES/GB, but higher than arcade/Genesis/Saturn). Despite having the cart, I mistakenly assumed that the GG version had the same score requirements as the Genesis, when the score requirements are higher (25000 at start like the PS1 version).

I also watched some videos of the PCE CD Puyo Puyo games and was not impressed, especially with the second one. Puyo Puyo Tsuu CD has no backgrounds and terrible music. Port of the first game has backgrounds and somewhat better music, but music isn't CD quality and sound inferior to the AC and MD versions. At least both ports are fully voiced and the first Puyo Puyo CD has alternate cutscenes, though, oddly enough, some voice clips seem to be missing (Arle says Bayoen much earlier than usual during combos). Puyo Puyo 2 CD only voices the intro dialog and has no cutscenes. It also seems to have the exact same modes as the MD and GG versions (only single player vs computer and 2p vs).
Thanks for the breakdown, still pondering getting both SFC versions of Tsuu, and the GB one for completion purposes. The PCE port of Tsuu is crazy expensive now, but I found out something interesting about the voice of Arle. Both the first and second parts on the PCE CD format have her voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi AKA Sailor Moon. She also can't seem to hit the "bayoen" high note very well, poor girl sounds sick. That port indeed suffers from plain black backgrounds, and I swear they only used the CD format for the voiceovers (apparently there's 2 sets of voiceovers, one is a bit more of insults thrown between characters towards one another in the pre-battle cutscenes) and the system for the music, surely the CD could've handled the original arcade tunes in redbook.

Shame the MD and Windows PC version doesn't have the Rally Mode later versions had added to them, where you face all the characters in the game one after another. The option mode for all the ports is rather deep though. The Saturn and PS1 ports also had different VA's for Arle though, the Saturn used the original VA for her, starting with the PS1 version, Compile went with the VA used for Arle all the way up till now.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I also found out that Milestone was the developer behind Puyo Puyo Fever and the PS2 port of Tsuu, telling from Moby Games. The odd thing is that the GBA version lists a company named "Enter Inc.", but mostly lists Milestone staff. A couple of the staff also worked on Puyo Puyo Sun and Puyo Puyo~n.

One interesting thing with the MD version of Tsuu is that the credits theme used for the SNES version is in the sound test, but not the game itself. Definitely worth a listen since it's one of my favorite themes in the game. I have the remix SNES version of Tsuu, but I noticed from videos that the original SNES one has different music. From what I heard, I like the remix versions a lot better, especially for the theme that starts with the second floor of the tower.

edit: that "credits theme" I'm referring to is actually the theme for Masked Satan's ending on SNES. I read that it actually IS used on the Genesis/AC versions, but for an extremely hard to get ending.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Isn't there 2 versions of the masked Satan? Could be the one with the hard to get ending, though I've only ever seen one in any videos.

The SFC Tsuu, both versions, also have a 4 player mode, the original required 4 players, the remixed version allows for 2 players, and 2 CPU opponents. No other port got that either.

I had forgotten about the PS2 port as well, doesn't seem too expensive to buy, the audio from background music and voices also sounds cleaned up from the Sat/PS1 versions, at least it sounds like it's been somewhat cleaned up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bloodreign wrote:Isn't there 2 versions of the masked Satan? Could be the one with the hard to get ending, though I've only ever seen one in any videos.

The SFC Tsuu, both versions, also have a 4 player mode, the original required 4 players, the remixed version allows for 2 players, and 2 CPU opponents. No other port got that either.

I had forgotten about the PS2 port as well, doesn't seem too expensive to buy, the audio from background music and voices also sounds cleaned up from the Sat/PS1 versions, at least it sounds like it's been somewhat cleaned up.
I know there's a version of Masked Satan on the first level of the tower that is very hard to get. I heard the ending occurs when there's not enough score to progress up the tower, even after the extra battle that occurs for not having enough score.

I was surprised to find out the Saturn version came out before both SFC versions.

I remember a post that mentioned that Rainbow Islands Extra MD may not have the three levels for getting the big diamonds. I found out that it does have the extra 3 levels (as in the actual extra levels, not the normal levels with different enemies), but they only seem to be accessible in extra mode. Telling from a video, it seems the classic mode always gives the bad end, but the extra mode has three more levels after the first 7.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

BrianC wrote:
I know there's a version of Masked Satan on the first level of the tower that is very hard to get. I heard the ending occurs when there's not enough score to progress up the tower, even after the extra battle that occurs for not having enough score.

I was surprised to find out the Saturn version came out before both SFC versions.

I remember a post that mentioned that Rainbow Islands Extra MD may not have the three levels for getting the big diamonds. I found out that it does have the extra 3 levels (as in the actual extra levels, not the normal levels with different enemies), but they only seem to be accessible in extra mode. Telling from a video, it seems the classic mode always gives the bad end, but the extra mode has three more levels after the first 7.
Interesting about that Satan battle and ending, I've never had the time or patience to work my way through the game to beat any version of Satan.Usually after a few levels I just give up and call it a day, humbly defeated by the games nutty characters. Still love the game and series though up to Yon, after that, the series lost me.

RI Extra MD indeed doesn't allow access to the 3 islands in original mode for some crazy reason, but does in Extra mode, but unlike the arcade version of Extra, the MD version behaves much like the original RI in that you can't manipulate what secret items are in the silver door bonus rooms that appear in the boss area when you get the diamonds in ROY G BIV order or VIB G YOR order. The arcade version of Extra you could manipulate what permanent bonus items were where when you got them in order, and get one more gem of a certain color, one color for each hidden item (like the perma speed boots, triple rainbows, or Big Book of Continues which is useful for world 8-10 and the games doing away of continues at that point. The book lets you continue infinitely even on those last 3 islands).

Info on RI Extra arcade is here, lines 61-158.

http://tech.quarterarcade.com/tech/MAME ... spx?g=1386
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hmm. Was just looking at my options for gettin' mah Cadash on in NTSCJ console, and came across this bit of info from the very dependable Arcade Gear. Apparently there was an official Asian release. Wonder if any other non-JP titles had similar arrangements... guess you'd usually be better off just getting Genesis copies but when I sleep off this accursed turkey imma look around!

Tangentially, was also skimming over the strange world of the South Korean MD, the officially licensed Samsung Super Gam*Boy (later Super Aladdin Boy). Apparently its Hard Corps is actually the US version with NTSCJ compatibility, haha. That'd be convenient. Dunno if I'd trade my NTSCJ copy for one without looking into build quality though. Also the bordered sleeves are a bit unfortunate.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Apparently its Hard Corps is actually the US version with NTSCJ compatibility, haha.
lol. It might just be the US version unaltered. I have to check to be sure, but if I remember correctly, the US version already plays in JP mode (no alternate version on cart, though).

edit: checked using the US HC cart on my region switched Genesis. Plays in JP mode.
BIL

Post by BIL »

:o Thanks, that's definitely good to know! I might just have my folks mail me my ol' faithful Genesis copy then.

...I've written at length about how the US and JP versions are functionally identical on the no-miss, and how in fact the latter is more useful for co-op play. But edgy runs just ain't the same without the hovering spectre of sudden "BYAAAAAAAA" instadeath. ;-; I mean once you get hit your run's in the trash anyway imo, but still. Bloodstream turkey levels receding to normal!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Just received Puyo Puyo Tsuu and The Hybrid Front yesterday.

I really love Hybrid Front's soundtrack... but it looks like I'll need to customize an old controller just to access it (the code is: B, B, B, C, Left+Right... yeah, you need to press Left and Right simultaneously... obviously not possible on any stock MD/Genesis pad).
zinger

Post by zinger »

What do you think of the actual game, Kiken? I really love the aesthetics too, but could never really get into it. There's so much difficult dialogue during the battles, and I felt my japanese wasn't good enough for it when I had it, so I decided to hold off until I was more confident (so as not to kill the pacing of the game, by having to look up every other word). I've yet to see any form of discussion on the game on Western forums, except for those regarding its music, but with such an impressive presentation, I can only imagine the rest being really good too.

Also, about the special input code: wouldn't it work by simply opening up the control pad, and thus exposing the trigger pads underneath the d-pad?
SOUNDSHOCK
Captain

Post by Captain »

The hybrid front is fucking amazing. From the soundtrack to the gameplay, 9/10.

Too bad I had to learn it by heart by literally trying out what everything does. Hope this thing gets translated soon, the romhacking page had no progress for ages.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

zinger wrote:What do you think of the actual game, Kiken? I really love the aesthetics too, but could never really get into it. There's so much difficult dialogue during the battles, and I felt my japanese wasn't good enough for it when I had it, so I decided to hold off until I was more confident (so as not to kill the pacing of the game, by having to look up every other word). I've yet to see any form of discussion on the game on Western forums, except for those regarding its music, but with such an impressive presentation, I can only imagine the rest being really good too.

Also, about the special input code: wouldn't it work by simply opening up the control pad, and thus exposing the trigger pads underneath the d-pad?
I've yet to actually start playing it. Had other things on my plate but I'll sit down with it tonight. It is rather text heavy and from just watching a couple of battles, I could follow some of the dialogue but certainly not all. I'm more concerned with coming to grips with all of the commands that can be given to your units. My kanji dictionary will be on standby tonight.

And yeah, I'd need to open up a pad but I'm not doing that with either of my 6-button pads... I'll go grab a used 3-button from a local used-game place this weekend that I won't have any qualms about opening up.
Captain

Post by Captain »

iirc there aren't too many commands.

-attack without moving (enables artillery weapons)
-move>attack or end
-end
-use base thingy to recover stuff
-things i never had to use ;)
-(capture base? can't remember. I should replay this!)
Image Image
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Captain wrote:iirc there aren't too many commands.

-attack without moving (enables artillery weapons)
-move>attack or end
-end
-use base thingy to recover stuff
-things i never had to use ;)
-(capture base? can't remember. I should replay this!)
The list of commands when you've selected a unit are:
Move
Attack
Replenish
Bear Arms
Emergency

When you're done performing actions for all of your available units, pressing start gives you the choice of:
Stop
Decide

I tried the initial scenario twice and got hosed both times (first through time out, the second I was actually defeated). It seems like I need to park my Crawler on my base in the middle so I can constantly replenish and "hold down the fort".
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

This is a very late reply, but (just so everyone knows, in case anyone was wondering)
BrianC wrote:Alien Soldier is on the US VC (not sure if it's properly optimized. Ufouria on US VC isn't), but wasn't on cart in the US. It was on the Sega channel service in the US.
It is optimized. VC Alien Soldier is perfectly fine.
BIL

Post by BIL »

PooshhMao wrote:GAIARES MULLET KID
Hey! That's not what my boxart looks like at all! I've been scammed! :shock:
Captain

Post by Captain »

Kiken wrote: Bear Arms
Emergency
...what do these commands actually do?
Spoiler
I assume the first summons armored bear units, and the second changes your game to Alien Soldier.
Image Image
IrishNinja

Post by IrishNinja »

PooshhMao wrote:Image
welp, time to switch out my cover
...go play Mars Matrix
Backloggery
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

I would like to interview the exec at Renovation who decided that ... this cover would help sell the game better than the original Jap artwork would.

Is this image on the game cartridge too?
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

PooshhMao wrote:I would like to interview the exec at Renovation who decided that ... this cover would help sell the game better than the original Jap artwork would.

Nooooo, no no no. That's just an in-joke based on...this. You can see the genuine box art right there.

TW: Mullet
Spoiler
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
Captain

Post by Captain »

Can't have a good game without a side kick probe that terrorizes enemy ships by stealing their fire power >_>
Image Image
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

IrishNinja wrote:
PooshhMao wrote:Image
welp, time to switch out my cover

Still beats the Phalanx cover.

Whatever happened to Jamie Bunker anyway? Is he still a professional gamer? Did he ever exist, or is this just some model with a made-up persona working as a corporate shill?
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

MR_Soren wrote:Whatever happened to Jamie Bunker anyway? Is he still a professional gamer? Did he ever exist, or is this just some model with a made-up persona working as a corporate shill?
http://rareunlimited.com/2011/10/31/whe ... onalities/

You know him as the kid with the mullet from the magazine ads for Renovation’s Genesis game Gaiares, but there’s a real person in front of that hair. Despite the fun times working for a game company (including trips to CES), James Bunker didn’t stay in the game business long — he had to finish high school, after all. But he did stay close to home, and has spent the past decade working at FlyteComm, a maker of high-end flight-tracking software. On a more personal note, Bunker tells us, “My high school sweetheart, who ironically used to work with me at Renovation, is still the love of my life.”
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Heavy Viper wrote:
PooshhMao wrote:I would like to interview the exec at Renovation who decided that ... this cover would help sell the game better than the original Jap artwork would.

Nooooo, no no no. That's just an in-joke based on...this. You can see the genuine box art right there.

TW: Mullet
Spoiler
I have forgotten how the US adverts were in the 80s and early 90s :D We used to get them in the imported magazines and comics in the UK and they always used to make me cringe even then :)

I have Gaiares US and Japanese and the covers are very, very different.
More Bromances = safer people