Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Does the green ship in Dodonpachi DOJ even slow down when using the laser with Laser or Extra types? I'm not sure if I can feel a difference in move speed.
There's an easy way of comparing ship speeds: play it in MAME, set 1P and 2P to have the same controls except make shot and laser separate for 1P and 2P. It's also how you can see that the ships in Ketsui have very slightly different movement speeds when in lockshot (the straight shot ship is a bit faster). Move into the corner of the screen, start lasering with one ship, then move around and you'll see them split apart as they move if they move at different speeds.

DOJ is a bit tricky since you can't select both the same shot type (you can select the same ship type but you can't both be EX for instance), but I used B-L and B-EX to compare, and there is a noticeable speed difference when lasering. It's not much slower, but you do move faster when in rapid shot.
604_degrees

Post by 604_degrees »

604_degrees wrote:Does anyone remember name of the vertical shooter (arcanoid-like probably) with abstract graphics and a blue ship made of orbs? It is for the Classic Mac OS.
PegLeg! http://macintoshgarden.org/games/pegleg
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

mosey wrote:What will happen to everything in our carefully hoarded collections, once we are no more? Who will care as much as we do? Will a mint pcb be like my grandpa's meticulously oiled great war pistol? Is man more than an end unto himself?
I've worried about this,I should have put something similar in the "your fears" thread.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Is there any version of MAME out there that does not implement game-specific bug fixes (for bugs that are on the original hardware)? Specifically, I'm looking for one that properly emulates the graphical glitching in Espgaluda (when you cancel a whole bunch of bullets at a time) and the end-of-stage sound bug in DOJ.
nZero

Post by nZero »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:Is there any version of MAME out there that does not implement game-specific bug fixes (for bugs that are on the original hardware)? Specifically, I'm looking for one that properly emulates the graphical glitching in Espgaluda (when you cancel a whole bunch of bullets at a time) and the end-of-stage sound bug in DOJ.
It's not a bug fix, it's just incomplete emulation. It's actually easier to emulate an ideal version of the graphics hardware that doesn't suffer from the limitations that cause the graphical glitching, than to emulate way the chip actually behaves.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Ah, that sense. Thanks.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

So what is the standard setting for Strikers 1999? Jumbled up first 4 stages, or set first 4 stages?

I would actually like to learn this game and try to do the first loop but the changing stages always messes me up, just when I'm learning a specific stage 4 I then have to deal with another one on scoring runs, and it's a pain.

I ask as I always prefer to play with default arcade settings and if that means I am supposed to learn 4 different stage 4's, then so be it!
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think for most Psikyo games the first couple of stages are randomized by default.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yup, I think all Psikyo games have the first 4 stages randomized.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Jonst wrote:
mosey wrote:What will happen to everything in our carefully hoarded collections, once we are no more? Who will care as much as we do? Will a mint pcb be like my grandpa's meticulously oiled great war pistol? Is man more than an end unto himself?
I've worried about this,I should have put something similar in the "your fears" thread.
Ancient Sages wrote:"All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai."
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Illyrian wrote:So what is the standard setting for Strikers 1999? Jumbled up first 4 stages, or set first 4 stages?
Also, no secret ship ever if you're playing in an arcade! :V (Seriously, I've been to arcades where they have TWO Strikers 1999 cabs sitting in 'em and neither one had it enabled. ;_;) If you're playing in MAME, I don't think anyone will think less of you for fresh rebooting each time to get the same stage order, I remember that's what a lot of people did during STGT (you could theoretically keep playing in an arcade until you got that stage order too...).
mekanopsis

Post by mekanopsis »

Hi, I've looked for FAQ on this and searched the forum but couldn't find anything relevant;

Trying to get back into shmups after a visit to some arcades in Akihabara on a trip to Tokyo recently where I got a Hori fighter stick and vowed to finally overcome my shmup (and 2D fighter) mediocrity :evil:

What is the best current emulator for Linux for recent Cave shmups (DDP2, Ketsui etc.)?

SDLMame from Fedora repos won't load either nor will 0.152 from source. If this an issue about where to get ROMs in up-to-date formats I understand that can't be discussed here.

What is involved in compiling shmupmame for Linux? Do I just replace the drivers for the equivalent version of SDLMame with those in shmupmame and compile that?

Thanks..

EDIT: Sarcasm/trolling ignored
Last edited by mekanopsis on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Honey, we're going to run as fast as possible away from this thing before it starts shooting rings.
Too late, it's in the skies now!
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

I have a question concerning the game Patriot Dark. Ive noticed in some screenshots, a laser weapon being used. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this laser weapon. Ive googled it up to no avail. Anyone know how to use this weapon?
Check out my Youtube Channel! Pleeeeeeeease?
Latest Upload: DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou 360 1CC/DeathSmiles II X mode 1CC
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I found a website that had a bunch of DoDonPachi and R-Type sprite gifs.
Anyone know what that site was? I forgot.

It was not this. http://www.slateman.net/beestorm/
oboewan42

Post by oboewan42 »

I think I've got a handle on how Ibara Kuro's scoring works: BOMBA to produce medals, collect them to increase rank so you can graze more bullets, then cash in on a big graze chain by BOMBAing again. Am I on the right track or is my understanding of this game completely wrong?
i'm bad at video games
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

I heard that using the hadougun ( Holding the bomb button down till you hear the character go 'Ikuze!' I believe ) Is a better scoring tool to use in some situations, like a boss. Consistent Damage and medals in a nice column fashion. I honestly wish I could play this game without all the lag, but this PC sucks.
Check out my Youtube Channel! Pleeeeeeeease?
Latest Upload: DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou 360 1CC/DeathSmiles II X mode 1CC
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Does the PAL release of DFK allow you to swap BGM once you purchase the BL DLC?
Bradbury

Post by Bradbury »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Does the PAL release of DFK allow you to swap BGM once you purchase the BL DLC?

yes. you can set it even for each stage individual.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Who is the player of the F.8 million Iron Mackerel replay that you unlock in the Saturn port of Battle Garegga after clearing the game?

Thanks
chempop

Post by chempop »

Speaking of the saturn port of Garegga, does anyone remember how to unlock the wait control option? Seems my battery died on me.
Thanks!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think you just have to clear the game once on any difficulty level, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yep, you have to clear the game. It makes sense for the superplays, but pretty silly that you have to clear just to get slowdown.

I remember credit feeding stages 6 and 7 without looking, so that I could get slowdown without spoiling the stages I had yet to make it to.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

pestro87 wrote:Who is the player of the F.8 million Iron Mackerel replay that you unlock in the Saturn port of Battle Garegga after clearing the game?

Thanks
Probably some unknown guy. Keep in mind that both superplays (if you select it with the second controller you'll get to see a Bornnam superplay) are done with using restarts.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Oh, I see. I was wondering about that, certain parts looked almost TAS'd. Thanks for the info, Plasmo!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

What is the best stage order for scoring in Raiden Fighters?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Acid_Rain

Post by Acid_Rain »

I'm growing a bit tired of Futari BL for the moment…

What should I go for next? (aiming for a 1cc and scoring afterwards)
_Futari BL Maniac
_Futari 1.5 Original
_different game
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Espgaluda's always fun. Or Progear if you want a hori, they're both fun to work at the 1CC/1-All and there's a big gap between clearing the game and getting a good score on both of 'em.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I have a US 360 and a PAL copy of Dodonpachi Resurrection. Is there any way for me to purchase the Black Label DLC? In the DLC menu ingame the only tab available is "more information", there are no purchasing options available.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Seahawk wrote:I have a US 360 and a PAL copy of Dodonpachi Resurrection. Is there any way for me to purchase the Black Label DLC? In the DLC menu ingame the only tab available is "more information", there are no purchasing options available.
Think you need a european/australian/whatever gamertag to buy it. But not 100% sure.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.