The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fatchuck

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by fatchuck »

Anyone know if there's a well built Supergun for sale that uses Neo geo controllers?

thanks
hermit crab

Post by hermit crab »

fatchuck wrote:Anyone know if there's a well built Supergun for sale that uses Neo geo controllers?

thanks
MAK Strike
Make a missile snap a bone gristle.
NGAES

Post by NGAES »

Trying to hook up an arcade psu to a Vog. mk.3. From which pins does the Voga. take it's 5, -5, 12 from? Which ones needs to be connected? I.e does it need the trigger +5 on the board like modern computer psu's? Cause it the Voga doesn't light up when supplying 5,12 on the correct pins.

Anybody know?
XianXi

Post by XianXi »

NGAES wrote:Trying to hook up an arcade psu to a Vog. mk.3. From which pins does the Voga. take it's 5, -5, 12 from? Which ones needs to be connected? I.e does it need the trigger +5 on the board like modern computer psu's? Cause it the Voga doesn't light up when supplying 5,12 on the correct pins.

Anybody know?
Usually there is a sense line and it's usually 3.3v. On some PSUs you just need to jump the sense line to ground/green wire. Look up the model PSU you have.
NGAES

Post by NGAES »

Yeah, it's an arcade PSU. Just found out that the problem was a dodgy ATX-cable. All good now. The Voga doesn't need a sense just 5, 12 to the board. 8)
The Last Bandit

New Supergun :)

Post by The Last Bandit »

Just throwing it out there...

Support for console controllers
No pad hacks, just a simple adapter cable lets you connect any of the following controllers to the supergun. Player 1 & Player 2 can use different controller types simultaneously.
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Megadrive (3 & 6 button)
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony Playstation (Digital, Dual Analog, Dual Shock 1 & 2)
  • NES
  • SNES
  • PC-Engine
  • Turbo Grafx
  • Atari 2600
  • Neo Geo (no adapter cable required)
Any controller with more then 3 buttons have the extra buttons routed to the jamma board via the 'Expansion' connector and appropriate kick harness cable. Typically 'Start' & 'Select' on the controllers are mapped to 'Coin-Up' and 'Player Start'.

Multiple audio input sources
The audio source is user selectable between "Jamma / Stereo / MVS". The audio is attenuated using audio grade transformers so the signal is electrically isolated to protect the game boards.
Jamma takes the amplified Mono audio attenuates it and is output on both Left and Right SCART audio channels.
Stereo takes amplified stereo audio from the game board via the 'Expansion' connector and converts it to line level before routing to Left and Right SCART outputs respectively.
MVS takes the amplified stereo audio from the Jamma connector, attenuates it and sends it to the SCART Left and Right outputs.

Line-In jack overrides the audio switch 'S1' selection and passes the audio straight to the SCART outputs for jamma boards that have a 'line out' audio connector.

Line-Out jack lets you send the output audio to an external amp instead of the SCART audio outputs.

Kickharness support
The 'Expansion' connector lets you connect to game boards to use Buttons 4,5,6 for Players 1 & 2. Button 4 is also mapped to the Jamma connector for MVS boards. Probably not necessary for mnay schumps though :D

Other features
Easy adjustable thumb pots for RGB level adjustments
Terminal block power input so can use Jamma PSU or ATX PSU (with adapter cable)
Connector for Test/Service/MVS Select Up/MVS Select Down signals
All cable pinouts available so you can make your own adapter cables

Lite Version

Has all the above features except the audio handling. Audio is output directly to a speaker which is connected to the supergun.

XianXi

Post by XianXi »

No onboard button for service? That's an oversight.
The Last Bandit

XianXi wrote:No onboard button for service? That's an oversight.
Design decision not oversight. Can be accessed from header if needed.
XianXi

Post by XianXi »

The Last Bandit wrote:
XianXi wrote:No onboard button for service? That's an oversight.
Design decision not oversight. Can be accessed from header if needed.
Oversight. Many manufacturers require the service button to navigate the test menu. It's not like there wasn't enough space for just 1 more tac switch. People who buy these types of superguns usually don't wire stuff themselves.
The Last Bandit

Well that's the beauty of low volume proto builds, I can have it updated and a new batch of boards ordered in under an hour.
Any other suggestions ?
XianXi

Post by XianXi »

The Last Bandit wrote:Well that's the beauty of low volume proto builds, I can have it updated and a new batch of boards ordered in under an hour.
Any other suggestions ?
Of course, but it's your design. My snippet was only for customer convenience using your product.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

The audio switch version, but with an RGBs header and no adjustment pots, and without the controller conversion ICs, and sell it to me for $40 :wink:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I had to think about where to drop this...it seems kind of like it's trying to act sort of like a supergun for "present and future" systems but otherwise is an emulator box. Behold the chrome-plateness:
http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-mac ... b6822bfbbd
moh

Post by moh »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I had to think about where to drop this...it seems kind of like it's trying to act sort of like a supergun for "present and future" systems but otherwise is an emulator box. Behold the chrome-plateness:

why did you have to ruin my day, ed? :(
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

moh wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:I had to think about where to drop this...it seems kind of like it's trying to act sort of like a supergun for "present and future" systems but otherwise is an emulator box. Behold the chrome-plateness:

why did you have to ruin my day, ed? :(
BRO, IT'S AMERICAN MADE
Powered by a flux-capacitor
wut
coloradog1

Post by coloradog1 »

Hey guys. New to the site. I was wondering if anyone on here built and sold superguns? I am looking to pick one up, but they seem to be difficult to find. Any help would be appreciated.

Tony
alpachinko

Post by alpachinko »

coloradog1 wrote:Hey guys. New to the site. I was wondering if anyone on here built and sold superguns? I am looking to pick one up, but they seem to be difficult to find. Any help would be appreciated.

Tony
I'm sure arcadeforge.net sell them. I've ordered a few items off them over the years and would recommend them. Never got round to buying a supergun myself tho. I'm sure some of the vets will help point you in the right direction
ryu

Post by ryu »

I've done quite a bit of research and decided that I should try my hands at building my own supergun. However there are some things I'm still not sure about, mostly due to my lack of experience with arcade hardware in general. Therefore I'm just gonna dump my list of questions. I'd appreciate any kind of help solving these. :)

My general idea for the supergun is that it should be fully compatible with basic jamma and mvs systems. I thought of just using 1 or any number of switches necessary to switch between these two plugs (for example so that the test button signal will always reach the test button, depending on the plug used). I'm pretty sure this should work fine, but if anyone knows better I'd be glad to be corrected on this.

Questions regarding the MVS pinout:
1. What's up with the additional 2 coin switches? Is there any need for these on a supergun at all?
2. How come there are no negative lines for audio? Shouldn't audio signals always come with a positive and negative line?
3. Why does the select button have two pins? How should they be connected to a button?

About connecting the PSU, should all outputs (+5v, +12v, -5v) always be connected to the jamma wires?

Is there any other notable use for the jamma+ kick harness other than the added button support? Apparently two of these plugs carry ground. This is most likely a really stupid question, but would I need to be able to connect these to my supergun as well?
What kind of connection should I use on my supergun to accept the kick harness signals?

When using buttons 4-6 via kick harness, I'd end up having both the button D line from jamma and the button 4 line from the kick harness directly connected to my button 4 pin on the controller. Should I add a switch to cut the connection between jamma button D and button 4 on the controller out for use with the kick harness?

Do PCBs output composite or raw snyc? I want to go for straight RGBs on a SCART output, but preferably with composite sync.

A stupid question regarding ground: Can I use any of the ground lines from jamma for switches etc.? Is there no problem in using one ground line for multiple switches or otehr things?

And now the tricky stuff... I have basically next to absolutely no idea how to go about working with audio. Do absolutely all arcade games output pre-amped audio? Because in that case, if I can manage to build a proper attenuation circuit I could just drop an on/off switch for that and always use attenuated audio out.
About copying a mono signal to go into both speaker outputs: Do I just have to create a switch that, when set in the right direction, will root the left audio signal into the right audio output as well?

I'd like to know if it's a common thing for PCBs to have a stereo output separate from the jamma plugs. If that's the case I wonder if this is a universal thing that I can make compatible with a supergun by adding a specific plug and circuit.

Now my last issue is with the audio attenuation. I've found 2 circuit schematics for that: This one which seems pretty easy to do to me, and this one which I honestly don't understand at all (hopefully just yet).
I originally thought I could just go with the first one, but I've stumbled upon a post on another board where a user mentioned that the attentuation from that circuit causes a significant loss of audio quality. Does anyone here have any experience with that way of doing it and comment on the quality?
The second method looks really intriguing because the guy who came up with it mentioned that a more common way of doing it could harm audio equipment used with mono signals. Now I don't know if he's referring to the way it's shown on the other schematic (from thesupergun.com), but would is there a reason to worry about that at all when using L+R output for mono signals and having mono handled like stereo signals by the external amp?

And that's it. Although I didn't expect this to turn into such a wall of text. :?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

Can anybody tell me what the HD and CBC stands for please? Is the hd a headphone socket?

It's a Sigma AV7000

The sound going to my Hi fi is very low despite turning everything to max.

Edit: never mind. It's the headphone jack and colour burst correction. Still no idea why the volume is so low though :(

Edit 2: Mystery solved. Opened up the Sigma. Nothing wrong with it. Checked the scart cable found dodgy wiring.
RGB

Post by RGB »

I've recently finished a supergun, so I thought I'd share some pictures :)

This time I went for a rather simple design, it has an RGB video output only. I also used separate audio and video cables (but they meet at the scart plug) in case of any possible interference and also because it's now really easy to get the stereo audio directly from the systems like the CPS2, Taito F3, ST-V etc.

Sega Saturn controllers as usual. I'm using my converter with a coin emulator.

In addition to a built-in CPS2/3 kick harness the unit also has a detachable screw terminal block for other kick harnesses.

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Sexy!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

That is amazing.

I know I could probably build my own supergun but it would just be a mess of cables. :P
undamned

Post by undamned »

Beast work, as per usual, RGB! :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Wow that's nice!

Since I'm here, just a random question: Is it common to have unstable / wavy lines in RGB output from some supergun boards? Nope, I still haven't disassembled the Fire-Bug 'gun yet, just thought I'd ask in case anybody has thoughts on it.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

RGB should be rock solid. Normally people only install transcoders because component is preffered in America.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

This is why my supergun will never be finished ... it wouldn't be 1/10th as nice as RGB's work :cry:
RGB

Post by RGB »

Thanks guys :)

@Ed - What video encoder is in your supergun ?

edited, typo.
Last edited by RGB on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

shmuppyLove wrote:This is why my supergun will never be finished ... it wouldn't be 1/10th as nice as RGB's work :cry:
We should start some kind of weird club. I have two cabs, so I don't really need a supergun. But now I wanna make him build me one. :lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Daytime Dreamer

Post by Daytime Dreamer »

RGB wrote:I've recently finished a supergun, so I thought I'd share some pictures :)

So sexy and clean! Are you running this through an XRGB on that monitor?
RGB

Post by RGB »

Nope, it's a direct Scart connection. It looks surprisingly well, though.