SD: DDP DFK 1.5, quick 1-ALL and TSUUJOU 2nd loop entry

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
BER

SD: DDP DFK 1.5, quick 1-ALL and TSUUJOU 2nd loop entry

Post by BER »

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 gives you a generous array of weaponry for your survival: an autobomb feature, a rather powerful manual bomb, a bullet-canceling hyper weapon, and strong shots and lasers all around. But how do you put all of this together to nab yourself a quick 1-ALL clear or get on the fast track to the TSUUJOU (regular) second loop? I'll explain how.

What are the basic mechanics of this game? I think this guide summarizes all the basics decently: http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=704.0

What fighter should I use? B-STRONG or C-STRONG. I've used both to clear the first loop, and neither have a clear advantage over the other. B-STRONG is a little faster than C-STRONG, and its speed is handy for collecting hard-to-reach hidden bee items and dodging bullets in general. But in the later stages, if you swing the option shots too far off the left or right edges of the screen, more bullets will build up from the enemies that go untouched, and you'll have a tough time escaping. And I still find B-STRONG a little slow anyway. As for C-STRONG, the wide and fixed trajectories of the option shots will kill out of reach enemies, so it's good enough for the first loop. But if you want to take it to the second loop where the bullets are faster, it may be more difficult to improvise with the ship's slow speed. Try B-STRONG first, and if you get hit too much by out-of-reach enemies, switch to C-STRONG.

What videos are useful for developing easy survival strategies? I used these:
(If you don't have a Nico Nico Douga account, you can use this redirector to view them: http://mmcafe.com/nico.html.)

Pay particular attention to the following: when to use the hyper weapon, which enemies clear bullets once they're defeated, and how long to stay in point-blank range against tough opponents. Learning to close in on mid-bosses and bosses is particularly important. By using the laser's aura to attack these enemies, you can take out huge chunks of health and avoid seeing some nasty patterns that you would see if you keep them alive for too long.

When should I use the hyper weapon? These are based on the videos above:

Stage 1:
  • Right away on the mid-boss
Stage 2:
  • Right away on the mid-boss
  • Boss's first form, second attack: let the pink needles swirl around for a bit before using the hyper
Stage 3:
  • When the 1st and 2nd bee items are almost off the screen
  • Mid-boss?
  • 1up saucer
Stage 4:
  • First wide winged fighter when you leave the ground for the first time
  • End of mid-boss or bonus enemies afterward
  • Boss's first form after it releases all of its rockets
Stage 5:
  • Lasers from the right
  • Lasers from the left
  • Bonus enemies after the first mid-boss
  • The third-ish ring of bits that contract into a tight circle
  • Escaping from the last ring of bits (the hyper will carry over to the second mid-boss)
  • The huge Daioujou cannon near the end of the stage
  • Anytime for the boss for emergency evasion (best on the first form)
For stage 5, some of the hyper uses in the video are not listed here. That's because it's difficult to rebuild the hyper gauge so quickly, so I've listed the places in which you are highly likely to get a hyper weapon ready.

For stage 3's regular mid-boss, I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to use the hyper weapon here. All though the mid-boss has some crazy bullet patterns, it's tough to rebuild the hyper meter for the 1up saucer afterwards. And if you kill the 1up saucer with an autobomb, you won't get your 1up. I think it's better to deal with the mid-boss and save up your hyper for the 1up saucer. If you're fighting the URA (hidden) mid-boss instead, you will be able to rebuild the hyper meter for the 1up saucer with all the enemy lasers flying about, so go ahead and use the hyper weapon here.

Should I use the bomb manually? Yes! It has a longer invincibility window and more attack power than the autobomb. These come in handy for the mid-bosses, bosses, and maybe the rings of bits at stage 5. But everywhere else, these advantages don't come into play, so you can prepare for some autobombing. Here's where I often used the manual bomb:
  • Stage 3 boss, 2nd form x 1: After the fourth wide arc of pink bullets. Admittedly, I never used a manual bomb here, but I often ended up using an autobomb anyway with the six little maids and long blue arcs everywhere.
  • Stage 3 boss, 3rd form x 1: I rarely managed to kill the boss before the spam of blue bullets appeared, so I simply finished it off with a bomb here.
  • Stage 5 mid-boss #1 x 2: I could never get a hyper ready here, so I try to dodge everything. Then I start seeing autobombs go off everywhere...
  • Stage 5 mid-boss #2 x 2: Same reasoning as mid-boss #1. The first attack of both the regular and URA (hidden) mid-bosses are difficult, but the rest are easy.
  • Stage 5 boss x 7 (and one death): It's always sad to see the autobombs go off here. The first form takes three bombs and a hyper weapon to clear, the second form will probably take two bombs, and the third form will certainly take two bombs.
How will I know if my bomb stock is in good shape? First, some bad news: you most likely will not be able to get the extend from reaching the 100.0000.0000-point milestone. You will need to learn some scoring tactics for that. But you should be able to get the 1up from stage 3 and the extend from reaching the 10.0000.0000-point milestone. Overall, you'll have four spare lives. Now try to keep at this pace or better (the "used" count includes using one bomb or "using" one life):
  • End of stage 2: 1 used, 1 regained (Lives x 4, Bombs x 3). If you made one mistake in the first two stages, it's okay! You can regain a bomb just before the second boss.
  • Beginning of stage 3 boss: 1 used, 1 regained (Lx4, Bx3). Again, if you made one mistake in stage 3, you can regain the bomb before the boss. If you didn't, don't be an idiot like me and collect the bomb item at the end anyway. Although I never tried it, I think the bomb item will float around for a long time, so you can use a bomb on the second form and collect the bomb item to restock.
  • End of stage 3 boss: 2 used (Lx4, Bx1). These are for the two manual bombs used here.
  • End of stage 4: 3 used, 1 regained (Lx3, Bx4). I've done a few silly mistakes here. The boss should be easy, though.
  • Before the rings of bits in stage 5: 3 used (Lx3, Bx1). Two for manual bombs and one for any silly mistake.
  • After the rings of bits in stage 5: 13 used (Lx1, Bx4). It's way too tough to go through the rings of bits on improvisation alone. Prepare to see fireworks everywhere. If you end up releasing two autobombs in quick succession, next time you can use a manual bomb to buy some time and get better positioning.
  • End of stage 5 mid-boss #2: 2 used (Lx1, Bx2). Two manual bombs here.
  • Beginning of stage 5 boss: 3 used, 2 regained (Lx1, Bx1). Silly mistakes happen again, particularly with the wide stealthy-ish fighter that appears before the first battery of laser beams.
  • Stage 5 boss: 8 used (Lx0, Bx0). Seven manual bombs and one life here.
I've got my 1-ALL now! How do I get into the TSUUJOU (regular) second loop? Most likely, you'll be able to do it by collecting 35 of the 45 hidden bee items available. (You can also get in by using up to two bombs, but that's too hard right now.) First off, you need to take the URA (hidden) path of at least the first four stages. In the first stage, destroy any three of the oil containers before the tanks roll over them (according to other guides, there are particular oil containers that shouldn't be run over, but I've seen tanks run over these containers, and I gained access to the URA path anyway). Make sure that none are destroyed by the bomb and that you have a full hyper meter before the mid-boss appears. Once you're on the URA path, just don't die for the at least first three stages to continue along the path. If you happen to die on the fourth stage, it's okay, since you should have maybe 33 bee items at worst, and you can collect at least 2 more easily in stage 5.

As for the bee items, study the videos above and refer to the pictures on this web site: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Kni ... tiura.html.

I hope this guide will get you pretty far with some improvisation and some rudimentary memorization. But you'll need more practice to get farther into whatever second loop you choose.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
CptRansom

Re: SD: DDP DFK 1.5, quick 1-ALL and TSUUJOU 2nd loop entry

Post by CptRansom »

THANK YOU.
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

It was really cool finally meeting you BER, just as I expected another quality strategy guide, right on the heels of the XBOX 360 port release.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Awesome Strategy thanks for that.
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

VERY NICE guide here. Can't wait to try it out for myself
Check out my Youtube Channel! Pleeeeeeeease?
Latest Upload: DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou 360 1CC/DeathSmiles II X mode 1CC
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

So put the guide into use here. I still can't do it. Stage 5 on normal 1.5 is a nightmare. Even with the slowdown. Doesn't help that when other superplays come into mind, its very disheartening and discouraging.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That's because laser wheels are nightmarish.

Try out Arrange A. You will be delighted by Stage 5 in that mode, I promise you.
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

So I reached Stage 5 in Arrange A. That wasn't very nice. Although it was interesting to see the Laser Wheel bits could be destroyed. But Still. I'm looking for the easiest way to do this here.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The easiest way is to learn the stage. There's no tricks or secret techniques you're missing out on; you simply need to memorize when the laser wheels pop up and find a route to get through them that works for you. It's a massive jump in difficulty from stage 4 and is one of the hardest final stage levels in any Cave game. Mushi Futari's stage 5 is a cake walk in Original and Maniac by comparison, and pretty much any other Donpachi game have easier final levels. The only reason DFK as a whole is considered pretty easy to 1-All is that with the ability to cancel bullets in the first loop with hypers and autobombs in 1.5, it's much easier to get to the final stage with a massive stock of resources and then just bomb/hyper your way to victory.

Using manual bombs when the wheels appear then pointblanking them to quickly build up hyper might help. Even though you have autobombs it's better to manually bomb when you can because the duration is enormous compared to an autobomb.
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

That's the hard part for me there. Because when theres an oppurtunity to manual bomb, I'm thinking " What if I don't need to bomb? " THAT'S WHAT FUCKS ME UP! :evil:
FerociousSwan

Post by FerociousSwan »

One of the major things with Arrange A mode is the ability to hyper cancel.
You can abuse that pretty well to get you out of tight spots as you get 3 seconds of invincibility, same way you do when you begin a hyper.

Also if you hyper on top of a boss you'll inevitably fill up 1-2 bars of hyper alone.

There's even a cheap method on the Stage 5 boss where you continually hyper cancel over her until she's pretty much destroyed.

1.5 is a different matter of course ...
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Thx.

I'll have to read and look this manual/video...

My first attempt in the battle with the Area 5 Boss.
Many lives/bombs lost on the fifth level, shame, noob.

Start of the fifth level:

nesrulz - DDP DFK 1.5 - Area 5 - Boss C-Strong - first time:

btw, also good video for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUHalGFAsc
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

FUK!

START:

END:

Will be...
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is7yeC3sRzo&t=7m

This should help. You only really have to dodge one attack for the entire fight.

Some tips, as a player far shittier than Errpo that has been copying this play:

Hyper before the boss even shows up. Your hyper gauge is saved if a boss is approaching. Don't worry about having half a hyper meter like Errpo does, you should be able to fill the hyper with that first point-blank either way.

In phase two first attack with the canisters and purple trails, don't worry about getting your hyper as high as he does. You have plenty of time to fill it just with the laser while you dodge the 2nd attack. Its easy to die here if you try to point-blank the first canister attack as much as he does.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Thank you, I'll see to study.

In particular, my problem is > I do not like to learn via video. :)
I have to force myself.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Damn, again.

This time I was even closer...

My problem is on the way to the final boss, many lives lost. Fucking much.

START:
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

So, it looks like you have 3 lives remaining at the descent after 1st midboss? So, my guess is the laser wheels are taking those 20 lives/bombs?

I hate to say it... but the best way to deal with that section is to watch that video. It is much easier if you have a plan as to how to move through that section.

If you are getting hit too much during the descent after 1st midboss from trying to stream left and right, its not a bad place to toss a hyper down. Its what I do if my run is going well up to that point.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

dunpeal2064 wrote:So, my guess is the laser wheels are taking those 20 lives/bombs?
Yes.

I'll have to learn sections with lasers.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa...

nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Yeah, finally. 8)

One bomb was left unused. :)

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p996716

btw, thank you for your support dunpeal2064.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Congrats nesrules. You kept going at it even after deaths on the last boss, very impressive.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Here it is, finally, my DDP DFK 1.5 1CC video.

I had big problems with MAME output AVI file, with compression. In fact, YouTube not accept my full video, probably due to deceleration in the video. It's funny, because my videos for the DS MBL and Futari BL did not make these problems, and there was Blitter deceleration even stronger - 63% compared to the 50%.

All in all, I play the video via KMPlayer, and then do it again, live recorded with Fraps program. Then I compress all 5 parts.

Basically, the video is online. :)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCJbNMBA ... Uko6ePGUHg
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OiXJGnb ... Uko6ePGUHg
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcz94jb ... Uko6ePGUHg
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=598NYH19 ... Uko6ePGUHg
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcrOQVi ... Uko6ePGUHg

I apologize for the slightly lower quality.

Anyway, the chopping and deceleration in these videos are stronger than the original output video file, as well as the game itself. Where everything is smoother, better and faster. It could not be better - because of the already mentioned YT problem.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

inb4 trap says your 1-all is not legit because mame.

Btw nice to see an another 1-all.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Mimeslayer

Post by Mimeslayer »

Hate to bump an old thread, but I am struggling to get over the "last hurdle" needed to get an 1-all. I don't have a lot of time lately to grind practice due to work and school. There was a discussion recently about people needing to seek help instead of banging their heads against a brick wall, so I decided to give this a shot.

I cannot enter the final boss with enough bombs to beat her, and I'm way to inconsistent, if not just plain bad, at certain sections to see progress. Right now I'm using B-Strong (was using C-Strong but the lack of speed was really starting to get to me). My best run with C-Strong ended with me reaching the final boss with 3 bombs (I need at least 5-6 minimum to beat her with that ship). With B-Strong I've entered her with 1 bomb on my best run (need at least 4). I've watched several videos for routes and even Hydeux's 1-sissy video for general advice. They helped until now but I feel like I've hit a wall.

If I had to point out specific problem spots, I would say they are stages 3 and 5:
  • The first half of stage 3 always ends up eating an auto-bomb or 2. That doesn't include the manual bomb I always use on the midboss because I cannot figure out how to dodge him for the life of me. After that is fine until stage 3 boss fight; mainly the fast first attack of the final phase. Every video I've watched simply streams it, but every time I try that myself I get hit (sometimes multiple times).

The middle of stage 5 is by far my worst spot. I can't do the part immediately following the first midboss without a well-timed hyper to cancel everything; it just feels too dense to u-stream for some reason. After that all of the tanks and structures that the laser wheel [bits] protect always fuck me over. I cannot for the life of me figure out a consistent route that allows me to kill all of those evil little fuckers without ramming bits left-and-right or throwing out manual bombs like crazy. 99% of my attempts, practice or otherwise, sees me simply shooting bits instead of tanks, getting "walled", and ramming bullets like I'm magnetically attracted to them.
There's other problem areas but these two are, in my opinion, the ones that flat-out ruin my runs the worst. Is there any videos or advice someone can give? Is there anything I can add to help clarify my issues?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Mimeslayer wrote:Is there anything I can add to help clarify my issues?
are you playing on mame? because it's nearly unplayable on that and a 1-all with strong should be a joke otherwise
there is no reason to get hit on the st3 boss final phase because it's really all aimed at you and mame has a lot of input lag
Mimeslayer

Post by Mimeslayer »

No I'm playing on a 360. Yes I know that the game's a joke for anybody decent at the genre. No simply reminding me of that fact and walking away is not helpful in the least. :roll: I know it's aimed, but I still get hit, so either I'm over-streaming it or not streaming enough.

Anything more specific to my problems or, you know, helpful?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

i was just making sure since walking away is really the best solution for the awful mame emulation, anyways:

st3 midboss - are you getting the regular or ura route one? because the ura route midbosses are actually easier than the regular ones and the st3 one can be almost completely disarmed by hypering it immediately at point blank which removes all the cannons

st3 boss final phase - try not tapping all the time, just watch the bullets heading at you and move out of the way before it hits you, the boss also seems to take more damage from the side (and its collision hitbox is only in the center) so you could point blank it, pop a hyper when it starts shooting and the final phase should die before your own invincibility ends

no idea about what could be causing problems in st3 first half, more details on what enemies in particular?

stuff after the 1st st5 midboss is on the harder side, st5 midbosses are easier on ura as well and on ura route you get 2 bees after the descent ends so you can use a hyper there and still have a hyper ready when the laser wheel part of the stage starts

general tip for laser wheels: just pop a hyper and use the invincibility to run through the enemies that are protected by it, you can do the same when the hyper ends(especially against the very first set of wheels, just wait for your hyper to end and abuse that to get out of it safely)

more general tips: hypers speed up the bullets but the shot generates a lot of slowdown, abuse that against stuff like hard boss patterns or anything in general

hypering increases hyper rank which is reset after every stage in 1st loop, higher hyper rank=harder to cancel bullets
autobombs don't lower it but manual bombs and dying do, so it's way better to just use manual bombs if something is giving you a lot of trouble (and make sure to point blank the boss while the manual bomb is on the screen)

when blocking a laser with your own laser, if you switch to shot there is a delay before the enemy laser starts moving towards you again - you can keep switching laser/shot safely to kill stuff on the sides or cancel bullets when in hyper

here's a decent route for surviving the laser wheels
Mimeslayer

Post by Mimeslayer »

That was a lot closer to what I needed. Thank you!

Some of the stuff (like rapidly switching between laser and shot) I found out by watching Youtube videos, but some of this stuff I never knew about.
Bananamatic wrote: st3 midboss - are you getting the regular or ura route one? because the ura route midbosses are actually easier than the regular ones and the st3 one can be almost completely disarmed by hypering it immediately at point blank which removes all the cannons

st3 boss final phase - try not tapping all the time, just watch the bullets heading at you and move out of the way before it hits you, the boss also seems to take more damage from the side (and its collision hitbox is only in the center) so you could point blank it, pop a hyper when it starts shooting and the final phase should die before your own invincibility ends
Typically I stick with the standard route because I always assumed it was the easier of the two. If what you say about the midbosses is true then I have to focus more on perfect bee collections for sure.

Also I never knew about that hyper trick on Perfect* before. I just tested it out and while it seems that the attack in theory lasts too long for invincibility to completely cheese it, it dies before it becomes threatening anyways. I never would've thought of that.
no idea about what could be causing problems in st3 first half, more details on what enemies in particular?
Hmm...I'd say my problems tend to start around the point where the two big (bullet cancelling) ships appear on either side of the screen and there's one giant laser in the middle. It tends to end after the midboss. I try Hydeux's route to hyper before that point then save one for scoring but by the time I reach the midboss I inevitably screw up somewhere in between. It's a large gap I know but it's hard to pinpoint where exactly my problem lies since I seem to get hit randomly at different points.
stuff after the 1st st5 midboss is on the harder side, st5 midbosses are easier on ura as well and on ura route you get 2 bees after the descent ends so you can use a hyper there and still have a hyper ready when the laser wheel part of the stage starts
If I remember correctly you need to ND the run up until stage 5 to stay in the Ura route correct? If so then that's going to be hard to do.
general tip for laser wheels: just pop a hyper and use the invincibility to run through the enemies that are protected by it, you can do the same when the hyper ends(especially against the very first set of wheels, just wait for your hyper to end and abuse that to get out of it safely)
I see what you mean in your video (how you run through the blue bits at the end of the first set). I'll see what I can do to replicate that; maybe activate a hyper there if I don't have one by the beginning.
autobombs don't lower it but manual bombs and dying do, so it's way better to just use manual bombs if something is giving you a lot of trouble (and make sure to point blank the boss while the manual bomb is on the screen)
Somehow I never knew that manual bombs and dying lowered the rank. I knew manual bombing had other benefits (longer invincibility, more damage, etc) but never that. I feel stupid(er) now. :oops:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

rank doesn't really matter until the 2nd loop though, where rank only halves after every stage rather than nulls completely, has a higher cap and it results in cancelling bullets generating more counter bullets rather than just making cancelling harder

also IIRC you stay on ura just by not dying to a midboss, autobombs are fine
if you unlock ura on st1 you go ura routes all the way unless you break it by dying, if you miss it there you can still enter it on st3(or st4? not sure) by having perfect bee collection

st5 2nd midboss is kind of an exception, I believe the regular and ura midbosses are about equal there but the 1st st5 one is way harder on regular route
Mimeslayer

Post by Mimeslayer »

I'd like to return to the subject of the merits of entering the (1st loop) Ura route in the first place. Either we have different definitions of "easier" or I'm just that used to the standard route because at least half of the loop-1 Ura midbosses and routes feel noticeably harder than the standard routes; namely stages 1, 2, and 4 take a big jump. The first two mainly are at the midbosses and are easy after that, but both the stage 4 Ura midboss and route, while maybe not necessarily "hard" to a better player, definitely don't feel as easy to me as the standard ones.

The way I'm starting to see it, I need to just keep that bomb on the stage 3 standard midboss and wait until stages 3 and 4 to collect bees and enter the Ura route (assuming it's collect all bees in two straight stages). Otherwise it's going to take a decent amount of practice to no-bomb stage 4 Ura route consistently.

On the good news front, I believe I found a new scoring route that'll easily give me the 1st score extend in stage 4, meaning I can focus on other things for the first 3 stages.