ebay (and other) auctions with insane prices

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ed Oscuro

Re: ebay (and other) auctions with insane prices

Post by Ed Oscuro »

drauch

Post by drauch »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Xtreem Monsters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321664095739
Hoooooly shiet! Makes me kinda want to sell mine, but this is like a Sophie's Choice sorta situation. Too precious.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

man, sonic has really shot up in price lately.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonic-The-Hed ... 3aa4f604b8
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

eBay is like cancer, or a 'welcome cancer cell-people' platform.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gentlemen, prepare your salty snacks and cold beverages. Aero Fighters 3... flies again.

Last edited by BIL on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Immryr wrote:man, sonic has really shot up in price lately.

If you're reading this, auction guy, you're a dick.
system11

Post by system11 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Immryr wrote:man, sonic has really shot up in price lately.

If you're reading this, auction guy, you're a dick.
I don't understand what he's trying to achieve, it's going to cost listing fees and nobody will ever buy it.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's obvious, tons of people make it a business to have prices skyrocket on eBay and sell copies there or via other channels.
Think about it, how many CIB games like that do one needs to sell a year for a living ?
Let only a few units sell at out-of-this-world prices and this will become the 'going' price for many idiots on Earth.
And idiots rule.
You don't believe VGA don't sell any games do you ?
system11

Post by system11 »

It's Sonic The Hedgehog, you can't play markets when millions of a title were made.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I wouldn't be so sure, the guys who do that sort of stuff are making a bet on extreme ignorance and abysmal stupidity.
Zelda games are out there by the millions too, and look at the CIB prices...

Okay this precise seller must be either hallucinating or just a poorly-skilled crook, but with a few intelligent sales at exaggerated prices you can make a common but popular game's price explode in a matter of 2~3 years.
I'd bet it can work with Sonic. Yup. I've seen very inflated prices in stores recently for very common games I would have imagined remaining dirt cheap forever.

This is kind of the ultimate battle for retrogaming businesses: make every bit of retro shit expensive, really expensive.
rancor

Post by rancor »

I've got a mountain of loose GB Tetris carts... Waiting for my day to come. :wink:

system11

Post by system11 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UOPOCO-FULLKIT- ... 1250799574

STV as usual. $1400 for Uo Poko, he probably paid 14k yen for it.
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Took this screencap a few months ago:
Spoiler
goddamn exchange rate
drauch

Post by drauch »

401 watching! Better jump on that fast!
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

apatheticTurd wrote:Took this screencap a few months ago:
Spoiler
goddamn exchange rate
What the fuck... :lol:
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

system11 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/UOPOCO-FULLKIT- ... 1250799574

STV as usual. $1400 for Uo Poko, he probably paid 14k yen for it.
But he has the cat covers... :wink:
Xyga wrote:This is kind of the ultimate battle for retrogaming businesses: make every bit of retro shit expensive, really expensive.
Very hard to find anything retro reasonably priced around here, because shops price their stuff around eBay's average BINs, the unsold ones.

Everything is pushing new heights, it seems. Sega as a whole is trailing a bit, but once people start picking up games here and there prices will go through the roof. :(
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
drauch

Post by drauch »

KindGrind wrote:Very hard to find anything retro reasonably priced around here, because shops price their stuff around eBay's average BINs, the unsold ones.
I hate this mentality so much. If it's on there, then it sells! "It sells for $13,000 on Amazon and $900 on eBay!" All the shops around my town do it as well and it's so infuriating. I've basically given up because it's such a time waster to actually go out and look, just to end up disappointed and mad and with hours down the drain since everyone is so (not) ebay savvy now. Even flea market shit is through the roof, usually higher than sold ebay auctions. But again, then there's the crowd of idiots that do pay these stupid prices locally that keep this shit higher and higher that still haven't figured out how to use that darned blasted internet!
Last edited by drauch on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Buy flashcarts, emulate, and fuck everything.

^ This is my new purchasing policy. Retro's dead for me so I keep my money for new stuff.

I'll keep my current collection another few years until it's worth a penthouse on Central Park and auction the shit out of it HAHAHAHA.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Xyga wrote:Buy flashcarts, emulate, and fuck everything.

^ This is my new purchasing policy. Retro's dead for me so I keep my money for new stuff.

I'll keep my current collection another few years until it's worth a penthouse on Central Park and auction the shit out of it HAHAHAHA.
Agree. Save your dollar votes for new/reissues stuff that needs the support. I feel almost obligated to support every M2 release and things like Recca on the Virtual Console and Cave on iOS (lot of good that did ;/).

That said if you buy quality not quantity and at least put a little bit of an effort haggling or searching out deals, it's hard to lose much more than opportunity cost.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

drauch wrote:
KindGrind wrote:Very hard to find anything retro reasonably priced around here, because shops price their stuff around eBay's average BINs, the unsold ones.
I hate this mentality so much. If it's on there, then it sells! "It sells for $13,000 on Amazon and $900 on eBay!" All the shops around my town do it as well and it's so infuriating. I've basically given up because it's such a time waster to actually go out and look, just to end up disappointed and mad and with hours down the drain since everyone is so (not) ebay savvy now. Even flea market shit is through the roof, usually higher than sold ebay auctions. But again, then there's the crowd of idiots that do pay these stupid prices locally that keep this shit higher and higher that still haven't figured out how to use that darned blasted internet!
This is starting to happen where I live too, I recently saw a local shop, that normally had ok prices, go nuts and jump everything up 20% or so in price. Now everything in there has got Ebay BIN prices... I asked the owner why and he says he thinks he can get it. Sadly... he's probably right. There isn't a single CIB Snes game in his store now for less that $100, even shovelware and sports titles. Ridiculous.
Xyga wrote:Buy flashcarts, emulate, and fuck everything.

Been thinking of doing this for all my Cartridge based systems for a while. Just not sure I want to let go of some of my more prized CIB Mint items. But... bleh, I could probably bank a couple thousand dollars doing it...
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm glad I didn't get bit by the CIB cartridge bug any later than I did. Even to a relative latecomer things are a barrel of dicks. Spreading to the NTSCJ side of things too.
Xyga wrote:I'll keep my current collection another few years until it's worth a penthouse on Central Park and auction the shit out of it HAHAHAHA.
I hope it all comes crashing down like a motherfucker. :3 (edit: erm, the market, not your penthouse!)

Partially at the thought of a Neo AES-style shitshow with sleazy "big tymers" and organised high-end bootlegging emerging ("Hey guys my uncle at Nintendo had all deeze NOS R@REZ in his storage unit, wow! pls buy them, I has family").
Last edited by BIL on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

The most painful thing about this is that rare games still get snatched up in minutes when they land in these stores.

Because the sell prices are horrendous, people turn in lots of shit games for decent prices, then make away with the RAREZ.

A store in town gave me 25$ trade-in for my loose Super Mario Bros 3. How the fuck much are you going to sell it at, and who is going to buy?
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
TJB

Post by TJB »

Since when did old broadcast monitors in Australia get so expensive.

Not too long ago I remember seeing an XM29 go for about $50 AUD which is the equivalent of a packet of noodles in America (exchange rate woes as usual)

There was a 29" unit pop up on ebay last week and cosmetically speaking it looked...well... new-ish. Sometimes work is a bit daft, so get curious about how much certain items sell for, 29" PVM's don't pop up often so hey, lets see how much it gets snatched up for.

It sold for $506. Surely I'm missing something here.

I cannot comprehend it. I got a PVM in the closet I'm taking that bitch to the bank.
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

Namco JAMMA -> JVS converters are getting pricier :shock: I was looking for one or two before I sold both my NNC's and I thought GFront was expensive asking 12k. http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/195626779
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Gotta agree with all you guys here. Ebay has done way more harm than good when it comes to retro gaming. Everybody from the people on craigslist, to the people in the flea markets, and even in the yard sales of all places go by the bin price. And whats worst is that a lot of these people wont even bother with any reasonable offers i make them. Even after i point out to them that ebay takes a 10% fee, paypal a 2% fee, the cost of shipping,the fact that i will travel to their place, and that cash is king, they still wont budge.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

now i dont feel as bad for paying $500 dollars for my nec xp37 plus.
the guy sold it for $100 but the shipping and packaging cost me $400 :(
undamned

Post by undamned »

People need to remember when haggling with in-person resellers who base their pricing on ebay to tell the seller they would lose 20% of that to ebay seller fees and PayPal fees. Game X sold for $100? I'll give you $80 and you don't have to worry about PayPal chargebacks and "buyer protection."
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

This happens mainly because clever greedy bastards use the internet and read forums.

We all know specialized communities are being watched, and should keep their mouths shut to avoid attracting attention on valuable stuff.

Let's go full stealth. :P
aoiddr

Post by aoiddr »

tacoguy64 wrote: Everybody from the people on craigslist, to the people in the flea markets, and even in the yard sales of all places go by the bin price.
Don't forget about Goodwill stores.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Majesco-Sega-Ga ... 1829232853
majesco game gear, price awesum
screen detail like dead possum

...these actually show up on eBay all the time.