What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Blinge »

:mrgreen:

I think the several months break excuse can carry you most of the way through all that...

The hint for fire arrows is right on top of the island you're stood at upon finishing the water temple. As a kid I would walk all around the island and read the plinth. As an adult used to modern streamlined games, oooh. I don't know. Maybe people find themselves warping out immediately thinking " I have shit to do." or saving the game and turning it off.

Afaik there's never any hints for the Din's Fire fairy fountain. The one in the castle grounds, right? Basically again as a kid I remembered there was a rock in the castle grounds, cause I spent so long fucking around in the castle grounds my first time there. When I had bombs I naturally remembered the rock. Or I might've gone back in a couple of times to try and talk to Zelda: or see what the castle was like after her exile.
However I can see that modern gamer mind sees no reason to go back.

It would be different if the rock was somewhere you always walk past or presented in a manner like LTTP's overworld. Never considered that.
inb4 lttp fanboiz
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah, i vaguely remember inspecting that boulder and making a mental note to return with bombs when i started the game..... not sure why i didn't.

-edit- or maybe i did go there and didn't play zelda's lulaby? i dunno, feels like ages ago when i started this game and my brain is basically just mashed potatoes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think everyone who played the game blind without big breaks would want to go back and check that boulder. It's just so suspicious with its location and everything. It looks like there's something really interesting to find. I can't see any fault in this design.

Besides, it's not actually mandatory, isn't it? You're gonna go past it again before the end of the game as far as I recall, so at that point it's hard to miss.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nah, you go back there in the future.

Anyway you need a source of fire to light at least one torch before the Shadow Temple.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Lots of gaming for me the last couple months.

Minus the gameboy entries, I completed another tour of the Mega Man and MMX series (up to 4). With the NES Mega Man games, it feels like none of them are really "perfect", but each has its strengths. This time I particularly enjoyed 1 and 6. The Rush Jet adapter in 6 is like the Metal Blade in 2: i know its cheap, but its just so fun to use. I still find the charge shot mechanic introduced in 4/5 very tedious and the resulting addition of more damage-soak enemies starts pushing level design into "memo" territory rather than the faster-paced, purely reflexive shooting experience I want to have. For the MMX games, I think MMX2 went up in my estimation (I like the boss fights more), but I also found all the searching for item stuff soooo tedious in both MMX2 and MMX3, where it was barely acceptable to me in the first game.

I've also been playing Chunsoft's "sound novels" the last couple weeks, namely Kamaitachi no Yoru, Otogirisou, and Machi. They're all pretty fun and take me back to my earliest gaming memories with stuff like King's Quest and even earlier pre-visuals adventure stuff. Machi in particular is something of a masterpiece imo, and I can see why it's one of the most beloved games in Japan despite being totally unheard of here (actually, it sold poorly in Japan too, but Chunsoft nonetheless bounced back). I might try the unofficial sequel "428" for the Wii at some point too. Machi has amazing music too imo, but you can hardly find it online. I'm personally very surprised it hasn't been translated...

I've also taken a brief trip into the darkside of... wait for it... MOBAs. I've got 4-5 friends who play League of Legends now and "League Nights" have become a fun weekly thing. Playing 5-man premades negates most of the toxicity (except when we fight amongst ourselves, haha) which I like, as I've never been super competitive. Jesus christ though, the amount of shit you have to keep in your head to even be mediocre in this game is ridiculous. Thankfully shmups have mostly maintained my reflexes into middle age. I main vel'koz and have been accused of scripting many times now thanks to my elite skillshotz, haha. My username is ruhroh4lyfe if anyone wants to play with a lowly silver-grade scrub.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Starting up Yakuza Kiwami 2 tonight. Really looking forward to it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I keep reinstalling Battletech over and over hoping it will "click" with me this time, and I really think it's just because the intro movie to that game is so damn good. But then I play the game and... ugh. Stripped of all the tabletop busywork yet still limited to only 4 mechs, it feels like Final Fantasy Tactics if you only had 3 weapons.

On the lighter side, Battle Chef Brigade just upgraded to deluxe edition tonight and I'm liking the new playable character and aftergame modes.

Finally, Battlestar Galactica is really, really fucking good once you sink your teeth into it.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

instead of playing arcade games im playing Civilization IV aka the best game ever made. maybe ill go back to playing arcade game again......maybe not...
Steamflogger Boss

Big Civ multiplayer games are the sheeeeet.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Zelda Ocarina of Time .. damn Nostalgia hurts man
in love with this game..but i prefer Majora's Mask..both Perfection
-------
im playing now Super Paper Mario on emulator..im shocked there's no Battle System!!!! but okay
as the title says..Super Mario but Paper Edition hehehe..still has some RPG elements and its far more enjoyable
then regular Mario Bros series..lets c how it ends

also
i hope u guys play INTO THE BREACH..
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Starting up Yakuza Kiwami 2 tonight. Really looking forward to it.
I'm picking up this one myself today, though I'm slightly worried...for one thing I wasn't overly impressed by the new engine's performance in 6, and for another apparently some content from the original was removed (though I never played Yakuza 2 so I wouldn't personally notice the difference). I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but I do hope the series isn't satisfied to slope downward just as it's gotten more popular in this neck of the woods.
Steamflogger Boss

BulletMagnet wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Starting up Yakuza Kiwami 2 tonight. Really looking forward to it.
I'm picking up this one myself today, though I'm slightly worried...for one thing I wasn't overly impressed by the new engine's performance in 6, and for another apparently some content from the original was removed (though I never played Yakuza 2 so I wouldn't personally notice the difference). I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but I do hope the series isn't satisfied to slope downward just as it's gotten more popular in this neck of the woods.
There is an entire area removed. I've played through 2, albeit many years ago and I do remember that area. They have added a bunch of content to this game. I see it as a different game with the same general story.

I do remember technical issues in 6. Ys VIII was terrible to but it's a Vita game ported poorly to PS4 (lol). I don't think anything has impressed me on PS4 and I have played flagship type titles.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Early Kiwami 2 thoughts -

- So yeah, it's basically 6, much like Kiwami 1 was quite similar to Zero, but it feels more disjointed here - Kiryu and the rest still look and act like their "older" selves from 6, which is odd to get used to considering this is supposed to be one of the "younger" entries, story-wise. Some aspects are more balanced (the experience system is the same as 6, but the different types of points are doled out more evenly), and the framerate, while still unfortunately stuck at 30, so far seems more consistent than in 6, but frankly I still prefer the old engine.

- You can keep and equip weapons again, and both weak and strong attacks can be charged (while moving, even) from near the beginning, but otherwise combat feels much the same as 6's - most Heat Actions are either context-sensitive or require "extreme heat" (which I haven't unlocked yet) to use, and the camera, as ever, is still a bit of a bear.

- Speaking of legacy issues, I'm frankly floored that it's still so cumbersome to keep track of your completion, which the game so strongly encourages - why in heaven's name do I still have to open the menu to check which dishes I've eaten at a particular restaurant instead of seeing them checked off as I order, and for that matter why does even the menu not keep track in any way whatsoever which heat actions I've used? I can't imagine I'm the only one to have asked for this after so many entries, what gives?

- Several of the gambling games are back (or, more accurately I suppose, are still here), though pretty easily ignored if you're not nuts enough to try to 100% this...darts and karaoke are much the same, golf is fun (though like the batting cages suffers from the halved framerate), but the UFO catcher, inexplicably, is even more unfair (and, presumably, true to life) than before. :P Arcade-wise, I know there are some Virtual On fans here, but ugh, I must be missing something big, because I absolutely hated the controls and camera here. Haven't unlocked the "major" minigames yet.

- Not too far into the story, but I will say I like the villain this time around; in a bunch of the other Yakuzas you don't find out who the "big bad" (insofar as you can label anyone in this series as such) is until the plot has taken a bunch of ridiculous twists and turns, but here the guy is right out front, and puts on a pretty good show, which in these circumstances is oddly refreshing, though part of it comes from having been partially spoiled and knowing there isn't a Zeromus waiting in the wings somewhere.

Still a long ways to go, but I'm pretty confident in saying I'm eager for Sega to move on from their current "formula" for the series, as I'm pretty sure this one won't rank much higher on my list than 6 when all is said and done...though I feel it's only fair to close by noting that another early sidequest got a healthy laugh out of me again, so they can feel free to keep that part. :P
Steamflogger Boss

It would be really nice if there was something to denote which foods you have already eaten when you are at the restaurant. As things are now I have to track it mentally myself which is meh.

Virtual-On is kinda poop.

Did you play the original Yakuza 2? It's still one of my favorite entries despite being really dated at this point in terms of some of the gameplay.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

That's really weird considering Kiwami 1 checks the food off at restaurants, it has that feature.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:It would be really nice if there was something to denote which foods you have already eaten when you are at the restaurant. As things are now I have to track it mentally myself which is meh.
IIRC you can view a checklist in the "Completion" menu, but there's literally no reason it shouldn't be evident right there in the restaurant.

@Blinge - Did Kiwami 1 have that? I honestly can't remember...if it did I'm pretty sure it's the only one that did, which is still baffling.
Did you play the original Yakuza 2? It's still one of my favorite entries despite being really dated at this point in terms of some of the gameplay.
No, the first one I played was 4, and haven't played any of the ones that came before (or the offshoots) largely because, as you say, gameplay-wise they're supposed to be pretty rough, and even the "modern" entries have more than enough "quirks" to deal with. Maybe I'll try the "remaster" of 3 if they localize that.
Steamflogger Boss

Well Dead Souls was terrible. I didn't play the other offshoot games because they weren't translated.

I would be surprised if we didn't see 3-5 on PS4 in the west.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up Video Kid '08s Edition because it looked like a Paperboy rip-off on its screenshots, and happily it totally is.
A few differences, the road is now split into 3 switchable lanes, speed is fixed, some scenery/traffic can now be ridden on, and the video's you're throwing are unlimited. Some stuff remains exactly the same - points for throwing vid's into mailboxes, breaking windows, hitting various bits of scenery. Rammed with call-out's to TV and film, can actually quite distracting as I find myself concentrating more on spotting the next cameo rather than playing. Good fun though, and as I've been on the move a lot this weekend, great for off-the-cuff five minute sessions. Can't complain at the price of a pint.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Streets of Rage Remake, did a couple of no continue clears on the default life setting in Mania and beat the SoR1 route finally as Roo. Once I got the timing down for the three wrestler bosses (who periodically attempt to break out of stunlocking, and are generally huge jerks in Mania) and stopped losing lives to them, it actually wasn't too bad. The fact that you have to face 3 of them on the route on top of all those karate guys with the long range jump kicks is very dangerous indeed. On the plus side, no Jets and no ninjas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxjjYSCOys

And a Mania 1cc clear of the SoR2 route as Blaze 1 (this one got pretty crazy at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiS-RI9KGts
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mea culpa time - last night I noticed that there is a little checkbox next to stuff you order in restaurants, though it's not very obvious so it took me some time to see it. So yeah, at least they managed to make that particular QOL improvement somewhere down the line...now, figuring out which vending machine drinks (especially the randomized "mystery" ones) you've had, on the other hand... :P

Unlocked the "cabaret manager" minigame (and then immediately/accidentally triggered a scene that sent me away from it to the other area, guess it'll have to wait), hopefully I can make an old lady with purple hair my number one girl like I did in Zero. Also encountered the infamous "be my baby" side story, which I remember seeing a video of before I'd ever played a Yakuza game; might well have been when the seed was first planted. :lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

last night finished Planet Alpha..took me 8 hours to complete
if u guys like INSIDE game with fantastic AVATAR backgrounds and gorgeous graphics
then this's for u..its insane journey to be honest..didnt expect much but blown away

-----

still playing Super Paper Mario..chapter 6
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Mischief Maker wrote:Dead Cells just left early access! It's a very good Castlevania meets Rayman roguelite.
Just grabbed the Switch version of this. Having spent a good 200+ hours on Binding of Isaac Rebirth and it's expansions (and I'm still terrible at them) I'm quite enjoying this, although it's rather grindy to get to the point of being able to get deep into it regularly. It seems like the type of game that's best as a "pick up and play" which makes it a good fit for a portable game on Switch, although it does have some framerate jumpiness.

Most of my gaming these days is on Switch because most of the time I have for gaming is during my commute. Aside from Dead Cells I've made it most of the way through BotW (cleared all four Divine Beasts, need to find 2-3 more memories before taking on Calamity Ganon) and Disgaea 5 (which I'm enjoying reasonably well even if it mostly a big timesink.)
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Steamflogger Boss

So yeah, the check boxes are definitely there. So that's nice.

That mother effing golf sub story though...I got 280 and 290 points at one point (you need 300) before getting too annoyed so I'll try again later.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8065 ... ding_Dusk/

Ah sweet, a cyberpunk beat 'em up. I've always wondered how one would look li-
Cyberpunk meets beat ‘em up: Brawl your way through a post-apocalyptic future in an ever changing landscape. Randomly generated stages provide countless of hours of unique gameplay.

Customized Chaos: Make your attacks even deadlier by equipping enhancement mods and tweaking your tech tree. Swap your mod loadouts and discover new attack synergies that will make your combos bigger and better.
not agahahaaaaaaaaain
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Cyberpunk..Post Apocalyptic in the same description.. :/

no one fucking gets it, man.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Still trying to find a SNES game to settle down with. Played some Aladdin, but it's all a bit sedate and empty, and movement isn't quite as smooth as I remember - controls occasionally feel a little still. Probably won't be bothering with this.

Tried out Super Turrican. Wasn't keen on this back in the day, let's be honest, nobody played for Turrican for a tight, precise shooting experience - the entire point of the Amiga games were the huge, sprawling levels, and back than I thought the SNES version missed the point by shrinking them. These days, I actually appreciate it. There's still a fair amount of exploration involved, but it's much more focussed than the originals and wastes less of my time traversing dozens of identical screens. Music is also excellent, sounding more like the Amiga than the overly-compressed sound typical of the SNES. Unfortunately, it all falls apart as early as the second world, where the game stumbles into literally every European design error that ever existed. Shame, the first world actually struck a nice balance between exploration and euro platform shooting, but the second it a maze of conveyor belts, bottomless pits, secrets 'hidden' behind walls that look the same as any other... completely destroys the momentum the opening world builds. Oh well.

Was about ready to give up on Breath of the Wild, but finally pushed through the boredom to make it past the opening area. Main complaint is that it's so goddamn big - first quest proper sent me to Kakariko village and it's wasn't fun taking a full ten minutes plus to get there. Once I'd had a nosy around there it seems to start opening up significantly but I'm still not certain that it's my type of game. The stamina meter is a massive annoyance - I've spent about a quarter of my time so far staring at a shrinking green circle oblivious to everything else around me. Climbing isn't fun, carrying tons of sit in my inventory isn't fun, I'm not sure about the weapon switching.... read Jim Sterling's review and so far he's about right as far as I can see. Half and half on whether I go any further with this.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Genki

Post by Genki »

Battlefield V Beta!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

marc: do you generally like big open world rpgs? cause from what i've seen (i haven't played it) that's exactly what BotW is. so, sure, you need to go to kakariko village, and it will take ten minutes to get there, but more than likely it will actually take an hour or more to get there as on the way you see something to explore which leads to something else that catches your eye etc ad infinitum. from what i gather, if this isn't your sort of thing you might not like BotW.

as to what i've been playing, i finally finished zelda OoT last week. in general i thought the game was alright but i wasn't super into it or anything. this makes me wonder if i'd enjoy TP or WW as much as i originally did if i replayed them today, but it really didn't feel like OoT has anything going over them other than its place in history.

anyway since then i've been playing a bit of sega bass fishing on the wii. i kind of wanted to get the dreamcast version with the awesome fishing rod remote but the wii version costs like £2 so i just grabbed that. on my first try of the game i played for about 15 mins and literally didn't get a single bite haha. went back to it the next day and for some reason could instantly catch fish. i've managed to play through the first course on arcade mode without continuing but i'm still a little mystified sometimes when the fish just do not want to bite no matter what i try. last time i played i tried tournament mode, came first by a mile in the first round then second round i didn't catch a single fish. not only did i not catch one, i couldn't even get one to bite my lure, no matter which lure i used. i don't really understand this game, but it's pretty enjoyable.

i have also started playing fallout new vegas, despite the fact i don't really like fps games or open world rpgs. not sure how far in i currently am, but i'm snooping around the repconn hq at the min. i wasn't really enjoying the game to begin with but i'm starting to get a little bit more sucked into it.... we'll see how it goes.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Immryr wrote: this makes me wonder if i'd enjoy TP or WW as much as i originally did if i replayed them today, but it really didn't feel like OoT has anything going over them other than its place in history.
OoT's dungeons are less of a sleepwalk.
i have also started playing fallout new vegas, despite the fact i don't really like fps games or open world rpgs. not sure how far in i currently am, but i'm snooping around the repconn hq at the min. i wasn't really enjoying the game to begin with but i'm starting to get a little bit more sucked into it.... we'll see how it goes.
Ah man I'd recommend hardcore mode!
New Vegas is a slow burn however. It's really worth it if you stick at it imo.