Gradius V

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
tviks

Re: !

Post by tviks »

DEL wrote:Well, tviks' 16 loops :shock: with a type 1 edit (I think it was type 1?) is a fair indication of an type 1 advantage :wink:
yep, it was basically just type 1 with spread bomb and vertical double.

By the way, why do people keep saying "16 loops"? 16-1 means that 15 loops were cleared. If you die in stage 1-1, does that mean that you completed one loop? :D
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

By the way, why do people keep saying "16 loops"? 16-1 means that 15 loops were cleared. If you die in stage 1-1, does that mean that you completed one loop?
^Ah Hell you're right. 15 loops is sloppy.

Try harder next time. :wink:
Last edited by DEL on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I agree, a "loop" seems to indicate one clear of the game (LOOPING it)... but even the Gradius V stage select calls the 1-x stages "Loop 1" So...
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

DEL wrote:
Type 4 gave me a whole heap of trouble from loop 3 onwards. Its nice for a couple of loops then I guess it sucks.
What do you mean with a couple of loops?
I admit my question wasnt that specific
Lets say it like this:
Is it better to go on with type 4 when you aim for the 3rd loop (nothing more nothing less) or is it easier to change on a completely different formation like type 1 and then attempt to reach it?
I dont want to beat tviks, but Gradius V is dusting in my room and i just wanted to have some nice time again with it. I anyway wanted to reach round 3, so this is why i am asking.
Plus, 4mil still proves skills, too :wink:
tviks

Post by tviks »

elfhentaifan wrote:Is it better to go on with type 4 when you aim for the 3rd loop (nothing more nothing less) or is it easier to change on a completely different formation like type 1 and then attempt to reach it?
How should we know anyway? Why not just find out yourself, it will be far more fun. ;) But I strongly recommend type 1 or the edit that I used. Once you get the hang of it, you will never touch type 4 again.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

tviks wrote;
But I strongly recommend type 1 or the edit that I used. Once you get the hang of it, you will never touch type 4 again.
tviks is of course right.

elfhentaifan - My point was simply that type 4 has severe limitations for the later loops. You could try to get around these limitations, but there are places like the Stage 7 MidBoss where type 1 can have huge advantages. If you can learn to fix your options inside bosses with type 1, the spread bombs will be highly effective. You just can't do this with type 4.
jpj

Post by jpj »

jpj - 1,766,250 - 1-7 - Type 2
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

DEL wrote: elfhentaifan - My point was simply that type 4 has severe limitations for the later loops. You could try to get around these limitations, but there are places like the Stage 7 MidBoss where type 1 can have huge advantages. If you can learn to fix your options inside bosses with type 1, the spread bombs will be highly effective. You just can't do this with type 4.
yeah, i got this, and i already experienced some of the "several limitations",too.
It will be a matter of time to find out how to manage loop 2, but i wont get that much in this game again as i once have been.
The biggest reason is that about 30-40 minutes is pure waiting and the parts after are just annoying, like the whole stage 6.
When i played loop 2 again, it gave me a shot then, i surely have to do some stage-select tries with type 1 to widen my current knowledge about the key-parts in hope of any improvement :)
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I think if you consider a stage is called a stage and doesn't necessarily suggest that "Stage 1-1" means you have cleared it [only reached it], then Loop 1 can be uncleared but still be a loop.

Ah, that funky Japanese.
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
phl0w

Post by phl0w »

Hi there, I am new to this forum and shmups, for that matter.
Although I own a handful of decent games like Ikaruga, Psyvariar1+2, Under Defeat, Shikigami2 and the mighty Gradius V, I've just played them for survival so far. When playing I keep wondering though, on what difficulty level most people play when going for high scores? Are the hardest settings the way to go? Or is "normal" how developers balanced the game? Sorry if I am a little off-topic, but I couldn't find a clear answer on these boards.
Looking forward to an answer.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

All defaults :)
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

"When playing I keep wondering though, on what difficulty level most people play when going for high scores? Are the hardest settings the way to go? Or is "normal" how developers balanced the game? Sorry if I am a little off-topic, but I couldn't find a clear answer on these boards."

All defaults for scoring runs. But you do up open up a box of questions with which level developers 'balance' the game with! It makes you wonder with some games if 'NORMAL' was the intended level!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Carmen wrote:All defaults for scoring runs. But you do up open up a box of questions with which level developers 'balance' the game with! It makes you wonder with some games if 'NORMAL' was the intended level!
I think most developers focus on balancing the default mode best, since it's the one that will be played most of the time. I remember that on Metal Slug 3, if you played on Level 8 (hardest mode), there were one or two places where it was impossible to consistently go through without dying (they became based on luck).
phl0w

Post by phl0w »

Thanks for your answers! That's what I figured

I guess I'm pretty late mentioning this, but was Gradius V intended to resemble Ikaruga that much? When I first started the game first thing that popped into my mind was "this looks like Ikaruga- only horizontal". The style, the lightning, the music, the cutscenes. Those larger ships you're confronted with... Don't get me wrong, Treasure games are great and I'm happy and it feels familiar, since I like Ikaruga very much. Besides, its heritage is definitely not one a game is better off denying. But it's striking...
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Konami recruited Treasure to do Gradius V for them.
phl0w

Post by phl0w »

I know that it's from Treasure, but that doesn't say anything. Treasure games are usually unique in their style and gameplay. That's why I wondered why they would create something so similar. Maybe they wanted to engrave their handwriting in a series as established as Gradius?
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

Code: Select all

Name      Score       Stage   Option Type
Kenchan   1,324,410   1-6     Type 1
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Ayanami - 2,201,200 - Stage 1-7 - Type 4

Trying to 1cc this thing again since I am pretty damn close to it. Stage 7 is giving me the hardest time though.

Fuck you turret wall. :cry:
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

Jesus it's been a while, I know I've cleared 1.6m now. Coming back to this game again :D
bsidwell

Re: Gradius V

Post by bsidwell »

Name      Score       Stage   Option Type
bsidwell  913,990      1-4      Type 4
Not great, but good enough for not-last place so I'm posting it. Stupid cell walls get me every time. :/
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

If Minzoku doesnt respond in a week i'd like to open a new thread of this game!
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Sorry, has it been a week? :( I have a notification set, I try to respond within a day or two.

Oh, crap, how did I miss you guys... somebody PM me if I ever do that :?
unsane

Post by unsane »

Minzoku wrote:Sorry, has it been a week? :( I have a notification set, I try to respond within a day or two.

Oh, crap, how did I miss you guys... somebody PM me if I ever do that :?

Looks more like elfhentaifan jumped the gun, since iirc the thread was up to date until bsidwell's new score yesterday. :P
MJR

Post by MJR »

elfhentaifan wrote:If Minzoku doesnt respond in a week i'd like to open a new thread of this game!
That's bit rough don't you think :shock:
Some threads may well take few weeks to update (viper phase 1 for example)
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

PM-ing someone to update a score thread is pretty much the way to do it, I've done it for Sam for the Fire Shark thread a few times, and he's always updated shortly thereafter, give the young lady a chance. ;)
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

well i just didnt notice Minzoku in here at all anymore, thought he has already vanished already.
Its actually good to see this thread has been awakened again :)
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Yeah, I troll a lot, since I don't have much to add, but I do update this thread if someone posts a new score :)
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

Name         Score      Stage   Option Type
bsidwell   1,229,630     1-5      Edit
Blaster Cannon Core is a bit of a bastard.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

you should just cheat and use e-laser
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

shoe-sama wrote:you should just cheat and use e-laser
shhh
no cheating in here