Xevious (series)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

Xevious (series)

Post by Despatche »

ImageImage

-NCC versions of Super/Xevious get their own table, and the 3D Classics version of Xevious gets its own table.
-Don't use the Japanese PlayStation version for at least 3D/G. Too much slowdown compared to other versions.
-It's better to use newer emulator versions for the NCCs (for Arrangement), but I don't think that's worth a DQ at the moment. Post scores to get other boards.

Grobda maybe?
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

GAME TITLE
NAME - SCORE - AREA - (SOL for Arrangement) - AUTOFIRE - DETAILS
DETAILS is for what model of console and release of cart/disc, or what emulator and version. You can determine the area in Super/Xevious by counting the forests; see below.

1. SPM              -   710,450 - 2-16 - -- - No  - MAME
 2. Aquas            -   457,500 - 2-?? - -- - No  - ShmupMAME v4.2
 3. Kagami HiME      -   261,030 - ---- - -- - No  - XBLA
 4. Edge             -   225'580 - ---- - -- - Yes - MAME
 5. SchwereViper     -   206,450 - ---- - -- - No  - ShmupMAME v4.2
 6. professor ganson -   159,660 - ---- - -- - No  - 3D/G+; real PS?
 7. mastermx         -   104 500 - ---- - -- - No  - NMV2 (US); real PSP?
SUPER XEVIOUS (Arcade)
Settings: 3 lives, extends at 20K and every 60K, Normal difficulty [Arcade game length, Special Flags extend] XEVIOUS (Family Computer) XEVIOUS ファードラウト伝説 (PC Engine)
Arcade mode (Loops start off at the seventh area, so write your AREA field as if you played those anyway; loop 2, stage 8 would be "2-14".) Fardraut mode (No loops. This mode is... questionable.)

1. EmperorIng       -   505,930 - ALL  - -- - Yes - Cart+PC Engine Duo-R
 2. professor ganson -   389.080
XEVIOUS ARRANGEMENT
Settings: 3 lives, Normal difficulty

1. Despatche        -   153,550 -  7   -  0 - Yes - NCC1, ShmupMAME v3.0b
 2. professor ganson -   126,730 -  7   -  ? - No  - 3D/G+, real PS?
XEVIOUS 3D/G
Settings: 3 lives, Normal difficulty XEVIOUS RESURRECTION
Settings: ?
Last edited by Despatche on Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:36 am, edited 31 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Kagami HiME

Re: Xevious (series) [Arcade/etc]

Post by Kagami HiME »

Xevious (Arcade)
Kagami HiME - 261,030 - No - XBLA

Yep, I still got a long way to go until I can max out the score.
Always be attitude for gains!
Twitter: Kagami_VM
XBL: Kagami VM
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Xevious Arrangement
Despatche - 124,770 - Area 6 - 0 Sol - 3D/G+, ePSXe v1.7.0

Small improvement. Game has weird framerate in 3D/G+ compared to NCC, not sure if that's my plugins/ePSXe or the port. Otherwise it seems to be identical.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Xevious Arrangement
Despatche - 149,960 - 7 - 0 - Yes - NCC1, ShmupMAME v4.2

bad
Edge

Post by Edge »

Xevious (Arcade)

Edge - 225'580 - - - yes -MAME

Old score
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Xevious Arrangement
professor ganson - 126,730 - 7 - PS1 port (default settings)

Freaking awesome game!
professor ganson

Xevious

professor ganson - 159,660 - PS1 port (default settings)

Old score. I'll try to improve on it in the coming months, time permitting.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Xevious Arrangement
Despatche - 153,550 - Area 7 - 0 Sol - Yes - ShmupMAME v3.0b

I didn't even want to post this, such a tiny improvement. Other than the sound, it seems the NCCs aren't particularly broken in older MAME... v0.99, anyway. Really wouldn't hurt to mention what you used though.
Last edited by Despatche on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
professor ganson

Despatche, I'm using the PS1 port on a PS1, not emulation. I don't recall any choices for autofire or anything like that. The only thing I did was use the tate option. Thanks!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Well, I figured as much! US disc on a US PS?

If I remember correctly, all of the games in Xevious 3D/G+ have autofire enabled by default and you can disable it per game. If that is at all true, I figured it'd be good to mention since most of the games in that port don't have autofire normally. Let me look at it again...

edit: All of the games in Xevious 3D/G+ have autofire disabled by default, and you enable it by mapping a button to "Rapid Zapper".
professor ganson

Thanks for checking that! I really wasn't sure what was going on with autofire in the PS port. I'm going to try to get back to Xevious/Xevious Arrangement in the weeks to come. Awesome games!
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

This game doesn't get enough love. Just had a few runs today. I normally play shmups with the aim of survival, and hardly concentrate on score, so this is a nice little change.

My score is 104500 on the psp version via Namco battle collection.

I'll probably come back to this game some time in the future to improve my score.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

hm, idk if the various nms are like the ncc or if they actually try to use the original settings... added anyway
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

XEVIOUS
SchwereViper - 206,450 - No Auto-fire - ShmupMAME v4.2

Love this game. Those bigger Zakatos that explode into the four homing shots give me so much trouble...
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

Heavy Viper wrote:XEVIOUS
SchwereViper - 206,450 - No Auto-fire - ShmupMAME v4.2

Love this game. Those bigger Zakatos that explode into the four homing shots give me so much trouble...
Yeah I'm wondering what the consistent strat is for those. I'm trying to 1cc the PCE version and they're ruining every run.
CloudyMusic

Re: Xevious (series)

Post by CloudyMusic »

What's our stance on the 3DS port? I'll have a score for it if we want to make a table.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I'm going to assume the various Namco Museums and things like 3D Classics use different settings or something. If anyone playing those versions can get at a settings menu and compare (don't change anything just yet), please do so.

Related, it seems like the 3D Classics version has an area counter. That's nice and all, but...
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Xevious - PC Engine (Arcade Mode)

Perikles - 327,310 - 2-14 - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

Every subsequent loop starts at the seventh stage, right? I lost my last life in the eight area of the second loop if that helps.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Xevious - Arcade
Aquas - 457,500 - 2-?? - No - ShmupMAME 4.2

Video twitch highlight: http://www.twitch.tv/aquas_/v/16562483

Beware if you watch the highlight, I call ya'll out for not playing this game as I clear the loop. Haha.

Splendid game btw, for any traditional STG fan it's a must play.
Last edited by Aquas on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

Aquas wrote:Xevious - Arcade
Aquas - 457,500 - 2-?? - No - ShmupMAME 4.2

Video twitch highlight: http://www.twitch.tv/aquas_/manager/highlights

Beware if you watch the highlight, I call ya'll out for not playing this game as I clear the loop. Haha.

Splendid game btw, for any traditional STG fan it's a must play.
That link doesn't work btw, it goes to the manager screen. Nice channel though, subbed.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Xevious - Arcade

Perikles - 279,160 - 2-12 - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2

Felt like getting a quick clear of the arcade game after all the recent Xevious talk. Would've uploaded the video despite the paltry score (couldn't destroy more than one fortress due to tremendous cowardice), it would appear that the sound effects are completely out of sync, however, which mutates an already unbearable game (on the acoustic front, I mean) into a genuine weapon of sonic warfare. No huge loss.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sir, if I may ask, by what black magic did you ascertain your progress in this video game?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

The original arcade game as well as the Famicom/NES and the PCE ports (arcade version in the latter, obviously) work exactly the same: the first loop consists of 16 stages. A stage ends once you see a forest that spans the entire horizontal length of the screen, like this:

There are a handful of stages where you see another forest on top of the one that actually denotes a new stage, ignore those. Also keep in mind that you might start at a new stage if you lose a life near the end of an old stage, the checkpoint system is very generous that way. Every subsequent loop starts at the seventh stage. The easiest way to tell that you have reached another loop is this distinct enemy formation:

There are six of those ground enemies that move in a circle while those silver panels fly over the screen (the player destroyed two of the enemies in the above picture already). Loops still end on the sixteenth stage as usual. Since enemy waves can (will?) change after losing a life you can also look out for specific patterns in the background or the huge fortress enemies that will always appear in the same stages if you don't want to constantly keep track of the forests you flew over.

I don't know if this is correct "nomenclature", so to say, but it certainly works as a handy way to divide the game into stages and loops.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Xevious Arrangement is kind enough to tell you what area you are at while you are playing. I was practicing last night; I had forgotten how good it was!

Did you ever try the PC Engine's Fardraut Mode, Perikles? It's a really neat take on the Xevious formula, mainly by increasing the bullet count immensely.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

It never occurred to me that the forests represent area markers. Wow. Thank you!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Xevious - NES

Perikles - 351,980 - 2-9 - Yes - AV Famicom

Xevious - PC Engine (Fardraut Mode)

Perikles - 496,750 - ALL - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

Was in the rare mood for some more Xevious and seized the chance. The Famicom port is astounding from a porting perspective. It's almost identical to the original, the only significant difference I could spot is the fact that the fortresses are immobile in this version, making it much easier to destroy them. This is also the first time I've uncovered a (random?) extend on the ground, not sure if those are exclusive to the port or just that uncommon.

The PCE-exclusive Fardraut mode on the other hand is bizarre to say the least. It's actually only ~40% original:

- The game starts off with a few new areas and a highly aggravating first boss that constantly shoots undodgeable parabolic projectiles. You have to sit all the way at the bottom, wait until he fires one of those projectiles (which might take a while) and then move upwards for a quick hit before retreating again. Afterwards you'll play a bit more until you face a truly impossible boss. Upon losing a life, the game shows you a cutscene and...

- Sends you to the seventh stage of the original Xevious. From there on out you have to play the rest of the first loop, with the exception that you get a lot of power-ups that were not present in the original game. It's essentially a novice mode. This apparently unlocks those projectile-absorbing blocks for the main game.

- Once you're done with that you get back to play the stand-alone game with much more useful power-ups, a few new enemies, bosses and whatnot, before you face that extremely aggravating boss again. If you die there and don't get a good set of upgrades upon recovering you're dead once more. Horrific design. You can probably get whatever score you want since the two turrets to the sides of the core constantly respawn, I just went for a quick kill, though. Luckily I made a picture afterwards, game seems to endlessly halt after the credits.

It's pretty sloppy, frankly. You're not supposed to dodge a lot of the stuff in the actual "new game", you just pray to receive yet another pair of blocks. I do like the rapid-fire ground shot, would've been great to see something more substantial with that.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well heck if Perikles is posting his Fardraut score, why not me?

Xevious (PC Engine) - Fardraut mode

EmperorIng - 505,930 - ALL - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

And for extra posterity, Xevious's plaintive hope that we meet someday:
Spoiler
It's pretty sloppy, frankly. You're not supposed to dodge a lot of the stuff in the actual "new game", you just pray to receive yet another pair of blocks. I do like the rapid-fire ground shot, would've been great to see something more substantial with that.
I feel this way about the last two stages, once the Sheonites are introduced as bullet sponges. The constant stream of blue W's (which replenish their health) leads me to believe that Compile knew you weren't going to dodge everything. Of course, losing them at the final boss is practically a death sentence. What's also a death sentence: due to the random nature of power drops, the Sheonites never appearing at all! Very frustrating to say the least, but for some reason I found it more approachable than the original, maybe because there are power-ups and definitive stage ends and other niceties for games made after 1982. :mrgreen:

My favorite power up was also the rapid bomb, which if you didn't press the button would extend the radius of the bomb blast. Very useful in dealing with all the ground enemies and base bullshit of the last stage.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

To be honest, no real "stages" is one of my favorite things about Xevious, same with Daisenpuu. I just wish Xevious gave you an easy to read number.

Powerups aren't inherently good either. Checkpoint hell is a good example, and powerups are often yet another source of points that you lose when you die (rewarding the player over and over again for the same action). Every time I try to plan out a shmup, it quickly becomes clear that powerups need a lot of caution. At any rate, Xevious was clearly designed for its lack of powerups, while I'm not sure Fardraut Densetsu was clearly designed at all...
professor ganson

I'm playing Xevious: Fardraut on the PC Engine. Really fun game. So far I have 194,390 using the PC Engine's auto-fire options which are built into controller. It's nice not having constantly to press the bomb button.