The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
viewtifulzfo

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by viewtifulzfo »

Hiyo. Long time lurker, occasionally searching for information regarding one game or another.

Got into shmups around the late 2000s when I purchased a JP PS2 for the purpose of playing DOJ. Since then, have been dropping in/out of the genre since. Haven't really gotten a 1CC yet, but Eschatos seems to be drawing me back into the genre...enough so that I went full shmup for a JP Xbox 360 recently and haven't looked back since.

Nothing much else to say!
Nameschonvergeben

Post by Nameschonvergeben »

Hi, I like playing Touhou and I'm interested in shmups of all kinds.
I started playing roughly a year ago, so I'm very bad. Please don't bully me too much though
Robohobobro

Post by Robohobobro »

Mystical greetings!

I'm Robo, a long-time lurker myself as well. I'm a huge fan of the more light-hearted shmups, like Parodius and Twinbee, and I'm currently working on a cute'em'up myself! It's been a lot of fun, and has made me look at shmups in a whole new light.

My shmup history consists mostly of the aforementioned SNES Parodius' and Twinbee and some doujin shmups. The shmup that really hooked me was Blue Wish Resurrection+, which as of this moment is still my only 1CC but hopefully I'll fix that one of these days. Another doujin shmup that I really enjoyed was the legendary Cho Ren Sha 68k, which is still kicking my butt.
I tried playing Touhou 6 at the time as well, but I found Touhou to be a tad too slow-paced for my tastes. I like my shmups to be more on the faster side. That said, Touhou does have one of the other qualities that especially drew me to shmups: the pretty bullet patterns.

Currently I'm playing on-and-off Muchi Muchi Pork. I guess that's about all the relevant info about me, so I'll stop here. See ya 'round!
harveybirdman

Post by harveybirdman »

No one will read this, but hello nevertheless

Building a JAMMA Multi-SHMUP, coming here to learn stuff

If you care to check out my build it's over on BYOAC

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 400.0.html
THIS GUY Sucks at SHMUPS

My JAMMA Cabinet: BulletReign
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Welcome harveybirdman! I think I've been on arcadecontrols longer than here, but I haven't posted there in ages.
harveybirdman

Post by harveybirdman »

Dave_K. wrote:Welcome harveybirdman! I think I've been on arcadecontrols longer than here, but I haven't posted there in ages.
You're not missing much Dave, lots of arcade playing furniture being built these days.

Thanks for the welcome, hoping to get schooled in SHMUP 101 here, and find some deals on PCBs.
THIS GUY Sucks at SHMUPS

My JAMMA Cabinet: BulletReign
Helder

Post by Helder »

Hi guys, new here to the forum.... well I've been here a few times over the years but thought I'd officially join and be a part of the community here. Some of you may know me from Assembler's Forum and the 3D sockets used in the NESRGB Mods.
Jman

Post by Jman »

Hi'

Been a long time reader on this forum, but finally decided to create a user. Looking to pick up a couple of new PCB's for my collection. :-) By the way ... cant seem to find the Trade forums. Do you need special permission for that?

Regards
Jan
StarMolf

Post by StarMolf »

I just found this forum, I was bored and googled SHMUP forum and this popped up. I play a lot of games, and am a hopeful future game developer. Finishing up a degree in Computer Science here in the States, and in the off time I play an obscene amount of games. I was introduced to the genre (and games as a whole) with my dad's NES version of Galaga. While I play a lot of different games, I usually stick to my STGs for the downtime between big releases.

Difficult to pin point some of my faves, I would have to say Gradius V, Armed Police Batrider and Ikaruga.
Opus131

Post by Opus131 »

Old school PC gamer that got burned by the current decline in western gaming (which between AAA "cinematic" experiences barely disguised as games and pretentious hipster indie crap is probably past beyond saving at this point) and ended up getting hooked on shmups after i was introduced to them by a friend.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome to the fold. May all your credits be 1ccs.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Wasserkopp

Post by Wasserkopp »

So I'm Wasserkopp, i joined and thought I'd respond to stuff here and there...
Vidsneezes

Post by Vidsneezes »

Hi :twisted: just recently had a stint with that one game DoDonPachi, first time playing it.
I don't know if i was playing it to beat scores or the game but i really like dodging bullets and
memorizing the levels. After that i played Jamestown. Now i'm really addicted to games
were you can memorize the levels specially, not so much the ones that do random stuff.

I don't know, it's something about playing and automatically remembering when to dodge
without thinking it. It really makes me feel good :oops:

I started my own little shmup too.
crabfists

Post by crabfists »

Hi, I am crabfists. Been lurking here a while but I thought I would come out a bit more in the open and introduce myself. I've been a gamer since the VIC-20 days and I am still as passionate and obsessed about video games as I was back then. I love shooters (obviously) and most genres and I play contemporary games and more recently I have been playing a lot more 8 and 16 bit era games.

My recent obsession has been getting the authentic CRT experience. It has taken a few years to realise playing retro games on an LCD TV leaves me emotionally cold. It wasn't until I bought a 5 year old Sony 20L4 PVM that I finally found the nostalgic warm feeling that had been missing. Now I don't think I could go back.

I recently bought an RGB modded SNES mini and an RGB modded PC Engine and I have been having the most fun I have had for years. So much so that my PS4 has not been turned on in a few months.

I am a games programmer by profession and occasionally dabble with homebrew but haven't done anything for a while.

Anyway, this place is great. Thanks for having me here. :)
zionfarm

Hello everybody Kelly from Seoul here

Post by zionfarm »

Sup everybody,

Been a long time reader of the forums but never said anything just read and followed. So here is my first post, military guy stationed in Korea at the moment and loving it. Looking forward at getting me a couple good shumps, I picked Twinbee Deluxe pack for the Sega Saturn and just love it. I have been into games since 1989 when me and my older brother got a NES. I have followed games like R-Type, Gradius, The Guardian Legend and the Capcom Arcade Cabinet on the PS3. I will be getting my NES/SNES mini, and my Sega Saturn modded once I save up the money or get back to the states. For right now I am using my Retron 5 to play all my old school cartridge based games in my room on my Playstation 3D Display TV that I picked up at a pawnshop back in Tucson AZ before I left for Korea late last year. The game selection is almost entirely Japanese games over here of course. But some of the vendors/sales guys over over price the games with the rise of old school gaming. Its funny though when I show them a item on Ebay that is way cheaper than what they are selling it for. They will most of the time bring the price down to make a sale with you. Can't wait to head back to the states and pick up a Sony BVM/PVM for all my 240p games. Talk to you guys soon.
Kalt_is_my_name

Post by Kalt_is_my_name »

Hey all, relative newbie here. Just started playing DoDonPachi, Dangun Feveron, and Battle Garrega. I've also messed around a bit with Game Maker just for fun, but I haven't made anything polished (I suck at art). Current record for DoDonPachi is around 21cc, no bombs.. so yeah, I'm no expert :P

I have to say, getting into danmakus was WAY easier than I expected. A lot of "hardcore" games are just frustrating and confusing to new players, but as soon as you see bullets flying towards you you know exactly what to do, and you're always aware of how you could do better.
gusmoney

Post by gusmoney »

I have always enjoyed playing shmups (especially horizontal), however, my understanding of some of the vastly popular games out of JP have eluded me.

So, I am here to try and buff up my knowledge of what I am missing.

Grateful for this place, thanks.
RecklessRave

Post by RecklessRave »

Hello all,

I have been lurking these forums for a little bit, especially for information on the recent Mushihimesama port, DariusBurst CS, and various other strategy and guide topics for the handful of games I already have. I am a hardcore rhythm gamer (mostly Bemani), but I got into shmups several months ago because sometimes I felt the need the dodge insane patterns rather than hit them. I am very disillusioned by the AAA gaming industry and have vastly differing opinions on games than those around me, who are AAA gamers, so it is nice to come here and read posts from people who appreciate the experience of arcade-style games and furthering skills and progressing through self-improvement.

Right now my shmupping skills are very lousy, my greatest "accomplishments" at this point are Original and Maniac 1CCs in Mushihimesama....on Novice, lol.
Graymaster Nacelle

Post by Graymaster Nacelle »

Hi, I'm not too much of a gamer, but i've played a few and this looked like an interesting place to check out...
NeTaXe

Post by NeTaXe »

Hi All, greetings from the Netherlands!

Been visiting these forums quite often but never really posted or introduced myself. So better late than never :)

I started collecting arcade games about 15 years ago, 1st Neo Geo MVS and later quite a few other platforms from that same time period onwards. While I have lots of non-shmups, the shmup genre is definitely my favorite. Got 3 cabs, a Super Neo 29 currently mostly used for my Jamma PCBs, a Sega Naomi Universal (Chopped) for JVS and finally a Neo 19 dedicated for MVS :)

Besides being a gamer I'm kind of a techy as well, have done quite a few repairs over the years so hope I can contribute with the knowledge I gained.

Please see below for a quick overview of the shmups in my collection at the moment.

CPS1
  • Area 88
    Carrier Airwing
    Chariot (Three Wonders)
CPS2
  • 1944 The Loop Master
    Eco Fighters
    Giga Wing
    Mars Matrix
    Progear no Arashi
Irem
  • R-Type II
    In The Hunt
    Mystic Riders
    R-Type Leo
Konami
  • Parodius DA!
    Gokujyou Parodius
    Sexy Parodius
Sega Naomi
  • Border Down
    Chaos Field
    Giga Wing 2
    Zero Gunner 2
Neo Geo
  • Aero Fighter 2
    Aero Fighter 3
    Alpha Mission II
    Andro Dunos
    Blazing star
    Captain Tomaday
    Ghost Pilots
    Iron Clad
    Last Hope
    Last Resort
    Prehistoric Isle 2
    Pulstar
    Strikers 1945 Plus
    Twinkle Star Sprites
    View Point
    Zed Blade
Last edited by NeTaXe on Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MRydralle

Post by MRydralle »

Greetings to all.

Some might already know me from the IRC channel from recent days, but I finally made an account here.

MRydralle, 21, Brazil. Relatively new to playing shmups not-casually. My first shmup was Compile's Space Megaforce / Super Aleste, which I came to no-miss around a decade later when I came back to shmups after watching videos of them.

I'm not able to import because taxes around here are too high, so I tend to play Steam shmups more. My favorite shmup is Edelweiss's Astebreed, which is what I play during most of the time and the only game I mustered up the courage to score-chase instead of just stopping after the 1cc.

Outside of the aforementioned Astebreed, I'm currently playing TAITO's DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours, Team Grybanser Fox's Zenohell, YOTSUBANE's Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION and Cave's Mushihimesama. Thoroughly enjoying each and every one of them!

Well, when it comes to shmups, that's al. Pleased to meet you all! Here's hoping for a good time.
Inactive.
RoboticPotato

Post by RoboticPotato »

Hi! I'm Alex. I just discovered this forum I'm currently developing a game called "Space Cats In Space!" that I hope you'll all get a chance of playing it. Great meeting you all!
d0s

Post by d0s »

Hi I'm dos, I've lurked here forever but finally decided to start posting. I probably know a lot of you from various IRC channels, SA, and other forums. I used to scan lots of old Japanese game related stuff and post it here if anyone recognizes it. I'm a huge Compile freak, I grew up with a TG-16 with Blazing Lazers and Devil's Crush and I've amassed a large collection of Compile Crap over the years. Also into retro PCs (X68K, MSX, Amiga) and old hardware in general. I'm also pretty obsessed with caravan shooters, r-type, and the milestone games.

I'm in the NYC area which I just moved back to after spending most of my adult life (I'm 32) in south florida and while I've watched my lifelong hobby of messing with old games on real hardware blow up over the years (the prices, WTF is going on with the prices??) it seems like something very few people around here are into. I think I decided to start posting here just to know I'm not the only person left on earth who still likes simple action games, which is what it feels like here sometimes. Every time I meet someone into games there's a glimmer of hope until I ask what kind and get the inevitable "mostly MMOs". This city is full of boring ass people with poor reflexes!
SYJourney

Post by SYJourney »

Hey all,
I remember this forum from when I first got into shmups, but I don't think I ever made an account. Recently the shmup fever hit me again and so I guess it would be a good time to register one.
I've been playing some credits here and there, trying to actually score in some games a bit instead of plain survival. Right now I'm mainly playing DOJ WL and PS in MAME (too poor to afford a console :oops: ).
Some personal stuff: I'm 22 years old, study CS at university and I currently live in frankfurt (germany). Hope to see you all in the forums~
juonryu2nd

Post by juonryu2nd »

Welcome.
SYJourney wrote:and I currently live in frankfurt (germany).
Oder or Main? I lived in Main for all of my life.
SYJourney

Post by SYJourney »

juonryu2nd wrote:Welcome.
SYJourney wrote:and I currently live in frankfurt (germany).
Oder or Main? I lived in Main for all of my life.
Thanks, and same, Main.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Been meaning to post here sometime. So, I'm Russian but I usually hide that. Don't forget the bomb.
I think iI'm pretty decent despite starting with meme games. This place is pretty good.
What else?
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
BeardTaffy

Post by BeardTaffy »

Hey guys, I'm from Sweden and recently started playing shmups after watching people playing them for a looooong time. Right now I'm playing Blue Wish Resurrection, working on doing a 1cc run of Heaven mode. Or I say working, I just started today and made it to stage 4 before having to use a continue hehe.

Anyway, I just thought I should drop by and say hi, so yeah, HI!
saigan

Post by saigan »

Hey all, been lurking here for the past month since I decided I wanted to get into shmups. Usually I play Neo Geo games or Dragon Quest but I wanted to expand my horizons. Following some recommendations I tried out both Mushihimesama and Jamestown but neither of them bit me the same way that R-Type did after seeing a review for it on classic game room.

Last night I 1cc'd the first loop after a month of practice and it's got to be my proudest gaming moment :D Sure I died horribly on stage 12 but I'm taking my victory, dammit. ;)
d0s

Post by d0s »

saigan wrote:but neither of them bit me the same way that R-Type did
I think the original R-Type is a very special game and few things are going to reach that level of utter perfection, easily my favorite hori shmup by a mile. Congrats on your 1CC!