The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
EmperorIng

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by EmperorIng »

Watching Squire's exploits made me shelve the Saturn and hook up the Genesis once more! After more practice in Hard Corps, I decided to be less hard on myself and get back into Landstalker. In a choice between two of the best Genesis games, I couldn't really lose, honestly.

I only just discovered, 10 hours into the game, that you could warp though. :oops:
GSK wrote:Some dude arranged an Hagane tune with the Revenge soundfont... man, that Revenge drum sample gets me going every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLocDERPIc
I believe that 'dude' is actually GeckoYamori. The other tracks sound similar to his arrangement style. Still bummed about him closing his channel. I'm glad to see him doing a Hagane remix. Or any remixes in general, honestly!

My sega chiptunes* can't hope to compete.

*shameless plug
GSK

Post by GSK »

Yeah, that's definitely him. I don't follow the VGM scene closely so I have no idea who's names are and aren't worth mentioning, my bad.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ha ha, no sweat. I used to be far more into the music scene than I am today. He was probably the cream of the crop Genesis remixer: his Axelay, Mega Man X, and NES YM2612 remixes were legendary for their quality.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Wow, that Hagane remix is really something else! Very enjoyable. Just loaded up the original for a point of comparison. The vocal-like melody parts sounds better in the original, IMO, but the drums!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Gecko Yamori, oh man...
Thanks to him i discovered OCRemix, back in 2002. He had an awesome KOF 96 remix of Athena's theme:
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00780
It's been more than 10 years already...
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hey hey, we have a seperate thread for VG music!
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Captain wrote:Hey hey, we have a seperate thread for VG music!
Apologies, Captain! :mrgreen:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Gave my first real crack at Adventures of Batman and Robin yesterday.

Firstly, good LORD this game has style. Stages themselves are nothing wonderful, but the boss fights are intense. dodging Harley's bombs while a vector crane arm is swinging back and forth, the giant battleship fight with Two-Face descending a helicopter ladder to toss dynamite... so much happening on the screen. And the soundtrack :shock: Burrows into my brain in a similar fashion to BK3 (though less jarring).

Game is fuckin hard though. Not so much in the boss fights, but the constant enemy swarms can be tough to handle without taking too much damage. Each enemy itself is not too threatening, but once a couple shooters find their way on the screen, along with a dynamite-tossing brute and some purple clowns with an affinity for sliding, it can be hard to manage.

Made it to the giant Cheshire Cat battle in the Hatter stage before having to call it a night. Seriously was in shock when I finally saw a "Stage 2" splash screen after, what, 4 bosses and probably a hundred enemies?

Only real downside I can see so far is that some enemy formations/patterns are repeated a little too often, making the stages drag on a little longer than necessary. Which isn't to say that things don't pick up throughout each individual stage, but the pacing at which it happens could have used some tuning. Still, really enjoying this one, far better than I had imagined it would be.
Captain

Post by Captain »

It reminds me of gunstar heroes alot.

With worse weapons but much harder gameplay.
Image Image
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, no homing+lightning win-button in B&R :lol:

What weapon do you usually use? I've been switching between red and green, but it seems sticking with one (and not dying) would be the best bet, as some sections are very rough once power is lost.
Captain

Post by Captain »

blue for rush segments and green for bosses.
Image Image
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

That game is an incredible visual effects fest. Too bad it's such a pain to play.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
GSK

Post by GSK »

Batman & Robin is such a goddamn drag. I'm telling you now, look up the level skip code and start using it the moment you hit an autoscroller/hori stage, those things are tedious beyond belief.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

Adventures of Batman & Robin is fantastic, game gets less tedious once you don't loose lives and stick to the leveled up green weapon. Gameplay and level design aren't exceptional, but the overall presentation with its sound design are. One of my absolute favourites. At the Mad Hatter boss, when the screen scrolls into the 3rd dimension and that music starts...
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

What am I missing? I grouped games that have multiple games on the MD at the bottom. For STG, it's not a complete list, but the ones people suggest trying.

STG (37):

Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer
Aero Blasters (aka Air Buster)
Arrow Flash
Battlemania (aka Trouble Shooter)
Battlemania Daiginjou
Burning Force
Crying (aka Bio Hazard Battle)
Daisenpuu
Darius II
Elemental Master
Eliminate Down
Gaiares
Granada
Gynoug
Hellfire
Insector X
Koutetsu Teikoku (aka Steel Empire)
Kyuukyoku Tiger
Musha Aleste
Panorama Cotton
Phelios
Same! Same! Same! (aka Fireshark)
Slap Fight MD
Sol-Deace
Space Harrier II
Space Invaders 90
Sub-Terrania
Tatsujin (aka Truxton)
Thunder Force II
Thunder Force III
Thunder Force IV
Twinkle Tale
Undead Line
V·V (aka Grind Stormer)
Verytex
Whip Rush
Zero Wing

Stand-Alone (54):

Adventures of Batman & Robin
After Burner II
Alien 3
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Alladin
Animaniacs
Assault Suit Leynos
California Games
Chelnov
Contra: The Hard Corps
Comix Zone
Daimakaimura (aka Ghouls’n Ghosts)
Devil Crash MD
Dynamite Headdy
E-Swat
El Viento
Ex-Ranza (aka Ranger X)
Flashback
Forgotten Worlds
Gain Ground
Gauntlet IV
Gunstar Heroes
Ghostbusters
Herzog Zwei
Jewel Master
Kid Chameleon
Kujaku Ou 2: Geneijou (aka Mystic Defender)
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken (aka DeCap Attack)
Mamono Hunter Yohko
Marvel Land
McDonald’s Treasure Land Adventure
Mega Bomberman
Mega Turrican
Midnight Resistance
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
OutRun
Pier Solar
Pulseman
QuackShot
Ristar
Roadblasters
Rockman - Mega World
Senjou no Ookami II (aka Mercs)
Shadowrun
Snow Bros.
Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
Strider Hiryuu
Super Hang-On
Trampoline Terror
Vampire Killer
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

Series (40):

Bare Knuckle
Bare Knuckle 2
Bare Knuckle 3

Castle of Illusion
World of Illusion

Desert Strike
Jungle Strike

Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco the Dolphin II

Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III

Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV

Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3

Rocket Knight Adventure
Sparkster

Rolling Thunder 2
Rolling Thunder 3

Shadow Dancer
Super Shinobi
Super Shinobi 2

Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force II

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles

Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3

ToeJam & Earl
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Wonder Boy V: Monster World III
Monster World IV
Last edited by cicada88 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:02 am, edited 25 times in total.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^ I've been messing around with Devil Hunter Yohko. Actually enjoying it a fair bit, but it's pretty rough around the edges and I'm skeptical if it'll maintain the pace in later stages.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:^^^ I've been messing around with Devil Hunter Yohko. Actually enjoying it a fair bit, but it's pretty rough around the edges and I'm skeptical if it'll maintain the pace in later stages.
Been meaning to try this one too, added to the list.

Also added Phelios and Marvel Land
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

@cicada88: Great list there. Have you tried Kid Chameleon? Very fun and challenging platformer.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Ruldra wrote:@cicada88: Great list there. Have you tried Kid Chameleon? Very fun and challenging platformer.
Well, it's compiled mostly from this thread, the MD shmups thread, and some random from memory. I am just trying to fill my Everdrive up with everything worthwhile.

Im giving leniency for STG and for at least decent sequels of good games.

Added Kid Chameleon as I know many players mention this.

Which reminds me--are the Earthworm Jim games worthy?
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

If you're trying to complete the game, Kid Chameleon is unplayable without savestates, as it's far too long and tiresome to be finished in one sitting and doesn't have a save battery or password system.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Jewel Master ahould definitely be on your list. It's a really fun Castlevania/Rastan-ish affair.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Really solid lists, not much I'd add barring a few outlying favourites:

Verytex isn't an exceptionally good shooter by any means (rather nondescript Compile-esque), but it's totally solid and thus worth playing for the immensely good Sakimoto/Iwata soundtrack. Likewise Midnight Resistance isn't quite a standout run and gun, but give it a go for their thundering, arcade-murdering arranged BGM.

Seconding Jewel Master, it's a great simpler action sidescroller with neat weapon customisation allowing for both melee and projectile action. Kujaku Oh II is very similar (I'm sure some personnel were shared) - nothing outstandingly unique, but a rock solid sidescrolling action/platformer with one of the best videogame flamethrowers ever.

Drainpipe foetuses must burn! Motherfucker!

Alisia Dragoon has a lot of neat features going for it, but its controls are rather clunky for the amount of fast bullets it throws out... you'll need to memorise quite a bit in its trickier spots. If you're okay with that it's one to try. Awesome offensive suite with the main weapon and familiars, and on Hard you genuinely need to exploit them to get anywhere. It's a rather expensive game for what it is but I like it a lot.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

What am I missing?
Listen up and listen good.

shooters:
Daisenpuu if you like Same! Same! Same! It's the sniper tank shump.
Whip Rush -- when I say listen up, I'm saying listen to me. Whip Rush gets lumped in with the likes of Arrow Flash (boring), but it is the long lost twin of Thunder Force III. Thunder Force III is a little overrated, but it's still TFIII.

Burning Force
El Viento
Landstalker
Ragnacenty/Crusader of Centy -- ALTTP rip-off
Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis
Trampoline Terror! -- the least heralded good game on the Genesis.
If you're trying to complete the game, Kid Chameleon is unplayable without savestates,
Lying is a sin. Use the warp trick. Kid Chameleon is Gen top 5 in its natural form.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Pretas wrote:If you're trying to complete the game, Kid Chameleon is unplayable without savestates, as it's far too long and tiresome to be finished in one sitting and doesn't have a save battery or password system.
I've done it in one sitting, an average run takes about 2 hours. Just keep at it and you'll get farther and farther with each playthrough, eventually you'll make it to the end. Overall you'll spend as much time as you would learning an arcade game.

E: Ah yes, you can use the warp to skip a good chunk of the game if you wish.
Last edited by Ruldra on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, how'd I mention Alisia Dragoon but forget El Viento? It's a virtual opposite. Rather ugly and goofy but plays nice and snappy. There are definitely a few rather suspect bits where the Euroshumptastic lifebar makes tanking through bullets a good idea (would've been so much cooler as a mecha game...), but overall it holds together well enough to support the fun weapons and crouch dashing. Try crouchdashing after a fully charged Wind spell while it mows everything down, fuckin thing pwns.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Reminds me of Mystic Defender, a pretty nice game in its own right, you actually get a weapon like this.

Also, are you implying Alisia has bad gameplay? Sir, that game is one of the finest ones for the console!
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mystic Defender is Kujaku Oh II but they made Kujaku put on overalls becos religion ^_~ (or some other dumb shit - maybe upper mgmt thought the kiz wouldn't be down with the robes, tragically given Hammer Pants would soon be all the rage!). They forgot to cover up the nude gal pal at the end though!

Eat flamethrower you fucken cueball! "AIEEE MUH FACE"

Alisia Dragoon is far from bad, but it's very flawed. Plays like an oldschool Castlevania character CTRL+V'd into Contra. With all the fast aimed bullets flying, it needed more air control and no fucking Prince of Persia turnaround lag. Also the first half of the derelict spaceship stage is criminally broken. Learn where the robots are and you won't get shot in the face!
Last edited by BIL on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I kind of like arcade action games that simulate the feel of playing a different kind of character. Alisia Dragoon most immediately strikes me as conveying the idea of the "squishy wizard" in run and gun shooter format. The idea of controlling a character who cannot dodge or rush down foes effectively but instead relies upon careful planning and positioning before dropping a giant magical nuke worth of lightning on everything really smacks of it, I think.

Also "eat flamethrower you fucken cueball!" might be sig worthy.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Great minds Squire. ;-;7

I didn't really get into AD until I started playing as you suggest - to borrow my own tortured analogy, despite the illusion of free air control it's more like Castlevania IV. ...a CV4 with tons of fast bullets flying around. You have to methodically move along, staying in safe spots while letting the main weapon and familiars tear apart enemies. Opening of the battleship stage with its turret array is a perfect example. Improv like Contra and you'll get shot full of holes. Instead let the main weapon and familiars pick 'em off one by one, while you stay out of their firing lines.

90% of the game is agreeable to this, but there's definitely a handful of spots (MFN ruined ship basement) that are just sloppy - on Normal it's just disconcerting, on Hard (which is simply half player health + twice enemy health, IIRC) it's fatal and demands rehearsal.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

I already had Alisia Dragoon on there BIL.

Added Daisenpuu, Whip Rush, Verytex, Jewel Master, El Viento, Kujakuou 2 (Mystic Defender)

*Also added the rest of Rob's picks...thanks