current favorite albums

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Been getting back into some of my older stuff lately:

Therapy? - Infernal Love, Semi-Detatched, High Anxiety
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Love Battery - Dayglo
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly Soundtrack
Blind Melon - Best of
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
pablo

Post by pablo »

The Pogues - Fairytale in New York

Shane is such a sweetheart <3
it's not hiphop, it's electro
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i love crooked rain crooked rain. :o
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

sjewkestheloon wrote:i love crooked rain crooked rain. :o
I still need to get some Pavement albums :oops:
My Trying Not To
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

SheSaidDutch wrote:
Same here. :oops:
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

professor ganson wrote:
SheSaidDutch wrote:
Same here. :oops:
It's just one of those bands that you have meant to purchase afew albums but end up getting something else. I'm just not prepared to spend £14.99+ for an album.
My Trying Not To
professor ganson

SheSaidDutch wrote:£14.99+ for an album.
Damn, that's expensive. It's cheaper here. In fact, cd prices haven't really increased significantly since they first came out here in the 80s, average price around $15.

current favorites:

Death: The Sound of Perseverence
Pinback: Offcell
Broadcast: Haha Sound
Six Finger Satellite: Law of Ruins
Unwound: Leaves Turn inside You
Slint: Spiderland

And I wouldn't have known about any of these if I hadn't started this thread.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Slint: Spiderland
An absolute Rock & Roll masterpiece. I salute your taste sir.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i've just made the missus visit a cd shop near here house and she's found me the discharge singles collection on 2 cds called decontrol. sweet... 8)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Law of Ruins!! 8)

I've been listening to a ton of stuff, but this was pretty knockout on first listen:

Ground-Zero - Revolutionary Pekinese Opera v1.28
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

professor ganson wrote:In fact, cd prices haven't really increased significantly since they first came out here in the 80s, average price around $15.
Which is bullshit because the cost of producing a CD has been reduced dramatically. Anywho...

I just got the following in the mail

Rebreather - Half Speed Ahead (I forget who it was on this board that mentioned Acid King... whoever it was should check out Rebreather immediately. Some seriously heavy stuff.)
Ramesses/Negative Reaction - split
Boris + Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

[quote="professor ganson"]Damn, that's expensive/quote]

Yeah I know and I've actually payed that price once or twice.. now I either get them in a sale or secondhand.

Currently listening to Weezer-Make Believe
My Trying Not To
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
Ornette Coleman - Beauty is a Rare Thing: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (6 discs!)
Motorhead - No Remorse
The High and Mighty - Home Field Advantage
Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
Silent Poets - For Nothing
Goblin - Zombi/Tenebre OST (import)
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

make believe by weezer is pretty good. but crooked rain by pavement is better hehe get it now.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

[quote="sjewkestheloon"] make believe by weezer is pretty good. but crooked rain by pavement is better hehe get it now.[/quote

Thanks for rubbing alittle more salt in my wounds.. :wink:
My Trying Not To
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Opeth - Ghost Reveries, just stunning. Makes everything else sound like crap.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Imperanon - Stained
Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light
Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity
Godzilla was an inside job
Brian

Post by Brian »

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

MadSteelDarkness wrote:Many thanks, Pa. Coming from you, that is a great compliment. :D

Heh: "They say my haircut is a thing of the past, and my erections never last..." Ahhh, good stuff.

I've got to admit that I haven't heard anything new from them in a while. Seems like I heard a song from them a couple of years ago, and it was pretty metal. But then again, I might have been high. :wink: The last time I saw them was 2002-ish, and they mostly played stuff from Can Kill You. Russell (and possibly another Fuckemo or two), had a side project called U.S.S. Friendship that I saw a year later, and it was a lot more metallic, but with the typical Russell strangeness, natch. I liked it. Hmmm, perhaps it's time to cruise down to Sound on Sound and see if either band has anything new out. I'll report back later.
HAHA! I finally got my "Can Kill You" From Russell. Total scammy situation but it makes me laugh because of who he is and what he does. First I ordered it by priority mail and it never came. After two weeks I went to bed thinking "I gotta email Russell and see what the fuck." So I wakes up to a message from him saying that his email server was down and a buncha yadda yadda. After another week I was getting disgruntled. It showed up the next day in an envelope. Shipped by media mail so he made four extra bucks on shipping right off the bat. I pull the thing out of the unpadded envelope and the case is just shattered. I laughed and opened the remains of the case to find a photocopied piece of paper for the "cover" and trhe same for a tray insert. Looking at the disc one can easily tell that Russell has no clue how to run a CD printer as it was only 2/3 printed.

And then, my god, the music! "We can't work for heterosexuals, we must work for gays". I totally fogot about that shit! Oh man. This is like the best album ever. Rivals the Spits for actual genuine weirdness. Man, I'm so stoked to have this. I really owe you one for mentioning it. I might have forgotten about these guys if not.

I've also been listening to the Dead Vampires. They're like this joke horror band that tries so fucking hard to sound like across between the Misfits and The Ramones with a theremin thrown in. HILARIOUS!!! http://www.myspace.com/deadvampires "Dracula High School" cracks me up every time. Fortunately for me, one of my bestest buddies recorded their new album for them so I've got a prerelease with all fourteen songs.

Another friend also managed to find a bootleg of one of Mitch Hedberg's final shows. A show that I happened to be at. Such a genius. RIP.

Pa
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

cigsthecat wrote:You'd probably like The Gories, The Flakes and The Dirtbombs if you don't already.
The Flakes don't do it for me at all but I definitely consider The Gories to be the only good Detroit band since the Motor City 5. They rock. I haven't heard enough of The Dirtbombs to really formulate an opinion. I'll give 'em a chance because of their heritage but what I have heard isn't nearly as awesome as The Gories.

Pa
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Q and not U- All three albums

NoKillNoBeepBeep
Different Damage
Power

Owls-Self Titled

I need to track down some Ghosts and Vodka tracks now 8)
My Trying Not To
Marc

Post by Marc »

I like No Kill No Beep Beep but never got round to buying any of the others. What's it like, in a similar catchy/weird/new-wave vein?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Riukupastori! - Kirurgia Sairaanhoitajattarille -- Another great band with a deserved exclamation mark. One of the most strange, rocking and beautiful albums I've ever heard.

The Psychic Paramount - Gamelan Into the Mink Supernatural -- Instrumental rock (and I mean rock, no "pastoral" crap here!).
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Marc wrote:I like No Kill No Beep Beep but never got round to buying any of the others. What's it like, in a similar catchy/weird/new-wave vein?
-PM Sent-
My Trying Not To
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Negative Reaction - Everything you need for Galactic Battle Adventures

Fucking HEAVY! Some of the heaviest stuff I've heard in awhile and features one of the best movie sample intros ever.

"Anyone who isn't dead or from another plane of existent would do well to cover their ears... right about... now..."
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
professor ganson

REALLY enjoying:

Chavez: Ride the Fader
Fire Show: Above the Volcano of Flowers
Carcass: Necrotism
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lots of stuff lately.

Happy Family - s/t (the Japanese band, prog-metal)
Meshuggah - I EP + Nothing
Yob - The Unreal Never Lived
Buried At Sea - Migration
Resplendent - The Vicarious Choir EP
Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultis
Grouper - Way Their Crept
Hella - Total Bugs Bunny on Wild Bass 8)
etc.

If there's better doom than Yob I'd like to know of it (been also listening to Esoteric, Sunn O))), Winter, Candlemass, Teeth of Lions.., etc. - not as good).
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

I'm listening to the latest Morbid Angel for several days and I love it, unlike the majority. I'm quite a fan of the newest Morbid Angel cds.

Otherwise:

Maximo Park - ?
Cephalic Carnage - Anomalies
Sinergy - Suicide by my Side
many things of C8 and particularly from Zhark and Praxis Records. Just listen to Nihil Fist on Praxis' website, it's the most asburd and extreme shit I've ever heard in my life.
Rob wrote: If there's better doom than Yob I'd like to know of it (been also listening to Esoteric, Sunn O))), Winter, Candlemass, Teeth of Lions.., etc. - not as good).
My god, drone doom makes my ears bleed. I went to a Sunn O))) concert this summer and god I wasn't able to stay in the room because of the infra basses creating earthquakes and making my clothes and heart vibrate like never.

Oh, and it's Zos Kia Cultus from Behemoth but it's obviously a typing mistake. ;)
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Rob wrote:
If there's better doom than Yob I'd like to know of it (been also listening to Esoteric, Sunn O))), Winter, Candlemass, Teeth of Lions.., etc. - not as good).
Electric Wizard's Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics are up there. If you like Sunn0))) you should check out Khanate. If you like Khanate you may like Otesanek, though I personally don't care for them. They strike me as a Khanate knock off, a band that sounded totally different and morphed into Khanate clones over night. Acrimony are personal faves of mine. Also Corrupted, Grief, Hidden Hand, Nightstick, Negative Reaction, St. Vitus, Disembowelment, Church of Misery, Sleep (Dopesmoker is a must), Om, Graves at Sea, Ramesess, etc etc depending on how you like your doom/sludge whatever.....

I <3 doom.
My god, drone doom makes my ears bleed. I went to a Sunn O))) concert this summer and god I wasn't able to stay in the room because of the infra basses creating earthquakes and making my clothes and heart vibrate like never.
I saw Sunn0))) last year with the Hidden Hand and they were amazing. I was goin to go see them a few weeks ago but missed the chance because of school shit and I had no one to go with. I've seen Khanate 3 times. Once they played with Pelican and Dysrhythmia, and when they started to play, like half the room of scenester kids split. I also saw Grief in November which is up there with the best shows I have ever seen... so fuckin good... played for 2 straight hours...