shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:14 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1051 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 am 



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 759
Location: Sweden
Thanks for the reply! This sounds all quite good, and even with the most expensive shipping option, it's cheaper than ordering from Play-Asia.
_________________
1cc list
Maintaining the Dodonpachi Saidaioujou hi scores table (please PM me if you urgently want your scores added)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 239
Hey guys,

So I have owned an american XBOX 360 for several years now....have an established xbox live gold account with a ton of purchased titles on the hard drive, etc. Now I finally bit the bullet and picked up a J360 for all the cave goodies, and have it running in my cab right now. However, I'm confused about xbox live. DO I create a new account for my j360 or just use my old one? I only want to have one gold as I don't want to double pay, and i pretty much just use that for netflix, etc....so I'll probably leave it on the american 360....but I'm wondering about the japanese marketplace. If I use my us account, will I be missing out on certain japanese exclusives in the marketplace? If so, can I maybe have both a japanese account and my us xbox live account on the j360? Can I get away with using my us account to see scoreboard rankings on my japanese games or is that impossible?? I guess I just need this xbox live thing explained to me now that different regions are coming into play.

Thanks in advance everybody!
_________________
-------------------------

Makaimura superplays (1 life clears!): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 62dgrlNU1w
Mr Driller superplays: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E3X3q9A7Wf


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:56 am 



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 345
You can use your profile just fine on both boxes. I am 95% sure that these days, with all the newer live updates, you can download your normal profile onto the new box and it will exist on both without having to re-download each time, and when you connect to live it will update whatever achievements you got after a few moments. If I am just imagining things, the next easiest thing to do is keep it on a usb stick and just plug that in each time you switch. You can still play the Japan region games and see the leaderboards just fine and all that with your US account.

What marketplace you have access to is based on what region your tag is, you can browse any regions marketplace from any xbox if you have the right tag, but some of the time to buy something and actually download it, you will not only need the correct region tag but also an IP address matching that region. Live will periodically check your IP during the download towards the end and if it doesn't match what it "should" it resets the download. It can even detect a shared connection through your PC if you use the VPN client in windows 8.

Typically the rule is, Games on Demand is IP locked, but there are sometimes individual exceptions. Paid DLC for retail games shouldn't be IP locked, but I'm only 95% sure there. Arcade stuff is not IP locked, and should have the same contents for every region, but download codes for arcade stuff as well as bonuses like first print codes need the correct region to download and are not IP locked. It's changing soon but right now you need Japanese MS points for Japanese marketplace purchases.

It's easier than ever now to create any region account, just make a throwaway US account and login to the live website and somewhere in there you can do a region change every 3 months or so, so you don't have to figure out addresses or whatever. Points will transfer regions this way, and your download history will convert into the new regions, however you can run into IP locks this way, or the game not existing on the new marketplace. So be careful if you ever do that with an account you actually care about.

In my experience I've always had whatever main US account I was using at the time and then a throwaway Japan account for downloading special stuff. Once you download something with the Japanese account it can be played on the same console it was downloaded to by any account, and can be license transferred every 3 months to another console with the same results. So hang onto that username/password. You can get rid of any dreams of downloading shooting love or radirgy or whatever off the JP GoD, at least without a VPN and not windows 8, or a VPN at the router level.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 239
Thanks! Ok, I've downloaded my old profile on the new box. Question....what about the games that I bought on my US console in the marketplace?

Guwange, Death Smiles 2, futari black label, etc.

Is there any way I can play those on my j360 or do I have to rebuy them?
_________________
-------------------------

Makaimura superplays (1 life clears!): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 62dgrlNU1w
Mr Driller superplays: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E3X3q9A7Wf


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2563
Location: DC Area
mikehaggar wrote:
Thanks! Ok, I've downloaded my old profile on the new box. Question....what about the games that I bought on my US console in the marketplace?

Guwange, Death Smiles 2, futari black label, etc.

Is there any way I can play those on my j360 or do I have to rebuy them?


Check this to see how to redownload games you've already bought on your profile: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live ... ad-history
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 239
Thanks! So downloaded arcade games are not region locked?
_________________
-------------------------

Makaimura superplays (1 life clears!): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 62dgrlNU1w
Mr Driller superplays: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E3X3q9A7Wf


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 355
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Downloaded arcade games are not region locked. If you want to play them on a different X360 then you will need to be signed into the account that bought them while connected to the internet. It's possible to change which console is the "native" one that doesn't require an online connection.

Games on demand are sometimes region locked.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 5395
Location: New Zealand
hail good sir wrote:
You can get rid of any dreams of downloading shooting love or radirgy or whatever off the JP GoD, at least without a VPN and not windows 8, or a VPN at the router level.


Actually, Radirgy NOA does not require a VPN and therefore isn't IP-locked as per the ever-updating Games on Demand Wiki. It is region-locked though, so it would require a Japanese 360.

I've just updated the Games on Demand part of my guide, hopefully this makes things clearer.

Elixir wrote:
Games on Demand releases:

Full retail games available on the Hong Kong and Japanese Xbox 360 marketplaces. For region-locking and IP-locking information, see here. This is a Japanese Wiki covering games on different Games on Demand stores. As such, this is speaking from a perspective for people with Japanese 360s. For now, we're going to be looking at the Hong Kong store. This page I have linked links to and covers the Hong Kong's Games on Demand store, and is listed as follows:

First section: no VPN required, no IP-lock. Games has been released in Japan.
Second section: no VPN required, no IP-lock. Game has NOT been released in Japan.
Third section: VPN required, IP-locked. Game has been released in Japan.
Fourth section: VPN required, IP-locked. Game has NOT been released in Japan.
Fifth section: Region-locked (does not work on Japanese 360s).

1. Is the game you're looking at buying from the Hong Kong Games on Demand store listed here?
2. Is the game playable on your console's region? Digital and physical releases are the same console-wise, so find the game's listing on Play-Asia and see for yourself.
3. Is the game listed in the first two categories? If yes, no VPN is required. Purchase and download.
4. Is the game listed in the third or fourth categories? If yes, a VPN is required for the beginning and end of the download's IP check.


I know my registration process is outdated, but I'll leave it until the 360's dead before going through that again.
_________________
Image
twitter.com/shmups
discord.gg/shmups


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm 



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 16
Location: uk
Just bought jap xbox360, its in the post but it comes with jap power supply. I read most people here use regional power supplies, im pal region. My question is i've always used a step down on my import consoles, is using a regional power supply better in anyway and has anyone blown their consoles using wrong power supplies.
Thxs


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Posts: 652
Can someone tell me a good "cheap" way to purchase a J360 from the US? That HK site posted says out of stock.

And what is a decent shipped price for a new one? I might end up going the used route if there isn't a decent new option, and I don't want to pay too much.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2117
cicada88 wrote:
Can someone tell me a good "cheap" way to purchase a J360 from the US?


I dont know about "cheap", but you can buy one from Play Asia.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 31
Location: Shinobi World, USA
Can anyone confirm if Ginga Force & Eschatos Wonder Pack is region free?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:58 pm 



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 759
Location: Sweden
Yes, it is region-free.
_________________
1cc list
Maintaining the Dodonpachi Saidaioujou hi scores table (please PM me if you urgently want your scores added)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2117
alexkidd401 wrote:
Can anyone confirm if Ginga Force & Eschatos Wonder Pack is region free?


Check this kind of things on Play-Asia.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 39
Location: Manchester UK
Kid wrote:
Just bought jap xbox360, its in the post but it comes with jap power supply. I read most people here use regional power supplies, im pal region. My question is i've always used a step down on my import consoles, is using a regional power supply better in anyway and has anyone blown their consoles using wrong power supplies.
Thxs


I use a PAL power cable with my old style Japanese XBox and have had no issues. Not sure with the slimmer xbox consoles though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Posts: 6679
Location: Casino Arcade (RIP), UK.
alpachinko wrote:
Kid wrote:
Just bought jap xbox360, its in the post but it comes with jap power supply. I read most people here use regional power supplies, im pal region. My question is i've always used a step down on my import consoles, is using a regional power supply better in anyway and has anyone blown their consoles using wrong power supplies.
Thxs


I use a PAL power cable with my old style Japanese XBox and have had no issues. Not sure with the slimmer xbox consoles though.


Me too. I bought a JPN 360 (old white style) with no cables, controller, hard drive or anything.

And it works lovely with my PAL (old white style) 360's Power cable/brick, hard drive, AV cables etc. I just switch everything back and forth to move between regions.
_________________
Image
My Hi-Scores | My 1CCs


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 39
Location: Manchester UK
spadgy wrote:
Me too. I bought a JPN 360 (old white style) with no cables, controller, hard drive or anything.

And it works lovely with my PAL (old white style) 360's Power cable/brick, hard drive, AV cables etc. I just switch everything back and forth to move between regions.


Does get a little tiresome sometimes doesn't it? To be honest though I rarely use the UK xbox these days, so don't know what I am moaning for.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Posts: 6679
Location: Casino Arcade (RIP), UK.
alpachinko wrote:
spadgy wrote:
Me too. I bought a JPN 360 (old white style) with no cables, controller, hard drive or anything.

And it works lovely with my PAL (old white style) 360's Power cable/brick, hard drive, AV cables etc. I just switch everything back and forth to move between regions.


Does get a little tiresome sometimes doesn't it? To be honest though I rarely use the UK xbox these days, so don't know what I am moaning for.


Exactly. Only once in a while do I need the PAL machine. Many PAL releases run fine on my JPN 360. Last game I swapped over for was Skylanders Giants. :oops: I was playing it to review it, so there's an excuse, but the reality is I got really into Skylanders (probably gonna have my mod status taken aware for that admission!).
_________________
Image
My Hi-Scores | My 1CCs


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 39
Location: Manchester UK
spadgy wrote:
Exactly. Only once in a while do I need the PAL machine. Many PAL releases run fine on my JPN 360. Last game I swapped over for was Skylanders Giants. :oops: I was playing it to review it, so there's an excuse, but the reality is I got really into Skylanders (probably gonna have my mod status taken aware for that admission!).


Haha. Shame on you!

This man needs stripping of his mod status ASAP :wink:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:13 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 921
Location: Austria
Does anyone know, if I buy a game on the european xbl marketplace which is region locked as retail version, is the download version also region locked?
_________________
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 39
Location: Manchester UK
antares wrote:
Does anyone know, if I buy a game on the european xbl marketplace which is region locked as retail version, is the download version also region locked?


Yeah it will be region locked too. It may let you download it but won't let you play. I tried for instance playing a PAL version of Diablo 3 which I bought on XBL on UK machine on my Japanese console. XBLA games seem to work on all consoles, or at least I've never had an issue


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 921
Location: Austria
OK, thanks. I thought it would be like this :/
_________________
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 100
I want some more content - got all the disk based shooters and all of the downloadable titles I would care for. What DLC (that can be got - not futari 1.01 or whatever) are the most worthwhile?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:07 pm 



Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 613
Biased post:
Otomedius G Moai stage is pretty top tier.

Poini Coon is DLC and is pretty effing broken.

Esmeralda is Top Tier Broken.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1150
Location: safespot
dieKatze88 wrote:
Biased post:
Otomedius G Moai stage is pretty top tier.

Poini Coon is DLC and is pretty effing broken.

Esmeralda is Top Tier Broken.


Gorgeous mode is fairly broken (and fairly boring) in general. I don't see much of a point in playing it when the superior Original mode is available. There's a reason why Original mode is the first option on the main menu!

In Original mode Single Mission, most of the characters other than Titanium are fairly useless (yes, even the DLC characters). While in Original mode Versus Mission, the top of the leaderboard is dominated mostly by Diol Twee users with a lone Esmeralda currently at #1.
_________________
:lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:58 am 



Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 613
Cuilan wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:
Biased post:
Otomedius G Moai stage is pretty top tier.

Poini Coon is DLC and is pretty effing broken.

Esmeralda is Top Tier Broken.


Gorgeous mode is fairly broken (and fairly boring) in general. I don't see much of a point in playing it when the superior Original mode is available. There's a reason why Original mode is the first option on the main menu!

In Original mode Single Mission, most of the characters other than Titanium are fairly useless (yes, even the DLC characters). While in Original mode Versus Mission, the top of the leaderboard is dominated mostly by Diol Twee users with a lone Esmeralda currently at #1.


Well Yeah. I like Original mode better, and all that DLC works in both modes.

That said, Esmeralda is probably still top tier for most boss battles because she ignores damage caps. Significant bugs in her code. Tita is pretty broken on most stages, but Esmeralda can shine anywhere. Her D-Burst is almost worse than Tita's if you have 4 Options and 3+ Speed ups. The only thing worse than Esmeralda's D-Burst in Otomedius AC (Original mode) is her D-Burst in Otomedius Excellent.

But back to the subject at hand. The reason I suggested those 3 DLCs, is they work in both game modes. All the music is sadly locked to Gorgeous Mode (Which only gets interesting around loop 2 or 3)

Also why are you playing stages in Arcade mode? Versus Mission is the correct selection ;)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1150
Location: safespot
dieKatze88 wrote:
Also why are you playing stages in Arcade mode? Versus Mission is the correct selection ;)


Mainly because Versus Mission is a ghost town, and not having access to leaderboard rankings as a result kind of kills my motivation to play it. Besides, Single Mission is pretty fun anyway.
_________________
:lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:03 am 



Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 613
Cuilan wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:
Also why are you playing stages in Arcade mode? Versus Mission is the correct selection ;)


Mainly because Versus Mission is a ghost town, and not having access to leaderboard rankings as a result kind of kills my motivation to play it. Besides, Single Mission is pretty fun anyway.


PM Me. I'll Play.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:32 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2013
Posts: 7
I have a question about updates/patches. Thanks in advance for reading my question, and I apologize if this has already been discussed--I couldn't find anything on it. I live in the US and I have a J-360 and a J-account for the marketplace. I've downloaded a few games (Noa Radirgy, etc.). My question concerns patches for disc-based games. When first loading a few of the disc-based games, I was prompted to download an update (in my general settings, I do not have it set to automatic download). I chose yes, and the update appeared to download, but I received a message saying I was disconnected from Xbox live. So ... I'm concerned the patch didn't download. Also, I cannot find the file for the patch in my storage (unless it's only in my system cache). I thought, though, it would appear with the other files associated with the game - maybe as a "title update."

As an example, I was prompted to download an update/patch for Dodonpachi Resurrection ver 1.5 and chose yes. On the title screen it now says ver 1.29. Based off that, I assume the update did download?

I'll appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thank you.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1150
Location: safespot
Whenever you boot up a game that has a patch available, the system disconnects you from Live while the patch is being downloaded, and then reconnects you automatically once the patch has been downloaded and applied. A progress bar should be visible as the patch downloads. Most patches are indeed stored in the cache, though some of the larger patches do appear (and function) as game content files.
_________________
:lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1051 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChillyLizard, Phellan Wolf and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group