Sine Mora(Suda 51 shmup)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BazookaBen

Re: Sine Mora(Suda 51 shmup)

Post by BazookaBen »

oboewan42 wrote:Maybe I should try with an analog controller instead of my stick...
I ended up going with analog, digital is way too fast. It's actually working out for the lower difficulty levels I'm playing on. Makes me wonder if I should try analog next time I tackle Gradius 5.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BazookaBen wrote:Makes me wonder if I should try analog next time I tackle Gradius 5.
Gradius V works well with either option, more because you can control your maximum movement speed (and you appear to only have two speeds with analog control, your current SpeedUp value, or the fixed low speed). It's not like you're screwed if you use an arcade stick though because with two SpeedUps, your ship is at a very manageable speed for everything except for that fast section of the game.

In Sine Mora, if you use digital controls, the pilots fly like they're on meth and crack cocaine because the devs were too idiotic to add a slowdown button, something that's practically a staple of modern shmups.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

This steaming turd in a sea of bloody diarhea is $3.50 on amazon today for the PC

http://www.amazon.com/Kalypso-Media-Sin ... slicinc-20

*EDIT* Did not see this originally. Order this product between now and 12/31/2012 and receive a $5 promotional credit good towards any of the "Editor's Choice" game downloads in the month of January 2013.

So basically this game is free and they will give your money back and then some towards something else in January for putting you through this Misery of a title.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
cskcsk

Post by cskcsk »

Tokyo-J wrote:This steaming turd in a sea of bloody diarhea is $3.50 on amazon today for the PC

*EDIT* Did not see this originally. Order this product between now and 12/31/2012 and receive a $5 promotional credit good towards any of the "Editor's Choice" game downloads in the month of January 2013.

So basically this game is free and they will give your money back and then some towards something else in January for putting you through this Misery of a title.
Is this game really that bad? I am thinking of picking this up togehter with ether vapor.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

cskcsk wrote:Is this game really that bad? I am thinking of picking this up togehter with ether vapor.
Download the demo and try it yourself, don't listen to the negative comments [which by the way are starting to get annoying].
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Kollision wrote:
cskcsk wrote:Is this game really that bad? I am thinking of picking this up togehter with ether vapor.
Download the demo and try it yourself, don't listen to the negative comments [which by the way are starting to get annoying].
Excuse my hate for a title worthy of it. I swear something about it makes me want to do things.......
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

cskcsk wrote: Is this game really that bad?
I think it's great. It has some major problems, and I understand why some people here don't like it, but I've had a lot of fun playing it.

Enemies and bosses have diverse styles of attacks, graphics are great, music is great, story is all kinds of silly. The different specials for each ship are fun, and the slowdown mechanic really helps you fight your way out of a corner.
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Tokyo-J wrote:Excuse my hate for a title worthy of it. I swear something about it makes me want to do things.......
Keep bumping the thread, that'll definitely make it go away
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Got this game, joining in on the "sir I am not using an analog stick to play" sentiment.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

just checked out the psn demo. this game is pretty good, I don't see what the fuss is about. an analog takes a bit of getting used to, sure, but thats no reason to rip on an entire game.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Also the randomness, silly mechanics, and bullets that like to go behind scenery and effects.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

The game looks beautiful, I'll give it that; it runs consistently at 60 fps at 1366x768 on my Lenovo Y560p. (Take that, Ether Vapor Remaster!)

But for one, I don't like using analog sticks because most of the time shmups do not recognize analog input, and in general they're less "predictable" to use. 8-way digital input is easier to work with.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Lord Satori wrote:just checked out the psn demo. this game is pretty good, I don't see what the fuss is about. an analog takes a bit of getting used to, sure, but thats no reason to rip on an entire game.
Because HYPERBOLE. It's the current in-thing.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

trap15 wrote:Also the randomness, silly mechanics, and bullets that like to go behind scenery and effects.
Don't forget the TIME = HEALTH thing and the crappy peashooter.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

AntiFritz wrote:Don't forget the TIME = HEALTH thing and the crappy peashooter.
Time = Health was one of the things I meant by "silly mechanics". I guess that one is silly enough to mention on its own though :lol:
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

trap15 wrote:
AntiFritz wrote:Don't forget the TIME = HEALTH thing and the crappy peashooter.
Time = Health was one of the things I meant by "silly mechanics".
IMO it's not silly. It's just different.
Keep players under pressure in a distinct way, let's say.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

i kinda like the time-health mechanic

i guess this is what happens when i'm raised on arcade racing games, see also: Torus Trooper, Silent Scope EX, and 1943
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Tokyo-J wrote:This steaming turd in a sea of bloody diarhea is $3.50 on amazon today for the PC

Best thing I have read all day :D
oboewan42

Post by oboewan42 »

Just tried it with my Logitech F510 and I will say, I am enjoying it a lot more. (Still can't help but feel a bit peeved, though, since I bought this stick specifically for playing shmups.)

However, there is one thing I need to say:

Yes, Suda, I understand that you're going with a one-life lifebar approach with the time limit. It's a good idea, and I'm a sucker for interesting mechanics (mechanics that actually effect survival gameplay, not just scoring mechanics). Plus, I do enjoy a good lifebar shooter - Tyrian, problematic as it may be, holds a special place in my heart (partially because it was just chock-full of interesting mechanics, like the twiddles and the buyback system). And I liked the mechanic when Warning Forever did it. I would have no problem with this except for one teensy little thing:

...the presence of INSTA-CONTINUE HAZARDS that send you RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE LEVEL.

One of the main advantages of a lifebar system is that it gives the player a degree of leeway to make mistakes, and then you took that dynamic and FUCKED IT ALL UP. Other shmups have insta-kill hazards... then again, other shmups give you MORE THAN ONE LIFE and most of those even allow you to continue right back where you died. This one gives you neither advantage, and on top of that, it gives you limited credits.

EDIT: About the analog thing - I think I know why they optimized the game for analog play. The game was designed for the Xbox 360, and is aimed at the mainstream, non-stick-owning masses. Expecting players to use the shit 360 D-pad rather than the gdlk 360 analog stick would be a mistake.
i'm bad at video games
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

oboewan42 wrote:Expecting players to use the shit 360 D-pad
:lol:
I beat the game using the shit 360 D-pad :roll:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well, my friend, it just wouldn't be a Suda51 game without a completely pointless, arbitrary, game-breaking mechanic thrown in.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

...the presence of INSTA-CONTINUE HAZARDS that send you RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE LEVEL.
This is a big peeve of mine, though it's easy to avoid if you are aware of the few spots it can happen (I think there's two in stage 3 and one in 6). The problem is, they're not obvious and you probably won't know to avoid them until you hit one. They are:

- The presses in stage 3 (even if you're not being crushed)
- The molten metal running along the ground in the second half of stage 3 (not sure if that vat is an insta-kill; I've never taken the hit)
- The red lasers (last section) of the stage 6 midboss. These kill you even if you reflect or have a shield.

They just feel out of place - they throw the time mechanic out the window, and there's nothing to indicate that they would be more dangerous than any other hazard.

I grabbed the PC version. Was kind of excited to have it portable, until I opened it up and the game ran at half speed on my laptop. Hilariously, I still can't dodge Kolobok's spiral attack.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

CStarFlare wrote:I grabbed the PC version. Was kind of excited to have it portable, until I opened it up and the game ran at half speed on my laptop. Hilariously, I still can't dodge Kolobok's spiral attack.
This essentially lets you cheat for highscore. Nice job checking to see if the game logic is lagging or not .. D:

(I'm also assuming it doesn't bother to check if the game speed was accurate when submitting a highscore)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Udderdude wrote:This essentially lets you cheat for highscore. Nice job checking to see if the game logic is lagging or not .. D:
(I'm also assuming it doesn't bother to check if the game speed was accurate when submitting a highscore)
The game also runs at VSync speed, so if you are running your monitor at 70Hz, the game will be as well :roll:
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Tried out the demo on PS3, then decided to grab it from Amazon.

You really can't lose for $3.39, who cares about the $5 credit.

Does it only work with the 360 controller? It refuses to recognize my Wii TvC stick ...
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Yep, one of THOSE games. =/ I swear to god is this a requirement for new Western PC games? Although I guess in those cases that's what JoyToKey is for...
Special World

Post by Special World »

I find it really interesting how the critical and fan perception of niche games are often so wildly divergent.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Special World wrote:I find it really interesting how the critical and fan perception of niche games are often so wildly divergent.
What did you expect? The devs talked a lot of big words about ZOMG HARDCORE SHMUP and namedropped Yagawa, and then it ends up being another half-baked psuedo-Euroshmup with awkward mechanics and easily abuseable autofire/framerate.
Bu11et He11

Post by Bu11et He11 »

Cannot believe this game has got 35+ pages.
Stop talking about it, it's sh!t.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

EmperorIng wrote:Well, my friend, it just wouldn't be a Suda51 game without a completely pointless, arbitrary, game-breaking mechanic thrown in.
I don't think suda 51 had a lot to do with this game. Grasshopper simply worked on the art and music for the game. The mechanics and scenario were all Digital Reality.