Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

spadgy wrote:You coming to the London Shmup meet Tigershark?
Would love to by can't as:

1. My "skills" are probably very poor by everyone elses standards;

2. I'm married to a Norwegian who simply doesn't understand my fascination in this kind of stuff;

3. I have kids;

4. Where we meeting?
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

It won't be an XBLA game in the US & Europe.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

PepsimanVsJoe wrote:It won't be an XBLA game in the US & Europe.
why so sure about that?!

d'you think there's gonna b a dvd release of the game then?

How long did it take for the RAIDEN III Game US/EUR Release after the JPN release ?
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

new trailer available:

http://www.gamekult.com/video/8695603/

I've read somewhere that It will be released on March 13th in Japan but NCSX has a release date of March 27th.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Thanks for the link, yojo!

The March 13th date may have been from an old source, as Success say the game is currently scheduled for release on March 27th.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

got a buck says it's japan only- sadly enough.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The video seems to confirm the presence of tate mode, if nothing else - guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find out much more than that on it. Anyone with a J360 planning on getting this?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Yes, tate option confirmed! I think I'd rather invest in a J360 than in the PCBs. The price is comparable and the risks for hardware failure about even. Plus: KETSUI!!!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

professor ganson wrote: I think I'd rather invest in a J360 than in the PCBs. The price is comparable and the risks for hardware failure about even. Plus: KETSUI!!!
The resolution is not the same, and the PCBs will last much longer than an X360.

Still, I'd definitely pick up this game if I had a JP X360.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

We could get lucky and it'll get an Asian release, most of them seem to be region free according to play-asia.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

EOJ wrote:
professor ganson wrote: The resolution is not the same, and the PCBs will last much longer than an X360.
Good point. My XBOX I bought at launch recently died on me. Most of my PCBs are from the 90s and I've yet to have one fail on me.
jp

Post by jp »

I wish this was region free. :cry:

Bah, looks like I'll bite the bullet and snag a JP 360 in the near future.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
undamned

Post by undamned »

EOJ wrote:the PCBs will last much longer than an X360
No moving parts = good.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Source?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Necronom wrote:
Source?
Can you name any JP exclusive disc-based X360 game that got a US & Europe XBLA release?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Battlesmurf wrote:got a buck says it's japan only- sadly enough.
Both Fighters and Vanilla series Raiden are well known enough in the U.S. that it is definitely possible. I can find a RF machine here in still-frozen Fargo, ND if I try hard enough. Whoever would bring it over just needs to release it at a near budget price and not pull a Ubi-Senko.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

BulletMagnet wrote:The video seems to confirm the presence of tate mode, if nothing else - guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find out much more than that on it.
The video confirms a few other options in the Screen Setting menu (visible at 1:21) : Game Speed (set at 60 FPS in the video), Smoothing (set to Bicubic in the video), and Over Scan [image scaling] (set to 25% in the video). I don't know how flexible the Game Speed option will be, but I dig it.
Segafan4life
Banned User

Post by Segafan4life »

Pre ordering this as soon as I have the money.

Cannot wait to play Raiden Fighters on something other then my Cab or Mame.

Achievements W00T!
No One Will Hire Me Because I Work At Wal Mart
zakk

Post by zakk »

incognoscente wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:The video seems to confirm the presence of tate mode, if nothing else - guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find out much more than that on it.
The video confirms a few other options in the Screen Setting menu (visible at 1:21) : Game Speed (set at 60 FPS in the video), Smoothing (set to Bicubic in the video), and Over Scan [image scaling] (set to 25% in the video). I don't know how flexible the Game Speed option will be, but I dig it.
That's kinda interesting, since the RF* games are not 60Hz in their original form, so I wonder if there's some weird option to use the 'original' refresh rate? If anyone is wondering, the hardware is actually 54hz vertical refresh.

Makes it annoying to vid cap!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

? If anyone is wondering, the hardware is actually 54hz vertical refresh.
I was wondering the same thing. It was a major problem on the PS1 Raiden conversions which had visible studder in the background due to the adapted speed and the fact that the system's running on 60hz. The 360 is locked to 60Hz as well, so they can either speed the game up (which is obviously possible) or have to deal with the scrolling in some way. I really hope they found some way to make the 54hz scrolling background smooth on 60Hz displays....
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

So, will this option adjust the method the system adapts for converting 54 Hz to 60 Hz, or is it possible that it'll offer a 54 Hz mode (don't think that's possible)?

In any case, judder on my 60 Hz screen has never bothered me in the RF games.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I wish these were released as XBLA games, that way we might stand a better chance of getting these awesome shmups.

But why no Wii or PS2 releases when more people in Japan own both, and the 360 is in last place? Same for Ketsui and Daioujou Black Label X. :?:
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

The only bad thing about XboxLiveArcade is that there is 150MB limit that a game can be. I'm not saying shmups are known to have large file sizes(for example: R-Type Final = 3GIGs) but putting these games on discs leaves room for much more storage.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Confused by that. If a game can only be 150MB on Live, then that's not much taken out of your drive, that R-Type Final sized shmup won't be available with Live and so putting it on a disc is the only option.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

EOJ wrote:
Necronom wrote:
Source?
Can you name any JP exclusive disc-based X360 game that got a US & Europe XBLA release?
Are you gonna ask me this question if this turns out to be the first title?

Though, after the announcement of 1942, and considering the upcoming Ikaruga, MS (or whoever in charge) will probably choose the let's wait and see approach with this one anyway.

@Ed Oscuro

"Capcom has a solid relationship with both Sony and Microsoft, as evidenced by the amount of titles we have released for the two systems, both at retail and digitally. Given the huge amount of content going into Bionic Commando Rearmed and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (turns out, hand-drawn art takes up a lot of space at 1080p!), Microsoft has allowed Capcom to work with a larger file size limit for both games."

Source: http://blog.capcom.com/archives/1011

Rules can be bend if there's a good reason for it it seems.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Yes, Capcom has inked a deal with Microsoft to bypass the size limit but Microsoft claims they still want the generic rule to be 150MB standard for developers. Capcom is a huge videogame company so its easier for them to bend the rules. Especially releasing Street Fighter 2 HD which should be a huge hit for the LIVE community.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Necronom wrote:
EOJ wrote:
Necronom wrote: Source?
Are you gonna ask me this question if this turns out to be the first title?
Of course not. I have no idea why you're even asking me this.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

sideshow wrote:Yes, Capcom has inked a deal with Microsoft to bypass the size limit but Microsoft claims they still want the generic rule to be 150MB standard for developers. Capcom is a huge videogame company so its easier for them to bend the rules. Especially releasing Street Fighter 2 HD which should be a huge hit for the LIVE community.
I guess you're right, big companies will have it easier but imo a lot of gamers think that allowing devs to come up with any size will automatically result in better looking games which I think doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I'm not a game designer so everything I write are nothing but (hopefully) educated guesses.
I'm pretty sure though this specific size limit is there for a (good) reason and might even have some advantages in the long run.
First of all, XBLA was never designed with PS2 style games in mind, it really is all about smaller projects that can be downloaded pretty fast and don't take up too much space on the hd which is rather small, unless you own an Elite unit. Letting the size limit go will undermine this concept especially as more and more games get released so the competition grows.
Another reason for this kind of size limit might also be MS's efforts to keep ALL the xbla releases available for as long as they can. PSN might be a more open environment but it lacks unification so expect to have stuff disappear much faster than on xbla. Having an hd failure in 2 to 3 years time might result here (PSN) in a rather unpleasant situation of loosing lots of games that you actually paid for. I once asked the main man behind the german xbox division the question how long they plan to keep xbla titles available and he couldn't aswer the question but compared to sony's network they have at least some kind of unification which should make keeping titles available easier.
My point in all this is that those restrictions, while sometimes problematic, are overall a reasonable thing to have, keeping the "game" fair (you can pump lots of resources into the development of your title but you can't stuff it full of fmv and tell the people "you're getting more for your money here") and helping MS in making them available for a longer time.
What does this have to do with the Raiden Fighters Comp? If it stays a JP-only disc release probably not much although the possibility of a later xbla release for us westerners hasn't been ruled out anywhere. In fact, if the current (and upcoming) shmups and boarderliners turn out profitable MS will consider releasing more of them and nothing is easier (and cheaper) than releasing something that's already finished and running just fine.
hirounder

Post by hirounder »

Someone shot video of RFA demo in Akihabara, looks like packed with options
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=mEjOd79gHDE
That demo should be coming to japanese marketplace next week aswell.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Armour settings, Medal edit, replays, all kinds of resolutions and screen orientations...the amount of options is impressive. Thanks for the link.