-

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Keade

Re: Ikaruga PC ver.

Post by Keade »

XoPachi wrote:Trying to record a replay I made.
Man...no recording software that doesn't make the game lag and doesn't cost two arms and your balls. ;~;
Wonder if I can hook up my Avermedia to my laptop and just record the desktop footage.
Something such as http://www.farb-rausch.de/~fg/kkapture/ (free software) could work, it's worth a try.
El_Spank

Post by El_Spank »

XoPachi wrote:Trying to record a replay I made.
Man...no recording software that doesn't make the game lag and doesn't cost two arms and your balls. ;~;
Wonder if I can hook up my Avermedia to my laptop and just record the desktop footage.
I havent tried it, and it was years ago it was recommended but im told bandicam is pretty resourse light. Might be worth a try.

The trial gives a watermark but there you go, free.
~ Used to post here as Greng - Lost access to that email address :< Hi :))))
~ Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bepreying/
snacky

Post by snacky »

Please don't forget Dr_Ian's famous Ikaruga racism demo, http://www.ikaruga.co.uk/files/Dr_Ian/D ... Racism.avi
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

None of you should be surprised to see such blatant evidence of racism in shooting games, after all... This forum is host to one of the most heinous acts of racism ever committed by man, the atrocity known only as...
Spoiler
black man.txt

Totally kidding obv
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Lul, triple the WR? Nope, dude gameovers in the first stage if you watch the replay, hope they do something about this in the next patch, it shouldn't be hard since scores and replays are submitted together.

Finally got grade A in stage 1
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Haha wow. I expected people to try to post hacked/glitched scores.

I didn't expect it to happen quite so quickly. XD
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
blufang

Post by blufang »

I agree. I don't expect to ever get even close to the top, but hacked scores...that is disgusting. What's the point of playing games if you cheat?
Shmups>FPS
Keade

Post by Keade »

^ PC leaderboards and MP games *always* get abused at some point, no exception to it.
Good thing the game has auto-uploaded replay, it may make fixing some exploits easier.

Treasure has recently acknowledged the Windows XP "can't start the game" issues, by the way, and are working on fixing it, so there definitely is some support :)
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

ciox wrote:Finally got grade A in stage 1
You too? I was so proud when I managed it.

EDIT: Hmm...shit. I think I posted a problem I'm having regarding Ikaruga's offline play in another thread. Woops.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

P_HAT wrote:A bit more about lag http://www.ouma.jp/ootake/delay-win7vista.html
That would be much more informative if he had ever updated it for 7/8/8.1.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

StarCreator wrote:
P_HAT wrote:A bit more about lag http://www.ouma.jp/ootake/delay-win7vista.html
That would be much more informative if he had ever updated it for 7/8/8.1.
It's just setting prerendered frames and disabling desktop composition. Both things we already covered and both things that can be done in 7/8/8.1.

That said, the article is wrong, setting prerendered frames or flip queue size to 0 is pointless, everything I read about it says that 0 is either default (ATI) or same as 1 (Nvidia). Set it to 1.

Random thought about lag: after playing this a bit, I'm certain I'm playing this version as well as I the GC version and the XBLA version. If there's any input lag inherit in this port it's minimal. Not saying it isn't noticeable to really good players, but if it's really bad it's a problem with your setup and not this port.

Another thing relating to technical presentation, is anyone successful in forcing proper AA? I ended up having to use FXAA. Also has anyone been successful in extracting the background images used at the title screen?
Neptas

Post by Neptas »

Anyone has problem recording with Fraps? My FPS when recording is capepd at 48FPS, but I have 60 otherwise. Kinda annoying, since the sounds and music are actually going at normal speed, but the rest of the game is going slower (not mentionning that since the game is slow, I can't really show any video)

Someone has this problem? Any idea?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Your PC may not be fast enough to run the game at full speed while it records.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

ok I've bought this. Own the DC original. Never played the Xbox version.

First impression is that it looks excellent. I do notice a very slight lag but it is slight and once you've played a few games you compensate. I haven't mucked around with the graphics card settings yet but I might give it a go to see what happens.

The most suprising thing for me was that I still remembered how to get 21 chains on the first section of level 1.
Neptas

Post by Neptas »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Your PC may not be fast enough to run the game at full speed while it records.
My PC has more than largely what is required to run the game. Every other games I have (included Planetside 2, Crysis, or whatever awfully demanding games you can think of) can be recorded with Fraps at 60FPS without much problems.

I'm not excluding though that the game might dislike my hardware (I have AMD CPU and GPU, I didn't check yet if the game is single-threaded and stuff like that, but could be source of the problem)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Neptas wrote:Anyone has problem recording with Fraps? My FPS when recording is capepd at 48FPS, but I have 60 otherwise. Kinda annoying, since the sounds and music are actually going at normal speed, but the rest of the game is going slower (not mentionning that since the game is slow, I can't really show any video)

I noticed the same thing, with both Fraps and Playclaw. Something about the game just don't like capture software, it seems like.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Keade

Post by Keade »

Not sure this would work, but you could try having Ikaruga run on one CPU core and allow FRAPS to use the others.
Also I have tried .kkcapture and it seems like it is far from being compatible with every game/demo out there, unfortunately - I couldn't make it to work.
Neptas

Post by Neptas »

Keade wrote:Not sure this would work, but you could try having Ikaruga run on one CPU core and allow FRAPS to use the others.
Also I have tried .kkcapture and it seems like it is far from being compatible with every game/demo out there, unfortunately - I couldn't make it to work.
Sadly, didn't work, exactly the same result. I'll try something else like Dxtory or Open Broadcaster Software later.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

Update today:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/ikaruga ... 7675205810

There's now a VSync option in the boot.txt file. I don't think that was there before.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Update did nothing for me.

I'm using windows 7 with an AMD R7850. I've used RadeonPro as suggested and set the Flip Queue Size to 1, limited the FPS to 60 and turned Aero off. I now have no lag in full screen and it plays much better.

However, I do get a smudgy line appearing just off-centre at times (is this tearing?). How do I get rid of that particular annoyance?
ciox

Post by ciox »

Those cards are out, new art so this must be why they were reconnecting with the original character artist.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

12 cards? Not bad.
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Neptas wrote: Sadly, didn't work, exactly the same result. I'll try something else like Dxtory or Open Broadcaster Software later.
Works fine in OBS but I cap frames at 30-ish. I'd honestly stop trying at 60 and see how it works out for you.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

So they added a V-sync option with the latest patch. You set it via the boot.txt file in the install folder. I tested no vysnc against vsync with 1 max pre-rendered frame (set via Radeon Pro) , and there is definitely a frame or so of lag with the latter. No V-sync is instantaneous, but it tears like a mofo.

Pretty disappointing, it seems at the moment there is no way to have zero lag without tearing.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

The more I play this game, the more I realize how much of a memorizer it is. Very similar to R-Type in that respect. I was mainly playing DDP DOJ before buying this and as opposed to DOJ, you really do need to know the environment well in this one. In DOJ you may need to remember certain things but there is still a large emphasis on reaction and execution. I am of course talking about survival, when it comes to scoring, I guess all shmups are memorizors.

Thank god ikaruga let's you choose the chapter you want to practice. I normally don't use save states or stage select, but for such a memory intensive game, where you have to know envrionmental hazards it's a must. I believe it is from stage 3 that memorization becomes a must. Stage 1 and 2 can be survived on skill alone. But those stage 3 moving blocks will catch you off guard if you aren't familiar.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Ghegs wrote:
Neptas wrote:Anyone has problem recording with Fraps? My FPS when recording is capepd at 48FPS, but I have 60 otherwise. Kinda annoying, since the sounds and music are actually going at normal speed, but the rest of the game is going slower (not mentionning that since the game is slow, I can't really show any video)

I noticed the same thing, with both Fraps and Playclaw. Something about the game just don't like capture software, it seems like.
Just tested the game out with Open Broadcaster Software, captures great without any hiccups. It's free too, I'm pretty impressed.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
blufang

Post by blufang »

If playing for score, max chaining entire stages, etc. it is definitely a strict memorizer. However if you are just trying to survive, it isn't at all.
Shmups>FPS
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

blufang wrote:If playing for score, max chaining entire stages, etc. it is definitely a strict memorizer. However if you are just trying to survive, it isn't at all.
Stage 3 suggests otherwise. You have to know where the blocks are moving. I don't know anyone that didn't die in stage 3 on their first play through. These are environmental hazards, foresight is needed, you can't rely on sight dodging in such stages. Ikaruga is very methodical, it is very different from cave games.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

In case anyone wanted to see the actual Steam card images [you can find their locations if you know the game ID #]:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Emoticons [which are pretty terrible for actual use in chat]:
:Ikaruga: Image
:Shinra: Image
:Kagari: Image
: Pigeon: (???) Image

Backgrounds:
Image Image

Sadly the full images are a different location, and I have basically no balance [or income] to buy anything...
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"