Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Where the Darius Love at?

Post by ACSeraph »

During my excursion to Kawasaki Warehouse this summer I experienced Darius for the first time. Specifically Darius 1 in a huge cabinet with a headphone jack and sound volume and balance nobs and shit. It blew me away when the whole machine rumbled as King Fossil appeared for the first time; it was more than a shmup it was an experience.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of Darius talk on here though, and not a lot of strategy info either (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough). Do we have many Darius players on here? I have a couple of the home ports... are the PC Engine versions worth seeking out? Also why the hell is anyone playing games that aren't Darius at the arcade?!

Lets stop talking about stupid shit on here and start talking about Darius!
Last edited by ACSeraph on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Kollision

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by Kollision »

"The requested topic does not exist"

and I <3 Darius
:mrgreen:

KAI

Post by KAI »

Fishes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lolis
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Wow, nice collection. :shock:

I'm not a hardcore Darius fan myself but some of you may know lerebours who recently 1-lifed Darius Burst AC at the Arcade Street game center in Paris:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13m2q ... videogames
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13m8o ... enesis_fun

Wish I lived closer to this place...

Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I was at Arcadestreet a few weeks ago and had 3 goes at Darius Burst Another Chronicle EX. :D

Wish I could've stayed more than one hour! :cry:
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

This is an old photo. I have the full set of Darius and Syvallion posters now too. Oh and a couple of Gamest mags with Darius on the cover or with features inside them about the games. :D

Oh and this, another Laserdisc. :D

Last edited by Pyongyang on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Blog: Pink Bullets / YouTube: StuffiWrote / VGMdb: Pyongyang

Image Image
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Kollision wrote:"The requested topic does not exist"
The inane "All the girls/girlies in shmups have a purpose" thread in case you missed it.
KAI wrote:Fishes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lolis
Was just playing Aqua Kitty

http://tikipod.com/images/AK_screenshot_3.png

and was thinking that I should break out G-Darius/Darius Gaiden/Darius Burst again ... wonder why :)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Love Darius, such a unique feel. Was playing Gaiden in the London Loading Cafe a couple weeks back, game is special.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

FRO

Post by FRO »

Long time fan of the Darius series, though I still don't own any conversions of Darius 1 or 2. I'm a bit more a fan of the later entries like Darius Gaiden and G-Darius, though I take Darius Twin and Super Nova (aka Darius Force) for a spin now and again. Still need to get the PSP release, and maybe one day I'll stumble across Sagaia for either Game Boy or Genesis. Good stuff!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

some of my stuff:

The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
drauch

Post by drauch »

Love Darius myself, but certainly not compared to some of these nice collections. I'm bummed I never had a chance in my neck of the woods to play it properly on the enlarged cabinet. Maybe someday.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
CIT

Post by CIT »

ACSeraph wrote:Doesn't seem to be a lot of Darius talk on here though, and not a lot of strategy info either (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough). Do we have many Darius players on here? I have a couple of the home ports... are the PC Engine versions worth seeking out?

Really? I think Darius is a pretty highly regarded series on these boards and there are quite a few fans. Darius Gaiden seems to be the most popular, with new scores coming in most frequently. G Darius has the deepest game system, but people don't seem to play it that much. Perhaps it's too complex…

As for the PC Engine ports, Darius Plus and Super Darius are pretty much the same. The former is also the only regular HuCard that was optimized to take advantage of the SuperGrafx, while the later has the arcade's original soundtrack. Pretty decent home versions to get overall.

Super Darius II is a bit weird, as they added the bosses from Darius to give every stage a different boss and the music is a poppy upbeat arrangement of the arcade's dark and mysterious sound and doesn't really fit IMO. The Mega Drive version of Darius II is much closer to the feel of the arcade, so I would recommend that over the PCE version. Or just get the Saturn version that has the same aspect ratio as the arcade (although letterboxed of course).
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^ I tried this once. So those mines floating across the screen were powerups?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
louisg

Post by louisg »

Count me in for loving Darius Gaiden. Great levels, amazing soundtrack, and very entertaining throughout. It's not the most perfect shmup in terms of balance, but it more than makes up for it IMO.
Humans, think about what you have done
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Kollision wrote:and I <3 Darius
What's up with your Master System Sagaia? Is that some sort of special version? The cover looks weird. My copy looks like the one in Pyongyang's pic.
drauch

Post by drauch »

louisg wrote:Count me in for loving Darius Gaiden. Great levels, amazing soundtrack, and very entertaining throughout. It's not the most perfect shmup in terms of balance, but it more than makes up for it IMO.
My favorite. I was pumping the soundtrack just last night. Loooooove thos eerie operatic vocals over murdering robotic fish.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda »

I'm a darius gaiden fan, and I am a HUGE Zuntata fanboy. So while I only really play gaiden , I love the music from II and the endings from G. The series is amazing, mechanical fish make me happy. But isn't the real problem with darius in the community that it wasn't developed by CAVE?

To quote myself, I always wanted a thing called orge sashimi. And I would murder a new born child to get my hands on a silver hawk hashioki like in that pic <boner>
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Kollision wrote:and I <3 Darius
What's up with your Master System Sagaia? Is that some sort of special version? The cover looks weird. My copy looks like the one in Pyongyang's pic.
That's because it's the Brazilian TecToy release. :wink:

BEHOLD

Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

There's some Darius love in my collection, let me count the ways.

SMS:
Sagaia

Genesis:
Sagaia

SNES:
Darius Twin
Super Nova

PS1:
G Darius

Saturn:
Darius II
Darius Gaiden

PCE CD:
Super Darius

And Taito Legends and Memories on the PS2 with G Darius and Darius Gaiden as well. I've got my fair share of the series, but I feel I still owe myself the Gameboy Sagaia, and the often chastised Darius R on GBA (even if it's not great).
Special World

Post by Special World »

I like Darius Gaiden and G Darius, but I really hate the bosses. They're cool but they last forever and a day.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

I forgot I had Darius R (CIB)! Thanks to this thread for reminding me! :oops: :D
--
Blog: Pink Bullets / YouTube: StuffiWrote / VGMdb: Pyongyang

Image Image
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

All the Darius love belongs to us and its right here :!: Darius Gaiden is my favorite, as well as the soundtrack(s)/arranges. In addition to the models, I pre-ordered the Darius Odyssey book that got a reissue, look forward to seeing that. I have a couple of Darius scores myself, and when I began to really post on this forum, one of my first threads was the Darius story which someone filled me in on and from then on I was hooked. Oh and you should be able to recognize my sig as Darius Gaiden inspired :)
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Special World wrote:I like Darius Gaiden and G Darius, but I really hate the bosses. They're cool but they last forever and a day.
:( I personally love the boss length. Boss fights are the best part of the game anyway imo.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

ACSeraph wrote:Doesn't seem to be a lot of Darius talk on here though, ...
Don't forget to have look over the http://darius.wikia.com/wiki/Darius_Wiki.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

G-Darius was the shmup that got me into shmups, I love it to this day.

Darius Gaiden I have a hard time getting into, I keep getting hosed by the rank.
Squire Grooktook

broken harbour wrote:G-Darius was the shmup that got me into shmups, I love it to this day.

Darius Gaiden I have a hard time getting into, I keep getting hosed by the rank.
The rank isn't quite as bad as it seems, not picking up power ups is even worse for survival and scoring imo.

The real issues are the recoveries, which can make the game borderline unwinnable unless you're super pro.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've read G-Darius on the PS1 is slower than the arcade original, and the Taito Memories 2 port is supposed to play at the right speed (480i though).
Is it really the overall speed of the game or is it just about a few slowdowns ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Squire Grooktook

I think it's slowdown, but since there's a lot of hectic moments throughout the game, it does make something of a difference and a lot of bullet patterns are considerably harder.

At least I think, someone might want to correct me on that. I have the ps1 version and the Taito Legends 2, but I haven't played the ps1 version in years.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Super Nova/Darius Force is actually pretty decent. Not extraordinary but not bad for a system with not that many good shmups.