Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by andykara2003 »

gordon-creAtive wrote:Based on what Voultar said in that roundtable I got the impression the "better way" is to use a properly designed plug.
True - but they also said that to print a plug on an even semi-affordable 3D printer takes 1-2 hours per plug so it's not necessarily commercially viable. Not sure where that leaves us..
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

tjstogy wrote:He asked if anyone had any requests for a capture, and like a troll (or just an imbecile), you posted over 2 dozen requests.

You blow up every thread with questions that have either been answered, are completely erroneous, or have no relevance.

So, my question remains: are you a troll, or are you serious (i.e. mentally challenged)?
Hey dipshit

I gave him a list of games that I am merely suggesting. He only needs to test out one or two of them. Preferably a realistic looking game and a stylized game, or a game with bright saturated colors and a game will dull neutral colors. But your stupid ass interprets it as needing to test every title on that list. I do not "blow up" every thread with legitimate questions. Every single question I have in relevant in some fashion.

Why are you so stupid? You can't even quote someone correctly in your posts. The text box goes on top. Your reply goes below.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Like this?
GeneraLight wrote:
tjstogy wrote:He asked if anyone had any requests for a capture, and like a troll (or just an imbecile), you posted over 2 dozen requests.

You blow up every thread with questions that have either been answered, are completely erroneous, or have no relevance.

So, my question remains: are you a troll, or are you serious (i.e. mentally challenged)?
Hey dipshit

I gave him a list of games that I am merely suggesting. He only needs to test out one or two of them. Preferably a realistic looking game and a stylized game, or a game with bright saturated colors and a game will dull neutral colors. But your stupid ass interprets it as needing to test every title on that list. I do not "blow up" every thread with legitimate questions. Every single question I have in relevant in some fashion.

Why are you so stupid? You can't even quote someone correctly in your posts. The text box goes on top. Your reply goes below.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

andykara2003 wrote:
gordon-creAtive wrote:Based on what Voultar said in that roundtable I got the impression the "better way" is to use a properly designed plug.
True - but they also said that to print a plug on an even semi-affordable 3D printer takes 1-2 hours per plug so it's not necessarily commercially viable. Not sure where that leaves us..
For prototyping and low-volume (expensive) or initial runs, 3D Printing will be fine.

That said, I think that the CAD model in the wild means injection molding is now on the table. Initial tooling and such will probably cost a chunk of money, but then high availability becomes possible.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

gordon-creAtive wrote:Based on what Voultar said in that roundtable I got the impression the "better way" is to use a properly designed plug. Also I haven't heard of anyone frying their GC with an official component cable so this may be the solution. However it might also be that case that the official cables don't feed back the 12V into the GameCube when wiggled - in that case proper plug is not sufficient.
12v is not routed back through. Its the case where one pin on the plug n play touches 2 pins on the gamecube. Zeldaxpro connector isn't a good enough fit. It can still easily wiggle left to right and doesn't lock into place. The official component cables don't wiggle.

Zelda's pins are probably also too wide. I don't know what pin size is but they do look a little wide. The 3D printer connector Collingall designed uses PCIE pins which are narrower then the ones zelda is using.

Now Zelda say's he is making a pnp v3. How much you want to bet its Collingall plug :roll:

nmalinoski wrote: For prototyping and low-volume (expensive) or initial runs, 3D Printing will be fine.

That said, I think that the CAD model in the wild means injection molding is now on the table. Initial tooling and such will probably cost a chunk of money, but then high availability becomes possible.
Injection molding is already on the table as that is what GC-VideoX is. Assuming it comes to forwishen.
gordon-creAtive

Post by gordon-creAtive »

citrus3000psi wrote:Its the case where one pin on the plug n play touches 2 pins on the gamecube.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up. But that means it's all about a proper plug.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

citrus3000psi wrote:Injection molding is already on the table as that is what GC-VideoX is. Assuming it comes to forwishen.
Good to know thanks :)
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

GeneraLight wrote: I gave him a list of games that I am merely suggesting. He only needs to test out one or two of them. Preferably a realistic looking game and a stylized game, or a game with bright saturated colors and a game will dull neutral colors. But your stupid ass interprets it as needing to test every title on that list.
Then you probably should've only mentioned one or two games? I mean you posted a giant list without any extra explanation so of course people are going to interpret it that way...
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If you look at the official connector, or the 3D printed ones, or BAC's one, the pins all reside inside of individual slots through which they poke out. The pins can't move left or right because they're held in position.

In the ZeldaXPRO connector, the pins are just on the PCB bare, there is nothing to the left or right of them preventing them from shifting.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Please take your childishness elsewhere, this isn't 4chan or neogaf (is gaf that antagonistic even? Maybe I'm actually thinking of Facepunch).

And yes, you very frequently ask questions that have been answered earlier in a thread, and should read more carefully or search before posting a lot of the time. Relevance isn't the main issue.
GeneraLight wrote:

Hey dipshit

PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Collingall

Post by Collingall »

Guspaz wrote:If you look at the official connector, or the 3D printed ones, or BAC's one, the pins all reside inside of individual slots through which they poke out. The pins can't move left or right because they're held in position.

In the ZeldaXPRO connector, the pins are just on the PCB bare, there is nothing to the left or right of them preventing them from shifting.
The first time I saw his project I figured he was going to kill GameCubes. I spent the better part of a week searching for interchangeable pins to use in a 3d printed connector before settling on PCI pins. The captive pins have nowhere to go.

I am almost certain the 3.0 PnP will be based off my connector. I was approached by someone on Assembler Games with a brand new account asking questions like if it was possible to bend the pins 90° to wire it to a board. So I'm seriously curious as to how he will attach it to a project as the prototype design I released isn't built with a way to attach it to a case.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

I'm not sure how much he thought about the connector from a mechanical standpoint. I'm an aerospace engineer with mostly mechanical background. I don't think his idea is completely wrong, but there is a lot of refinement that could be done that he may just not have the capabilities to carry out.

For example a solution that could meet the tight tolerances to fit in this space would eliminate the wiggle and then for the matter he wouldn't need the large pins to compensate for the fact that the PCB sandwich has some sway in it. You could then 3d print a sleeve that overlays the sandwich and prevents upside down insertion. I don't think hand assembling the PCB sandwich would be able to meet the tolerances I would want to hold a vendor to if they were to make these injection molded connectors anyways.

I have a few ideas about how I would design a solution but I certainly would never try to sell it to someone in large quantities. I'm patient to wait for the BAC solution, but now citrus3000psi has me drooling over his solution.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Please take your childishness elsewhere, this isn't 4chan or neogaf (is gaf that antagonistic even? Maybe I'm actually thinking of Facepunch).
Tell that to tjstogy
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Does anybody have Official component cables that they would let me borrow. I'm legit and will send them back :wink: I just want to match brightness levels.

Send me a PM if you are willing to help.

Thanks
Dan
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

citrus3000psi wrote:Does anybody have Official component cables that they would let me borrow. I'm legit and will send them back :wink: I just want to match brightness levels.

Send me a PM if you are willing to help.

Thanks
Dan
You can borrow mine

Sent you a PM
FBX

Post by FBX »

andykara2003 wrote:
It would just simply leave the situation up to injection molding, and a year's worth of sampling and refinement. At the end of that though, is a product you can mass produce by the thousands and make bank because everyone will jump all over buying the finished product. The current model of using tape and loose pins will only serve a small fraction of the buyer base, and have a large percentage complaining about fried Gamecubes.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I've been messing around with possible options of where to place the hdmi connector and toslink (mini or fullsize).

The design that is currently at the fab house has the placement of the mini HDMI connector sitting directly below A/V flipped 180. This is slightly different from my previous design. The connector is in the same place but it was flipped.

Here is a photoshop mock up of what it will look like:
Spoiler
Now issues that I see with this. They are not really issues for me but might be issues for some other people
-You are not going to be able to plug both Analog and HDMI cables in at the same time clean. If you remove plastic from both A/V cables and HDMI cables they should fit.
-Its upside down. This one bothers me because I want things to look like it came from the factory.

I made an adapter board that would allow the HDMI connector to be flipped but I feel I'm making things complicated just for the sake of if.

Thoughts?
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

It looks very neat - and neither issue wouldn't bother me at all.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Consider that your Wii in that photos is rotated 90 degrees from the intended orientation, the HDMI port isn't really upside down. Is there any official orientation when and HDMI port is vertical instead of horizontal?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Guspaz wrote:Consider that your Wii in that photos is rotated 90 degrees from the intended orientation, the HDMI port isn't really upside down. Is there any official orientation when and HDMI port is vertical instead of horizontal?
The Wii is setup to lay vertical or horizontal, as there are rubber pads on two edges of the console.
Spoiler
The PSTV and 360's HDMI are opposite when in the vertical position. So either there is no official stance or companies don't care.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Yes, but all the original marketing (at least at launch) had the Wii vertical on its stand, which is also how I've always had my Wii.

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry about the orientation of the HDMI socket ;)
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Guspaz wrote:Yes, but all the original marketing (at least at launch) had the Wii vertical on its stand, which is also how I've always had my Wii.

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry about the orientation of the HDMI socket ;)
I know its not a big deal, but I'm anal about shit :roll:

This might answer your original question though...

Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:-Its upside down. This one bothers me because I want things to look like it came from the factory.
Intel has designed some of its NUCs that way, so IMHO it would qualify as "factory look":

Or maybe you can source reverse-mount Mini-HDMI connectors somewhere?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Unseen wrote: Intel has designed some of its NUCs that way, so IMHO it would qualify as "factory look":

Or maybe you can source reverse-mount Mini-HDMI connectors somewhere?
I have not seen any reverse mount hdmi connectors from what I've seen.

That NUC is interesting. Looks like all those I/O components are vertical mounted.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If it makes you feel better Citrus, here's an official Nintendo product with the port upside-down.

PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

:lol:
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

bobrocks95 wrote:If it makes you feel better Citrus, here's an official Nintendo product with the port upside-down.
Well that makes me feel better. :wink:

I won't worry about it then. I should get the new qsb today. Hopefully I will be able to show it off :wink:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

citrus3000psi wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:If it makes you feel better Citrus, here's an official Nintendo product with the port upside-down.
Well that makes me feel better. :wink:

I won't worry about it then. I should get the new qsb today. Hopefully I will be able to show it off :wink:
I dunno about the others, but I'd prefer my HDMI ports in the "official" position, some of my HDMI cables are quite stiff and they can be a pain to twist to accomdate with an HDMI ports that's "upside down".
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

It'll be a mini-HDMI port, so you'll have to buy a new cable anyway. I believe I've read that light, slim cables are preferred so that strain on the connector is minimized, since HDMI connectors aren't very mechanically robust and being digital don't really call for super thick shielded cables.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Clearly you've never seen a passive 40+ foot long HDMI cable, they're as thick as garden hoses :)