The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Xyga

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by Xyga »

Blinge wrote:image

... NOPE o_o

Would anyone object to me posting my progress through PSII here periodically? could put it in spoilertext, not sure I'll do it often enough to warrant a separate thread.
:mrgreen: I know how you feel.
Still, consider yourself lucky most of the scans found on the internet have marks and annotations on them.
My own hint book is untainted therefore no spoilers (well I used to know most dungeons by heart so..)

Dunno if you want to post your progress with the spoiler tags it shouldn't get in the way too much... assuming people reply with spoiler tags too lol.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Would anyone object to me posting my progress through PSII here periodically?
Sounds good! DO IT NAO

Recently picked up another totally sweet Sakimoto album that, like he and Iwata's Verytex, comes with a free game to play while you listen!
Spoiler
Naw I actually really like this. Bit unrefined for sure but, like Devil Hunter Yoko, not unpleasantly so. Aggressively using the blue paddle to bulldoze scenery and smash boss faces with rapid ricochet is gratifying, and there's some decently tricky environment/enemy design going on. Cool medieval occult style too, with a palette heavy on earth, stone and metal. I'm not so up on the paddle action games, but it's also very unique in my library so kudos there too.

As with Verytex, certainly good enough overall to support its true merit, DAT MFN BGM Image Image Image
Last edited by BIL on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bad Omen is one of those fun, flawed games like Dahna. The ball physics need to be a little less quirky to be an actual good game.

Old video pinball and pinball-alikes are harder to enjoy after playing the Farsight games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

So the physics in Bad Omen are Devilish? ;)
zinger

Post by zinger »

Bad Omen, lol. Game is a joke in my opinion. I always thought the controls felt floaty, the physics unpredictable, and the idea of having two paddles not just very interesting. And why did they make a paddle game when they simply could have made a shooting game? I mean, who would rather play as a paddle instead of a cool knight or magician? Warriors and weapons are cool. Paddles are not. Slashing and shooting enemies to death is cool. Paddling them to death is not. Dodging lethal projectiles is cool. Juggling a little ball is not. When Breakout made its appearance the developers didn't have much freedom in what they could create because of the hardware limitations, but in 1991 there's no such excuse. The story presented during the intro made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it, it's just so funny that they even tried to create a meaningful story with a paddle and a ball as protagonists (that intro still gives me goosebumps though, gotta love the soundtrack).
SOUNDSHOCK
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've not encountered the physics much, at least in the first six or so stages, since I just bulldoze the ball around with the blue paddle and park next to targets so it'll ricochet. Which still feels a bit suspect, but...
zinger wrote:The story presented during the intro made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it, it's just so funny that they even tried to create a meaningful story with a paddle and a ball as protagonists (that intro still gives me goosebumps though, gotta love the soundtrack).
Exactly. :lol:

As a middling game with a legendary soundtrack, I think I prefer it to Verytex simply on account of its weirdness. Though as noted, I'm not sure how unique it actually is. I suspect there's some truly special scrolling paddle action game I'm unaware of. Probably won't have such fine music though!

What's with Sakimoto and paddles anyway?
IrishNinja

Post by IrishNinja »

Blinge wrote:Image

... NOPE o_o

Would anyone object to me posting my progress through PSII here periodically? could put it in spoilertext, not sure I'll do it often enough to warrant a separate thread.
...oh, man
do not trust the maps in that guide! they tell LIES sometimes
...go play Mars Matrix
Backloggery
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yes there are a few errors... he will find out eventually. :mrgreen:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

IrishNinja wrote:
Blinge wrote:Image

... NOPE o_o

...oh, man
do not trust the maps in that guide! they tell LIES sometimes
yes, that's the Atari 2600 version of the island! ;)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

UZO as in "UZO EZ to fool" :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beware especially final dungeon "DEEZ" ^_~
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

The main thing getting me about the "UZO ISLAND" map is that uso means lie in Japanese.
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Can any Splatterhouse Pt 3 players help me with the time requirements for the Stage X levels in the Japanese version? I'm pretty sure Stage 1 is 3 minutes, but not sure about the others. I've only triggered the first two playing on Difficult. Apparently the requirements are relaxed for the US version.

I read on Third Moon that if you get an even better time on Stage 1 or 2 you get a better version of Stage X with multiple rooms and stronger enemies. My optimised route through Stage 1 ends with about 3:15 on the clock IIRC, so trying to trigger this is going to be tough.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

That's something I've never been sure of myself - I've also wondered if, on Game Master, the best Stage X time requirements are even meetable (they might well be, it just seems a bit crazy given how much more HP monsters have).
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Not to mention the extra enemies on the higher difficulties. So you've triggered the better Stage X before BIL? Is there more 1UPs than the regular Stage X?

Almost ready to move up to Gamemaster, I came pretty close to the Difficult 1CC last night but suffered a couple of stupid deaths. Great brawler with interesting depth, I like it the more I play it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Only seen it in Youtube clips - the one I usually get is outside, never seen the creepy wallgina place others seem to end up!

edit: if of any use, here's my most recent session notes. Combo interrupter/reaction roundhouse is so good.

Also, possessed by a fury that burns from inside, I just had to snaffle up the remaining three pre-SFC Sega CPS1 ports to complement Senjou no Okami II. >_< First up:
Spoiler
I'd forgotten how stunningly good this port was. God damn! :shock: Even lets you switch the AC four-way stick for comfier eight directions (no more dead stops when hitting diagonals).

I've long had the AC-perfect Capcom Generation 2 on PS1 (along with the Strider set, plus Forgotten Worlds on CCC PS2)... but even without Senjou's essential arrange mode, there's something immortally satisfying about the blood and sweat of a true AC->console triumph. Eternal killer application. Need to pick up Saturn Sega Rally at some point, speaking of.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^Does the Mega Drive port have the same difficulty as the Japanese arcade version? I seem to recall one region or port had nerfed enemy aggression and more chests.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, the PCB region difficulty goes US <<< World < Japan, right? I want to say the JP MD version is based on its region's PCB, but I'm not quite familiar enough with the game. On "Normal" difficulty, it seems pretty accurate from a quick reacquaintance with both (MD and PS1, which is based on the JP region PCB).

jepjepjep would probably be the guy to ask, maybe mikehaggar too. I'm interested to know myself, will look around a bit.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've been playing Gen GNG over the past few days too. Love that early CPS1 stretch.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:
Spoiler
I'd forgotten how stunningly good this port was. God damn! :shock: Even lets you switch the AC four-way stick for comfier eight directions (no more dead stops when hitting diagonals).
Wow. The US version actually keeps the art (I have it loose, but I looked up the box), though it loses the cool logo. I like how the US cart has the JP version included.
BIL

Post by BIL »

So rugged. :o
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It's to my embarrassing shame that I haven't beaten Forgotten Worlds yet. The last boss's attacks just eat my health bar away. :cry:

I'm sure if I took the time to practice it, but time is at a premium right now. (also :cry: )

For some reason I am so stubborn that for over a year now I haven't wanted to start Dai Makaimura without first beating Makaimura (I have the Capcom Gen 2 Saturn pack). Though dozens of tries at the first game's stage 5 make me wonder if it's even worth it...
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^ IMO Makaimura is too different a type of game to worry about such things. As explained on the Awesome Game Replays replay, it requires far more esoteric knowledge of the games enemies and mechanics than Daimakaimura, which is a straight up fast paced rng dodging fest.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Great pick-up with Daimakaimura BIL, the 'Mega Drive' 8-way control option is the bomb IMO.

Talking about Forgotten Worlds, does the 'ol Mode button trick work to stop the instant game-over when using a 6-button pad? I ask because the trick doesn't seem to work on Fusion and I was thinking about getting the cart (JP version).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I think I thrift-store found Forgotten Worlds, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, and Mercs in one batch. Might have been something else in there. Damn, I need to get crackin', they've been waiting a long damn time for me.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I think I thrift-store found Forgotten Worlds, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, and Mercs in one batch. Might have been something else in there. Damn, I need to get crackin', they've been waiting a long damn time for me.
Nice! It would be funny if the other game in there was Chiki Chiki boys.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Nah, on second thought it was either Golden Axe 1 or 2 (maybe both at once). That's not too different, though, right?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Genesis Chiki Chiki Boys is excellent Capcom platforming fun. Even if it is a little on the easy side, the game really pushes you to do the no-miss clear, because you just cannot buy the best weapon/armor upgrades that makes the end of the game extremely manageable if not trivial.

I always love the whole Capcom shop thing they have in their early games (e.g. Black Tiger, Chiki Chiki, Forgotten Worlds) - it's a simple addition but it adds a whole lot of enjoyment to a game. In Chiki you start out buying potions and lives just to survive (because you are not good at the game yet), but as your skill level increases you are buying exclusively the upgrades, and maybe some magic if you have cash to blow.

The game is full of hidden gold stashes, which makes jumping around slashing everything extra fun and rewarding. I don't know if I'd call it an essential platformer but it is high-quality.

I should also mention that I finally beat Marvel Land, a Namco platformer, last week. I had put it down due to other things, but I finally decided to finish it. The game really stops fucking around by the end. The platforming challenges are just positively hellish by the final worlds, requiring precise jumps, extremely narrow timing, and a solid grasp of li'l Talmit's momentum and slightly slippery movement. Speaking of which, the entire last world is an ice stage, making things even worse! :cry:

The abundance of warp zones makes for a bizarrely disorienting experience. You can feasibly skip half the game, though if you don't beat each world's boss, you are at a big disadvantage when you fight the final boss, King Mole. The warp zones are everywhere, and some are invisible, waiting to reward an intrepid explore, or punish a foolish player for jumping where he shouldn't have. As was mentioned over a year ago, one such warp is in the final level, warping back to the beginning of the game! Luckily, if you still have the high-jump powers, you can manage to warp right back without a fuss, but it causes a momentary skip of a heartbeat and an "oh fuck! :shock: " by the player.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

That would be me that mentioned such a warp in Marvel Land. :lol:

The developers probably had a good laugh knowing many players would probably panic thinking they had to go through everything yet again to get back to where they were.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... nd#p995473
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh hey, I was admirin the back cover of MD Daimakaimura and exclaimed "DAMN SON, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU BE BOUT DAT PRIN-PRIN ;3 ;3 ;3" but then I noticed the top-left! :o Turns out the legendary MD art was done by Yuji Kaida, probably best known to shooter fans for his Battle Garegga artworks. I'd not heard of him doing MD covers before.

FRONT
Spoiler
BACK ;3 ;3 ;3
Spoiler
Now I wonder if he did Strider's MD boxart too, and possibly Forgotten Worlds and Senjou no Okami II's. Strider's definitely has a few recognisable aspects (Hiryu's skin and hair tone, Mecha Pon's Kaiju pose, the back cover's Gareggatastic aerial battle). They're all uncredited AFAIK, will look around a bit. I love having these four around. (^ω^)