Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Squire Grooktook

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Is there any easy way of getting the non windowed version of Iwanaga and Vacant Ark running on a 64 bit windows 7 system? I believe the draw distance error I'm getting is a result of windows 7 not being able to full screen games that have 640x480 resolution.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Does using the charge/melee attack in the original Gunbird lower your power level? At random points during the game, it seems like I go down a power level, without even touching an enemy.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

That's an old mechanic that Psikyo's designer had been using for a long time, and only abandoned around Strikers 1945 II. Basically, if you're at max power, you can only shoot so many shots, and then you power down one level. Older games of his, from Video System, had that happen on any power level.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Are there any monitors out there that can be safely rotated for tate mode use? As in, they have some sort of extra mobility without having to rotate the whole damn thing, stand and all?
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
mosey

Post by mosey »

There will be once you design one :mrgreen:
japtor

Post by japtor »

Well there's a bunch of LCDs that rotation built in but for CRTs...well can you count Egrets as monitors? It's just a really elaborate casing!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Oniros wrote:Are there any monitors out there that can be safely rotated for tate mode use? As in, they have some sort of extra mobility without having to rotate the whole damn thing, stand and all?
Yes, they're inside Egret II arcade cabinets. Has a rotate mechanism and auto deguass.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Looks like Toaplan Shooting Battle v. 1 has not yet been released in digital form on PSN. Is there a passable option for playing Twin Cobra on a recent console?
dark

Post by dark »

What is up with the large ship in Radirgy Noa that you gradually whittle its health down in between levels? Is this the true last boss if you fulfill some conditions or something?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

trap15 wrote:That's an old mechanic that Psikyo's designer had been using for a long time, and only abandoned around Strikers 1945 II. Basically, if you're at max power, you can only shoot so many shots, and then you power down one level. Older games of his, from Video System, had that happen on any power level.
Omg, TURBO FORCE is so annoying for that. It does kind of make up for it by being very generous with the power-ups, but still.

It's an interesting way to penalize just constantly flailing with autofire on.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

shmuppyLove wrote:
trap15 wrote:That's an old mechanic that Psikyo's designer had been using for a long time, and only abandoned around Strikers 1945 II. Basically, if you're at max power, you can only shoot so many shots, and then you power down one level. Older games of his, from Video System, had that happen on any power level.
Omg, TURBO FORCE is so annoying for that. It does kind of make up for it by being very generous with the power-ups, but still.

It's an interesting way to penalize just constantly flailing with autofire on.
It makes for really annoying going during boss-fights when you suddenly and unexpectedly drop a power level.

It seems it happens with any power level on Gunbird though as well.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

dark wrote:What is up with the large ship in Radirgy Noa that you gradually whittle its health down in between levels? Is this the true last boss if you fulfill some conditions or something?
The Dreamer09 is not a true last boss but completely destroying him before it runs away on the 4th battle grants you a generous amount of points plus a Milestone logo that is also worth some points that makes it easier to reach to second extend. The power slash multiplier can be applied to the Dreamer09's destruction, but not to the logo. Your usual multiplier applies to both.
Furthermore, I think you'll get the true ending if you manage to clear the game in a run where the Dreamer09 was destroyed, and that would be how you get an "ALL" instead of an "ALL?".

This mid-boss is also the only enemy in the game on which you can safely sit like in the other cell-shaded Milestone games, as far as I remember.

EDIT : The only aerial enemy, I mean. You can hover over ground ennemies of course.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
oboewan42

Post by oboewan42 »

Does the announcer in any of the Gradius games ever actually say "Shoot the core!"

I know he says "Destroy the core!" but I'm wondering if "Shoot the core!" is an example of a BeamMeUpScotty (TVTropes warning).
i'm bad at video games
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

oboewan42 wrote:Does the announcer in any of the Gradius games ever actually say "Shoot the core!"
The Salamander 2 guy says it in a few spots.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Is it a known issue that you don't get any tick points (from just shooting enemies without destroying them) when playing Batrider in shmupmame3b? Seems very strange if that's the case since all the other Raizingers work fine. Also crappy since it's the only emulator where you get ok input lag (2 frames).
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

ciox wrote:Is it a known issue that you don't get any tick points (from just shooting enemies without destroying them) when playing Batrider in shmupmame3b? Seems very strange if that's the case since all the other Raizingers work fine. Also crappy since it's the only emulator where you get ok input lag (2 frames).
try 142_u3 lagless, works fine, if you are okay with only command prompt.

From what i know, you get tick points from almost anything your shot or option can collide with, dont know about shmupmame, but all other versions of mame comply quite splendidly (apart from the missing glass pane). Also, chum uses shmupmame AFAIK, and he is quite good at batrider( has all character 1CC for advanced mode, that means he his close to god like, but aquas holds the western record, so he is god of this side of the hemisphere)
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
CaptainAhab

Post by CaptainAhab »

Is there any hope that Cave's shmups will ever be ported over to Steam?

I would like to play many of them, but I lack a Japanese Xbox 360, and those console+ game import prices prevent me from getting one for quite some time, if ever. I'm set for a while as far as shmups go, but I'm thinking farther down the line.

Thank you!
seraph

Post by seraph »

I'd like for that to happen, but I'm not sure how easy it is (see: this article). CAVE has, however, acknowledged the possibility (see here and here).
CaptainAhab

Post by CaptainAhab »

seraph wrote:I'd like for that to happen, but I'm not sure how easy it is (see: this article). CAVE has, however, acknowledged the possibility (see here and here).
Thank you for the quick reply.

It is great that they acknowledged the possibility about a year ago; unfortunately, as expected, their responses were extremely vague at best. As per your first link, it's true, I haven't gone to the lengths to import a Japanese 360 or games -- though I'm new to the genre, so I would have to delve in a bit more (I have Jamestown and Bug Princess 2 that I'm working through right now and enjoying, and then I plan on starting to fire up MAME and check out the Touhou games available on Windows) before deciding whether spending roughly $350 for a console, then anywhere from $35-$65 for each game is worth it to me. I mean, I can't read one character of Japenese, so chances are I would never be able to pick one up anyway.

If each of the titles were ever available on Steam, well, that would be a different story; I'd snap them up like hotcakes, and I'm sure many other Steam users would as well. It's a shame there seem to be so many hoops to jump through for any of the Cave games to make it to Steam, but here's hoping.
ciox

Post by ciox »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
ciox wrote:Is it a known issue that you don't get any tick points (from just shooting enemies without destroying them) when playing Batrider in shmupmame3b? Seems very strange if that's the case since all the other Raizingers work fine. Also crappy since it's the only emulator where you get ok input lag (2 frames).

From what i know, you get tick points from almost anything your shot or option can collide with, dont know about shmupmame, but all other versions of mame comply quite splendidly (apart from the missing glass pane). Also, chum uses shmupmame AFAIK, and he is quite good at batrider( has all character 1CC for advanced mode, that means he his close to god like, but aquas holds the western record, so he is god of this side of the hemisphere)
I've only been able to get 2 frames in Shmupmame 3b, nothing else really worked. Chum uses Shmupmame 4.2 from what I know, and that doesn't surprise me since ticking points are huge in Batrider, might switch to 4.2 myself.
CaptainAhab

Post by CaptainAhab »

I'm sure this has been asked countless times so it doesn't deserve a thread, but anyway...

I just completed Bug Princess 2 on iOS for the first time on Normal difficulty, and I'll be going for 1cc before continuing onwards to harder difficulties. I realized that this is a title by CAVE, and found a few others on the App Store by the company.

If I want more games like this, which companies/games should I be looking out for? I'm afraid that many of them are only on Xbox 360 in Japan, and I don't think I'll ever have the funds to import any of those. Am I missing out if I just stick with a US Xbox 360, MAME, and Windows 7? I guess this leads up to the question -- do you think it's worth importing a Japanese 360 and some Japanese shmups?

Cheers. Back to Jamestown!
Squire Grooktook

saucykobold wrote:
oboewan42 wrote:Does the announcer in any of the Gradius games ever actually say "Shoot the core!"
The Salamander 2 guy says it in a few spots.
The announcer in Gradius IV also says it on the stage 2 boss.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

ciox wrote:
nasty_wolverine wrote:

I've only been able to get 2 frames in Shmupmame 3b, nothing else really worked. Chum uses Shmupmame 4.2 from what I know, and that doesn't surprise me since ticking points are huge in Batrider, might switch to 4.2 myself.
I use Mameplus 106 for the Raizing games as per recommendation of Icarus. May be hard to find but it is on Marp... I had to turn off my antivirus however, to download it. The no tic points thing is quite odd though. ShmupMAME4.2 is laggier than what I'm using... and 3.0 doesn't run on my system.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

ciox wrote:Is it a known issue that you don't get any tick points (from just shooting enemies without destroying them) when playing Batrider in shmupmame3b?
Are you using the correct romset for Batrider? I've never seen the no tickpoints thing ever since I've been playing it.

Also:
Aquas wrote:I use Mameplus 106 for the Raizing games as per recommendation of Icarus.
WolfMAME 0.106: http://wolfmame.marpirc.net
From personal testing, it's far better at being lagless for Raizing games than any variant of ShmupMAME, and only bettered by KET's build of GareggaMAME 0.90v3 for Battle Garegga.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Well, region is definitely Japan and I can confirm the same romset has tick points in other emulators but does not in Shmupmame3b, it works just fine in WolfMame 0.106 so I'll stick with that. Thanks for the tips!
Squire Grooktook

Does the green ship in Dodonpachi DOJ even slow down when using the laser with Laser or Extra types? I'm not sure if I can feel a difference in move speed.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Pteriforever

Post by Pteriforever »

How many stages does one-two have? 4? I have no way of knowing since there's no practice mode.
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2
RegalSin wrote:The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art
seraph

Post by seraph »

I've searched the internet in English and Japanese but I still don't know if there are scoreboards for Kamui other than the one on this forum, since it's a doujin game. Does anyone know if they exist?
mosey

Post by mosey »

What will happen to everything in our carefully hoarded collections, once we are no more? Who will care as much as we do? Will a mint pcb be like my grandpa's meticulously oiled great war pistol? Is man more than an end unto himself?
604_degrees

Post by 604_degrees »

Does anyone remember name of the vertical shooter (arcanoid-like probably) with abstract graphics and a blue ship made of orbs? It is for the Classic Mac OS.