What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Sumez »

I'm certain would have loved Ico and SotC equally no matter when I first tried them. TLG just really didn't touch me the same way. Those first two games are just straight up amazing.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Anyone playing the new Ys game? It came in the mail the other day but I haven't had a chance to check it out.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

professor ganson wrote:Anyone playing the new Ys game? It came in the mail the other day but I haven't had a chance to check it out.
I have been playing Tales of Berseria, but I just ordered it. Not sure when I'll get around to it. I still need to get back to playing Oath in Felgana.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

After becoming completely sick of shmups i started trying out some beatemups and got addicted to knights of the round, currently trying for the 1cc. What an unbelievably stellar game.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Cee wrote:After becoming completely sick of shmups i started trying out some beatemups and got addicted to knights of the round, currently trying for the 1cc. What an unbelievably stellar game.
I love this game. Interesting how there are techniques to synchronize the level ups with the hairiest encounters. Farthest I"ve got in 1 credit was Muramasa.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Since the writing on the wall says the PC port of Ys VIII is borked, I spent the money on Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock instead.

It's a 3D fleet combat tactical simulation game taking place in during the first cylon war of the reboot series. It plays out in simultaneous turn-based mode where you direct your fleet maneuvers for the next ten seconds, then the computer simulates the outcome between turns.

The big selling point for the game is after a battle is complete you can watch the battle replay in real time with shaky cam, dramatic zooms, and fighter-eye views of the action ala. Ace Combat.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Finished Tales of the Abyss on 3DS. Wasn't exactly the masterpiece it's hailed, to be honest. Jade was the best character, no discussion. Second Tales game i finished, after the great Phantasia.
Now starting Shovel Knight's Plague of Shadows DLC.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Was any Tales game ever hailed as a masterpiece? Best I can think of is Symphonia, which I assume is mostly due to a general lack of/wish for solid RPGs on Gamecube (because apparently Baten Kaitos and Paper Mario 2 don't exist..).

And of course the first Phantasia, primarily due to how incredible it is for a SNES game.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Depends on who you ask, really, since there's so darn many of them by now; you've probably heard me praise Graces as one of my personal favorite JRPGs, though everyone else seems to consider it second-tier at best, heh. Symphonia is probably the most popular choice overall though, at least in my estimation.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Destiny and Eternia (US = Destiny II) are masterpieces of 2D gaming imo.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I guess, having played none of them, it's just easy for me to lump them into the masses of late-generation JRPGs that feel so mass produced that they just go by the motions and offer little outside of cliches. PS2 and forward really started to show fatigue on that genre, so whenever there is genuine quality to be found, it's extremely easy to overlook it. I heard the new one, Berseria, is supposedly pretty good. I got both Xillia games, but don't have the patience to start with them.
CIT wrote:Destiny and Eternia (US = Destiny II) are masterpieces of 2D gaming imo.
I got Eternia on PSP back in the days. Maybe I should try actually playing it. :o
Then again, I also got Symphonia in the backlog.
Last edited by Sumez on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Was any Tales game ever hailed as a masterpiece?
Abyss was highly praised by the Tales Community back in the day.

I played it a few years after release and wasn't blown away either.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ryu wrote:
Was any Tales game ever hailed as a masterpiece?
Abyss was highly praised by the Tales Community back in the day.

I played it a few years after release and wasn't blown away either.
Yeah, the best thing about it is Jade and the theme song by Bump of Chicken:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTdcxQZcQAE
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez, Eternia's English dub is horrible, so you might want to mute the voices.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

symphonia gameplay was 100x better than abyss
the free run mechanic breaks the game entirely and the difficulty modes are straight up retarded with scaling so hard that normal is too easy, hard is a grindfest, very hard basically requires a NG+ and some early exploits and unknown requires almost all the ng+ unlocks
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Leandro wrote:
Cee wrote:After becoming completely sick of shmups i started trying out some beatemups and got addicted to knights of the round, currently trying for the 1cc. What an unbelievably stellar game.
I love this game. Interesting how there are techniques to synchronize the level ups with the hairiest encounters. Farthest I"ve got in 1 credit was Muramasa.
Yeah i think it's fantastic to, i 1cced today to the last boss and shamefully got trapped making it a 2cc clear. It's all about learning the block mechanics to full effect, when you do this it's one of the most balanced beatemups out there. So many ways to play aswell, have you seen the chinese superplayer speedruns of 18 min clears? truly a marvel of precisely executing strategy.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I'm alternating between Sonic Mania, Fallout New Vegas and Hitman 2016...
BIL

Post by BIL »

MAXING und RELAXING mit mein second favourite MURDER SIMULATION Brutal DOOM. Update soon apparently, some balls about sprite redraws... gawd bless he soul as ever, but I wish he'd just squash that daft bug that causes Barry to seize up while he's murdering Zombie! OR going for a barrel to chuck! It's like e's avein a fookin' wank!

That's better!
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Darkwood. top-down survival horror. fantastic game. not particularly scary, but extremely creepy.
btw, the developers released the game on misc torrent sites for free (to deter purchasing / selling keys).
unequivocally, one of the most unique gaming experiences I've had in a long time.

absolver - excellent combat, but it doesn't detract from the obnoxious $30 price tag. it's not worth more than $10 in it's current state.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

now playing Satellite Reign
what a great remake for Syndicate Wars
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Catching up on my Dragon Quest backlog before XI comes out here next year, and I'm currently going through VIII.

... and I reached what appears to be "that one boss" for this game. I've seen people claim you can beat him on low levels, but the insane amount of damage he does to everyone in a single turn leaving me no way to heal it up in time seems to make it very luck dependent as I see it. Even just the fact that my only revive spell is entirely random (and to my experience works like 1 out of 10 times even though I recall it being 50/50 in every other game) makes it insanely frustrating. Gonna grind a few levels more, pack a couple of yggdrasil leaves and give it another try later tonight -_-
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Layla for the NES

I realised it could be worth mentioning here, since its not very well known. Layla is a red-headed space heroin, and Layla is also a action-plataformer with a variety of weapons to choose and great gameplay. You could say it is one of the more forgiving NES games (like, for example, Zelda or Mario). The game is pretty and simple, the weapon collecting being a nice addition. I havent got the time to go very far, so I can't say how difficult it can get. Mind that: You can't "Retry" if you die, you'll have to put the password for the stage or start from the beggining. I dont remember the story, but you'll be basically visiting planets and killing enemies by your gun or sword, while picking up bouncing ice creams that restores your healthbar. Its s-fiction, all right?

Between the planets you visit, there are bonus stages. You're jetpacking in the space from planet A to B in a horizontal shoot em up. (Just discoreved now that there's a rom hack where you play with her girlfriend Iris)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

If you fall for the 8-bit female redheads, there's always The Wing of Madoola...
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

wizkid

Post by wizkid »

been playing Capcom's Punisher, it's like Final Fight, but far more friendly and less tedious. Yesterday i got to Kingpin with a spare life, should clear it soon.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Last game I played was Forza 4. My sister's router died and she got another one. Turns out it doesn't really work with the 360, so she bought an Xbox One S on sale for the back room. Gave me the 360 and let me have all my games, plus a couple she's gotten remastered versions of. Only able to play at night when everyone else in the house is asleep at this time though. Waiting on a a replacement cable to show up since at some point the original broke and nobody knew since they just used the hdmi port.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:If you fall for the 8-bit female redheads, there's always The Wing of Madoola...
Yeah, i remember that one. Never played myself though
wizkid wrote:been playing Capcom's Punisher, it's like Final Fight, but far more friendly and less tedious. Yesterday i got to Kingpin with a spare life, should clear it soon.
That game is the shit, specially for multiplayer.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ninpen Manmaru [Saturn].
okay, the game really has just fallen into being maddeningly tricky 3D platforming with super-precise jumps
ended up cheesing the shit out of the start of the third stage by doing a high jump [jump three times in a row, the third jump will be higher and go farther] off of a tiny pole instead of doing the terribly dangerous normal method that I'd spent a good 20-30 minutes fucking up because the controls aren't amazing and it's a stupidly precise jump anyway.

the stage continued to fuck with me after beating that section, and I ended up just turning the machine off because holy shit fuck this game
It's not quite mechanically unsound [but it's super jank still], and it's a fairly decent looking Saturn game, but the stage design is just obnoxious now.
Isn't this based on a kids show? If I were a kid and got this game, I'd have broken a controller over it.
soprano1 wrote:Sumez, Eternia's English dub is horrible, so you might want to mute the voices.
Eternia's English dub is hilarious.
like, holy shit Meredy's voice is something else in particular

I should go replay it at some point.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:If you fall for the 8-bit female redheads, there's always The Wing of Madoola...
I've played both Layla and the Wing of Madoola for that reason! :mrgreen: If you have other games that fall in the same category, I am all ears.
wgogh wrote:(Just discoreved now that there's a rom hack where you play with her girlfriend Iris)
Good catch! I had no idea such a thing even existed. I just gave it a try and it is like a whole new campaign with a tweaked weapon system, more puzzle-oriented stage layouts and a whole new soundtrack. There are additional changes such as removing the bonus stages and putting you back to a checkpoint on death instead of kicking you to the title screen. The slippery controls are similar though.
If you like Layla, I don't see a reason not to check that romhack out.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

M.Knight wrote:
I've played both Layla and the Wing of Madoola for that reason! :mrgreen: If you have other games that fall in the same category, I am all ears.
wgogh wrote:(Just discoreved now that there's a rom hack where you play with her girlfriend Iris)
Good catch! I had no idea such a thing even existed. I just gave it a try and it is like a whole new campaign with a tweaked weapon system, more puzzle-oriented stage layouts and a whole new soundtrack. There are additional changes such as removing the bonus stages and putting you back to a checkpoint on death instead of kicking you to the title screen. The slippery controls are similar though.
If you like Layla, I don't see a reason not to check that romhack out.
The hack is pretty recent, actually. February, 2017.
I saw in videos that Iris can tag along in some sections of the original game, much like Tails. Interesting for a NES game, altough her sprite flickers, probably because of the NES sprite limit per frame. I may check out the rom hack after the original, which I'll play to relax after my Gunbird tries.
The slippery controls reminds me of Popful Mail, another good action plataform. So, no problem, I'm used to it.
Marc

Post by Marc »

About to abandon Resi 7 due to the terrible, terrible boss fights. I'm on Margeurite in the old house now and it's just pure bullet sponge shite. They're like Resi 4 boss fights, but with even less mobility and visibility than that.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell