ebay (and other) auctions with insane prices

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: ebay (and other) auctions with insane prices

Post by BIL »

Stupid seals, gettin all the money! :[

Coincidentally, received a "sealed" ROKKUMAN X2 this morning, though of course it was just the usual seller-applied foldy plastic for protective purposes (listed condition was "very good," or "EYE-WATERINGLY MINTY L@@K" by non-JP standard*). Always appreciated this gesture when buying vintage gaming cardboard.

* "very good" Ninja Gaiden III NES that went under grandma's rocking chair a few times - yo! I ain't picky and a little dog-earing can add character but that ain't VG! It was clearly rescued from under grandma's rocking chair!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Brand new and sealed! See photo for details!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BulletMagnet wrote:Brand new and sealed! See photo for details!
So when I saw that unfamiliar word "Taikenban" I immediately put it into Google.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

BulletMagnet wrote:Brand new and sealed! See photo for details!
"Never opened... Before I sealed it"
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ed Oscuro wrote:So when I saw that unfamiliar word "Taikenban" I immediately put it into Google.
Hmm, was that there when I first saw it? Musta overlooked it...
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Ed Oscuro wrote:My "sealed" N64 games come in a loose-fitting crinkly bag. Certainly just an "aftermarket modification." I guess Japan kept holding onto the dream of no sticky-fingered teens in GLORIOUS NIPPON for a long while
Especially true when you consider that JP Gamecube games still came in mainly soft cardboard and paper packaging (discs were in sleeves). Not until the Wii did Nintendo finally adopt solid plastic cases in its home country.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Huh? They came in a plastic case with a cardboard slip cover.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:So when I saw that unfamiliar word "Taikenban" I immediately put it into Google.
Hmm, was that there when I first saw it? Musta overlooked it...
To be fair, demo madness is a species of the brain disease Rob talked about earlier. :mrgreen:
Nate

Post by Nate »

That (originally $100K) "VGA" sealed copy of "Stadium Events" ended up selling for a little over $35K...

It's just funny. These people are just trying to amuse me and it's working. :lol:
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

the topic should be called ebay (and other) auctions with insane people

If I buy a sealed game outside of retail it is to ensure that the contents are fresh as I like that. They have all cost less money than their retail price.
I have a couple of sealed games, one is on my shelf. When I look at the one on my shelf I do not think "I am a badass" I think "I should be more careful with my money". In the past I occasionally bought games that I didn't end up playing. I have a massive collection of mint condition complete-in-box games but I only paid the retail price for them. Most of them are securely packed inside a box for storage. Only the games I play or intend to play are on display on my shelf.
If someone buys a game at a store and takes it home and does whatever it is they do with it, it becomes a used game in my mind. Just because the owner forgot to open their game doesn't make it as new as an actual new game from behind a glass pane in a store, recently off the truck from the manufacturer. People should buy an old game that is sealed to raise the odds of the contents arriving in good shape for when they play them.

Forget all that we are humble capitalists we have a new industry on our hands. Besides, whatever someone wants to spend their money on is fine. The only possible solution is to ensure that the people spending the money no longer have money to spend but that complicates things. We can all think these big spenders are pathetic so why not. We all think pretty much everyone else is pathetic anyways so I've just wasted a whole lot of thought.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Astraea FGA Mk. I wrote:so I've just wasted a whole lot of thought.
Yes.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Astraea FGA Mk. I wrote:The only possible solution is to ensure that the people spending the money no longer have money to spend but that complicates things.
Obama working on it.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

undamned wrote:
Astraea FGA Mk. I wrote:The only possible solution is to ensure that the people spending the money no longer have money to spend but that complicates things.
Obama working on it.
-ud
Republicans working on it while pretending they're working to protect everybody's Stadium Events from inflation and nationalization
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

'Muricans complaining again, hey I propose an exchange; your Obama for our (way underestimated) 10.4 % unemployment rate ? :lol:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Xyga wrote:'Muricans complaining again, hey I propose an exchange; your Obama for our (way underestimated) 10.4 % unemployment rate ? :lol:
The sad thing is, I wonder if most Americans wouldn't take you up on that even right now.

If a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth cinches its pants, then bad news and unexcitement are the unwelcome guests that you trip over on your way out the door. Probably a lot of people think our unemployment rate is around 10% right now :mrgreen:
rancor

Post by rancor »

Hopefully lessons are being learned.... But, I doubt it: :roll:

eBay lays off 1,600.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Enjoy even fewer opportunities for getting scams sorted out, I guess?

Speaking of things that are not entirely dissimilar from* scams:
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/5 ... 0342210560

* libel suit narrowly averted!
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

rancor wrote:Hopefully lessons are being learned.... But, I doubt it: :roll:

eBay lays off 1,600.
The economy, but of course.

Because they own Paypal, they're fully aware that there isn't less money being spent on goods these days.

When you jack the fees to milk the cow, this is what you get. I'm exactly 0 suprised. Who likes paying 15% on top?

If I were them I'd wonder how come people have that many friends/family they want to send money to...
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

High Resolution HOWLER of the month:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380707923250

"Auto color" leaves me with a good feeling! With brand new technology (might be older than some members of this forum) you don't have to fiddle any knobs on your brand-new studio monitor. VTR input provided, and additionally RGB input through a lovely SCSI-style connector with more sturdy pins than you can shake a hot iron at. All this technology and more is encased in leather-grained fiber board and vaguely orange/brown genuine '80s buttfuzz in the top vent.

Speaking of color, the seller really needs to make this sale as they can't afford an MS Paint intern for their "PLEASE READ INFORMATION" warning picture. Oh my is that an eyesore.

Priced to move, far lower than its weight in dimes or quarters! With an appropriate cable that'll keep me from having to slog through slush for a late winter's game of Contra.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I might be wrong, but I suspect that television may in fact contain a Twinkie.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Ed Oscuro wrote:High Resolution HOWLER of the month:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380707923250
LOL
Estimated shipping and handling cost to my country: $2236.00 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Only ten times the asking price of the monitor...how is that bad? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BIL wrote:I might be wrong, but I suspect that television may in fact contain a Twinkie.
Ah, now I get it - they were using the vent to grate some cheese.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

ive seen that monitor before ed. I think that particular seller wants us to think those monitors are a lot newer. they sell them all the time but never put the year it was made in the listing.

probably full of bugs too.

the monitor i just bought arrived not working right, but i must say its the cleanest monitor or tv Ive opened.

theres not even any crud around the vents or the yoke. the yoke on it is still bright shiny copper.

I believe that it sat unused for years.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Anyone have 10 grand for a piece of plastic?

Yes. A non working model. 10 grand :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Plu ... 1269226255

I'm considering making an offer of $1.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Stevens wrote:Anyone have 10 grand for a piece of plastic?

Yes. A non working model. 10 grand :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Plu ... 1269226255

I'm considering making an offer of $1.
Same person sells only sealed games like this little nugget: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-James-034-B ... 7675.l2557
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Well, the Pluto thing is genuinely cool. It belongs in a museum. It doesn't belong in anybody's home, because it's kind of the best example of Sega being fuckwits and would only make me wince in pain every time I saw it. (I don't know where the blame lies - US or Japan - but it would still make me wince regardless.)

Bustah Dougie. Oh gawd, that takes me back to the inane and not slightly self-destructive discussions on Digital Press people would have about their full set hunts. Glad there's still people at it, I guess. I'm sure the money is in good hands now :mrgreen:
drauch

Post by drauch »

I mean, is that one even real, though? That person doesn't go into any detail about how they got it. Looking at their sold stuff, it's all just sealed games, many which look like they were done in a garage, nothing graded.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

eBay's lack of provenance stuff does annoy me, but it was built in the late '90s for selling Dark Crystal lunchboxes and Beatles LP slipscovers, after all.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Here's a "real" one: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/21/one-o ... r-auction/

That white one just looks like such a total hackjob. Looks like someone found a cordless phone base at a flea market, said, "oh shit, that looks like a Pluto," stuck some ports on it, then slapped a Saturn sticker on it. At this point I think everyone knows what a total sucker some of these collecto-maniacs are for the r4r3, prototypes, and sealed. Shit, if I was evil enough I'd probably be doing it myself. With an auction like that, who can prove you wrong?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

drauch wrote:Looks like someone found a cordless phone base at a flea market, said, "oh shit, that looks like a Pluto," stuck some ports on it, then slapped a Saturn sticker on it.
Pretty sure this isn't too far from the IRL design process at Sega at the time, though.

And even in seriousness, remember the Neptune? That pooped up recently too.

Edit: Maybe this is turning into a regular feature?

CONSUMER RESOLUTION "Symphonic" HOWLER of the day:
http://digichar.com/unt/36847-symphonic ... nd_in.html

It's not for sale, but just look at the pictures :)
No BNCs, but here's a new pass-through on me - power passthrough! Wonder if it's a live chassis? Surely a desirable high-end feature right there.