Bayonetta (PS3/360)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
honorless

Re: Bayonetta (PS3/360)

Post by honorless »

If you haven't imported the game already or bothered downloading the demo from a JP account (maybe there are a few of you out there) Siliconera is handing out promo codes for the English version. 360 only, mind.

Said demo apparently be available to the public on Thursday.
video games suck
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I bit the bullet and got the import 360 version.

I'll keep this short: holy shit this game is awesome. Go buy it.

That is all.
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
"You're at shmups.com. We're all psychics full of righteous indignation!"
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Yes... this game is THE shit. I bet it doesn't get the sales that it deserves over here. GOTY for me.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
antifrog

Post by antifrog »

I'm waiting the US/asian release to see some japanese versions price drop a little bit to buy it; but I'm quite sure this is the beat I was waiting since God Hand!
Don't you think so, Zach?
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Rumour has it EU/Us version will be improved to meet complains of critics

Guess, my wait might work out well. (got too many stuff to play now anyway). :roll:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

Strider77 wrote:Yes... this game is THE shit. I bet it doesn't get the sales that it deserves over here. GOTY for me.
You know its either going to turn in to lara for the year 2010+ or its going to be our little secret :mrgreen:
I'm a bit disappointed shes not in Sonic sega superstar racing :lol: lol
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

The demo is up on the UK XBLA. My broadband picked a fine time to turn slow and useless on me.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Any rough estimates on how long the game is? I'm savoring every moment so far, just curious how much they managed to cram on a single DVD.
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

120mm or 4.75 inches.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:120mm or 4.75 inches.
Har har har :mrgreen:
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Cthulhu wrote:Any rough estimates on how long the game is? I'm savoring every moment so far, just curious how much they managed to cram on a single DVD.
Average playtime for a first run-through (presumably on Normal) is around 12 hours. I've put in roughly 70 into the game total and there are others here who have no doubt put in more.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Kiken wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:Any rough estimates on how long the game is? I'm savoring every moment so far, just curious how much they managed to cram on a single DVD.
Average playtime for a first run-through (presumably on Normal) is around 12 hours. I've put in roughly 70 into the game total and there are others here who have no doubt put in more.
Nice, that's pretty good. I've already redone at least one level, will probably do that again. And again. :D

I'm having a rough time finding some of the missing enounters/verses in some of the levels... I'm debating hitting up Japanese walkthrough sites to try and figure out what I'm missing. I guess it's possible I'm missing a move or weapon I need to get to them, but I haven't seen any indication of where they even might be. Ahh well. Got plenty of main missions to do still, so I think I'm getting ahead of myself.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

The majority of the missed verses are Alfheim portals. Off the top of my head, I know that the first one is where the key is after you've activated the platform in Chapter 1. There's another in Chapter 2 if you go back to where the burning cart came from. A bunch require you to backtrack to the beginning of the level after beating a certain area, so just use the guide on GameFAQs or something.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Played the demo. Now I see why you guys have been creaming your pants over this game. It makes this style of gameplay as exciting in 2009 as Devil May Cry did in 2001. No small achievement. And good grief it has colours that aren't brown and grey! And a main character who shakes her butt as well as Vanessa Z Schneider did in P.N.03. I'm getting this the day it comes out in the UK :mrgreen:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I thought it was a bit OTT in every way. Camera panning, swirling.. special moves making all sorts of fists and dragon jaws appear.

Not my cuppa. They should lose the sonic the hedgehog music as well. There is absolutely no atmosphere of fear in the game because of it. You might as well be listening to jingle bells whilst playing it.

In fact, the only thing I like about the game is that its a technical marvel to look at.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

You just suck at it...... it has after burner and space harrier music, not sonic music.... like DUH... EVERYONE knows that, GAWD!!!

I bet you just played like a minute of it.... the demo in other words. on the PS3...... (if not a minute.... how far did you get?)

FLAME WAR!!!!! I like Bayonetta so much I'll be more than happy to flame on this topic. The over the top is what makes it so good and constantly so amusing.... why has it always gotta be so serious all the time. It's quite serious about the combat engine. Beat that shit on infinite climax foo' .

What mavel of a 3rd person action melee game destroys Beyonetta.... in all seriousness.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Hm sounds like i have to get the demo.
Pain in the ass with my slow connection, though.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I played through Ninja blade yesterday on my 360 yesterday actually loved it, crazy, crazy game. I'm downloading UK XBL version of bayonetta as I type, fingers crossed on this one.
Vidi Vici Veni
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Yeah I enjoyed Ninja blade also.... not the most amazing game ever but I really enjoyed it.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

i really want this game

not sure if i'll import or wait for a western release
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

apple arcade wrote:i really want this game

not sure if i'll import or wait for a western release
Will be out in Jan, so just wait at this point.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

well by wait for a western release i kind of mean wait until it reaches bargain price.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Strider77 wrote:What mavel of a 3rd person action melee game destroys Beyonetta.... in all seriousness.
It seems like only the Japanese get third person hack and slash/beat 'em ups right nowadays. Americans and Europeans tend to add "depth" with RPG elements like leveling up and rock-paper-scissor mechanics, which is as deep as a pool of water on a flat sidewalk. Compare that to the Japanese focus on timing, patterns, and abilities that differ from one another with things other than simply the amount of damage. God of War is really the only American hack and slash that I enjoy a lot.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The PS3 USA demo version of Bayonetta weighs in at 1,664MB compared to it's JPN PS3 demo counterpart which weighs in at 1,195MB. Good things come to those who wait.

What extra Bayonetta demo content in featured in the USA PS3 demo version anyways?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:The PS3 USA demo version of Bayonetta weighs in at 1,664MB compared to it's JPN PS3 demo counterpart which weighs in at 1,195MB. Good things come to those who wait.

What extra Bayonetta demo content in featured in the USA PS3 demo version anyways?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
No extra content AFAIK, but there were reports about it having less compressed textures, lighter fog and more or less fixed framerates.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I just played the USA PS3 demo. I noticed a few framerate hiccups but they were pretty inconsequential and seemed to have more to do with "changing gears" (game to/from cutscene to/from 2D infographics, etc.) than anything else.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I just played the USA PS3 demo. I noticed a few framerate hiccups but they were pretty inconsequential and seemed to have more to do with "changing gears" (game to/from cutscene to/from 2D infographics, etc.) than anything else.
If they did fix it up more, awesome. I wanted this for the PS3 (since I primarily play that these days, plus it's the only thing I have HDMI on...), but since I was getting the import, I went for the 360 version.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Strider77 wrote:You just suck at it...... it has after burner and space harrier music, not sonic music.... like DUH... EVERYONE knows that, GAWD!!!

I bet you just played like a minute of it.... the demo in other words. on the PS3...... (if not a minute.... how far did you get?)

FLAME WAR!!!!! I like Bayonetta so much I'll be more than happy to flame on this topic. The over the top is what makes it so good and constantly so amusing.... why has it always gotta be so serious all the time. It's quite serious about the combat engine. Beat that shit on infinite climax foo' .

What mavel of a 3rd person action melee game destroys Beyonetta.... in all seriousness.
I thought the moves were a little complex for a multi enemy brawler. No point trying to be good at something you just don't connect with. And there is nobody that has a God given right to be fantastic at every game.

From the demo, I honestly couldn't tell what was going on. The training combos with full circular motions seemed rather daunting in the heat of battle. I just didn't connect with it, and the big monsters and arms coming out of the ground took any sense of realism out of the game. The comic style of the main character seemed out of place too. Some smartly dressed matrix type character just doesn't cut it anymore. Even though I think I was crap at it, I didn't actually die and played for approx 15 minutes and done the full training.

I don't know what a melee game is, but I'm getting the feeling that because its a melee game that I don't like it. I tried to like DMC1 when it came out, but I hated it as well, with its respawning of enemies and highly priced power ups. I hate buying power ups.

They need to redo the video, on the PS3 its tame in comparison to the graphics of the game. Even God of War collection gave it a run for its money and thats PS2 upscaled.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

It's supposed to be an unrealistic, over the top, hack and slash game. Complaining it is any of those things is like saying you don't like Ridge Racer because there are cars, ridges and racing. What did you expect?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

There's only one real combo that you'll be using after Normal (Kilgore exploit) and a few moves.

If you hated DMC1 it's obvious you aren't going to like a game by the creator of DMC1.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.