Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mableguy

Re: Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

Post by mableguy »

Ed Oscuro wrote:BTW, if anybody is looking for a PVM 20L5, I could part with mine - around ZIP 49016 (Southwest Michigan). I paid a lot for it, but I probably won't ask much. I mainly need to free up the space. 20" is pretty manageable.
Just wondering if this offer is still available. I could drive there from Chicago...
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

I found a PVM-20L2 about 15 miles from my house for $100. I'm probably going to get it regardless, since my only CRT is a 32" sony tv that only has s-video and composite.......but what do you guys think of the PVM-20L2 model? Good for 240p content?

EDIT: did some quick searching ( http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55848 ) and found out it has 600 lines.....not as sharp as some PVMs, but at least it's a PVM. I'll probably still get it and finally make my dive into RGB and SCART. Might be time to look online for some SCART>BNC breakout cables and a couple system SCART cables.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Don't get lost in mostly meningless metrics such as TVL. The L2 looks plenty fantastic with 240p content. In fact better than the L5 for my taste.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

kamiboy wrote:Don't get lost in mostly meningless metrics such as TVL. The L2 looks plenty fantastic with 240p content. In fact better than the L5 for my taste.
That's good to know, I've never seen any of these RGB monitors in person before. I've been wanting one for a long time.....they've just been elusive to me thus far :lol: . I contacted the seller, fingers crossed!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I have an L2 and aside from the set's issues (a touch of geometry and convergence) it's great. It'll look miled cleaner than a consumer trinitron, assuming it's not burnt out.

Buy it and never look back!
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Dang it, I got sniped on the auction. I raised my bid up to $150 and still lost cuz the guy put his bid in within the last 30 seconds and I didn't have time to bid again. :cry:
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Shoryukev wrote:Dang it, I got sniped on the auction. I raised my bid up to $150 and still lost cuz the guy put his bid in within the last 30 seconds and I didn't have time to bid again. :cry:
Bid sniping is how you win auctions at a low price. Feign any sign of interest by not bidding until there's 30 seconds left, to keep the price low and guarantee a win.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

GeneraLight wrote:
Shoryukev wrote:Dang it, I got sniped on the auction. I raised my bid up to $150 and still lost cuz the guy put his bid in within the last 30 seconds and I didn't have time to bid again. :cry:
Bid sniping is how you win auctions at a low price. Feign any sign of interest by not bidding until there's 30 seconds left, to keep the price low and guarantee a win.
Yeah I shouldn't have put my base bid in and just waited, oh well....another one will come around.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Yeah the number 1 rule in bidding on ebay, is to never bid until the last 30 seconds (last 10 seconds if you're feeling brave) This keeps the price down and increases your chances of winning it.

Personally I use a sniping app on my phone which automatically bids for me at 5 seconds remaining. I usually always win auctions using this.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

AndehX wrote:Yeah the number 1 rule in bidding on ebay, is to never bid until the last 30 seconds (last 10 seconds if you're feeling brave) This keeps the price down and increases your chances of winning it.

Personally I use a sniping app on my phone which automatically bids for me at 5 seconds remaining. I usually always win auctions using this.
I guess that explains the 11 bids within the last 30 seconds that happened on the auction :lol: I'm no expert when it comes to ebay, sounds like I've got some learning to do....either that or just bite the bullet and pay $4-500 for one.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Is anyone in colorado? Heres one for sale for a good price. PVM-3230.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-3230-3 ... Z#viTabs_0
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

If'n I were anywhere near TN this would be on my radar:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... acctid=900
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

that pvm-3230 i had linked to sold quick. I Wonder if anyone here bought it.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

People in Denver should check if these are still available

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5722652847.html
ashmud

Post by ashmud »

There's a PVM 2950Q in north Georgia. Not my listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262584465686?ul_noapp=true
forin

Post by forin »

Just purchased a BVM-D32E1WU from broadcaststore.com for waaaay more than I probably should have. According to the technician the unit and tubes are pretty much brand new and in premium condition, it even comes with a warranty. They seem to have a few other BVMs in stock but the price is probably higher than most here are willing to pay. Once the unit arrives and I give it a once over I'll give a detailed report when the unit arrives, so far there have been no red flags in dealing with them and they seem reputable.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

There's a PVM hidden away in this Craigslist listing near Cincinnati, Ohio if that's near anyone. Figured it might easily be missed (visible mainly in the 11th picture)

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/5751057844.html
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:There's a PVM hidden away in this Craigslist listing near Cincinnati, Ohio if that's near anyone. Figured it might easily be missed (visible mainly in the 11th picture)

Awesome find. What model do you think it is?
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

GeneraLight wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:There's a PVM hidden away in this Craigslist listing near Cincinnati, Ohio if that's near anyone. Figured it might easily be missed (visible mainly in the 11th picture)

Looks like a 20m2mdu to me.
WARNING: no refuge
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

sky-13 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

Looks like a 20m2mdu to me.
Is that as good as a 20L5?
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

They are very different monitors, the 20m2mdu is only 15KHZ (Standard Definition) Monitor, Fantastic for 240p goodness. The L5 (I believe) supports resolutions up to 1080i. Depending on what you want out of the monitor will determine which is superior to you, the L5, or 20m2mdu.
WARNING: no refuge
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

L5 is the better monitor, unless for some reason you prefer a 600 line tube look instead of 800. L5 is certainly more flexible, but my L2s certainly have a good enough picture for 15KHz content. However the L5 puts out a great image for 240p content as well.

At the end of the day they're not that different; one just has 31KHz support and slightly sharper scanlines for 480i content.

It's also more accurate to refer to the L5's max resolution as 720p, as it's technically more challenging to put out 720 lines every frame, compared to putting out 540 lines in 1/60th second with 1080i. Quite a few consumer "HD" sets do 1080i, but 720p was rare.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Ed Oscuro wrote:It's also more accurate to refer to the L5's max resolution as 720p, as it's technically more challenging to put out 720 lines every frame, compared to putting out 540 lines in 1/60th second with 1080i. Quite a few consumer "HD" sets do 1080i, but 720p was rare.
Yeah, which is why I'm pretty sure these tubes could do 1440i but I haven't convinced anybody to try it yet. I would totally do it myself if I could find a HD BVM or PVM.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

That shows the issue to be a bit more complicated actually - my reading suggests that 720p requires more driving voltage and precision than 1080i, but we are assuming that the image can be resolved by the tube also. The L5's 800TVL spec seems inadequate for 1440i. I've owned a 20" Sony computer monitor which could do at least 1200p and probably 1440i, and I feel that tube's resolution was in a different league (though it's been many years and I could be wrong).
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Ed Oscuro wrote:That shows the issue to be a bit more complicated actually - my reading suggests that 720p requires more driving voltage and precision than 1080i, but we are assuming that the image can be resolved by the tube also. The L5's 800TVL spec seems inadequate for 1440i. I've owned a 20" Sony computer monitor which could do at least 1200p and probably 1440i, and I feel that tube's resolution was in a different league (though it's been many years and I could be wrong).
Well, I'm thinking it should be able to display 1440i for the same reason that 1080i Sony tubes can display 540p (through the analog component input, not HDMI). Of course it won't be able to fully resolve the resolution horizontally, but for PC games it could still look pretty good since it would have less aliasing than 1080i.

And the 24" Trinitron PC monitors have actually been tested running at 2160i (4k)
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Thanks for sharing, I just emailed them. It's about 3 hours away from me, but it could be worth it if it's cheap
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Shoryukev wrote:

Thanks for sharing, I just emailed them. It's about 3 hours away from me, but it could be worth it if it's cheap
Cool, hope they can give you some more info on it. I figured nobody would see it so I felt compelled to share :)
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

He just emailed back and said it's a 1953MD. $50!!!! I just asked him if he could meet me halfway if I gave him gas money. I googled the address and it's further than I thought lol (more like 4-1/2 hours away).

Fingers crossed
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Shoryukev wrote:He just emailed back and said it's a 1953MD. $50!!!! I just asked him if he could meet me halfway if I gave him gas money. I googled the address and it's further than I thought lol (more like 4-1/2 hours away).

Fingers crossed
I did 5 hours round trip for a 14L5. The 20 inchness is very worth it if it's ok.