It's all in your head

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
heli

Re: It's all in your head

Post by heli »

Have you seen the super mario world record ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wR8x5b_ExM
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

1. That's a speedrun, those are basically only about this stuff
2. It's literally a <5 minute run, which means SMB gets away with this in a manner that very few other speed games do

I'd like to hear what actual competitive DDP score players think though. I can't imagine anyone being in favor of this.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I think it'll be interesting to see if a western player can now pull it off in a live, full run. I imagine that by 1-5 your brain is already starting to emulsify, let alone 2-5.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Pretty much no one seems to care anymore and japanese leaderboards changing anything instead of being free for all or a straight up loaderboard shutdown is about as likely as getting the counterstop

verdict: doesn't matter
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Remembering what I wrote in that other thread (emphasis added):
6t8k wrote:
blossom wrote:When combined with the secrecy and elitism of Japanese arcades, this idea of strict verification for western players is too much of a double standard for me.
Why engage a lock bar to potential improvenent for the reason that somewhere else, it's somehow different, and we can't change it anyway - whataboutism?
Not that one should point at others before cleaning up one's own backyard or impose one's ideals on others, and by now at the latest, we all know that the above would be an oversimplified characterization of the Japanese situation, but my notion at that time that we can't change it might have been a bit short-sighted.

I hear the Japanese players have in response published their own knowledge about the glitch, and surely this campaign must have provoked at least some thoughts.

Despite all blemishes, I think it was a great success in the end.

I'm just wistful about the shortcoming that Glitcho doesn't appear to facilitate loading Super Mario into RAM by reading controller inputs :P