New shmup: Jamestown

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Despatche

Re: New shmup: Jamestown

Post by Despatche »

neon guide wrote:it just doesnt feel like playing a shmup and more like guiding a cursor through a maze or something.
This is the part when your reality gets shattered because you realize they're the same thing.

No, the boxart is pretty fitting, really scary that it's being compared to Mega Man of all things.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Like it or not, getting your game on Steam is pretty much how you get your game on the majority of PC gamers' radars. Steam has already become the de-facto digital distribution method of choice on PC; arguments of why it is so successful are kinda moot.

Personally, I don't think I could do any PC gaming without Steam anymore. I even run non-Steam games within Steam just so I can use the in-game overlay. It's just that useful.
Observer

Post by Observer »

The thing with Steam is that, while it's the biggest, you still have plenty of options on where to play the games you want. Well, at least most of the time... Murphy's Law is always at the turn of the corner. The Humble Indie Bundles are a testimony of multiple distributions, even torrenting. That's one of the joys of PC gaming along with mods, messing around with files and stuff like Mame, SSF and ePSXe to make the Saturn and PSX live on and on and on...

It's a pretty useful application. Steam is now offering daily deals, most recent games have achievements to lure achievement whores or just to have nice goals. You can always close it and keep working, composing, programming or playing those japanese h-games :P You are not force-fed Xbox Live. Ok, wrong, GFWL is the Xbox Live for the PC users (hell, Microsoft insists on selling me the mexican Xbox Live newsletter for my nonexistent and invisible Xbox 360, I never thought Mexico was in the southern hemisphere), conceived to kill PC gaming as far as I'm concerned. After I "experienced" GFWL while playing Batman Arkham Aslyum I decided to avoid it like the plague.

Etcetera. The fact is: this is coming to PC. Ode to Joy! Due to my awful work schedule, that's the best news I could get. I can see myself playing this during lunch breaks and asking people to tag along. Mmm, perhaps I should buy an extra El Cheapo USB pad for the occasion.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

emphatic wrote:Release on the 8th of June! http://www.finalformgames.com/jamestown/
I'm surprised and pleased it's coming out this soon. I'll grab it wherever it gets released.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

I was hoping this would land on XBLA. Looks like I'll be picking it up off Steam on Wednesday.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I really like the boxart it has that retro charm which im sure thats what the artist was aiming for. If I saw a boxed version sitting on a shelf it world certainly pique my attention

EDIT:
BPzeBanshee wrote:I thought everything on Steam had DRM anyway?
Yes it does although by and large its not so bad. What the big problem is that some games use their own 3rd party DRM on top of Steams DRM which can make a mess of everything EG Ubisofts TAGEs with Steam (it it worth noting that 3rd party DRM is usually displayed on the Steam store page)
Snake

Post by Snake »

I like the box art. Got kind of a retro NES/C64 level of crap that I automatically respond to.

I'd like to get my hands on a boxed set at some point, but I'll try D2D on Thursday. I'm just glad these guys pulled it off.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:I really like the boxart it has that retro charm which im sure thats what the artist was aiming for. If I saw a boxed version sitting on a shelf it world certainly pique my attention

EDIT:
Yes it does although by and large its not so bad. What the big problem is that some games use their own 3rd party DRM on top of Steams DRM which can make a mess of everything EG Ubisofts TAGEs with Steam (it it worth noting that 3rd party DRM is usually displayed on the Steam store page)
Ah, I see. Its the ADDITIONAL DRM crap on top of Steam that makes things a mess.

Personally I'd rather no DRM, its kinda backwards like those media companies that didn't learn that having DRM and crap with Windows Media Player was a bad idea.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Yes it does...
No, it does not. I really wish people would stop spreading misinformation about how this works. Steam OFFERS, not ENFORCES DRM. If a developer does not want it it wont be on there. I doubt that any big dev game is DRM free (which in the case of Steam DRM only means you can not run it outside of Steam, unless they are assturds like EA)

Some indie games run perfectly fine without Steam and you can copy them freely if you felt like it. One of those is Eufloria. I know one of the devs and he said that no matter how much DRM there is it would get copied/cracked anyway and people who actually buy it should be able to run it sans Steam.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Dude, it was a fair question. You hatin' me bro' just cause I like to ask simple questions? :roll:
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

I am not hating against anyone here. And my reply was directed to TRV who said that all Steam apps have DRM, which is not the case.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The Gamersgate page for this game is now up:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-JTLLC/jame ... ost-colony
DRM: Requires a 3rd party download and account
BOO!!!

Gonna pass on this one. When I buy a game, I like to actually own it. Lemme know how many additional sales that DRM brings you.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

ptoing wrote:I am not hating against anyone here. And my reply was directed to TRV who said that all Steam apps have DRM, which is not the case.
That's cool, though to be fair that wasn't the impression I got when I saw you quoting my question which kinda instigated his (still helpful) answer anyway. :wink:

Speaking of DRM, too bad to hear it has it. You guys wake me up when it comes out and someone figures out a way to buy it and run it offline. :P
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

You can play steam games offline actually pretty easy these days.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Anyone picked this up yet? I'm eager to hear if it's any good.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
rancor

Post by rancor »

Mischief Maker wrote:
DRM: Requires a 3rd party download and account
BOO!!!

Gonna pass on this one. When I buy a game, I like to actually own it. Lemme know how many additional sales that DRM brings you.
Count me out as well. I was really looking forward to this one, as I posted above. If the recent PSN fiasco has taught me anything it's that these online authorization schemes can and do fail. When they do, the customer usually has little to no recourse. I also just don't like to encourage the use of DRM - my money will be spent elsewhere.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I've never used Steam, and don't play any computer games except for a few doujin shmups.. This DRM for Jamestown means you have to be online connected to Steam to play?

If so I'm not buying either.. This is why I want a real disc. This digital download stuff is bullshit. Anyone that relies on being connected to the internet for the ability to play games that they have paid for are way too trusting.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

ptoing wrote:
No, it does not. I really wish people would stop spreading misinformation about how this works. Steam OFFERS, not ENFORCES DRM. If a developer does not want it it wont be on there. I doubt that any big dev game is DRM free (which in the case of Steam DRM only means you can not run it outside of Steam, unless they are assturds like EA)

Some indie games run perfectly fine without Steam and you can copy them freely if you felt like it. One of those is Eufloria. I know one of the devs and he said that no matter how much DRM there is it would get copied/cracked anyway and people who actually buy it should be able to run it sans Steam.
Ah my bad, I didnt know that. Is there many indie games that dont use steams DRM then?

@BPzeBanshee tbh I personally can live with most forms of DRM even Steam plus 3rd party DRM if the game is good.

What I draw the line at is this game Zeit2 which uses TAGES which limits the number of installs to 3. And to my knowledge has no way of increasing the number once you run out.
here is the games storepage, look in the game details section http://store.steampowered.com/app/33390/?snr=1_4_4__13

Thats the only game I know that does this, as other Ubisoft games which use TAGES allows you to increase your number of installs, which it should tell you on the store page. (check another Ubisoft game, I cant show you as for the UK Ubi has removed TAGES from their steam games excluding Zeit2 for some strange reason)
Its worth noting that Jamestown isnt a Ubisoft published game so TAGES doesnt apply here anyway.

Anyone who is worried about DRM needs to realise that its in nearly everything digital nowadays anyway, even on console. So by and large if you are fine buying games on XBLA or PSN you should be fine with Steam. Personally ild pick steam over those on console as im less afraid valve will pull the plug on it in years to come.

Those who still want a totally DRM free game to burn to DVD like those you buy on GOG can just buy a version of the game and wait until someone else removes the DRM for you and sticks it on rapidshare or whatever, which can be burnt to DVD.
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

I completely understanding protecting the game and trying to prevent piracy...but paying customers shouldn't be the ones getting the short end of the stick.

I don't like being told what I can and can't do with the games I buy.
Observer

Post by Observer »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
ptoing wrote:

Ah my bad, I didnt know that. Is there many indie games that dont use steams DRM then?

@BPzeBanshee tbh I personally can live with most forms of DRM even Steam plus 3rd party DRM if the game is good.

What I draw the line at is this game Zeit2 which uses TAGES which limits the number of installs to 3. And to my knowledge has no way of increasing the number once you run out.
here is the games storepage, look in the game details section http://store.steampowered.com/app/33390/?snr=1_4_4__13

Thats the only game I know that does this, as other Ubisoft games which use TAGES allows you to increase your number of installs, which it should tell you on the store page. (check another Ubisoft game, I cant show you as for the UK Ubi has removed TAGES from their steam games excluding Zeit2 for some strange reason)
Its worth noting that Jamestown isnt a Ubisoft published game so TAGES doesnt apply here anyway.

Anyone who is worried about DRM needs to realise that its in nearly everything digital nowadays anyway, even on console. So by and large if you are fine buying games on XBLA or PSN you should be fine with Steam. Personally ild pick steam over those on console as im less afraid valve will pull the plug on it in years to come.

Those who still want a totally DRM free game to burn to DVD like those you buy on GOG can just buy a version of the game and wait until someone else removes the DRM for you and sticks it on rapidshare or whatever, which can be burnt to DVD.
This. Or contact the devs and ask if the D2D version will be the installer and that's it. Gamersgate sometimes does that thing of selling you Steam CD keys (as it's the case of Zeit2 and, apparently, Jamestown). Or you can ask them to sign to DLsite or something, there are always options OTHER than bitching ffs! This isn't XBLA/XBLIG or some strict shit with insufferable guidelines and rating systems ready to send you to the bottom. I point out again the Humble Indie Bundles when it comes to a nearly-perfect distribution system: uses Steam for those who want it, regular downloads that don't require anything, you can torrent them and more.

But, all this misinformation and pointless bitching. As if this was region locked or something! First of all, Steam has an offline mode. You don't have to be online all the time.

One thing that has me thinking is the final price. $9, $15 or $20?
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

rancor wrote:f the recent PSN fiasco has taught me anything it's that these online authorization schemes can and do fail. When they do, the customer usually has little to no recourse.
Ha ha! I finally got my apology email from PSN this week MONTHS after cancelling my credit card. 30 days free membership on PSN plus??? Wow! The last time I was ever offered such an amazing freebie, it was an introductory bonus on a piece of junk mail!
Observer wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Those who still want a totally DRM free game to burn to DVD like those you buy on GOG can just buy a version of the game and wait until someone else removes the DRM for you and sticks it on rapidshare or whatever, which can be burnt to DVD.
This. Or contact the devs and ask if the D2D version will be the installer and that's it. Gamersgate sometimes does that thing of selling you Steam CD keys (as it's the case of Zeit2 and, apparently, Jamestown). Or you can ask them to sign to DLsite or something, there are always options OTHER than bitching ffs! This isn't XBLA/XBLIG or some strict shit with insufferable guidelines and rating systems ready to send you to the bottom. I point out again the Humble Indie Bundles when it comes to a nearly-perfect distribution system: uses Steam for those who want it, regular downloads that don't require anything, you can torrent them and more.

But, all this misinformation and pointless bitching. As if this was region locked or something! First of all, Steam has an offline mode. You don't have to be online all the time.
Yeah yeah, Steam has an offline mode, it's not so bad, just pretend you're eating a banana. OR, I can just wait and use an illegal cracked copy and enjoy the game by itself instead of a legal copy that treats me like a criminal who's LUCKY to have the privilege of playing their game for the time being and meanwhile tracking my gaming habits and god knows what else. Such options!

Look, I wanted to celebrate a bullet hell game being made stateside. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. But I think we should all channel our inner Gordon Ramsay's and realize that, indie or not, it's a business, and any business that pisses off customers should be prepared to face the consequences.

I was under the impression that the developers for this game were reading these forums. If those Devs are here, I suggest you read this article. Also, Chronic Logic used to have a pain-in-the-ass DRM for their games, but they've since gone DRM-free (at least with their flagship title Gish) and they're not starving to death.

And for the record, Finding the 3rd word of the 4th paragraph on page 27 SUCKED!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

If you're going to blow things completely out of proportion based on a one sentence blurb from some website that isn't even the game's developer, you could at least get your facts right. It's impossible for you to have cancelled your credit card in response to the PSN hack "MONTHS" ago considering Sony only acknowledged they were hacked one month ago.
westquote

Post by westquote »

Hi Everybody!

We're on the very cusp of launch, and have been popping into this thread with increasing frequency as the big day approaches. Glad to see you guys are excited about the pixels and gameplay!

We noticed that there's been a lot of talk about Steam, so we thought we'd reach out and let you know why we chose that direction:

1. Steam provides us with a secure high score leaderboard database and integration.
2. Steam provides a unique ID for each player, as well as a per-user friends list that we use to give you a friends-only leaderboard.
3. Centralizing through Steam lets us patch any bugs to all users, regardless of their distribution channel.
4. Steam helps ensure the integrity of the leaderboards by protecting the executable and requiring that all high scores be pushed from the most recent version.

We're a small team, and we want to give you guys a really solid experience. From our perspective, using Steam was the best way to make that happen. Preventing piracy was not our motivation.

We also want you to know that Steam allows for offline play (without online leaderboards, for reasons that we hope are obvious), lets you install the game on any number of machines, and does not require online authorization. :)

We need to go finish launching the game now, but we wanted you to know that we do read these forums (and have for years), care about how you feel, and have tried our best to make something you will enjoy.

We hope you like it! :D
--Tim, Mike, and Hal (Final Form Games)
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

Thanks guys! Appreciate your hard work and I cannot wait to play this game!
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So the "3rd party download and account" Gamersgate describes is actually Steam? Seems a little unusual but I don't have a problem with it, especially if there's no online authorization.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

westquote wrote:We're a small team, and we want to give you guys a really solid experience. From our perspective, using Steam was the best way to make that happen. Preventing piracy was not our motivation.
Glad to hear it! Lemme know when you release a DRM-free version.

ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Normally I couldn't be bothered to find out how this steam-thingie works but I will boldly go forth in hopes of a game that plays as awesome as it looks. Cheers
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

Do we know a price yet?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Normally I couldn't be bothered to find out how this steam-thingie works but I will boldly go forth in hopes of a game that plays as awesome as it looks. Cheers
Off topic, but if you're just now signing up for Steam, don't forget to redeem your free games (ATI NVIDIA). Not much but I think it's enough to play 3rd party mods requiring the Source engine.
disCorder

Post by disCorder »

MauJustice wrote:Do we know a price yet?
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-JTLLC/jame ... ost-colony
Price: €8.95.