-

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ZellSF

Re: Ikaruga PC ver.

Post by ZellSF »

Keade wrote:
ZellSF wrote:Framerate limiting should not cause tearing at all. Remember vsync should still be on. Make sure that dynamic vsync or whatever AMD calls their equivalent is off.
The game inputs are laggy as long as I keep don't force Vsync off (Vsync control = Always off) + Lock frame rate up to monitor's refresh rate.
This seems to give good results: seemingly no tearing, and lower input lag \o/
Uh, did you actually try fullscreen+vsync on+framerate limiter in fullscreen?

Or are you saying it's tearing free for you in fullscreen with vsync off?
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

I get tearing with 60fps limited, but I get the least lag that way too. The tearing doesn't bother me much though. Unfortunately, sometimes the game will just suddenly speed up like when you turn vsync off, and won't go back down until I restart the game.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

The frame limiter didn't really change anything for me, only setting pre-rendered frames/flip-queue to 1 brought it down. Radeon Pro can even set it to 0 but that seemed to be the same as 1.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Thanks for all the testing people. With framelimit, vsync off and prerendered frames 1 in fullscreen the input lag feels close to the XBLA version for me. Some tearing but it's very rare.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

Frame limiter/ no vsync feels a little better to me too but the tearing is irritating for me. Would it be possible to theoretically force settings that would tax your card enough to naturally end up close to 60 fps? I tried 32xS multisampling and that ground the game to a halt but 16xS was still tearing enough to piss me off. Maybe underclocking would be a better idea...
darklegion

Post by darklegion »

You might try forcing triple buffered vsync. If the implementation is good (and not all of them are) input lag should be somewhere between vsync off and regular vsync.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Why would you think that? Triple buffered vsync means instead of normal vsync, which has 2 buffers (displayed and drawing), it has 3 (displayed, drawing, drawn and ready). That would add 1 more frame than vsync. Vsync would add a frame if your PC is unable to finish a frame in time for the next vertical refresh. Vsync off has zero buffering, but has tearing.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
darklegion

Post by darklegion »

I can't remember the technical details but in practice it tends to work better then double buffered vsync both with respect to input lag and framerates. I'll try and find the reasoning if I can. However, most D3D triple buffering implementations tends to work as badly as you suggest.

EDIT: A quick look at this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2 suggests that what you are talking of is the render queue method which does in fact introduce input lag. The page flipping method will drop older frames when they are no longer needed, so it won't be an extra buffer behind so to speak (among other things). Read the Updated section on the last page for a discussion about the render queue method and why it's bad.

Now whether or not there are any proper triple buffering implementations on Windows is another matter. You'd have to run some measurements yourself to see if they are using the page flipping method or the inferior render queue method.

Lastly, I'll will admit by technical understanding of it is not great. Feel free to read the anandtech article and point out any issues with it.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

I'm assume this will only work if you have a 120hz monitor (but I'm not display technology expert and am just learning this crap as I go along), I eliminated tearing in vsync off / limit 60 by changing the preferred refresh rate setting (located under "other" in nvidia inspector) to highest available instead of application controlled. On the minus side, I think it's doing what people would call "flickering".
cskcsk

Post by cskcsk »

Hi guys, just got a copy of the game on steam, Lets friend up. I am really bad at it though,would be nice to see how the other players here are doing http://steamcommunity.com/id/superbuns/
e_tank

Post by e_tank »

@darklegion: the page flip method you mention needs to be supported _properly_ by both your graphics drivers and the game itself, but seeing as ikaruga is designed to run at a fixed frame rate (well afaict based on the comments in this thread, it def was for the naomi/dc/gc versions) we know it can't take advantage of this. so enabling triple buffering will only increase the games response time.
ciox

Post by ciox »

cskcsk wrote:Hi guys, just got a copy of the game on steam, Lets friend up. I am really bad at it though,would be nice to see how the other players here are doing http://steamcommunity.com/id/superbuns/
The achievements don't really say much about your progress, just milestones like grades A/S++ for each stage, with some work I'm up to 48 chain on stage 1 myself and score is about 3mil before I kick the bucket somewhere early in stage 3.
Would like to know if there's a trick to that rapidly spinning wheel of black/white popcorns in stage 1, I lose my chain there unless I just leave it alone.
cskcsk

Post by cskcsk »

ciox wrote:
cskcsk wrote:Hi guys, just got a copy of the game on steam, Lets friend up. I am really bad at it though,would be nice to see how the other players here are doing http://steamcommunity.com/id/superbuns/
The achievements don't really say much about your progress, just milestones like grades A/S++ for each stage, with some work I'm up to 48 chain on stage 1 myself and score is about 3mil before I kick the bucket somewhere early in stage 3.
Would like to know if there's a trick to that rapidly spinning wheel of popcorns in stage 1, I lose my chain there unless I just leave it alone.
Theres also a friends leaderboard and the ability to download each others replays.
coturnixx

Post by coturnixx »

ciox wrote:
Would like to know if there's a trick to that rapidly spinning wheel of black/white popcorns in stage 1, I lose my chain there unless I just leave it alone.
I guess you mean the one just before the big black&white ships with 6 pods that shoot to the sides of the screen. I was having problems there too until i saw a replay, just go to the right side of the screen so your shoots won´t touch the enemies that appear in the center shortly afterwards, and blast the entire circle in one go. Start with a color, then just keep firing static while the circle rotates into your shot and you get and auto-4chain.
ciox

Post by ciox »

cskcsk wrote: Theres also a friends leaderboard and the ability to download each others replays.
That sounds useful actually.
coturnixx wrote:
I guess you mean the one just before the big black&white ships with 6 pods that shoot to the sides of the screen. I was having problems there too until i saw a replay, just go to the right side of the screen so your shoots won´t touch the enemies that appear in the center shortly afterwards, and blast the entire circle in one go. Start with a color, then just keep firing static while the circle rotates into your shot and you get and auto-4chain.
Yeah that makes sense, I think I walk into that area with 1-2 enemies destroyed out of 3 which makes it harder, so that's what I need to work on.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Probably obvious, but most ennemy patterns are multiple of 3 so that you can finish your chain before attacking the next one.
You will probably miss ennemies from time to time and so have to "skip" ennemies on purpose to catch up later, but this usually requires some improvisation and so it's much harder than a complete "clean" chain.
I often end up dying short afterwards any incomplete chain, because this pushes me to contentrate much more on ennemy patterns and less on the global picture or bullets, so I just crash onto stuff like an idiot :twisted:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The Ikaruga hi-scores thread could use some attention if you guys are getting good scores :wink:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

You need balls of steel, you must love puzzle games and be ok with idea of spending like 500+ hours in one, single player game... to become good at Ikaruga.

Pls, someone tell me what i'm overreacting :oops:
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

P_HAT wrote:You need balls of steel, you must love puzzle games and be ok with idea of spending like 500+ hours in one, single player game...
Name a single shmup on which this desciption doesn't fit and win a prize.

Hint: There is none.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Keade

Post by Keade »

Yep, this is what makes shmups different from many other games.
Performing a high score run is enjoyable, even when you know the game by heart and have put more hours into it than into your average "narrative" game.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Plasmo wrote:
P_HAT wrote:You need balls of steel, you must love puzzle games and be ok with idea of spending like 500+ hours in one, single player game...
Name a single shmup on which this desciption doesn't fit and win a prize.

Hint: There is none.
I'm sure there is some, with simple score mechannic(so no puzzles). Throw aside PC only games, hm, Gradius style games, Raiden? Some Cave games.

Of course depends on "how good you are". I'm bad so i don't think even 500 hours can help me :cry:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Just lifted some great hyperbole from youtube comments.

"Ikaruga is the perfect game. The only flaw is the player."

......and input lag on pc version...
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

Blinge wrote:Just lifted some great hyperbole from youtube comments.

There's also this review:

http://youtu.be/SfR3kxvjBvY

There may be lots of legit criticisms that you could apply to Ikaruga. This guy doesn't really have any of those, though. He says DoDonPachi (though he's actually talking about DDP DFK) is more fun because it has infinite credits!
chum

Post by chum »

I thought I recognized that voice and slack-jawed criticism... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDJlX0oASY

(Trying to gain views through trolling)
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

DocHauser wrote:
Blinge wrote:Just lifted some great hyperbole from youtube comments.

There's also this review:

http://youtu.be/SfR3kxvjBvY

There may be lots of legit criticisms that you could apply to Ikaruga. This guy doesn't really have any of those, though. He says DoDonPachi (though he's actually talking about DDP DFK) is more fun because it has infinite credits!

I'm surprised he didn't accuse the game of racism.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

mastermx wrote: I'm surprised he didn't accuse the game of racism.
Why would they do that? You have to shoot both colors in scoring, just you have to seperate it into groups of 3 instead of just shooting whenever.

Even in Radiant Silvergun where you'd focus on one enemy color, it'd still be a stupid thing to accuse the game of.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Why would they do that? You have to shoot both colors in scoring, just you have to seperate it into groups of 3 instead of just shooting whenever.
And exactly that's the problem with Ikaruga. As good old fashioned racism wasn't enough, this game takes it to the next level and doubles the amount of racism involved.

We all know that the Japanese hate all white and black people. Guess why there are no Japanese coloured enemies in this game! When I think about it, this would probably have tripled the racism...
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Trying to record a replay I made.
Man...no recording software that doesn't make the game lag and doesn't cost two arms and your balls. ;~;
Wonder if I can hook up my Avermedia to my laptop and just record the desktop footage.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Haha I can't believe this! Nice find!

I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to think like this. I really do hope that the post is some kind of satire. I refuse to believe anyone could be so stupid. :roll: