Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Collingall

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Collingall »

citrus3000psi wrote:Collingal is handling the case aspect part which will be available on his thingverse. But here is the PCB info to be able to build your own.

1.6mm thickness https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/yROQl0A7

Spacers that connect the plug to the board, you need 2.
.8mm thickness https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/ghu7Je25

This has some 0402 components, which are tiny.

Firmware required for this (its a modified 2.3, thanks Unseen):

https://mega.nz/#!ys0wTbhB!cSC8PtNZ_0dx ... k49QIc9eTQ
3D files are now available
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2561802
Paar

Post by Paar »

I am happy that this project exists and plan to build one adapter on my own. I have tried to locate all parts necessary and I have to say that it would be nice to have it more future proof. Some parts are hard to find even now (i.e. XC3S200A-4VQG100C FPGA is not being made anymore, the same for M25P40-VMN6PB flash memory). It is possible to find the parts with some digging but I am not sure it will be possible in the coming years.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Paar wrote:I am happy that this project exists and plan to build one adapter on my own. I have tried to locate all parts necessary and I have to say that it would be nice to have it more future proof. Some parts are hard to find even now (i.e. XC3S200A-4VQG100C FPGA is not being made anymore, the same for M25P40-VMN6PB flash memory). It is possible to find the parts with some digging but I am not sure it will be possible in the coming years.
XC3S200A-4VQG100C is still active and easy to find :?:

A few pages back I listed a drop in replacement for the flash, its untested but should work. I keep meaning to order some to try.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Paar wrote:(i.e. XC3S200A-4VQG100C FPGA is not being made anymore
Where did you get that information from? As far as I can tell Xilinx has not published a discontinuation note for that chip family yet, except for the bare-die version.
It is possible to find the parts with some digging but I am not sure it will be possible in the coming years.
Digikey still has around 1500 of them in stock at the time of this writing, if you don't mind chips that are faster and/or rated for a larger temperature range.

But if it is really a problem, the code should be synthesizable on a Spartan 6 with little to no changes, though I'm not sure what chip size it would need. It would probably be easy to port it to the 7-series chips or newer too, but I think none of them are available in TQFP packages.
the same for M25P40-VMN6PB flash memory
There are lots of other SPI flash chips from various manufacturers that can be substituted instead.
highzeth

Post by highzeth »

Been a long time lurker, but the GCVideo/HDMI projects nudged me into registering. I started building 3x GCHDMI today, all went smoothly until I was hooking up the FCC cable and discovered I had ordered 18 position cables.. ffs.
I did go with the alternative flash; 1092-1115-ND MX25V4006EM1I-13G (digikey), so will update if it's OK or not when the FCC cables arrive next week.

I'm in awe at what you guys accomplish, much respect.
Paar

Post by Paar »

Regarding the FPGA chip, it seems it's just unavailable in Europe (not discontinued). Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe that's the problem. In US all parts are readily available but not in Europe. Fortunately I have found a Chinese supplier who sells Xilinx chip for reasonable price.

I have tried to use these sites:

http://www.mouser.com
http://farnell.com

Do you have any tips for flash memory replacement?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Paar wrote:Maybe that's the problem. In US all parts are readily available but not in Europe.
Digikey does ship to Europe too. At least for orders sent to Germany there is free shipping for orders above 50 EUR and delivery usually takes about two days for me.
Do you have any tips for flash memory replacement?
Any SPI NOR flash that has the following features:
  • 4 MBit or larger (the bitstream could work with less, but GCVideo uses the last 64K for its configuration)
  • page size 256 bytes
  • accepts command 0x03 for reading (used both by the FPGA and GCVideo, though the FPGA can optionally also use 0x0b or 0xe8 - check the Spartan 3 configuration guide)
  • accepts command 0x05 to read its status register
  • accepts command 0x06 to set the write enable flag
  • accepts command 0x02 to program a page
  • accepts command 0xd8 to erase a 64KB sector
  • accepts command 0xab to read a device signature
  • accepts command 0x9f to read a JEDEC ID
...which looks like a lot, but works for many SPI flashes on the market, e.g. MX25L4006, LE25U40, IS25LQ040, AT25SF041 or W25X40 (only spot-checked based on their datasheets). There are some "weird" chips on the market that do not match these requirements though, for example the AT45 series formerly by Atmel.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

GCVideo-DVI version 2.4 is released

Note: Binaries have been moved out of the repository itself for size reasons.

New features:
  • can use dual outputs (e.g. DVI+analog) from the same FPGA on boards that have the hardware to support it
  • brightness/contrast/saturation controls in the OSD
I hope I didn't break anything in the Wii versions, I currently cannot test them.

Thanks to citrus3000psi for testing prereleases and finding a few bugs in them.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Unseen wrote:GCVideo-DVI version 2.4 is released

New features:
  • can use dual outputs (e.g. DVI+analog) from the same FPGA on boards that have the hardware to support it
I hope I didn't break anything in the Wii versions, I currently cannot test them.

Awesome :D

I'll test the Wii tonight (HDMI only). I have a board hooked up that I can easily flash.
Paar

Post by Paar »

Unseen wrote:Digikey does ship to Europe too. At least for orders sent to Germany there is free shipping for orders above 50 EUR and delivery usually takes about two days for me.
I have checked and I would have to make an order for 100USD. That's a little too much. I will just find the parts elsewhere.

By the way thanks for the flash memory suggestions. I will look into that.

Regarding the new version it's great that you're still working on it. Are there any other features that you would like to implement in the future?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Paar wrote:Are there any other features that you would like to implement in the future?
I currently have no plans for additional features.
Spidex761

Post by Spidex761 »

Awesome update thanks Unseen! Does this 2.4 work with citrus3000psi's open source plug n play? Or we still have to use the modified 2.3 one he linked?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Spidex761 wrote:Awesome update thanks Unseen! Does this 2.4 work with citrus3000psi's open source plug n play? Or we still have to use the modified 2.3 one he linked?
I don't know, I wasn't told anything ybout that.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Spidex761 wrote:Awesome update thanks Unseen! Does this 2.4 work with citrus3000psi's open source plug n play? Or we still have to use the modified 2.3 one he linked?
2.4 will work with some minor pin def changes. I can compile new binaries if necessary.
Unseen wrote:I don't know, I wasn't told anything ybout that.
I just didn't want to bug you with another design with different pin defs :? If you want to add it to your makefile let me know and I'll send you the pindef.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

juji82

Post by juji82 »

Excellent! Any news about the release?
citrus3000psi wrote:Image
leonk

Post by leonk »

Unseen wrote:GCVideo-DVI version 2.4 is released

New features:

Can you provide more details on RGB out? Does Pluto IIx board support it?? what pins?
hernan43

Post by hernan43 »

Has anyone tried flashing one of the Pluto II boards? What is the process like and is it difficult?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

leonk wrote:Can you provide more details on RGB out? Does Pluto IIx board support it?? what pins?
Pluto IIx hardware doesn't support it as there is no onboard DAC.
juji82 wrote:Excellent! Any news about the release?
Right now, GCDual is finalized. I have boards on the way that hopefully be the last prototypes I buy for the gamecube. :D

The Wii, I'm unhappy with the QSB. I'm going to go back to a BGA design for the data signals, with an option to solder wires as well. Most time spent is waiting for prototype boards to come in.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I edited the earlier post but here is GCVideo 2.4 for GCPlug. I haven't tested it, but I don't foresee any issues.

https://mega.nz/#!KkFzVZDR!9BzNtZh5WE8M ... pNNfrDG9YY
leonk

Post by leonk »

I reprogrammed a Pluto IIx board today with 2.4 and did a new install in a GC. Works great. Not sure if the 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade is worth it for existing users (just for adjusting picture settings)
juji82

Post by juji82 »

citrus3000psi wrote: The Wii, I'm unhappy with the QSB. I'm going to go back to a BGA design for the data signals, with an option to solder wires as well. Most time spent is waiting for prototype boards to come in.
:( well, keep it up, great job! looking forward for the final design then :)
Spidex761

Post by Spidex761 »

Hey citrus so it looks like on thingaverse collingall made a revision to the plug with "dimples" to interact with the clips on the digital port. Just wondering if you tried it and if it's better than the design without it?
Collingall

Post by Collingall »

Spidex761 wrote:Hey citrus so it looks like on thingaverse collingall made a revision to the plug with "dimples" to interact with the clips on the digital port. Just wondering if you tried it and if it's better than the design without it?
So far no one has tested that, someone made a request for the change, and I uploaded it as a at your own risk sort of thing. I should get one to test from Shapeways in another week or so.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

The WiiDual QSB for the gamecube fits well. I have main boards PCB's in hand as well. Just waiting on xilinx chips to arrive.

andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Looks really neat..
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

Bunch of miscommunications with the library delayed things, but I finally got a print of Collingall's connector. I was a little skeptical of the library's print quality due to the texture of the fill being visible on the top and bottom, but after playing around with it a bit I'm reasonably confident it shouldn't have issues with durability. The fine details came through perfectly well, and I shouldn't have any trouble inserting the pins.

I should be getting a PCI extension within the next few days to cannibalize for pins to complete the connector. After that, it's a question of getting a GCDual board put together; definitely looking forward to seeing the final design. I think a number of us may be even more excited for those Xilinx chips to arrive than citrus3000psi!

One question: I know it's primarily aimed as an internal mod, but is GCDual going to include any capacity for control without the connection to the GameCube controller line (e.g., the IR remote support offered on GCPlug)?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

There are pads in the corner of the board you can solder the ir hardware to.
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

citrus3000psi wrote:There are pads in the corner of the board you can solder the ir hardware to.
Great, thanks!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Here is a little road map for me. I've made one more change to the Dual Board over the weekend, minor stuff.

I plan to make as many of these as people want. Price for a kit will be around 120 and installed 150. I'm designing a Jig that will allow me test each board. This was my hurdle with selling these as kits and hopefully solved. This is assuming this jig works well. If not I will redesign the board in some other way to be able to test it. I will assemble these in small batches of 25 using a reflow oven. If the demand is higher than way I can produce at home, I will look into PCB assembly.

https://i.imgur.com/8kLw2s3l.png

I will also be releasing my design files as well. So if you want to build your own then great 8)

Time frame so far looks like:
Waiting for final prototypes, confirm is good (2 weeks)
Purchase final boards, 25-50 (2-3 weeks)
Assemble-Program-Test (2 weeks)

So hopefully in 1.5 months I will be shipping out boards.

All this is subject to change. But just wanted to let people know whats going on and what my plan is.
In the down time I will also continue my work on the Wii. Waiting on my new QSB currently.