Raiden Fighters 1,2,Jet +Viper Phase 1 now playable in Mame!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

As soon as all major versions of MAME become updated to v0.93, the title of this thread should change to reflect this major breakthrough for shmup emulation.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Alluro wrote:As soon as all major versions of MAME become updated to v0.93, the title of this thread should change to reflect this major breakthrough for shmup emulation.
Still a bit to do, sprite priorities are a bit weird on some games but it's a a huge improvement. Look at the tanks on top of the shelters in Raiden Fighters f.ex.

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Ord wrote:I'll wait till the win32 version comes out.
don't wait, grab a frontend. I've been using EmuLoader for a while because I really dig the interface and the way it integrates with MAWS. It works fine with all Win32 builds of MAME, so you can use it with the latest build while still using it for FastMAME, Ek-MAMe, and MAME32FX

It's handy as hell.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Mame 0.93 documentation wrote:New Games / Clones supported:

Raiden Fighters [Nicola Salmoria, Ville Linde]
Raiden Fighters 2 [Nicola Salmoria, Ville Linde]
Raiden Fighters Jet [Nicola Salmoria, Ville Linde]
Viper Phase 1 [Nicola Salmoria, Ville Linde]
:D Many people have been waiting a long time to read those words.

Thread title updated...
kemical

Post by kemical »

wow :D:D:D

I just got done playing viper phase 1 (the real pcboard) and now i will go try it in mame and see if i have any better luck getting 100% on each level.
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Fuck...and I was going to finish all the work that I need to get done by tomorrow. Oh well.
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

I guess Dondopachi 2 Bee Storm would be the final piece of the puzzle for now. Dang so much good news and the new year has just begun, can wait for Piskyo Shooting Collection 3(Dragon Blaze) and GigiaWing Generations for PS2
poieo

Post by poieo »

I'd imagine things to be golden when Raiden 2, Raiden DX, and Sengeki Striker are playable. No one seems to like DDP2 very much.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

I wonder when Raiden II will be looked into again. I'd imagine cleaning up these SPI games would come firtst.

So yeah, I've loved RF and the old Raidens forever, but this release is the first I've played Raiden Fighters Jet, and Viper Phase 1. RFJ I'm very impressed with. I can tell we are going to be very good friends. Viper Phase 1 seems pretty disposable, but maybe I'll warm up to it.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I guess Dondopachi 2 Bee Storm would be the final piece of the puzzle for now.
It's been in for awhile. Bee Storm: Dodonpachi II, look it up. Or don't bother, it's fucking horrible, worst game I've ever played. Definitely not devved by Cave.

So far I think very little about raiden fighters 2...probably won't bother to upgrade mame for the new games. There's almost no bullets, it's way too easy. And I mean that in the least-bragging-est way, there's almost nothing to dodge. Perhaps because of the emulation?
kemical

Post by kemical »

i'm going to get killed for saying this.. but the last couple posts got me thinking.
but I generally find the whole raiden fighters series to feel pretty tacky and thrown together (when compared to awesome raiden 2 and 1/dx), I own raiden fighters and while I was excited to play it when I got it, it didn;t leave me feeling excited to continue playing it. Same thing happened with rf2 and jet just now, I played up to level 4 on jet on my first try.

On the other hand I own viper phase 1 and find that game feels very solid overall when compared to the raiden fighters games, plus it has way better composed music (i do enjoy styles similar to what rf has, but it's music is generally generic and helps add to the overall tacky thrown together feeling).

everyone has their own favorite games though, I'm happy these are finally playable in mame so more people can try them, and I'm going to continue playing the raiden fighters series anyway in hope of them growing on me.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Neon wrote:
I guess Dondopachi 2 Bee Storm would be the final piece of the puzzle for now.
It's been in for awhile. Bee Storm: Dodonpachi II, look it up. Or don't bother, it's fucking horrible, worst game I've ever played. Definitely not devved by Cave.
Erm, read up the game a bit and the protection in use...

edit - Edited because I figured you'd be too lazy to actually look into it and would rather bash the game without ever playing a real version of it:

(Taken from PGM.c in the MAME source)

Protection Devices / Co-processors

IGS used a variety of additional ASIC chips on the game boards, these act as protection and also give additional power to the board to make up for the limited power of the 68000 processor. Some protection devices use external data roms, others have internal code only.
Most of these are not emulated correctly.

...snip...

ASIC 27:
arm9? cpu with 64kb internal rom (different per game) + external data rom probably used to give extra power to the system, lots of calculations are offloaded to it

used by:
DoDonPachi II
Knights of Valor 2 / 2 Plus
Martial Masters
Demon Front
Puzzli II

too long; didn't read version: Playing Dodonpachi II in MAME right now and forming an opinion is similar to playing Raiden DX on Playstation set to the easiest setting and then making a concrete opinion on it.

Screenshots of enemies firing back

I've asked a few times in the past and it's low on the priority list of MAMEdev to get the protection running, but I guess that doesn't much matter to you since you've already made up your mind.

Edit #2
Neon wrote:You're implying it's not playable? Don't be silly. Get the rom and a recent mame (and the necessary bios file).
Ha ha, I was right.
Last edited by roushimsx on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Erm, read up the game a bit and the protection in use...
Edit: ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, it's a bit too glitchy to be judged at this point, though I dunno if that can save it from being labeled boring.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Neon wrote:
So far I think very little about raiden fighters 2...probably won't bother to upgrade mame for the new games. There's almost no bullets, it's way too easy. And I mean that in the least-bragging-est way, there's almost nothing to dodge. Perhaps because of the emulation?
That's just the 2000 revision. It's childishly easy for some reason. The proper version is alot harder, and alot more bullets. RF1 has fewer bullets, but they're quick (classic Raiden style) and RFJ pushes the bullets to almost Psikyo levels.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Man, the first Raiden Fighters is one of those games I have a mental block towards. For some reason, I've never managed to get past level 3, either in the arcade, or now in MAME. Guess I'll play a round or two before I hit the sack...

RFJ is interesting, though. Are there just a ton of levels? I went from 1 to 5 to 12, I think.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Tomtom wrote:Man, the first Raiden Fighters is one of those games I have a mental block towards. For some reason, I've never managed to get past level 3, either in the arcade, or now in MAME. Guess I'll play a round or two before I hit the sack...

RFJ is interesting, though. Are there just a ton of levels? I went from 1 to 5 to 12, I think.
There is no level 12 :) You have to do the simulated missions and based on how well you play you are sent upwards or downwards. Here is an old image of the stage progression:

The Kanjii is the start of the 'real' stages.

rtw
Defcon 5

Post by Defcon 5 »

Iam really curios about getting these things running on MameoX. I'll tell you the results after trying it.
Check out my Shooter Videos
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

This fileplanet shit is driving me insane. Can someone please send me a pm for a convenient place to get Mame32 v.93.

Better yet, email it to me @ cigsthecat @ hotmail.com.
rtw

Post by rtw »

cigsthecat wrote:This fileplanet shit is driving me insane. Can someone please send me a pm for a convenient place to get Mame32 v.93.

Better yet, email it to me @ cigsthecat @ hotmail.com.
This is where they will appear:

http://www.richpsx.com/mame/mame32_for_windows.htm

http://redump.emubase.de

rtw
Defcon 5

Post by Defcon 5 »

Thx had trouble with this crappy fileplanet too.
Check out my Shooter Videos
Soulo

Post by Soulo »

This fileplanet shit is driving me insane. Can someone please send me a pm for a convenient place to get Mame32 v.93.
I just uploaded it, might be others who don't like to use the fileplanet system and can't wait for other mame sites to put it on: http://home.planet.nl/~weije015/Mame32v.93_Binary.exe
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Soulo wrote:
I just uploaded it, might be others who don't like to use the fileplanet system and can't wait for other mame sites to put it on: http://home.planet.nl/~weije015/Mame32v.93_Binary.exe
Thanks very much.

Oh, and I abrasively demand everyone on the planet post in this thread or you will all die.
poieo

Post by poieo »

Now that they're playable, i'm not really sure how i feel about them as compared to RF2. There seem to be a lot of cheap tank deaths in RF, and for the life of me, i cannot find a ship i like in RF either.

RF2 i rather liked because it felt like a really smooth curve, whereas RFJ just kind of plops it all down on you. That whole slave medal deal pisses me off too, like i needed more stuff to worry about not touching.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

I will make more replays from the RF1 and RFJ and put them up hopefully by this weekend
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Perhaps it's just me, but does this series seem to have an issue with hidden bullets.....namely under the gratuitous explosions. Could be priority problems, or it could just be me, but it seems as if they're hidden most of the time. Anyone with the PCB care to compare?
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

i've got the same problem sometimes... there are hidden bullets after huge xplosions...... and u just die with a bullet commin from nowhere... but still, this games rox! (i've been waitin about 6 yrs to play RF on my PC! ... since i didnt knew the others anyways!).
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

poieo wrote:Now that they're playable, i'm not really sure how i feel about them as compared to RF2. There seem to be a lot of cheap tank deaths in RF, and for the life of me, i cannot find a ship i like in RF either.
I wouldn't say they're cheap deaths since they're perfectly avoidable. But RF has some really fast bullets, and you need to adjust your play style accordingly. Stay farther away from things. When I play RF after other shooters I do horribly because I get more aggressive than you can get away with.
poieo

Post by poieo »

Also, is it just me, or does the slave code for RF just not work?
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

poieo wrote:Also, is it just me, or does the slave code for RF just not work?
it doesn't here too :(
japtor

Post by japtor »

Perhaps it's just me, but does this series seem to have an issue with hidden bullets.....namely under the gratuitous explosions. Could be priority problems, or it could just be me, but it seems as if they're hidden most of the time. Anyone with the PCB care to compare?
dont have the pcb, and havent played it in the arcade in a while (or in mame for that matter), but im thinkin maybe it has to do with the incomplete graphics emulation, specifically the alpha channel. or some other graphical effect or glitch happening that shouldnt be, junk like that.