M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Steven »

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know there was going to be a Final Fantasy XVI until several days after it launched.

In any case, I took the day off tomorrow and on Friday just for this, so yes, I will be doing live translation for the stream tomorrow. Hopefully I will not be distracted by the games and forget about the stream.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

ZeroFire is now up on both the Japanese PS Store and Switch eShop!! Wooooo ShotTriggers day!!!!!

Checking the credits, chibi-tech once again did the opening screen and arcade challenge arranged BGM, as well as the credits music.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There goes me afternoon! Time to ZeroFire it up Image

I totally forgot today's ACA day too ^__^ (King & Balloon is a much classier accompaniment than the last time this happened Image :lol:)
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Time to get an order in once PlayAsia have it in their warehouse!
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's such a trip getting frame-perfect AC Hellfire a few weeks after a similarly otaku-perfect MegaBlast. :lol: And I like MB a lot, but the jump in craftsmanship is so vast. Perhaps it's my Saigo no Nindou-bred fondness for one-way weapon switching talking, there. Image So perversely satisfying to line up the perfect selection in the heat of battle. MOVE TO THEIR BLINDSIDES AND FIRE IN AGAIN Image

It occured to me that I'd never actually played AC Hellfire before. :o I suspect the MD version will remain my favourite - I must have the godlaz0r - but man, so much comfier without the pan n' scan, my only complaint about that cart. The BGM, as I typically find with Toaplan's in-house MD ports versus the OG boards, loses a bit of raw oomph, but gains that unmistakable wrought-iron timbre. For me, that juxtaposition of fierily soldiering intensity with cold, crisp FM sonorousness is as much their signature as the lovably relentless sniper tank and its Fast Aimed Shot™.

Didn't have time for Zero Wing or Horror Story, but as noted, I would've nabbed this for Hellfire alone so I ain't even bothered. Image ShotTriggers is always quality overload. :cool: Did have a quick browse about the visual materials and man, Horror Story's OG arcade poster is rugged in its scrappy gag-manga way! :shock: Skulls for teh skull throne Image
jehu

Post by jehu »

Hardest part of going physical is not being able to participate in day one festivities. :lol:

Post impressions - I'm living vicariously through you today.

Any happy or unhappy surprises? Changes in the standard Toaplan Garage feature set? Any impression as to why Hellfire 2P was chosen over the 1P variant? Any fun elements of the Super Easy arrange? I read something about the tractor beam having a different functionality. Does no-missing Super Easy still cause rank to shoot into the stratosphere?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Can confirm arcade Hellfire 1P ver is here all present and correct, even before adding DLC. :mrgreen: I obliviously selected 2P, first, and was all "Hm, does the ship not change colour with its shot type, like on MD...?" Then I died and insta-respawned, and went "Oh hell no, it's 1989 and I'm a drunken gaijin rockin' out with his bros!" (it's true! nobody tell Mihara-san or he'll ban me off the PSN :shock:) As per ShotTriggers policy, a quick trip to the version menu will sort you out with 1P and its checkpoints, as God and Jesus intended. :cool:
Toaplan Forever translation @ Gamengai wrote:VHS: For the games first put out by Taito, were there any requests by them to "make something like this?"

Uemura: For the overseas versions, yes. They're the ones that requested 2-player simultaneous play. Originally in the overseas versions you didn't return to a checkpoint when you died, and simultaneous play was a must. The players at that time in America were always playing in a somewhat drunken fashion, not making strategies or plans.

VHS: Now that you mention it, most overseas games have continues which allow you to pick up right where you left off: Raiden, for example.

Uemura: The shooting game I envisioned is over when you don't return to a checkpoint after a miss because you are no longer creating a pattern.

VHS: There's also the notion that if you die somewhere that should be the end.

Uemura: There's always a recovery pattern in the games I make. Even if your weapons go to zero, you can always recover.
*hic* Image
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Yeah, both Hellfire and Zero Wing have the 1P and 2P arcade variants included. Zero Wing's default Arcade mode is the 1P, 2P is selected separately. Hellfire is the reverse, for whatever reason the default Arcade mode is the 2P version for drunken Amerikajin. I had to work shortly after downloading on PS4 and giving it a very fast spin through the menus and messing with Zero Wing's Arcade Challenge mode (typical M2/Toaplan features). Will get to dig in a bit more in the next day or so.

EDIT: After a little time with Hellfire this evening, one unfortunate note... if you're a fan of the 1P version, no M2 Gadgets for that one. Gadgets are only for the default Arcade Mode (2P for Hellfire), Super Easy, and Custom modes. 1P is just provided as a bonus. IIRC, this same quirk applied to Same! Same! Same! on Vol. 2...
Steven

Post by Steven »

Games get. They didn't implement Horror Story's internal autofire for some reason.

Oh wait, yes they did, but only on Switch, where it is incorrectly labeled SHOT (15連). Both versions are missing the Select button on the PC Engine games. HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO RESET THE GAME NOW WITHOUT PRESSING THE RESET BUTTON IN THE MENU M2??????????????????????????
Spoiler
As you can (not) see (because of the glare), they realized that the PS4 cover's cropping was stupid and fixed it for the final release.

Who wants Teki-Paki codes?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:52 pmLess than 24 hours left until the 20th, so I figured that I might as well make a few recommendations, as I am sure that someone is going to play at least one of these games for the first time.
Cheers for this, turns out I was playing all three for the first time. :lol: Specifically the AC versions of Hellfire and Zero Wing, and any version whatosever of Horror Story. I'd forgotten the simple HUMAN SHIELD pleasure of ZW's PRISONER BEAM. Great fun locking up foes mid-firefight like an STG judoka. Sup bitch! *yoink* Undeniably feels the loss of Iwadare's sterling MD OST, but that's inevitable. Had also forgotten your Options blocking bullets! I love that tactile element, see also Task Force Harrier.

HS was a pleasant surprise, kept me up way past bedtime. I always dig it when violent action/platformers feature Marioesque hop/bop, or as I term it, THE DARKNESS BOP Image Bodies dropping and heads bopping, who could resist? Image

BOP TIL THEY DROP Image
Spoiler

ala Wardner, the deadly-precise shooting and platforming transcends the extreme genre shift remarkably well. Similar sense of letting rip under lethal economy. I'd have played longer than an A+B stage apiece but I was nodding off; tbh I wouldn't be able to tell which was the recommended version from just that, dug both, but I'll be sticking with B herein. Image

Great mossy, chibi-downbeat mood, too, as with their preceding Wizardry paean! It was late enough I couldn't remember whether it was Version A or B, but that was a quality overgrown grassy field against rainy grey sky!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Games get again. The Horror Story art is beautiful in person, as expected.
BIL wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:08 am
Steven wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:52 pmLess than 24 hours left until the 20th, so I figured that I might as well make a few recommendations, as I am sure that someone is going to play at least one of these games for the first time.
Cheers for this, turns out I was playing all three for the first time. :lol: Specifically the AC versions of Hellfire and Zero Wing, and any version whatosever of Horror Story. I'd forgotten the simple HUMAN SHIELD pleasure of ZW's PRISONER BEAM. Great fun locking up foes mid-firefight like an STG judoka. Sup bitch! *yoink* Undeniably feels the loss of Iwadare's sterling MD OST, but that's inevitable. Had also forgotten your Options blocking bullets! I love that tactile element, see also Task Force Harrier.

HS was a pleasant surprise, kept me up way past bedtime. I always dig it when violent action/platformers feature Marioesque hop/bop, or as I term it, THE DARKNESS BOP Image Bodies dropping and heads bopping, who could resist? Image

BOP TIL THEY DROP Image
Spoiler

ala Wardner, the deadly-precise shooting and platforming transcends the extreme genre shift remarkably well. Similar sense of letting rip under lethal economy. I'd have played longer than an A+B stage apiece but I was nodding off; tbh I wouldn't be able to tell which was the recommended version from just that, dug both, but I'll be sticking with B herein. Image

Great mossy, chibi-downbeat mood, too, as with their preceding Wizardry paean! It was late enough I couldn't remember whether it was Version A or B, but that was a quality overgrown grassy field against rainy grey sky!
Horror Story is so damn good, isn't it? Watch out for Metroids!

I'm surprised you've not played the arcade versions of these before, though. I don't really like 2P Hellfire. Chain death potential is very high in some spots (final third of stage 3), so be extremely careful with that game.

I haven't spent too much time with 2P Zero Wing, but I think that one's not so bad, especially since you respawn partially powered up, you keep the same weapon that you had before death, and the default speed is actually pretty usable in most cases. It loses the secret warp on stage 5 and cuts the shot limit, but it's pretty alright otherwise, even if I still prefer the 1P version. Zero Wing's rank increases infinitely, apparently, so if you manage to do a ridiculous amount of loops, the enemy bullets become so fast that they cross the screen in only a few frames. You thought CAVE games were hard? Lol Zero Wing gives no fucks. You can check it out on the Bitwave PC version and it's actually really funny to see.

Lol M2 broke the stream. Well... yeah. I guess it will probably start again soon. I'll probably start another post when it's time.
Steven

Post by Steven »

M2 fixed the stream. New URL: https://youtube.com/live/TLuhVAax39U

I guess this will be the stream translation post now unless a ton of people post or something.

Cool, they got the PC Engine Hellfire girls' voice actresses back for the new PV.

Lol Toyama is back to get revenge against Zero Wing. He managed to do it after using many save states.

Uemura-san reminds everyone that he did not do the enemy placement for Zero Wing.

It also seems that Zero Wing's Super Easy mode actually gets fairly difficult or something like that. Oh holy fuck they just showed it and the bullet speed becomes insanely fast.

Well, that's pretty much it. They said they are almost done working on something called Daioujou, but nobody cares about that when we have Horror Story.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

What was the update from Tatsujin segment (or however they worded that piece)? Sounds like there was no hugely consequential new news pertaining to future Toaplan Arcade Garage releases?
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Picked up today just short of 6000 yen for digital PS4 Zero Fire plus DLC.

DLC was around 1800+ yen with Zero Fire itself — arcade Hellfire and arcade Zero Wing (no Horror Story/no DLC) — less than 4000 yen.

Zero Fire itself w/ out DLC was about same price as Raiden III via Japanese PSN (digital purchases).

DLC = arcade Horror Story plus PCE Horror Story plus Hellfire MD GEN PCE and Zero Wing MD PCE.

N.B. Major revision and edits regarding digital pricing: base games/arcade versions’ digital prices and DLC digital prices have been consistent for all three Toaplan Garage games purchased for PS4 thru Japanese PSN (significantly less $ for digital than physical).

Not sure what I freaked out about earlier thinking Toaplan Garage #3 Zero Fire was so much cheaper than #s 1 & 2 (besides the fact that it seems odd that Raiden III Mikado digital and base version of Zero Fire digital are same/similar price).

“Nothing to see here” :oops:

Might be the heat!
Stay cool wherever you are. 8)
Last edited by Fingolfin on Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Was wondering if anyone can shed light on a new copyright included with Toaplan Arcade Garage #3 ZeroFire:

©extreme

Bottom of startup screen and main menu game select screens read as such

© TATSUJIN Co., Ltd. ©extreme © 2023 M2 Co., Ltd.

I noticed after my second startup that something was different — the presence of the ©extreme copyright.

Hopefully that’s crystal clear and not too circular/circuitous and hopelessly redundant…

What’s up with ©extreme?

Thanks for any help!

(FWIW I did attempt googling without success)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Man I am loving Horror Story Version B Image It actually reminds me most of Wonder Boy, between the autoscrolling, the sensibly weighty air intertia, and the stage design's emphasis on momentum-based jump/shoot puzzles... the use of zako formations is pure hard-won expertise from Toaplan. Also, it's WB with a doublejump and big honkin' guns. Image The doublejump is artful, juuust the right strictness.

You weren't kidding about Bomb, Steven! Crazy DPS, and while the limited range and short arc are initially concerning, you can totally turn those to your advantage. Classic slow decay w/sizzling SFX as well. :cool:

EDIT: And such a mood, too... exactly like Wardner, has a rare combination of knowingly dreary sights and soldiering BGM, the chibi sprites absolutely transcended into fiery character. The wet concrete and overgrown grass of the Samurai Ghost's compound against a windy night sky, gorgeous. :shock: Indian stage BGM is manful, listen to that rugged bassline. Image I've no idea who composed, but on a hunch I have to think it's the same talent behind Wardner? Noticing a similarly playful ear.

I wonder, if these games had the conventionally arresting looks of a Rastan or Contra, if they'd be more widely-renowned... they're odd-lookin' little joints, both, almost parodic - but if you give 'em a go, they'll show mettle on par with any marquee shooter/slasher!

Was always down with Get Star and especially Wardner, but this is the surprise breakout of the Arcade Garage set for me so far.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Fingolfin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:35 pm Was wondering if anyone can shed light on a new copyright included with Toaplan Arcade Garage #3 ZeroFire:

©extreme

I noticed after my second startup that something was different — the presence of the ©extreme copyright.

Hopefully that’s crystal clear and not too circular/circuitous and hopelessly redundant…

What’s up with ©extreme?

Thanks for any help!

Extreme bought NCS' IPs, so PCE Hellfire is theirs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:26 amI'm surprised you've not played the arcade versions of these before, though. I don't really like 2P Hellfire. Chain death potential is very high in some spots (final third of stage 3), so be extremely careful with that game.
This set makes me realise just how quintessentially Genesis Hellfire always was to me; that and Ghouls n' Ghosts were always the machine's defining earlier titles. I was very fortunate to encounter both early (grew up in the West Indies, where even NTSCU titles were exotic imports), and they had an arcade-authentic "whoop asses off the machine like you're getting paid" violence, combined with keen design expertise... like nothing else on home console. Not even my dreaded NES Life Force (the first STG to wreck my shit and send me scampering back to Ninja Gaiden and Contra) was as prestigiously tough. :cool: When I got into the NTSCJ MD decades later, Hellfire was an instant pickup, so again it's always been a home game to me.

I was expecting to dislike the AC one's lack of GodLaz0r and Search Option, but tbh, I dig the unadorned purity; feels like a master course for those who've got the shot switch and macro-dodge down to an artform. It's been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier it's M2 at the helm. Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:12 pm
Fingolfin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:35 pm Was wondering if anyone can shed light on a new copyright included with Toaplan Arcade Garage #3 ZeroFire:

©extreme

What’s up with ©extreme?

Thanks for any help!

NCS is credited on the MD/Genesis version, as well, even if it is mostly Toaplan staff (two of the directors are from NCS). Checked the credits of the PCE version. I was under the impression it was from NEC Avenue (and does credit some NEC Avenue staff), but some Masaya staff are also credited.

Edit: Telling from the credits, a couple NEC Avenue staff members left for Masaya since those games were dated a bit later. It's also possible that the programmers were from a company named Bits Labatory (JP, not to be confused with the EU company that did the GB R-Type ports) and shared common credits on some games.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Thanks for the info regarding the extreme copyright and NCS Bassa-Bassa and BrianC.

Also want to thank Steven for all of his dedication in posting Japanese STG and arcade news/experiences and for the translations/summaries/explanations: thank you very much!
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven, could you help us out with a translation of 'Other Settings'?

Especially for Hellfire, there seems to be a whole bundle of different modes to choose from. I've been trying to make sense of them with translation software, but it's coming out gibberish.
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:46 pm What was the update from Tatsujin segment (or however they worded that piece)? Sounds like there was no hugely consequential new news pertaining to future Toaplan Arcade Garage releases?
Hellfire shirt https://waxongame.base.shop/items/76680725

which, yes, I did insta-buy, and that M2 will be at Tatsujin's booth at Tokyo Game Show.
BIL wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 pm Man I am loving Horror Story Version B Image It actually reminds me most of Wonder Boy, between the autoscrolling, the sensibly weighty jump intertia (the doublejump is artful, juuust the right strictness), and the stage design leaning towards momentum-based jump/shoot puzzles... the use of zako formations is pure hard-won expertise from Toaplan. Also, it's WB with a doublejump and big honkin' guns. Image You weren't kidding about Bomb, Steven! Crazy DPS, and while the limited range and short arc are initially concerning, you can totally turn those to your advantage. Classic slow decay w/sizzling SFX as well. :cool:

EDIT: And such a mood, too... exactly like Wardner, has a rare combination of knowingly dreary sights and soldiering BGM, the chibi sprites absolutely transcended into fiery character. The wet concrete and overgrown grass of the Samurai Ghost's compound against a windy night sky, gorgeous. :shock: Indian stage BGM is manful, listen to that rugged bassline. Image I've no idea who composed, but on a hunch I have to think it's the same talent behind Wardner? Noticing a similarly playful ear.

I wonder, if these games had the conventionally arresting looks of a Rastan or Contra, if they'd be more widely-renowned... they're odd-lookin' little joints, both, almost parodic - but if you give 'em a go, they'll show mettle on par with any marquee shooter/slasher!

Was always down with Get Star and especially Wardner, but this is the surprise breakout of the Arcade Garage set for me so far.
Yes, aside from the graphics, this game is amazing at pretty much everything, especially the music. I do think both versions of Horror Story are overall probably the best game in this collection. The music here was the debut work of Tomizawa Toshiaki, who shortly afterwards also did stages 2, 6, and 8 on Zero Wing and the entirety of Vimana. Wikipedia also lists Lee Ohta, who is indeed the dude who did Wardner, but that's wrong. Horror Story's music was entirely Tomizawa.
BIL wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:50 pm
Steven wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:26 amI'm surprised you've not played the arcade versions of these before, though. I don't really like 2P Hellfire. Chain death potential is very high in some spots (final third of stage 3), so be extremely careful with that game.
This set makes me realise just how quintessentially Genesis Hellfire always was to me; that and Ghouls n' Ghosts were always the machine's defining earlier titles. I was very fortunate to encounter both early (grew up in the West Indies, where even NTSCU titles were exotic imports), and they had an arcade-authentic "whoop asses off the machine like you're getting paid" violence, combined with keen design expertise... like nothing else on home console. Not even my dreaded NES Life Force (the first STG to wreck my shit and send me scampering back to Ninja Gaiden and Contra) was as prestigiously tough. :cool: When I got into the NTSCJ MD decades later, Hellfire was an instant pickup, so again it's always been a home game to me.

I was expecting to dislike the AC one's lack of GodLaz0r and Search Option, but tbh, I dig the unadorned purity; feels like a master course for those who've got the shot switch and macro-dodge down to an artform. It's been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier it's M2 at the helm. Image
It does feel odd after coming from MD Hellfire, but Mikado recently put the 2P arcade version in and I've been spending a lot of time with it there and I've started to really like arcade Hellfire a lot, especially the 1P version. While I'm on the subject of arcade Hellfire, someone in the stream chat last night was complaining about slowdown in arcade Hellfire and asking for a patch to fix it, but that is how this game is; it has a lot of slowdown.
Fingolfin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:42 am Thanks for the info regarding the extreme copyright and NCS Bassa-Bassa and BrianC.

Also want to thank Steven for all of his dedication in posting Japanese STG and arcade news/experiences and for the translations/summaries/explanations: thank you very much!
Yeah sure, no problem.
jehu wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:42 am Steven, could you help us out with a translation of 'Other Settings'?

Especially for Hellfire, there seems to be a whole bundle of different modes to choose from. I've been trying to make sense of them with translation software, but it's coming out gibberish.
Yeah, I know exactly the one you are talking about, so here it is. Some of these are clearly supposed to be the names of other STGs, but I can't think of some of them.

A: Arcade
Autofire shot + weapon change button = craziness, just like on PCB. Puts you on both ARCADE and ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard.

B: Safety
30Hz synchronized autofire button disables the weapon change button. Puts you on both ARCADE and ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard.

C: Enhanced
Fixes the glitch entirely, no matter what autofire type you use, letting you change weapons while autofiring. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard.

D: Gladiator's Victory
Holding the change button locks your movement. While holding, press a direction to change to that shot direction. It kind of sucks, I think. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard. No idea what game this is supposed to be.

E: Supreme Ares
Shot direction changes to match your direction of movement, or forward when stationary. Hold the change button to be able to move with current weapon. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard. No idea what game this is supposed to be.

F: Galvanic Gamma Array 3rd
Same as E, but you press forward to shoot backwards. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard. Probably GG Aleste 3, as it behaves just like weapon A in that game.

G: Imagined Future
Same as E and F, but you must press forwards to shoot backwards and backwards to shoot forwards. Being stationary will not cause you to shoot forwards like the others. Probably Image Fight, especially since this is how the red pods in Image Fight behave. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard.

H: Tidal Force Vector
Same as G, but holding either the change button or 30Hz synchronized auto will lock the firing direction. Probably Thunder Force V, as this is how the broken Free Range weapon in that works. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard.

The option below this affects the functionality of the laser weapon when using the 30Hz synchronized auto and firing forwards or backwards. The default 弾切れ緩和 causes it to fire more slowly to space your shots better and 秒間30連射 makes it behave as normal 30Hz synchronized auto.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Oh my oh my oh my.. I just got home back to trip and noticed that zerofire is finally out & Hellfire score thread naturally just got new entries as a consequence!

Bear with me, I will update the hiscore section as soon as I can.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:09 amYes, aside from the graphics, this game is amazing at pretty much everything, especially the music. I do think both versions of Horror Story are overall probably the best game in this collection. The music here was the debut work of Tomizawa Toshiaki, who shortly afterwards also did stages 2, 6, and 8 on Zero Wing and the entirety of Vimana. Wikipedia also lists Lee Ohta, who is indeed the dude who did Wardner, but that's wrong. Horror Story's music was entirely Tomizawa.
Aha, I think I remember you mentioning Tomizawa a while back! That figures, in hindsight. Horror Story has a much fierier OST than I'd have guessed, but it's totally in-line with Zero Wing and Vimana. The mechanistically-driven BGM during the China stage approach is especially outstanding, I was falling asleep at the controls with gibbering skulls everywhere but had to see it through!

It's the parpy trumpet voice and tiktiktik hi-hat that really give it a Wardner sound image, though that one's heavier tracks lean more towards the soldiering hard rock/metal of their STGs. Wardner Special may be inexplicably fugly with its bad palette, but its arrangements rock hard.
Steven wrote:
jehu wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:42 am Steven, could you help us out with a translation of 'Other Settings'?

Yeah, I know exactly the one you are talking about, so here it is...
Killer info as always, thanks bud! :o
D: Gladiator's Victory
Holding the change button locks your movement. While holding, press a direction to change to that shot direction. It kind of sucks, I think. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard. No idea what game this is supposed to be.
Gradius V, maybe? The "hold button to adjust aim, at cost of ship movement" mechanic sounds like a close copy of its Type 2 Options.
E: Supreme Ares
Shot direction changes to match your direction of movement, or forward when stationary. Hold the change button to be able to move with current weapon. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard. No idea what game this is supposed to be.
Strictly offhand, I'd guess Super Aleste; I seem to recall a point n' shoot weapon there. But then Compile have a million vaguely-similar STGs with lots of very similar weapons, haha.
F: Galvanic Gamma Array 3rd
Same as E, but you press forward to shoot backwards. Puts you on only the ARCADE ALLMIX leaderboard. Probably GG Aleste 3, as it behaves just like weapon A in that game.
I like the use of Galvanic, as in Galvanic Gear from MUSHA. :cool: That's a very cool word! From-a the Luigi Galvani, mamma mia!
The option below this affects the functionality of the laser weapon when using the 30Hz synchronized auto and firing forwards or backwards. The default 弾切れ緩和 causes it to fire more slowly to space your shots better and 秒間30連射 makes it behave as normal 30Hz synchronized auto.
Man, these guys put in the work. :o
Steven

Post by Steven »

So

how the fuck do people not like Hellfire? This game is awesome! The 1P version is, anyway. After playing it a lot yesterday and today, I have started to really like the 1P version a lot. The diagonal shot is awful in the 2P version, but you can use it in a very aggressive manner in the 1P version, and it makes the game a lot more fun.

I've no missed to just before the fish heads boss on stage 4 now on the 1P version. Those fish heads are very annoying and have a lot of HP, and since I haven't gotten to them at full power yet, I don't know how much of a difference being powered up or not makes. Should get the clear eventually, though, and then on to the 2P version.

For the PC Engine version, kill item carriers with the back shot. This makes the PC Engine version a lot more interesting, as well. If you don't already know why, try it and you'll find out~

For Zero Wing, I think the custom mode might actually the best way to play this game now. Arcade Zero Wing is a difficult game for three reasons, the first being the crazy fast enemy bullet speed, the second being that the game gives you almost no extends unless you get the 10UP, and the last is that some of the checkpoints are extremely difficult to recover from. This is one game where the respawns might actually make the game better, and custom mode lets you play the 1P version with respawns if you want.

The 1P version is not meant to be played with respawns, but if there is someone who hates the checkpoints in this game, try the respawn thing in the custom mode and see if you like it. Yes, you could just play the 2P version, but since this is the 1P version, you don't get the reduced shot limit of the 2P version, and the secret warp should still work as well. I haven't really played this that much because I've been focusing on Hellfire, but I think I might like it better this way.
BIL wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:45 am Gradius V, maybe?
Damn, you're right, it's definitely Gradius V. I haven't played that game in a long time, but that thing is definitely in that game, now that you mention it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also I totally blanked on the ol' Gradius/Gladius thing there :oops: :mrgreen:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Uh

I just no missed arcade Zero Wing.
Spoiler
Although I used the warp to skip the two hardest stages in the game, so maybe it doesn't count, and Despatche won't accept scores that use the warp, so I can't post my score, but a no miss is a no miss.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:32 am
Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:12 pm

©extreme

What’s up with ©extreme?

Thanks for any help!

NCS is credited on the MD/Genesis version, as well, even if it is mostly Toaplan staff (two of the directors are from NCS). Checked the credits of the PCE version. I was under the impression it was from NEC Avenue (and does credit some NEC Avenue staff), but some Masaya staff are also credited.

Edit: Telling from the credits, a couple NEC Avenue staff members left for Masaya since those games were dated a bit later. It's also possible that the programmers were from a company named Bits Labatory (JP, not to be confused with the EU company that did the GB R-Type ports) and shared common credits on some games.
I actually meant MD Hellfire. Hellfire S is indeed in-house NEC Avenue-developed (and -published, but just read on another forum that M2 purchased NEC's PCE videogame IPs earlier this year, so no acknowledgment needed there).
Steven

Post by Steven »

MD Hellfire is weird because I am not sure who actually made it. NCS typically gets credit for it, but the credits list almost only Toaplan staff members, with only one programmer, H. Matsumura, and a bunch of people in the special thanks section being unknown to me. There are two directors from NCS and one from Toaplan (Ohta Toshiaki), as well, but it is really odd that the game had three directors, none of which were the director of the arcade version, and only two programmers, with only one that I know of that was from Toaplan, but NCS gets all of the credit.

Are the people in the special thanks section the NCS staff who worked on it? If they were, why not put them in the other parts of the credits? If the Toaplan staff members were the ones who actually made it, why is it so radically different from the arcade version despite Uemura-san, who was the director/lead game designer/lead programmer/sole composer of the arcade version, supposedly working on both, and why does NCS get credit for it? I don't know and it's weird. I think I asked Uemura-san a year ago if he made MD Hellfire and he didn't remember, which doesn't help.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I asked a friend and he doesn't know the details, but MD Hellfire's development has always been attributed to Toaplan, even if it's not exactly explicit in the game itself, as it used to.