Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ReiKusanagi

Re: Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galag

Post by ReiKusanagi »

It's a good thing this was noted so it might get fixed in a later version.
Haketh

Post by Haketh »

Hello, new to System for the most part Shumpmame is working great, it's awesome to play some old favorites like Ketsui and Raiden Fighters Jet but I'm having a problem with some CAVE Shumps and Batrider, I seem to missing ROM and CHD Image files, anyone know how I can fix this? Pretty new to emulation.
ThEmperorIsDead

Post by ThEmperorIsDead »

I can't seem to get Dogyuun working, just cycles through blue/green screens...any pointers appreciated.
ReiKusanagi

Post by ReiKusanagi »

ThEmperorIsDead wrote:I can't seem to get Dogyuun working, just cycles through blue/green screens...any pointers appreciated.
sounds like a rom issue as when I tried to play it there was a flash of green/blue then it went as normal.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

As I've said around the place, I'm that pissed off about Raiden Legacy that I'm working on a sample hack to get MAME to run RFA's soundtrack as replacement music for these games, since MAME (and particularly Shmupmame with custom buttons/hiscore.dat support) handles every other aspect of the game so much better. So far I've attempted to hook up one track to JET and testing in rfjets (the new single board version found recently with the sound test) it crashes whenever the sample command is called. I figured out where to find the data values for every music track/sound effect as they play though so I have values to check against for stopping, fading in/out and playing whatever is needed in theory.

I'm probably doing something stupid regarding hooking up the sample system but I've tried everything I know and have to compare with so I've hit a wall with this. Since I'm clearly not the most experienced with MAME, any help on this would be very much appreciated. I can upload what I have for reference if you need, just get a hold of me somehow.
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

Guys, does anyone have a sense of the amount of input lag, if any, HLSL adds if turned on? Shmupmame is awesome but I'd hate to add input lag just for the sake of making the games look (very) pretty.

-Jim
ThEmperorIsDead

Post by ThEmperorIsDead »

I'm not sure in exact milliseconds but I recently went from using Shmupmame with HLSL on a low lag LCD monitor (Benq XL2410T) to running it through a UMSA to a B&O MX4002 tube TV with native scanlines. The difference in feel was not that noticeable, and I didn't really need to adjust to it....so I guess Shmupmame is pretty damn good at keeping things at a low enough latency that any differences are negligible.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

I compile my own build, now 0.148. I apply the Cave SH3 patch and the soundsync patch (from CabMAME and GroovyMAME). Do you know in what order do I have to apply the patches, including your modified source files? Thanx.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

I've tried compiling 0.148 overwritten with your files. I get this error:

Building driver list src/mame/mame.lst...
Importing drivers from 'ifndef'
Unable to read source file 'ifndef'
src/mame/mame.lst:41 - Invalid character 'N' in driver "NCP"
make: *** [obj/windows/mame/mame/drivlist.c] Error 1

Any idea?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Sounds like you're using MAME and not MAME Plus.
kathy

Post by kathy »

Elaphe wrote:I compile my own build, now 0.148. I apply the Cave SH3 patch and the soundsync patch (from CabMAME and GroovyMAME). Do you know in what order do I have to apply the patches, including your modified source files? Thanx.
Does anyone know there is any benefit to using this type of build over the older slowpoke version?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Apart from things disappearing on your screen using Slowpoke MAME, there isn't any.
kathy

Post by kathy »

haha i haven't noticed anything like that yet. I have two versions of mame that run sh3 stuff - one of them is a real pig. I only recently got slowpoke and futari at least seems to be pretty close to the pcb
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

It only occurs when the framerate drops below 100%, so if you can already run either at fullspeed you won't really see any of it. The glitches are probably related to whatever hackjob MetalliC came up with - I dont know exactly what though, since he broke MAME terms by keeping it closed-source, and clearly it ain't getting released now.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

So how does Sumupmame actually reduce input lag?.

Also work needs to be done to get Raiden 2 and DX working in mame :D
trap15

Post by trap15 »

For the most part, it reduces input lag with generally terrible hacks. They work, but there's no chance of them ever going in mainline.

Plenty of work has been done trying to get Raiden 2/DX working. Nobody has come out sane, and only a few alive.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

trap15 wrote:For the most part, it reduces input lag with generally terrible hacks. They work, but there's no chance of them ever going in mainline.
Please elaborate.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Removes the sprite buffer (that the original hardware has) in order to reduce the display lag on the sprites by a frame.

Sometimes it bypasses MCUs used to read inputs and directly writes the input values into the main CPUs memory to reduce any possible lag due to improperly emulated MCU communications, or lag from the MCU communications itself (even if present on the board).

With the 'lagless Garegga/Batrider/Bakraid', there was a hack to propagate input values through a 'history' buffer, which led to input lag on the real board as well, but was removed to reduce lag.

All of these efforts are to offset inherent lag in MAME and PC architecture and PC operating systems, but given a 'perfect platform' that only has MAME lag (which is 1 frame for most titles), these could actually reduce lag below PCB levels, giving an advantage.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
robbo43

Post by robbo43 »

Love this build of MAME.

Works really well with an ultimarc360 - every other version of MAME I've used (vanilla MAME, MAMEplus, MAMEFX etc) has a massive lag with the U360.

However, Asteroids and related games (DX, Lunar Lander??) are unplayable due to stuttering. I believe this may be due to the driver/ system emulation used in MAME. This stuttering happens in all normal versions of MAME and the only way to not have a stutter has been by using SmoothMAME (defunct) or MAMEFX. The downside to using these builds is every other game that matters with a non-60hz refresh (Galaxian, R-Type etc.) is unplayable due to the lag.

I use a DELL 4:3 (1600:1200) panel in my MAME cab. I believe that SmoothMAME etc patch the individual drivers to ensure all games run at 60Hz. Due to this, I think this introduces the lag I've mentioned above. However, playing the early ATARI vector games, I do not notice any noticeable lag from the 60Hz patch in SmoothMAME etc. This may be due to me mapping the controls to buttons rather than a joystick.

Anyhoo, any chance the next version of Shmupmame could incorporate an ATARI vector patch to run asteroids smoothly on a 60hz panel?

Another question: am I missing something and there is an easy tweak to shmupmame to eliminate the stutter in asteroids etc?

Cheers

Rob
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Just curious, has anyone else had issues saving inp files with the latest shmupmame? I recorded a couple of Donpachi runs earlier today, and none of them seem to sync up properly when replayed. I've done a few of the recommend things (disable triple buffering, multithreading), but I'm not sure what else to do. I've recorded on two different PCs with the same results.
eNon

Post by eNon »

I've just started using ShmupMame and it's pretty rad. The only problem that I'm having is that when I go into the Global Game Options and do something like uncheck the "Enable Sound Output" check-box to turn off the game sounds or check the "Run in a window" check-box so I can play non-full screened, it doesn't stick and just doesn't work at all. These are options that I like to use on occassion and it would be really nice if I could use them. Am I the only one who has this problem?
eNon

Post by eNon »

Nevermind.

I found that after you change these settings you have to click back on the field you changed again and press enter. I sometimes had to do this multiple times to get the settings to stick.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Does the Jaleco Mega System 32 games work in shmupmame? (Gratia, P-47 Aces etc.)
hat

Post by hat »

Probably, it is a thing of this.
http://15khz.blog41.fc2.com/blog-entry-195.html
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Anyone know why Shmupmame would be desynching replays in Progear, specifically around the final boss's start of his last form in the first loop? It's the only Cave game that's given me trouble with recording, and I can't figure out why - I'm making sure nvram is cleared at the start of each game and when I playback the .INP (I got into the test menu to enable autofire each game), but for whatever reason, it seems like after a number of frames, or at that point in the game, it just desyncs and hasn't recorded my inputs correctly, thus leading to a quick gameover after the desync. Wondering if it's just me or if it's something specific to the game itself that isn't playing nice with how input lag's been reduced?

The reason I ask is because I used to record using MAMEPlus, and I don't remember it happening when I recorded some 1-Alls in Progear.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Why the heck is the rapid fire delay set to such an insanely high number as default? Do someone have it in against those that like to use rapid fire and this is their way to srew them over? Luckily I can right away set to to 99, but then I slowly have to click it button press at a time to get it all the way to single digits for every shooter I decide to use this feature for. What BS! And how the heck does one fix it ASAP?
BobbyNewmarkiii

Post by BobbyNewmarkiii »

Any idea how to get the most accurate emulation speed settings? I find that games I have on retail release (Mars Matrix, Dodonpachi, DDP DOJ) feel like they are running a good lick faster on MAME than I am used to. I have played around with the speed settings and taken this down from 1.00, but is there a way to calculate or more accurately gauge where the speed should be set?

Also, just a question which may have been asked elsewhere, but searches didn't help and I really don't want to go through 54 pages... is slowdown emulated / reproduced in MAME? It doesn't feel like it to me, but could be wrong...
trap15

Post by trap15 »

HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry for being uncivilized but holy shit

this is to the two previous posts, not just the last
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

I wonder the same thing about the autofire setting, tbh.
Eno

Post by Eno »

I find 10Hz to be pretty fast myself.
And the wording is really counter-intuitive, I find talking about delays in seconds more natural.
RS Kusoscores | Avatar taken from xkcd