Super NES Classic Edition

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
bigbadboaz

Re: Super NES Classic Edition

Post by bigbadboaz »

Ugh. First of all, consoles being sold at a massive loss stopped this generation. That's why both PS4 and XO were relatively underpowered compared to the leaps made in previous cycles. This has been covered ad nauseum.

Both consoles were built around commodity chipsets from AMD rather than exotic, specialized designs. There is no reason Nintendo could not do something similar within a reasonable financial model. They could even build something cheaper which would still massively outperform the Switch.

Nintendo hasn't been anything close to a "tiny little company" since the NES blew up. They've been in far better financial health than Sony for at least a decade. Their cash holdings meant they were never in a bad spot even while the Wii U was weighing on them. They absolutely have the resources to build any damn type of platform they might choose to - IF they choose to.

As for "give up doing the thing that works.. blah blah blah".. yes Switch is currently doing great. It's still early. And it doesn't change that GameCube began their downward spiral, Wii took them in entirely the wrong direction, and Wii U was an undeniable stinking disaster. At the time they were choosing to go in the Switch direction, there was no way to tell if it was right or wrong. Still want to claim this is the only right philosophy for them to follow? The core of Nintendo's success is the quality of their games, not the stupid hardware. Do you really think a box that offered all the FPS and sports American teenagers need plus the entire exclusive Nintendo library would fail? That would be the only platform that checked every box! It wouldn't be the "exact same product"; it would be a NINTENDO PLATFORM.

You see things differently than I do, fine. But don't come in here with a bunch of outdated information and your own biased assumptions and talk like you hold the absolute truth.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I forwarded some of the financial tips from this thread to Nintendo HQ in Kyoto to see what they thought. Surprisingly, they replied:
Nintendo wrote: Dear American Investor,

Thank you very much for your message.

We found your ideas very interesting, but unfortunately, our executives are still too preoccupied counting the money we made last year selling 2.5 million SMB roms for $60 each and do not have the time to implement your undoubtedly lucrative strategies.

We appreciate your interest in our already ridiculously abundant wealth, as well as the time you spend arguing about it with friends and acquaintances.

The summer months are upon us. Please be sure to stay cool.

Sincerely,

[Name redacted]
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

:lol:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

What's funny is even the horror franchise Nintendo bought and didn't do anything with, is nonviolent and family friendly. It's just Pokémon Snap, but with ghosts.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

was anyone notified by any stores that this snes classic was available for preorder? i signed up weeks ago for email notifications and havent got 1 yet.

I already know its sold out everywhere.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mvsfan wrote:was anyone notified by any stores that this snes classic was available for preorder? i signed up weeks ago for email notifications and havent got 1 yet.

I already know its sold out everywhere.
I signed up weeks ago on Amazon and haven't seen any emails from them. Frustrating thing is that the email only seems to notify when the item is in stock, not when the item is up for order, as I found out the hard way when I ordered Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 on Blu-ray.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

GotG2 is Disney and Amazon doesn't offer preorders for Disney BDs atm. They're fighting over prices. Same reason why most current Disney BDs show as "usually ships within xx weeks", while they're in stock and ship out within days of your order.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

I preordered a SNES Mini from a UK online clothing store (!), along with basically everyone in my office back in June. Keep expecting it to fall through, but they diligently email me every fortnight to say GREAT NEWS, YOUR ORDER IS ON TRACK.

Might be worth checking out more unusual outlets as every scalper and his dog is going to be bombarding Amazon and the official Nintendo site.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I havent been able to find any small shops in the Us that carry snes classic like you did over there.

all i see is

walmart
Best buy
TRU
Target
Gamestop
etc.

none of those are small shops.

Interestingly enough, walmart seems to have taken down their snes classic page.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

We in Quebec won't be getting any - it seems like French language issues stuff.

If anyone in Canada outside of QC finds an extra one, I'll take it off your hands and pay you for your trouble.

Of course if you'd rather sell it on eBay...

I was helped (and helped some) in the past get similar items, so I'm just putting it out there! =)
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I read that too. If they knew what they were doing, theyd raise the price a bit, and keep making NES classics and Snes classics, until Demand is exhausted.

I bet theyd sell more this time than what they sold when the NES/SNES were new.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think you're underestimating just how popular the NES and SNES actually were.

As has been determined (not officially confirmed, but come on...) Nintendo are doing this to boost their brand. Offering these at a good deal is a great way to play the good guys, and avoid negative PR. They have a reputation for going at crazy prices, but it's not Nintendo selling them at those prices. They aren't selling these to gain immediate profit, they are doing it to keep the Nintendo brand in the news, and it's working like a charm.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:they are doing it to keep the Nintendo brand in the news, and it's working like a charm.
Well, stock holders are a thing they need to please.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I would be pleased
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:I would be pleased
I would get some expensive hookers to play with my Switch.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I wonder if this system has the potential to attract a very niche fanbase: the Nintendo haters.

I mean... Just how many here have stopped buying their stuff circa Gamecube days, without a regret?

Is there anyone in their sense willing to bet that at the end of Switch's lifecycle the system will be able to boost a twenty lineup like the one featured here. Hardly. (of course the same could be said for many, many systems that have launched after the SNES...)
X - P - B
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Turrican wrote:Is there anyone in their sense willing to bet that at the end of Switch's lifecycle the system will be able to boost a twenty lineup like the one featured here.
These games are good to fantastic, but let's not overdose on the nostalgia cocaine. Their place in the akashic records are a matter of being released during the early days of vidya games, without any real head to head competition.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yet many of them are still among the best of their genre, if not the best. This has nothing to do with Nostalgia - Contra 3, Chrono Trigger, Zelda 3 and Super Metroid hold up amazingly well today.

The real answer here is that in its time, the SNES was the major video game console on the market. Some areas saw solid competition from the MegaDrive, but mostly this was the equivalent of the later generations' PS2 or Xbox360, consoles which could easily spot an amazing lineup of 20+ games spread across their library. The biggest issue with the later Nintendo hardware was a much lower third party support, not Nintendo themselves. Give Nintendo haters any fuel you want, but giving up on them after the GameCube would have been a huge mistake - they have made some of their best games ever since them.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BryanM wrote:These games are good to fantastic, but let's not overdose on the nostalgia cocaine. Their place in the akashic records are a matter of being released during the early days of vidya games, without any real head to head competition.
Not sure I follow you on the competion thing... Surely there was competition back then? I guess the interesting bit of this 20 lineup is a study in monopoly practices: that is, we could probably come up with another 20 excellent titles for other systems of the era, but crucially not split among basically 4 big developers.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BryanM wrote:These games are good to fantastic, but let's not overdose on the nostalgia cocaine. Their place in the akashic records are a matter of being released during the early days of vidya games, without any real head to head competition.
Not sure I follow you on the competion thing... Surely there was competition back then? I guess the interesting bit of this 20 lineup is a study in monopoly practices: that is, we could probably come up with another 20 excellent titles for other systems of the era, but crucially not split among basically 4 big developers.[/quote]
Sumez wrote:The biggest issue with the later Nintendo hardware was a much lower third party support, not Nintendo themselves. Give Nintendo haters any fuel you want, but giving up on them after the GameCube would have been a huge mistake - they have made some of their best games ever since them.
I kinda disagree with this... In the SNES times they were playing by the rules, and offering the best possible exemplars of genres that have become classics. You can't really say the same after that: maybe the games they were doing were of even higher quality per se (pikmin), but they were decisively on a niche and quirky route (or on nostalgia laurels)... They went to dance alone and it's not just a question of third party enmity.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Fudoh wrote:GotG2 is Disney and Amazon doesn't offer preorders for Disney BDs atm. They're fighting over prices. Same reason why most current Disney BDs show as "usually ships within xx weeks", while they're in stock and ship out within days of your order.
A lack of preorders is one thing, but with multiple products, not just Disney ones, I signed up to be notified when a product was in stock and never got an email about the products being in stock when the products were back in stock. Frustrating that they don't have the option for products that marketplace sellers are selling either. Those XX weeks products didn't always ship out within days of my order. I waited a long time for Marvel Civil War due to a mistake on Amazon's part that kept the item from shipping out when it was in stock.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Turrican wrote:Not sure I follow you on the competion thing... Surely there was competition back then?
Golden Axe Warrior is no answer to Link to the Past!

But seriously, competition in entertainment back then was nothing compared to what it is today.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm not sure what the point is, in regards to competition?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

From what I gather, the original PlayStation was the first console to conquer all of the world. No console before it was that globally victorious. Likewise, games development costs escalated around that time.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

But did the games get better for that reason?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Games did things they were not doing before that. How good or bad it was is a matter of personal preference, but all of videogaming used to be about novelty. Retrogaming also originated around that time (thinking of The Adventure of Little Ralph here).
The way out is cut off

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

But do you think the games on the SNES Mini only stand out due to more solid competition at the time? I think that's the point Bryan was pushing, but I think that's a disservice to their quality. Considering only few other games have come close to the qualities of Super Metroid, Contra 3 or FF6 since they were made, despite having had more than 20 years to work with, I'd say that is good proof.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I would say Thief II did something of a next-gen Super Metroid for me, but for this to happen, much had to change. Even Super Metroid is an improved game when played with four trigger buttons instead of two. Bottomline is, one's opinion about game's quality remains just an opinion, regardless of how many share it.
The way out is cut off

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

how does having four shoulder buttons improve super metroid?