Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Drachenherz

Re: Shmupmame 4: Dodonpachi 2 Bee Storm, Batsugun, V-five

Post by Drachenherz »

Aaaaah, Thank you so much nimitz, have to try this tonight.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Wow, didn't expect v4 to happen at all!

Unfortunately using D3D with this seems to spit an error. I compiled MESS a few days ago straight from source and it rendered D3D just fine. Any idea what the go is?
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Many thanks for the update! I'll also try this. I'll be moving over from 2.2, which has served me well till now...

Any chance of a comprehensive list of the shmups that are emulated in this? I tend to grab individual roms rather than entire packs.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

Great stuff. I spotted Ketsui Arrange and DoDonPachi Arrange in the supported roms, so I've just been playing those. Cleared the first loop of DDP Arrange on my first try :-)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm getting errors trying to run in Direct3D mode also.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

The D3D thing happens here too but other than that this seems really good. It combines all the good features of the previous versions so I might actually be able to do everything with one Mame!

Thanks for this.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Udderdude wrote:I'm getting errors trying to run in Direct3D mode also.
Same here. Even if I select a different video output method, it just says "Unable to initialise Direct3D". Perhaps my (fairly bog-standard, fairly old) laptop just isn't up to running this version...

Thanks again all the same, nimitz! You do fantastic work, and it's greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

In the GUI version, I got it working switching the pulldown box from direct3d to direct draw.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Got problems here to. First it's really slow to start, feels like forever, but that can be my pc sucking to. And when I start a game it just crash.
I changed like Jeneki said to directdraw but the image get all blured and ugly when I use that setting. I used v.2.2 and it lags for me in a strange way, never happend when I used v.3 but since I upgraded to Windows 7 Shmupmame 3 dont work anymore.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

So I guess the direct3d problem wasnt just my box. Pulling out the version until I figure it out.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Take two, everything should work now.

I won't bother changing the version number since only ~80 people had downloaded it. Just download again to get the working version.
MEDIEVAL_MIKU

Post by MEDIEVAL_MIKU »

Thank you for your hard work. It's cool that you added support for Dodonpachi Arrange and Ketsui Arrange, but I would like to also see the Mr. Stoic versions of Ketsui up there too. :mrgreen:
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

If DOJ runs at full speed on this verison of shmupmame I will be back to using this. Trying it out tonight and hopefully I get full speed. last version I didn't get full speed, but with MAMEUI64 I got full speed. strange, but I want to be able to use this fine piece of work.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'm still getting the same error message, regardless of which video output method I select in the "advanced" bit. I guess my problem's definitely at my end. :(
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDexWard

Post by CDexWard »

I never tried Shmupmame but now I might.
One general question regarding MAME: Is there any way to delete all roms that are NOT listed as a certain genre like 'shooting / vertical'? The entire set is eating up way too much space and it is an insane amount of work to just cut and paste all the shmups from the entire set.
azinth

Post by azinth »

this is fucking amazing

thank you
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Oh hey look it's the legendary perfect mame.

Thanks nimitz. :D
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

If Psikyo .inps don't desync I'll be in debt to you for life. This is THE MAME, thanks.
Ed Oscuro

Re: Shmupmame Lagless Edition official release

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Giving this a shot right now (GUI version, not commandline). First impression is that it's a nice and tidy install - no two executables garbage, no horde of useless folders (6 is the lowest number I've seen in memory), just the basics. Probably no out-of-place Megaman portrait, either!

On the other hand the use of an out-of-date (well, apparently there have been some refinements to it lately, judging from EMUcr builds) MAME Plus version is a mixed bag. There is a fair amount of ritual tweaking to get the GUI interface relatively quick again (try dragging columns or removing folders to see what I mean; it's a main negative of this type of MAME Plus), and initial startup is somewhat slow (I can't compare with old versions now because I have an SSD speeding things along). Removing all but five folders, and five columns, causes things to be pretty responsive again. On the other hand, the newer "MAME Plus" releases from similar familes have lost some support for two great features - the play count / play time indicators, while this release retains it. It also has on-the-fly update of search results without pressing Enter, which I don't recall being in previous versions (or maybe it was slower on older hardware).

So, just from a very cursory look at the front end, it looks pretty good so far. Of course the big changes are all under the hood, but I thought I'd list this out for comment or reflection.
Last edited by Ed Oscuro on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Lagless crash in Win7 when I load any ROM. I'm probably doing it wrong. :(

Edit: My budget laptop of the year 2010 couldn't handle Direct3D version 9. Works when set to 8. :)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Garegga seems very smooth! Type II Garegga over "Regular" EmuCR-MAMEPlus-r5054-x64 doesn't seem unplayable but slightly less responsive, enough to make the difference between quick directional switchbacks and slightly more floaty / longer ones.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Klatrymadon wrote:I'm still getting the same error message, regardless of which video output method I select in the "advanced" bit. I guess my problem's definitely at my end. :(
This is probably a case of you having to update DirectX
Ed Oscuro wrote:Garegga seems very smooth! Type II Garegga over "Regular" EmuCR-MAMEPlus-r5054-x64 doesn't seem unplayable but slightly less responsive, enough to make the difference between quick directional switchbacks and slightly more floaty / longer ones.
Yeah, garegga is one frame more responsive in Shmupmame 4, Batrider and Bakraid on the other hand I will have to port my 3.0 fix.

Ed: Thanks for the tip of removing extra folders to speed up loading time, I didn't know about that.

Edit: It takes some messing around and rom renaming to get Planet Probe to work and since the game is not Copyrighted to any company I think it's pretty much ok to share it here.

Planet Probe
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I'm not noticing a difference in Garegga. If there is one, than v3.0b is an improvement still, because I'm counting 2 frames in v3.0b (first frame being the frame where I press the button) versus 3/4 frames in v4.

EDIT: I'm also still having Direct3D issues. Command-line version won't work at all, UI version works the first time and then carks it when I run a new game. Using DirectDraw it works fine. Standard MAME Plus! 0.148 for the record worked fine with Direct3D.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

great stuff thanks - Imma wipe the dust off my Qanba for this ;)
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

This is probably a case of you having to update DirectX
Alas, I tried that - it said I had the latest version. Looking into other options at the moment, although uninstalling/reinstalling it seem to be a matter of reinstalling Windows. (Worth a try?)
CDexWard

Post by CDexWard »

Same problem here, even with up to date Direct X. :|
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

It seems there is still a problem with Direct3D 9, it might seems like it is the same problem but it's a actually a different one.

the current bug says "Unable to create the Direct3D device (8876086C)"

Also this "new" bug only happens in fullscreen mode, so running in windowed mode will let you use D3D 9, I'm seeing quite a few reports on this specific bug over the web.

I'm investigating..

Edit: Apparently turning ON hlsl (use -createconfig and set hlsl 1) fixes the problem too...
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

will the next shmupmame version support SH3? will someone, some day continue to develop a good SH3 emulation?

I can only have hope...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

O. Van Bruce wrote:will the next shmupmame version support SH3? will someone, some day continue to develop a good SH3 emulation?

I can only have hope...
http://shmupmame.wordpress.com/2011/11/ ... ka-cv1000/
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Turns out the D3D 9 bug is mameplus related, currently pondering if I will make a vanilla mame version with the autofire + custom buttons inlcluded or try to figure out whats wrong with mameplus.

CV1000 is still being worked on. Some of the games now have pretty much accurate slowdown (thanks to trap15)

Might start phasing in some of the older sets in once the games are old enough.