What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mischief Maker

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Mischief Maker »

Dead Cells just left early access! It's a very good Castlevania meets Rayman roguelite.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Meets... rayman?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Castlevania meets Rayman roguelite
what the fuck man :lol:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Sumez wrote:Meets... rayman?
You gotta see it in motion.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

just got Dead Cells
didnt try yet..was buzy with Donkey Kong Tropical Freez on Cemu
what an overlooked Masterpiece..the best in the franchise
ryu

Post by ryu »

Beat Hollow Knight. Went into the game expecting the usual short-lived indie metroidvania of 8 hours or so, and the game ended up taking me 30 hours. It's a solid game that I enjoyed a lot, but there's more backtracking in this than I like in my exploration games due to a huge map.

Haven't played a game of comparative difficulty in a while, so the challenge was very welcome.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
ScrewedUp

Post by ScrewedUp »

Somehow ended up playing old arcade beat em ups again. Thanks to emulation I now can enjoy the "best" version of each, but a lot of em still don't hold up anymore. So much bad balancing even outside the obvious coin thieving, like the final boss of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (a much worse game than i remembered it being) being the easiest fight in the game, or many games only having one character worth playing.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Uncharted Lost Legacy and Popful Mail (for the nth time).

Both are great.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Distance 1.0 finally comes out in a month and in preparation I'm replaying Nitronic Rush.

Damn, this game is more beautiful than I remembered!

In case you haven't tried it yourself, it's freeware!

gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Lichdom: Battlemage (PC) - Once you get the hang of the magic system with control, destruction, & mastery attunements on the spells it gets great. Build up mastery on enemies, then throw out a destruction spell with high mastery consumption. Right now I'm using fire/ice/kinesis. Corruption isn't bad either- it can cause some bugs to burst out of one enemy then swarm another. I'll probably pick up lightning for the next sigil.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Octopath Traveler:
Great game so far (6 hours into it).
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Near the end of Skyward Sword (hey, time for another annoying stealth section with lantern-wielding baddies! Thankfully it's not as much of a pain as I remember the one from Wind Waker being), but my most "memorable" gaming "experience" of late is actually completely unrelated.

The other day I noticed that the price on Ni No Kuni 2 had dropped some, and while I wasn't a fan of the first one (bad ally AI is a kiss of death for me) the second seemed to take a fairly different tack so I figured I'd give it a shot. After waiting literally several hours for the game to install and the updates to download I start the thing up and the first thing I see, even before the Namco-Bandai logo pops up, is a license agreement; I'm fairly used to seeing them on PC and usually only give them a cursory look, but haven't glimpsed them often on console, so I scroll down to the section that applies to my country, and lo and behold, it's a binding arbitration clause, which requires me to waive my right to utilize the legal system against the publisher if I want to play the game.

Now, I should point out right up front that, while I find do this increasingly-omnipresent practice highly odious, 1) I very much doubt that Namco-Bandai is ever going to do anything to me that'll make me want to take them to court, and 2) Back when Steam added such a clause to its own user agreement I griped about it on this very forum but ended up hitting "accept" like everyone else, so I definitely can't say I'm anything close to a "crusader" on this issue. Still, something about this particular situation bugged me; maybe it's because I've always associated consoles with a simpler era of gaming, while I've gotten into PC stuff more recently and tend to more readily accept the icky "modern approach" there, or perhaps because I was already a bit iffy on NNK2 because of its Season Pass, or maybe I'm just getting more ornery all around, but once I saw that clause my desire to play the thing just drained away. I ejected the disc and switched to something else; I haven't actually returned the thing to the store yet, but I really don't think I have an alternative, as that first impression just killed most any enthusiasm I had for it (EDIT: Yeah, I returned it).

Still, my feelings are mixed; on the one hand I can say that for once I actually put my money where my mouth is on an issue I say I value, and moreover that I have plenty of other games to play and thus no reason to bother with ones that demand compromises I'm not comfortable with, but at the same time it's impossible not to feel like you're screaming impotently into the void, not to mention questioning whether or not the decision truly stemmed from anything resembling personal principle or just a particularly affecting set of circumstances, possibly including my increasing encroachment into the "too old to deal with this" phase of life, that finally slapped me personally hard enough to get cranky about it. I guess in the end it doesn't affect much either way, but it's the first time in a very long while that I've decided not to play a game I bought for reasons other than not liking the game itself, and I'm not entirely sure how I ought to feel about it, if I should feel anything much at all, let alone whether I should bother blabbing about it to anyone else. Well, too late for that too, I suppose. :P Back to Zelda...

EDIT: And Skyward Sword is finished - a perfect example of both the potential and the limitations of the Wiimote control scheme (no way in heck am I confident enough in it to try "Hero Mode"). As frustrating as certain aspects could be, I'd still rate it as one of the better 3D Zeldas; as I said earlier, though, it's particularly slow-paced, so proceed with caution if you prefer a snappier experience.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BulletMagnet wrote:I'd still rate it as one of the better 3D Zeldas
Which 3D Zelda is worse?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's been awhile since I went through most of them (and IIRC the only one I haven't finished is Majora's Mask, though I might be forgetting something), but off the cuff I don't remember Twilight Princess particularly fondly; I wouldn't call it "bad", but on the whole I don't think the "darker" approach worked terribly well for the series, as even though it's different from the rest I still can't say I find most of it particularly memorable. Also, separate from the art design, on a purely technical level I also remember it being rather lackluster visually. Put it this way - when I snagged my somewhat ill-fated Wii U I grabbed the "remastered" version of Wind Waker, but didn't bother with TP. Again, that's not exactly an academic take, and if you asked which was my favorite of the bunch I'm not sure I could really say, but I'd definitely at least rate SS above TP.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's funny, because I found Twilight Princess to be the most "generic" of them all, pretty much doing the whole Zelda 64 thing over again, except better. I didn't really make any notice of it being "darker", but I really enjoyed the incredible variation in the types of dungeons you encounter throughout the game.

Honestly, all of them are good. I wouldn't even call Twilight Princess a bad game by any stretch, but there's definitely a lot of stuff to dislike about it. More importantly, it's hard for me not to love the other ones. Ocarina of Time is probably my second least favourite.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

oh my beloved franchise
my top fav is Major's Mask
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Conquest of Elysium 4

I'm finally getting the hang of the Troll King. You've gotta play him like a guerilla war. Use his regeneration/immunity advantages to smash weak garrisons and cut off the enemy supply lines, use your superior mobility/forest stealth to avoid the enemy's kill stacks, and keep planting those troll forest tiles so the enemy can't keep any of the resource tiles of yours they manage to grab. Win by capturing their last citadel which zaps their killer stacks.

What a fun, crazy game!

Marc

Post by Marc »

Keep starting Zelda BotW, playing the first 60-90 minutes, losing interest, and canning it.

Up to the B Cup on Gatcha Racing 2, starting to get bored. It's a vanilla overhead with nothing special about it, I've picked up many more interesting variations on the theme for pennies on my phone.

About halfway through Flatout 4 and probably ready to abandon that - physics are just too inconsistent now and it's souring the fun badly.

Trying to decide whether to start Dargon's Trap, Momodora, Salt n Sanctuary, or get properly stuck into the Ghosts n Goblins Castilla EX.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Maldita Castilla and Momodora 4 are definitely the best of those.

BotW is great, but the "tutorial" plateau where you start out is really boring. Once you get down from that, the game really opens up and becomes impossible to put down.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Got Super Mario Odyssey last Saturday and have been unable to put it down.
I expected to not dig it much due to Mario supposedly hitting rock bottom in terms of actual skill based gameplay.
And yeah, it's a casual game for sure (though honestly not much more than Galaxy). But if you have any love for video games at all, it's absolutely impossible not to enjoy this incredible creative and colorful journey.

EDIT: Accidentally wrote Super Mario Sunshine. And yeah, this game absolutely is Sunshine 2.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I enjoyed Odyssey quite a bit, as well. It reminded be a bit of Wario Land 2-4.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Robotron: 2084 (arcade) - 721,875. Finished at wave 27.
I remember the Xbox Live version of this for the 360 being a lot harder.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:Got Super Mario Odyssey last Saturday and have been unable to put it down.
I expected to not dig it much due to Mario supposedly hitting rock bottom in terms of actual skill based gameplay.
And yeah, it's a casual game for sure (though honestly not much more than Galaxy). But if you have any love for video games at all, it's absolutely impossible not to enjoy this incredible creative and colorful journey.

EDIT: Accidentally wrote Super Mario Sunshine. And yeah, this game absolutely is Sunshine 2.
It's just such an exuberant game that I can't help but enjoy it. The number of ideas it manages to cram in there is mind-boggling at time, they will take on element that other games might make and entire world of, mess about with it for a few power moons, then abandon it just as quickly. I wish the post game content had consisted of some more challenging stuff, rather than just MORE, but it's easily the most fun I've had with a Mario since 64/Sunshine.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

gameoverDude wrote:Robotron: 2084 (arcade) - 721,875. Finished at wave 27.
I remember the Xbox Live version of this for the 360 being a lot harder.
The 360 version runs too fast and it was somewhat recent when MAME finally fixed the speed issue. Most officially emulated versions don't run at the correct speed.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

just finished Paper Mario Color Splash..really nintendo?
so they never learned anything from the garbage Sticker Star !!
this's just same game with shitty cards and this has the worst battle system
and boring fights with lame bosses

but yea the graphics here is the best ..rest is shit :(

going back to play Super Paper Mario then Paper Mario 64 and last not least Paper Mario TTYD
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

finally beat SHADOW TACTICS: Blades of the Shugan
what a little Masterpiece..finally tactical RTS is back after all
these glory days in 90's and early 2000 with Commandos and Disperados

and now they r working on Disperados III !!!!! wow

'''''
this Thread seems dead
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

kaicooper wrote:this Thread seems dead
Been beating my head against a brick wall with the final boss in Starcrawlers. I'm running a full chaos party (smuggler, engineer, prototype, void psyker) and while we can murderize anything the random missions throw at us, the prototype just isn't as effective a tank as the Soldier was in my previous runthrough.

So I haven't exactly been excited to share my constant failures with the community.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Phew! Finally beat Starcrawlers with a Chaos team. Smuggler, Prototype, Engineer, Void Psyker. (suicide ending, then anarchist ending).

This was way harder than my previous run with an order team. The prototype does not excel at drawing fire from my smuggler and void psyker. Plus with all four party members having abilities that can blow up in your face, the RNG can REALLY screw you in a nasty fight. In retrospect I should have had the force psyker use the tree with the vampire power.

This game and Lords of Xulima are the two best blobber CRPGs on the PC right now. Starcrawlers is Phantasy Star meets Etrian Odyssey meets the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun.

And yes, the Hacking did get better in the higher levels, but it's still a purely optional activity that you can skip without hassle, especially if you've got a hacker in your team.

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Witcher 1 is quite enjoyable actually, coming to the end of chapter 3.

Plugging away at Heretic at a rate of 1 map a day. Went down to normal difficulty, dun care.
I'll beat the Stagnant Demesnessnnenesne on Smite Meister tho for cool points.

Also the climax challenges in Yakuza Kiwami are some straight up bullshit, urgh! That combat system sucks arse without abilities unlocked, it really does. Why am I doing this to myself.

Probably because I had the pleasure a week ago to be walking around Kabukicho, Tokyo in the flesh. :wink:
It really is amazing to turn up to a place on the other side of the planet and know where I'm going, recognise the layout and the streets! Even if I turned a corner near where Serena is in the game and have to say "hey, where's the little park! there's supposed to be a park here!"
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i've gone back to an ocarina of time game i started maybe 10-12 months ago. i've started this game at least 6 times and never bothered finishing it, but that is not gonna happen this time!

shamefully i have had to google 2 things :oops: but i'm going to put them both down to starting the game ages ago and not really remembering a lot of the early game.

when i loaded my savefile i was in the water temple and the water was at the bottom level. i did some looking around, found a key or two and got the water level up to the top, realised there was nothing for me to do up there and then spent ages looking for a way to get the water level back down. i couldn't remember doing the first part of the dungeon or finding ruto and in my head had already discounted there being anything else in the room with the torches on the bottom floor.... sooo after going round and round for ages i gave in and googled it -_-;

then later on after feeling like i couldn't progress in the spirit temple and couldn't get into the shadow temple as i needed to light some torches in both and had no way of doing so i once again gave in and googled. once again i had completely forgotten about the existence of the great fairy fountain and don't remember getting any in game hints to go back there. (i'm also assuming there are fire arrows somewhere but i have no idea where. so far i only have the ice arrows.)

defeated twice by a children's game. shameful display.