Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

sounds good. I guess I need to give it another try.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Fudoh wrote:
No patching needed for ESPGALUDA or DDP-DOJ? No improvement I mean?
They already run in native 240p when set to TATE.
Is this only on a monitor or just on a regular NTSC CRT set? Can a regular CRT TV do a progressive scan image?
FULL LOCK is BOMB
antron

Post by antron »

8 1/2 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
No patching needed for ESPGALUDA or DDP-DOJ? No improvement I mean?
They already run in native 240p when set to TATE.
Is this only on a monitor or just on a regular NTSC CRT set? Can a regular CRT TV do a progressive scan image?
regular CRT

it really isn't a progressive scan image. the tv thinks it's 480i.

I think it is a non-standard implementation. the tv is only told to repeat the same lines each frame, never drawing every other one.

you can probably only really appreciate it in RGB or component.

reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/240p
Last edited by antron on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

does work with composite connections as well, even RF if you want. It's been a broadcast standard since the 70s, it's just barely used. On 480i material two successive fields are shifted a line from each other, while on 240p materials two successive fields are drawn on the same (odd) lines. The even lines remain "empty" thus the visible scanlines "show up".
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Aside from the shmups, this might produce interesting results for the Capcom fighters like Capcom vs SNK2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2. The backgrounds in those games are fine but the sprites are all blocked up. The 240p patch might do them some good.

I've acquired the Dragon Blaze shooting collection (Jap), so I'll try it on that when I get the chance.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

I tried to apply this to ibara using winhiip (I'm using hdloader) and it didn't work. The message I get is "the ppf file is not valid for the selected image because it has offsets beyond the image data."

Mushi seemed to work. I'll try that on my ps2 now.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

mushi looks better now. Nice. Now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make the patch work with ibara. Hmmmm.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

Any help? :? Still trying to get Ibara to work with the patch.
antron

Post by antron »

Jack Burton wrote:the patch.
which patch are you using?
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

antron wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:the patch.
which patch are you using?
This one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=14c3 ... dcc9c[url]

It was from page 5 when you reposted the links. I used the one for Ibara. I did notice that nothing shows up now.
antron

Post by antron »

If I am not mistaken mushi is a CD and Ibara is a DVD.

I am guessing that winhiip can't patch really large files. Try PPF-o-Matic.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

They're both DVDs, actually. :wink:
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Hex Toolbox (as stated before somewhere in the thread) handles big files very well and you don't need dedicated patches, so you can play around with the fix on whichever games you like...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Does NOT work on Psikyo Collection 3 - Sol Divide & Dragon Blaze.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

There is a homemade compilation of Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 for PS2 knocking around the web. The games are extracted from MK Deception and Midway Treasures. This hex replacement seems to work on them all.

So it might be worth trying this with the legitimate Midway Treasures ISOs too.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I don't see why the developers can't just add a fucking option, like in the Streetfighter 3 Xbox port

Will PCSX2 work with legit ps2 games
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Neon wrote:I don't see why the developers can't just add a fucking option, like in the Streetfighter 3 Xbox port

Will PCSX2 work with legit ps2 games
works for cd bases games for sure, havent tried dvds yet
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Thanks much for the game patches. I'm finally able to use them to the fullest.

After extensive time on PCSX2 on a crt and lcd, and a PS2 VIA the 1080p megacool box using a variety of tvs, lcds and crt i have come to a decision.

Using the PS2 with the megacool or equivalent, looks better than without. CRT looks better then an LCD. We knew this. The patch makes a HUGE difference when running via the megacool, it becomes nearly as good looking as the emulator on a crt. Without the patch, the visuals are a major turnoff for me...

So for me I ended up removing my CRT from my computer, setting up the ps2 with upscale box with an old ps2 stick in a dedicated section of the living room. Without the patch I would not have done this. My mac and PC have been reconfigured to share a second monitor, so its all good.

The interlace patch makes no difference for PCSX2. While PCSX2 can make games like Mushihimesama and Ibara look nice on the right settings, its still a PC emulator. It has all those complexities that can take away from simply enjoying the game(like the occasional crash on startup). To it's advantage the image is the most stable I have seen for Mushi or Ibara. There are tons of subtleties in transparencies and effects that show up much better than using the PS2 itself. Additionally, although PCSX2 has anti aliasing (aka texture filtering) it does not work well on 2D games and should be left off. It tends to add horrible colored borders to many sprites. Without filtering games look pixelated on LCD monitors. Even when texture filtering is enabled, it just makes games look, well mushi. PCSX2 works best for Mushihimesama and Ibara with a CRT set to ~640x480.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

I finally got this to work with Ibara!! :D Nice!!!!!
Limbrooke

Re: Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

Post by Limbrooke »

Does anyone have that Hamster release of Thunder Cross? I wonder if anyone who does have could test out the patch it or confirm if it does work or not.

Also, has anyone tried the patches with SF Anniversary? I'm aware the NTSC-J 3S didn't work but perhaps the NTSC-U/C set does.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
antron

Post by antron »

Here are PPF patches for Ibara and Mushi
free registration required:
http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name= ... nterlacers
Limbrooke wrote:Does anyone have that Hamster release of Thunder Cross? I wonder if anyone who does have could test out the patch it or confirm if it does work or not.

Also, has anyone tried the patches with SF Anniversary? I'm aware the NTSC-J 3S didn't work but perhaps the NTSC-U/C set does.

I thing the image I tried it with was the US. no dice.
Last edited by antron on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Recenly tried the patch on SNK/Playmore's Garou and it works very nice. This essentially puts the PS2 ahead of the DC and 360 version in terms of graphical presentation as close to the NG original as possible.

(and while at it: I recently put together a new PC and I can't see the contents of a PS2 DVD on my file browser/explorer anymore. Video and other data DVDs display fine, but not PS2 DVDs. Ripping into ISO format using Magic ISO doesn't work either, so I have to rip into UIF format and convert to ISO afterwards. Any idea what's wrong ? The contents of the discs get displayed once I start any application with it's own UDF driver (e.g. Nero, PlexTools, AnyDVD))
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

Sorry, but can someone re-upload the mushi and ibara patches? I was late to the thread, and would like to try them, sounds great.
“What did I had done!”
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You don't need dedicated patches. Download HEX TOOLBOX and just change the values according to the instructions in the initial post. This way you can try it on all the games you like.

Update: KOF11 works as well. The Hi-Res menus look more blocky of course, but the in-game battles look great compared to before.
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

Just patched mushi, I'm surprised how much better it looks. Now for ibara...
“What did I had done!”
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Is there a particular version of Hex Toolbox I should be using? I downloaded a trial version and when I try and use the search and replace function it starts on 60% complete then takes about two hours to reach 100% only to tell me that no strings were replaced. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'd love to fix Garou and try the rest of the PS2 fighting game library as they should be.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm using v2.36 which is obviously from 2005. It's a trial as well and asks you to wait 20 seconds after the startup. Don't use the replace function, just the regular search form on top. Make sure to switch the Search type on the left to "Hex" before entering the code on the right (you can enter it with or without spaces). The two search strings can always be found quite near next to each other (about 4 lines apart). In the SNK games there're 3 places in which you need to replace the code. They're all quite at the end, so you can start the search way down in the file. If Hex Tools finds your search string it gets highlighted red. Just double click into the code to change it (use the numers on top of the keyboard, not the numpad on the right).

Once you've done it for one game, it's a matter of seconds for all the others. Searching a 1GB file takes about 1min over here.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Thanks for the advice, I've got it working now. I've tried it with a few games now and I'm very impressed. A shame it doesn't work with Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shobu. :(

Is there any kind of pattern to which games will work? I'm guessing that multi-game discs don't work as I've tried a few of the SNK online series and they only go as far as the title screen (admittedly in lovely 240p :) ). I just wondered if anyone else had found this before I go and waste discs on Street Fighter Zero Fighter's Generation and Vampire: Darkstalker's Collection.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm guessing that multi-game discs don't work as I've tried a few of the SNK online series
I guess there's really no pattern. It works on the SNK/Playmore Metal Slug Collection which is a multi-game disc as well.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Here's the complete list of games tested by myself and other posters in this thread. I'll add to it as I test more. I don't know how laborious figuring this kind of thing out actually is but it would be amazing if someone could find out the strings that need to be changed in the Capcom fighters.

Working:

Working:

Garou Mark of the Wolves (JPN)
Hokuto no Ken (JPN)
Ibara (JPN)
King of Fighters XI (JPN)
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (JPN)
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (JPN)
Metal Slug Complete (JPN)
Mushihimesama (JPN)
Raiden III (JPN)
Shikigami no Shiro II (JPN)
SNK Collection Vol. 1 (JPN)
Thunder Force VI (JPN)

non working:

Castle Shikigami 2 (US)
Gekka no Kenshi 2 in 1 (JPN)
Gradius V (JPN)
Gunbird SE (PAL)
Hyper Street Fighter II (JPN)
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (US)
Psyvariar (PAL)
Psikyo Shooting Collection 2 (JPN)
Psikyo Shooting Collection 3 (JPN)
Samurai Aces (PAL)
Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shobu (JPN)
Shienryu Double Pack (JPN)
Street Fighter III Third Strike (JPN)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (US)
Street Fighter Zero Fighter's Generations (JPN)
Vampire: Darstalker's Collection (JPN)
World Heroes Gorgeous (JPN)
Last edited by Rupert H on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.