The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

Post by FinalBaton »

Bitter Almonds wrote:But even if you buy more than one memory card, the dumbasses at sorny didn't include a case with them! PSTV sucks... For 7 bucks, I can hook up my PSP to a TV and play ALL games on it, which the PSTV doesn't do.
But psp won't display full screen though. PS TV upscales to full screen, and very well at that. I don't have a Framemeister nor a DVDO, so that feature pleases me a lot.

But I agree that it's cool that the psp can be hooked up directly to a TV with a cable.

Let's agree to disagree :D
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

We also have to remember that not all PS Vita games work on the PSTV. It sucks to get that nasty surprise, if one is expecting it to work.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes this is annoying for sure

The ting had potential but it was not fulfilled
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

The cheapest I've seen it is 28 bucks. I might byte the bullet and get one 8)

I just got one for 27.50! :P
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Bitter Almonds wrote:We also have to remember that not all PS Vita games work on the PSTV. It sucks to get that nasty surprise, if one is expecting it to work.
And even when the box is marked with "PlayStation TV compatible" then you might have to wait a week or two for Sony to add it to the compatibility list so you can actually play it.

In related news, after finishing Odin Sphere I've finally gotten my copy of Zero Time Dilemma which I've started playing on my Vita (not my PSTV because see above). It seems very promising so far. Definitely shows that it's a overly ambitious budget title when it comes to the graphics though.

I still think it looks good, just you know, don't expect the image quality of Virtue's Last Reward. Can't comment on anything else since I have to charge my Vita (too much Odin Sphere for the poor thing) and I can't play on the PSTV.
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

So in another thread I was moaning about the number of jrpgs I have on the go right now, and swore never to buy one again. But I have a spare 5 gigs on one of my Vita memory cards, and Sony have a big Japan sale on, so....

Any Vita jrpgs worth picking up? I'm after something well-written and unique.

Caution! I already have Persona 4 and Tactics Ogre.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Isn't Trails in the Sky on Vita already? I have not played it yet due to the enormous jRPG backlog, but it seems pretty universally praised.
I see Disgaea 3&4 are on it. Having only played 1&2 on PS2 myself, I can nonetheless believe the series works better on a handheld (hint - explore Item World a lot - way more adventurous kind of level-grinding than replaying the story missions).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Trails in the Sky is available as a PSP classic, yes. There's also a currently unlocalized HD remaster for Vita. I'm sort of doubting that it will be localized.

On the subject of PSP classics, if you have Persona 4 Golden and like it, getting Persona 3 Portable as well makes sense.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also very closely related to Tactics Ogre, but read up on version differences between the PSP and PSX ports on that one. PSP version has slowdown (which can be fixed on modded systems) while the PSX version has a worse translation (but on modded system there's a way to insert the PSP script).

Unrelated, but still playing Zero Time Dilemma and the graphics do grow on you. It looks bad at first sight, but eventually it will look like they made the right choice going with full 3D rather than the more static models of Virtue's Last Reward.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I just got my PSTV! Eeeeee! :P
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Bitter Almonds wrote:The cheapest I've seen it is 28 bucks. I might byte the bullet and get one 8)

Where? I can't find it for that price anywhere.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I just got my PSTV! Eeeeee! :P
Enjoy.
Make sure to update it (press the refresh button on the live area) so that you can have access to the latest compatible games.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

FinalBaton wrote:
Bitter Almonds wrote:I just got my PSTV! Eeeeee! :P
Enjoy.
Make sure to update it (press the refresh button on the live area) so that you can have access to the latest compatible games.
Compatible games :lol:

Zero Time Dilemma is getting a PSTV patch sometime next week. A game with PSTV compatible printed on the box and it needs a patch that's released two weeks after launch.

I'm hoping it also allows more button control on regular Vita systems. The constant reliance on touch screen to deal with fiddly dial controls in this game is nidicolous. One puzzle that had me rotating view to figure out which parts go where just made me look up a solution. Not because the puzzle was difficult, but I wanted to minimize dealing with the aggravating touch controls.

Still really liking Zero Time Dilemma besides that, but god it's annoying, if I wanted to deal with constant touch controls I'd start playing Severed. Severed actually looks very nice, it was released in April (and I still haven't gotten around to playing it) and is some sort of dungeon crawler with touch combat by Drinkbox Studios (Guacamelee!). It seems well received.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ZellSF wrote:Severed actually looks very nice, it was released in April (and I still haven't gotten around to playing it) and is some sort of dungeon crawler with touch combat by Drinkbox Studios (Guacamelee!). It seems well received.
I played through that one after it launched; it's not a very long game, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Apparently it's getting ported to 3DS and smartphone at some point, though off the cuff I'd say that it was obviously made with the Vita's particular combination of touchscreen and buttons in mind, so unless they add more stuff to the other versions the Vita release will probably remain the preferred one.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Skykid wrote:
Bitter Almonds wrote:The cheapest I've seen it is 28 bucks. I might byte the bullet and get one 8)

Where? I can't find it for that price anywhere.
At Amazon US.

I haven't hooked it up yet since I'm not at the apartment, but I will plug in as soon as I get back 8)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

ZellSF wrote: Compatible games :lol:
Hey! I haven't said that all games are compatibles, lol

just that some games that are right now might not work if he doesn't do the update.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

If you don't mind buying it used, you can get it for about 27.40 USD:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... words=PSTV
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Refurbished ones on Newegg.com at $29.99

"Return for refund within: 30 days
Return for replacement within: 60 days"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I haven't hooked it up yet since I'm not at the apartment, but I will plug in as soon as I get back 8)
Before you update it have a look at How to make sure Playstation TV (Vita TV) doesn't update? to determine whether you even want to update it.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

We're getting Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni localized. Oh, and Tokyo Xanadu which is probably the more important of those two games.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I tried hooking up the PSTV at my parents' house just to see how it works. Holy shit, is it a pain in the arse to get it to do anything. We wanted to see if we could download Netflix - and it wouldn't work! How do I get the PSTV to do what it's supposed to do? How do I shot web?! :?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I tried hooking up the PSTV at my parents' house just to see how it works. Holy shit, is it a pain in the arse to get it to do anything. We wanted to see if we could download Netflix - and it wouldn't work! How do I get the PSTV to do what it's supposed to do? How do I shot web?! :?
Netflix is one of the weirdest things that aren't compatible with PSTV. Sony and Netflix probably didn't come to any agreement on that. The Network Media Player, Vita's DLNA client is also entirely absent in the US store.

I feel like Sony could have done simple steps to actually sell a few more PSTV units at a price higher than 25$.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I tried hooking up the PSTV at my parents' house just to see how it works. Holy shit, is it a pain in the arse to get it to do anything. We wanted to see if we could download Netflix - and it wouldn't work! How do I get the PSTV to do what it's supposed to do? How do I shot web?! :?
You can use Netflix and Youtube on Sony's Vita Internet Browser

I know I know its annoying as hell but at least its possible
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Ah, you can access Netflix through the browser?! We fiddled around with it last night and were watching trashy movies on YouTube... although it won't do automatic play with a playlist! It reminded me of the old days when we had to get up to change the channel manually on the old TVs! :shock:

#nostalgia

I have to learn how ta hack it... I also wanna play WipEout 2046! I also have some old PSOne Shoot-'Em-Ups and a few Endless Running and Flying games I'd like to play on the big screen.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

PSTV patch now out for Zero Time Dilemma. Still just touch controls using the touch emulation feature of the PSTV though.

Oddly enough, using a clumsy feature to emulate touch still feels better than actually using touch controls.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I wish there was a way to directly plug in the PS Vita to the PSTV...
cfx

Post by cfx »

I wish joysticks worked with it so I could actually play Darius Burst. :(
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

You can't plug in an adapter for controllers :?:
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Bitter Almonds wrote:I wish there was a way to directly plug in the PS Vita to the PSTV...
You can if you buy a converter and use a Fight Stick
If you back track on the thread you'll find a link for it
cfx

Post by cfx »

Bitter Almonds wrote:You can't plug in an adapter for controllers :?:
Few adapters are verified to work. There's a Mayflash that must be discontinued as it goes for high prices, and reports on it are inconsistent and at best it only works with certain joysticks and controllers. I think the long-discontinued Inpin is said to work as well for using PS2 devices.

You'd think official PS3 joysticks like Hori could be supported directly, but no.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

We need to bring this useful information forward:

- How to hack the PSTV.
- Which controllers work.
- Tips and tricks for PS Vitas.