The State of Emulation topic

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
trap15

Re: The State of Emulation topic

Post by trap15 »

Because using samples to get around an undumped protection is a hack and inaccurate. Using samples to simulate discrete sound is both optimization and accurate.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

trap15 wrote:Because using samples to get around an undumped protection is a hack and inaccurate. Using samples to simulate discrete sound is both optimization and accurate.
Thank you, couldnt've said it better myself (and typing from a phone didn't help). :)

OmegaFlareX, bear in mind that the only reason that the games you mention use samples is simply because at the time those drivers were made, there was no alternative. In the ideal world where MAMEdev reach their ideal goal in the span of a day, those games will be running discrete emulation, the Toaplan games will have the internal CPU data decapped and the external sample system likely won't exist.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

trap15 wrote:Because using samples to get around an undumped protection is a hack and inaccurate. Using samples to simulate discrete sound is both optimization and accurate.
This makes sense. Thank you.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

trap15 wrote:Use XM6 Type-G for all X68000 emulation endeavors.
Is XM6 Pro-68k a good alternative?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
KAI

Post by KAI »

Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

thanks for the heads up!

Not sure if I like DUO as much as Rev.X/SP yet but it's really fun. Wonder how balanced the roster is at high level. Arcade mode barely changes if you raise the difficulty setting.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

MAME 0.172 is out, big changes: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... art=1&vc=1
I'm waiting for Calamity to update GroovyMAME though, then I'll go and try that integer scaling implementation.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
1up

Post by 1up »

I played SNES tetris on a newer build Snes9X yesterday and the input lag was annoying to no end. Is there a lagfree snes emulator that eliminate inputlag? Same question for a NES emulator.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

ZSNES.
1up wrote:NES emulator.
FCEUX.
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Xyga wrote:MAME 0.172 is out, big changes: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... art=1&vc=1
I'm waiting for Calamity to update GroovyMAME though, then I'll go and try that integer scaling implementation.
Noob MAME question: Do I have to update my ROMs from .171 in order to use a .172 frontend. I just recently dl'd the whole 171 ROMset and I don't fancy doing it again!
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You could just update your romset, no need to re-download the whole thing.
Things to get separately maybe are the 'devices' and 'bios' packs.

It would be really wise to start from a clean install of 0.172 and then copy over some files and folders like nvram or cfg etc, if some are important to you.
A clean new mame.ini is also a must since some of the new features aren't directly accessible nor easy to trigger using the new built-in UI.
Lots of confusion over at mameworld since 0.172 was released, I think I've read some frontends don't work anymore by the way.

Many new cool things happened, but some old things people were still using have been removed, too many changes to tell about.
They have a lot of work to do until things settle a bit, it will probably take months.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

That's really the most aggravating thing about MAME, the constantly changing romsets. Game runs fine today - two seconds from now it's obsolete, bitch.

Probably have hundreds of games now that I don't even know I have from 1946 and shit. The four or five versions of mame I have installed are only from the past couple decades.

I have no idea why the idea of waiting for a "complete" dump or whatever is somehow infeasible before adding stuff.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

There aren't many to update between two versions though.
I find the current parent and clone scheme to be more of a problem, since often they've put the wrong version as parent and you absolutely need to have the clone of the good version with it. Dumb system as it considerably expands the number of entries in your list.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

copy-paster wrote:ZSNES.
No. ZSNES is worse than Snes9x in every way. Besides, you should be using higan/bsnes.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

1up wrote:I played SNES tetris on a newer build Snes9X yesterday and the input lag was annoying to no end. Is there a lagfree snes emulator that eliminate inputlag? Same question for a NES emulator.
Do you have Vsync enabled? If that's not causing the lag, perhaps switch over to the last stable build, I haven't had any issues with it. I'd also recommend trying Higan/Bsnes if your PC can handle it. Nestopia is generally the best choice for NES emulation.
1up

Post by 1up »

yea, I heard ZSNES was garbage too. Will try out higan/bsnes, thanks.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

BryanM wrote:That's really the most aggravating thing about MAME, the constantly changing romsets. Game runs fine today - two seconds from now it's obsolete, bitch.
My workaround for this is to only update MAME when there is a compelling reason to do so. Just running the latest version doesn't do it for me.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Might I ask just what it is people are trying to do with MAME or Mednafen that gives them such a hard time? You're always seeing people complaining about the lack of a GUI, but there doesn't seem to be much to it as far as getting games to run. I mean, in the case of Mednafen, you can literally just drag the .cue file onto the executable to start a game, and Alt + Shift + # is right there in the documentation. As for MAME, can't see why updating roms would be much of a problem unless people absolutely need to be able to play hundreds of games at once. I had more trouble fiddling with ePSXe plugins than I ever had running anything in MAME. (On that note, I really don't see why people are trying so hard to get FFVII's 'swirl' effect working in ePSXe when Mednafen can do it right out of the box.)

I will say that achieving a pleasing aspect ratio and any CRT-like visual effects are tricky, but that's something common to all emulators. Regen, for example, only appears to output at PAL resolutions...
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

trap15 wrote:
copy-paster wrote:ZSNES.
No. ZSNES is worse than Snes9x in every way. Besides, you should be using higan/bsnes.
I like higan on PC, but the accuracy core needs a bear of a computer to run and I'm not sure sure if compatibility is much better than 9x with the balanced core, though it works great on my comp. Telling from a list, it sounds like the compatibility core supports less games than SNES 9x. On android, even the compatibility core runs slow when SNES 9x Next runs perfectly.

The simultaneous button press bug has been fixed on Android Retroarch, so I highly recommend it. The Genesis Plus GX core is one of the only emulators on Android that runs Sega CD well. The Nestopia core is also recommended, though a NstDatabase.xml file is needed for full compatibility.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

null1024

Post by null1024 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Might I ask just what it is people are trying to do with MAME or Mednafen that gives them such a hard time? You're always seeing people complaining about the lack of a GUI, but there doesn't seem to be much to it as far as getting games to run. I mean, in the case of Mednafen, you can literally just drag the .cue file onto the executable to start a game, and Alt + Shift + # is right there in the documentation. As for MAME, can't see why updating roms would be much of a problem unless people absolutely need to be able to play hundreds of games at once. I had more trouble fiddling with ePSXe plugins than I ever had running anything in MAME. (On that note, I really don't see why people are trying so hard to get FFVII's 'swirl' effect working in ePSXe when Mednafen can do it right out of the box.)

I will say that achieving a pleasing aspect ratio and any CRT-like visual effects are tricky, but that's something common to all emulators. Regen, for example, only appears to output at PAL resolutions...
People are lazy, writing a batch file to do config shit over people's heads, and admittedly, throwing up a file open box is a quality-of-life thing people expect at the absolute bare minimum on Windows, end users don't expect otherwise entirely graphical applications to not be fully interactive and need shit dragged onto the icon/typed in on the command line..
Also, even with MAME's recent, noticeably fancier built-in UI [dunno how recent, I haven't bothered updating from .151, but I installed the latest version on a buddy's machine recently], it'll say you're missing ROMs for games that it'll happily load from the command line [and not even say that you're missing anything or what you're missing when you do that, so you can't go fix the alleged problem that loading it through the UI gives you].

As for people fiddling with ePSXe over using Mednafen, people want to run their games at HD res with filters and that new, fancy jitter removing and perspective correct texture plugin I've been hearing about lately, and Mednafen runs games at boring 'ol native res and acts exactly like a PS1.
It's also a household name and likely what their friends and pages of random emulation sites recommended to them.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Lazy or not the recent MAME is perfect for confusing people. Many thing don't actually work from the new built-in UI yet, some don't even save in cfg like they did before, people have no choice but to ask for support yet get yelled on on mameworld forums.
Add to this an automatically unpacking mame.ini would be the most acessible thing to recommend in the meantime, but it has to be created with a command first then might be labelled hidden file in some Windows distributions, so they don't want to do it.
Overall putting all these issues together you get a clusterfuck of unergonomic software.
Developers and people already with enough experience to make do by themselves always like to blame it on the so-called user's laziness, always.
But this time lets be real: in its current state MAME isn't proper yet for such a widespread public release software.
Any developer of whatever software will just never admit such a thing though; again it's always the user who's too stupid or lazy. :wink:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Xyga wrote:Developers and people already with enough experience to make do by themselves always like to blame it on the so-called user's laziness, always.
But this time lets be real: in its current state MAME isn't proper yet for such a widespread public release software.
Any developer of whatever software will just never admit such a thing though; again it's always the user who's too stupid or lazy. :wink:
Man do those people piss me off.

I did an a visual audit of my MAME library yesterday. 400 archives. 213 "available" according to my latest version of MAME. Is there a magic button I can press to audit all my zip files AND automatically update them to work? No. And I sure as hell would not trust any seedy 3rd party application that would perform such a naughty illegal act.

So I have 7 versions of Mame in my Mame directory. The oldest from 2004. The newest from 2011. THAT'S the solution. And god help me if I accidentally play Super Hang-on or some other beltracer with analog controls on one of the older versions.

"Hooray, a utility application that gives me endless chores and homework!!!" said no sane person ever.

MOONWALKER. They even changed the ARCHIVE NAME of freakin' Moonwalker on me. Eesh.

Anyway, did they ever fix the sound on Batsugun?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Batsugun's sound has been working for nearly (if not more than??) 5 years dude. Just get the latest versions and keep your sets up to date, problem solved.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Having 10 different rom folders it's the way to go, but sharing the same paths for mame, demul, makaron, zinc, supermodel and nebula can be a mayor pain in the ass. Took me an entire weekend to reconfigure those shits the last time my "C:" kaputed, that's why I make backups of every single .ini file since that day. #NeverForget
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

trap15 wrote:Batsugun's sound has been working for nearly (if not more than??) 5 years dude.
I don't believe you.

I think I'll wait another 11 years before playing it again. Just to be safe.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BryanM wrote:
trap15 wrote:Batsugun's sound has been working for nearly (if not more than??) 5 years dude.
I don't believe you.

I think I'll wait another 11 years before playing it again. Just to be safe.
Holy shit.

2011 Mame has sound.

It's a much less lonely game with music.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Is there a very good Megadrive emulator that plays nicely on a 1440p G-SYNC monitor?

Fusion isn't cutting at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Domino wrote:Is there a very good Megadrive emulator that plays nicely on a 1440p G-SYNC monitor?

Genesis Plus GX in Retroarch? I don't have g-sync monitor to check, but Retroarch does have a lot of display options.
Domino

Post by Domino »

BrianC wrote:
Domino wrote:Is there a very good Megadrive emulator that plays nicely on a 1440p G-SYNC monitor?

Genesis Plus GX in Retroarch? I don't have g-sync monitor to check, but Retroarch does have a lot of display options.
Is there a good setup guide for Retroarch online? I'm having a hard time trying to get the Genesis Plus GX core to work for some reason.....