Pink Gorilla U-District in Seattle - Shmupmeet 10/02 @ 2pm!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
marus

Re: Shmups on location in Seattle @ Pink Gorilla (U-District)

Post by marus »

bobbyconover wrote:Also, this is a sort of weird grey area to bring up, so I'll try to tread lightly. Basically the enthusiast in me wants to say "throw a big party, have as many consoles set up as possible" etc. But at the same time I have to justify this to the store somehow, and I think they were assuming (as was I) that people meeting up at an arcade would mostly be playing on the arcade cabs. Obviously we don't have a superb shmup lineup so I totally understand bringing the Xboxes with Ketsui and Futari and whatever, but it gets kinda weird when we're talking about setting up, say, a free Espgaluda II next to our pay-to-play Espgaluda II. I don't want to say you shouldn't bring those games, since they have their console-specific modes and such, but I can't imagine people will choose to pay to play on the cab in that scenario? But then again if we have only a couple of consoles, a handful of arcade cabs, and 5-10 people (or more) show up, is it safe to assume everything will be getting played pretty evenly the whole time? Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I don't want to seem like I'm only in it for the money (if I were I would've bailed out long ago!) but I think it's something to keep in mind if we want to stay in the good graces of all the other people at PG and potentially make this a regular thing. A small spike in earnings would definitely go a long way toward making a case for a monthly/quarterly/whatever shmup gathering at the arcade.
No, that's a completely legitimate concern. Certainly I don't want the console setups to take away from the arcade, especially when you and PG were nice enough to accommodate us. I imagine that any console games we have setup will be unique from what's setup in the arcade, and while I can't speak for everyone, I plan on playing on the cabinets quite a bit.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

bobbyconover wrote: As for fighters, IIDX etc I'd personally vote no only because it takes away from the focus of the gathering, even though we're all gamers and do cross over in various areas. I just don't think we're equipped to have this turn into a mini Sakuracon gaming room just yet. The back room is totally not an option right now either, sadly, as it's packed super-mega-full with cabinets and various store goods.
Yeah I thought I'd just throw that out there, but it is a shmupmeet afterall so we can make it just shmups. As for the cabs, I much prefer playing the games on those than the ports anyways, and I think overall those games are going to see a lot more revenue then they normally do on that day :)
wnka

Post by wnka »

I think I'll hold off on bringing my CRT since it sounds like we have enough stuff for the space. If there turns out to have a need, I live close by so I can duck out and grab it if needed.

Also, I have a Sanwa that I pulled out of my TF stick that I can part with.
marus

Post by marus »

Cool, list is updated. Also, since there's plenty of people bringing sticks, I'd say don't feel obligated to swap out parts for other people's sakes if you don't want to. Personally, while I prefer Seimitsu, I have no problem playing on Sanwa (or keyboard for that matter - no pads though :lol: )
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

marus wrote:I'd say don't feel obligated to swap out parts for other people's sakes if you don't want to. Personally, while I prefer Seimitsu, I have no problem playing on Sanwa (or keyboard for that matter - no pads though :lol: )
Good to know Marus, especially since most people are offering up Sanwa parts! But no, these won't be swap-outs, these will be used for some new candy cabs I just got in that have terrible (in most cases downright broken) controls. I have a lot of work to do on the cabs if I want any of them to be ready for the meet, so the sticks and buttons will go a long way toward helping them along. :)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

bobbyconover wrote:
marus wrote:I'd say don't feel obligated to swap out parts for other people's sakes if you don't want to. Personally, while I prefer Seimitsu, I have no problem playing on Sanwa (or keyboard for that matter - no pads though :lol: )
Good to know Marus, especially since most people are offering up Sanwa parts! But no, these won't be swap-outs, these will be used for some new candy cabs I just got in that have terrible (in most cases downright broken) controls. I have a lot of work to do on the cabs if I want any of them to be ready for the meet, so the sticks and buttons will go a long way toward helping them along. :)
Do you need buttons too? I've got some of those too if you need them.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

bobbyconover wrote:
Are you going to have more than the usual 4 candy cabs then? If you really need input controls for them, I have a Sanwa JLF and 6white/2black sanwa buttons from the stock TE stick that I could lend for the meet. One day I want to make a PS2 stick with them but I'm a bit broke atm so its not happening anytime soon. Cool that you got more candy's, what kind are they, Astro City?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

marus wrote:PS2:
Dodonpachi Daioujou
Espgaluda
Mushihimesama
Shikigami no Shiro: Nanayouzuki Gensoukyoku (lol)
Don't see PS2 Ibara there, I can bring that in case anybody's in the mood to play it. Perhaps PS2 Twinkle Star Sprites too, as it's good for multiplayer gatherings.

I can also bring a 100% Seimitsu 360 stick (slightly modified Hori RAP EX-SE), and I have a few spare Seimitsu buttons in case they're needed (I think I have 4 extras). Seems Sanwas are plentiful, but I can always toss a handful of them in my bag too.

Getting excited! Will we have a formal event details confirmation post - starting time, any particular rules to live by, etc?
wnka wrote:I live nearby and would be willing to bring my 13" PVM
Thumbs up for the same monitor I use for my low-res needs! Such a lovely little flat-sided cube, and with handles!
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

I have a copy of Mushi on the PS2, and a PS2 with Swap Magic 3.6. I might stop by a little early, but I can stay as long as needed.

Anyone willing to do some trades while we're there with our collections? I'm hoping to trade Mushi for ESP Galuda, myself.
marus

The Official Unofficial Confirmation Post

Post by marus »

Pacific Northwest Shmupmeet!
  • U-District Pink Gorilla Store + Arcade, University Ave N Seattle, WA 98105
  • Satruday, September 11, from 5:00pm until whenever we get kicked out
  • Play some shmups and hang out with awesome people who share a common interest with you!
This event is open to everyone, so if you have time then please feel free to stop by and hang out!

Facebook Event Page
Pink Gorilla Website
Pink Gorilla Arcade Facebook page (includes game list)
Current list of donated equipment

General Rules:
1) Don't be a jerk
2) Treat the equipment with respect - all of the equipment is being donated by fellow forum members for us to share, so treat them as if they're your own.
3) Whatever else Bobby and the PG staff want to add - it's their arcade, and they were generous enough to accommodate us and even agreed to keep the arcade open late just for this event, so please listen to whatever they say and respect their rules.

I think as far as rules go, if you just use common sense and treat everyone with respect then there shouldn't be any problems. Bobby, if you want to add anything specific (like about food or whatever) then let me know and I'll update this post. Also, do you think you could update the thread title with the date for the meet? That should help raise awareness.
Last edited by marus on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Sounds good Marus, I just created an event on Facebook if anyone wants to RSVP!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=145469432158954

As for PG specific rules, I can't really think of any offhand, but I'll let you all know if anything comes to mind. And as for food, I guess we can just kinda play that by ear? I figured we could all order pizzas or we could all go out somewhere, whatever works.
marus

Re: Pink Gorilla U-District in Seattle - Shmupmeet 9/11 @ 5pm!

Post by marus »

Nice, I like the writeup on Facebook. About the food, something like pizza or going out sounds good. I just wasn't sure how you felt about having food in the arcade area.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Well I think drinks are fine since no ones yelled to me about that yet :mrgreen: ordering out pizza sounds good so we'll have more time to play games, just be prepared for some very greasy panels (plentiful napkins/paper towels will help).
10 Attending, 208 Awaiting Reply
Shit, PG already gets a bit crowded on saturdays, we may have some fire code violations here :lol:
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Is trading OK, or would that be a stupid idea?
marus

Post by marus »

I see nothing wrong with that.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

But we should at least give notice ahead of time of what we want to give away, and what we want for ourselves.

Here's a start:
Willing to Give:
Mushihimesama (PS2)
Requested:
ESPGaluda (PS2)

Please say what you're willing to volunteer!
marus

Post by marus »

Well my list is super simple:

Requested:
EVERYTHING
Willing to give:
uhhh...

EDIT: In all seriousness, I have some tournament DVDs for various fighting games (the entire EVO collection, some SBO, and various others) if anyone's interested. I'm not currently looking for anything in particular though.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Last minute scramble! I'll be at the arcade all night trying to get stuff ready and moving machines around into an arrangement that hopefully works OK for us. There's not a lot of room but we'll make it work somehow! I'm sorry in advance if I'm totally out of it at the meet, because I probably won't be getting more than a couple hours of sleep. :)

I was wondering, does anyone have any decent photo or video equipment they could bring to help capture some of this? I would love to get some footage of the meet-up. The camera doesn't have to be anything crazy good, just something better than the video mode on a digital camera (or worse yet a cell phone). Bonus points for anyone with a tripod. Shooting some "tatsujin" videos would be awesome and believe me, having done it once, it's tough to hold that camera steady through a 20 minute game.
marus

Post by marus »

I do have a video camcorder. It's pretty old (it takes Digital8 8mm tapes) but it works. I'll bring it if no one offers to bring anything better. Unfortunately I don't have a tripod.

I hope you all are hype for this! I'll be there a little early to help... uhh... warm up the machines :P
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Hmm, that could work. Another guy offered to bring some equipment as well but he might not be showing up until later, if at all, and I really can't pick it up from him because I desperately need to get a few hours of sleep. Yes, I'm still up from yesterday..

There are some big surprises I'm just now working out the last details of, too, so if people aren't excited already, they should be! :)
marus

Post by marus »

Dude, get some sleep! I'll have my camcorder, so yeah!
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

I'll try to be there earlier too, maybe around 4-4:30 ish? If one of you guys can help me unload stuff quickly from the street in front of the store that'd be great.
wnka

Post by wnka »

Just FYI, there's a UW football game today at 4pm which might impact traffic and parking in the area. It will also flood the streets with people wearing purple.

See y'all there!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Just wanted to drop a quick note to Bobby thanking him for getting everything set up and getting hold of a whole bunch of candy cabs and loading them up with great Cave games (The big hit of the night seemed to be Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu, with quite a few others making appearances as well,) and to everyone else for coming out. A lot of these games I had never played before, and I especially enjoyed Espgaluda (the first one), which I had never had a chance to play before tonight. I must say the PCB versions of Espgaluda 2 and Daifukkatsu are a lot harder than the iPhone versions...

I unfortunately only have crummy cameraphone pics, but other pics and videos should be coming soon.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

It was great being there, and while I saw a suspicious lack of pizza, that probably just indicates that everyone was too busy socializing and shmupping to care about nutrition... which is good. The turnout was kind of small, but I had a great time and would love to attend next time we schedule a meet. Thanks for your dedication, Bobby, and thanks for being there, everybody.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

RNGmaster wrote:I had a great time and would love to attend next time we schedule a meet. Thanks for your dedication, Bobby, and thanks for being there, everybody.
Well said, last night was great. I was happy to finally meet some other shmup fans face to face, there was some impressive skills on display last night. Thanks Bobby for gathering, repairing, and setting up so many candy cabs, and then filling them with some of Cave's finest. I hope last night was as successful as you and PG people wanted it to be. I'm definitely looking forward to the next meet-up (hopefully I can stay longer next time!), in the meanwhile time to start practicing and saving up those quarters.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Here's a small video showing the arcade layout for the meet. This was taken as people started to leave, which is why it looks so empty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efx4LiRNYkk

This was the first time seeing most of these games for me, and I was amazed at how far shmups have come since the 90's. It was also awsome to see a whole line of candy cabs in person. A big thank you to Bobby, and those that helped to set everything up!
marus

Post by marus »

Thanks to everyone that came out. We had a pretty good showing, and I had a really good time being able to hang out with other players. I think as a whole the event turned out really well. The row of candy cabs, as well as Daifukkatsu and Pork were a really nice surprise as well! Here's a big thanks to Bobby for working so hard to get everything set up for us!

Here are a few pictures I took (warning, they're fairly large):
Last edited by marus on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marus

Post by marus »

Considering how this first meet turned out well, I'd like for this to grow into a regular event. For the next one, does October 2nd (Saturday) sound like a good day for everyone? And if this grows into a regular event, what kind of time frame between meets would you prefer - like once a month, or once every six weeks? Also, we (Bobby, EPS21, and I) were thinking of starting a bit earlier next time, since we had the highest attendance during the afternoon hours.

Another idea: We were also talking about starting a sort of PG tournament league where every meet we hold a side tournament for a shmup, where how you place in the tourney contributes to an ongoing ranking that would be posted in the arcade. Would any of you guys be interested in something like this? If you all think this is a good idea, then we can get started on planning out the format and rules, and hopefully have a test run at the next meet.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Tournament sounds great, as does an earlier start time. Saturday is pretty much free for me, but it means I'll have to cram in schoolwork on Sunday. Therefore, widely spaced events (at least six weeks) would be more convenient.

Another idea is bringing computers. Plenty of freeware shmups that are worth playing, and I imagine some of us have USB sticks. I suggest Crimzon Clover, Eden's Aegis, and Blue Wish Resurrection. I don't think any of them have a tate mode, but we have enough chairs and tables to make it worthwhile. More games and TVs in general, too - does anyone have Recca?

I also suggest bringing something to record scores with, be it a camera or a sheet of paper. We need to record some of the crazier feats, and this thread would also be a convenient place to archive them for posterity.