B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Skykid

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4/6/7000 CRT TV

Post by Skykid »

fagin wrote:Skykid,
You have some serious OCD man!

Your test grid does not indicate you're getting a pinch effect in the middle. Either way you have no way of correcting that. I personally go for geometry that is even across the screen and I don't follow the curvature to achieve that. I play "head on" so set geometry to reflect that position. Pinching can be caused by pincushion (which on pro gear you can alter both the top/bottom and sides separately). If you're getting compression (which again your grid does not dictate to any great level, based on your picture) you're stuck with it in reality. Minor tweaks to compression may be achieved with screen position and vert / hori holds - it's normally about compromise though.

Step away.... stop fiddling and get playing games! ;)

You do appear to have slight rotation (but that could be the camera angle). You could adjust this by turning the yoke..... but I wouldn't be bothering personally.

Hey!

Well here's the original shot:

It's actually a tad outdated since I've done more tweaking since (to no great effect) but if you look closely at the first white line and see the blocks in the centre and compare them to the blocks on the same row, far left and right, you can see that the middle is slightly longer and wider. That's what's causing the bowing.

Now, it might actually be a SFC issue primarily (I do notice the recognised white ghost bar on the screen being output from this snes model, and that makes things appear even iffier) but I assure you the warping on sidescrollers is bloody weird. It's not just my eyes or my OCD!

And at the same time, I totally agree with you, the test grid is reasonably ok, although areas of compression are there if you scrutinise.

Regarding setting up the geometry, I do as you said and aim for as flat as possible - it's just in the image the edges are off screen. The lower edge is fiddly as fuck and doesn't like to straighten out (and some compression exists there too, visible on the backgrounds of Hori's). The bottom right corner (occupying around 25% of the screen) is also absolutely stubborn and refuses to straighten up with the others, so I have to leave it slightly bubbled out.

Sure, I'm definitely being anal about it, it still looks beautiful on most things, I just wondered how serious it appeared to others and if it was a common thing. I might post up a video I shot showing the wave if I can make a little time later.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

mitsurugi

Post by mitsurugi »

Hello everyone from Spain. I have bought a mx7000 reading your comments for a price about 100€.
But.. i'm a little sad, because have 2 problems.
1. When i power off the tv (power off with remote control not with ac) all configurations in menu tv mode and service mode are over (sound, brighness, turning motor position, etc) and return to the first time i turn on. What could be the problem?
2. The image is blurred in the four corners. Look this 2 images (please enlarge click in).-
What do you think?

Thanks!
Drachenherz

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - Advice: get a Trinitron!!!

Post by Drachenherz »

You know what?

Fuck the B&O MX4000. Really, fuck it.

Get a Trinitron.

I have to confirm a sentiment, that has been posted in this thread long ago:

Don't be fooled by the nice and stylish appearance of the MX line...

I should have gotten a trinitron set on the beginning of my retro-crt-journey... Could have saved me quite some money (well, not that much) and especially hassle.

I changed the thread topic accordingly.

Seriously, forget about getting a B&O - Trinitron all the way, baby!
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
hungar

Post by hungar »

Well I've been rocking a mx400 for quite a while now and have spent more time in the service menu than I have playing games.
I'd join in the fuck you chorus but I do so love the form factor. Saying that I'm picking up 2 PVM's this week so the MX is going in to storage :P.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Drach, appreciate it didn't work out for you dude (for whatever reason, mine's beautiful now I'm on meds to get over my geometry OCD) but could I ask you to leave the thread title as a reference thread? Because there's a ton of info in here that's really really handy, and if you've ever gone googling you'll find that this is by far the biggest resources for troubleshooting questions with regard to these specifics sets on the interweb. There's very little for people to find otherwise.

I know you're a bit fired up, but for the good of the community if you changed it to MX... "troubleshooting and general information" (or something similar) that would be much handy for people needing to get a lowdown - and they'll still be able to read your sentiments. ;)

Drachenherz

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by Drachenherz »

@Skykid: done. ;)

Ah yes, guess I'm a "little" bit fed up with the MX line, especially seeing the differences between the two 21" sets myself.

I haven't even gotten aroud fiddling with the trinitrons settings yet, but even so its image is just amazing. I will finetune the colours a bit, but that's about all that has to be done atm. For the moment, I'll leave the geometry settings as they are, as with this specific set (KV X2131D), they have to br adjusted via several pots on the inside of the TV.

This week though I'll pick up a large 29" Trinitron which can be adjusted digitally via an on screen menue, I wonder how the larger modell will fare compared to the B&O. Both in image quality and in ease-of-use of the settings. Mind you, I also had a MX6000 for a short while which I dumped in favor of a Sony PVM 2730QM, and I didn't like the image quality of the larger MX6000 at all.

All in all it really was the combination of lesser image quality and PITA fiddling with the settings that let me finally jump the B&O MX ship. :P

The CRT journey continues, off to new shores! :D
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Thanks Drach, that's really helpful. I got two of the suckers for now, but my CRT journey also continues. I know what I want and don't have, so should I get lucky in future I'll probably be letting go of one of these for more lo-res perfection. For now they're doing the job though. No-one seems to make mention of the speakers much - the screen might not be as crystal as a Trinitron, but the sound is nigh-on revolutionary!

What were you doing pissing around so long in the service mode? Can you elaborate on the problem?

Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Skykid wrote:Thanks Drach, that's really helpful. I got two of the suckers for now, but my CRT journey also continues. I know what I want and don't have, so should I get lucky in future I'll probably be letting go of one of these for more lo-res perfection. For now they're doing the job though. No-one seems to make mention of the speakers much - the screen might not be as crystal as a Trinitron, but the sound is nigh-on revolutionary!

What were you doing pissing around so long in the service mode? Can you elaborate on the problem?
What was pissing me off to no end was the constant switching from v-tape to the tuner just to get into the service mode... Adjusting the image, getting back to how it looks, getting back to the service mode... This made setting the geometry more a chore than anything else. I guess if the service menu would have been workable on the "RGB-Channel" (aka "v-tape"), I wouldn't be so disapointed, but not being able to fiddle with the settings while the image that you're fiddling with is up on the screen was the greatest disapointment.

This and that the colours just werem't as vibrant as they could be on a crt set. And that the image - although using rgb-scart - just wasn't as sharp and clear as I wanted it - and remembered from previous experiences from my youth/childhood.

Yeah, the sound on the mx truly is amazing, and its form-factor is just one of a kind and a true masterwork of design. And yes, I love the de-interlacing feature too. But in the end, I just never was really content with the image. And as I had the chance now to get the trinitrons for cheap, I took the chance.

Now, after this smaller "odissey", I just have to chime in and advise people who look for a good gaming CRT to really think twice about the B&Os... Especially, as depending on the area you live, Trinitrons could be easier and cheaper to come by than the B&Os.

I'm sorry, I hope I don't dim your enjoyment of your sets, I just felt that I had to chime in and give some first-hand experience/opinion with the different sets, as I could check them out side by side right now.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Drachenherz wrote:I have to confirm a sentiment, that has been posted in this thread long ago:
And that was noted on post 4 of this thread.... I wonder who by? :mrgreen:

Although I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as saying "**** the MX". They are very nice sets but other set's imo provide a better image..... even if they don't look as nice as an overall piece of furniture as the MX.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

fagin wrote:
Drachenherz wrote:I have to confirm a sentiment, that has been posted in this thread long ago:
And that was noted on post 4 of this thread.... I wonder who by? :mrgreen:

Although I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as saying "**** the MX". They are very nice sets but other set's imo provide a better image..... even if they don't look as nice as an overall piece of furniture as the MX.
True dat. Imjust re-read the thread to find this statement and was surprised how early you made it. And yes, the mx are beautiful, and I really, really want to love them, but I have to admit, I chose substance over style now. :D
nico

Post by nico »

Really can not understand ...imho the B&O MX (4000, version 1.1) it's a WONDERFUL tvc for retro games, and considering that I also have a Sony Trinitron (silver chassis) and tested for a period one Sony BVM monitor of a friend (where it seemed to me to play with mame on a lcd monitor!. But it was probably set incorrectly...).
I mainly use the MX in TATE mode and works great.
Have you removed the anti-glare screen? The image will change from day to night... colour more vibrant, perfect scanlines...
Regarding the service menu, if you are interested, I will send you my settings. No problemo.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

one Sony BVM monitor of a friend (where it seemed to me to play with mame on a lcd monitor!. But it was probably set incorrectly...
no, they really look like this :mrgreen:

I wouldn't call Trinitrions in general better or worse than other types of tubes. It's - again - just a different type of look. Drachenherz, your new 29" will look very much your ex-PVM. Over here I have friends who still use their early 90s Grundig und Blaupunkt sets and I honestly get why they like them. I don't know the B&O but I would imagine that they're closer to those sets than to mid-90s Trinitrons. It can be hard to switch tubes if you're used to a certain look (possibly for decades now), but if you're new to RGB CRT gaming, there are many viable options out there.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

nico wrote: Regarding the service menu, if you are interested, I will send you my settings. No problemo.
Can you just post your service settings and in the thread? It's good for reference.

Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Fudoh wrote: I wouldn't call Trinitrions in general better or worse than other types of tubes. It's - again - just a different type of look. Drachenherz, your new 29" will look very much your ex-PVM. [...]
I don't know the B&O but I would imagine that they're closer to those sets than to mid-90s Trinitrons. It can be hard to switch tubes if you're used to a certain look (possibly for decades now) [...]
That's probably it. Back in the day, I did my gaming on oneof those nice 108sumpting amiga monitors which had this crystall clear and sharp image with those glorious scalines. I've been using it for years and years, up until the ps1/saturn era. And getting back into retro gaming, this sharpness and crystal clear pixels with scanlines has always been my ideal with those 240p graphics. That's why I loved the image on the cab and on the PVM so much - it was like I remembered those graphics.

And that's probably part of my disapointment with the B&Os - it's not how I like to enjoy my classic gamin, whereas the trinitron-style of image just hits my nostalgia-influenced graphics sweet spot.

:)

And Fudoh, really really stoked now of picking up the large trintron now! I was seriously heartbroken when the pvm went kaputt. The prospect of getting (at least) similar image quality back is just uplifting!

:D
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

Has anyone figured out yet how to save screen and sound settings when turning the set of?
Very annoying to have the volume maxed out every time it's turned on.
clean gloves, dirty hands.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

angryswede wrote:Has anyone figured out yet how to save screen and sound settings when turning the set of?
Very annoying to have the volume maxed out every time it's turned on.
I go into the picture settings, set them, hit the store button and the menu turns red. Seems to remember fine after that.

fagin

Post by fagin »

Fudoh wrote:
one Sony BVM monitor of a friend (where it seemed to me to play with mame on a lcd monitor!. But it was probably set incorrectly...
no, they really look like this :mrgreen:

I wouldn't call Trinitrions in general better or worse than other types of tubes. It's - again - just a different type of look. Drachenherz, your new 29" will look very much your ex-PVM. Over here I have friends who still use their early 90s Grundig und Blaupunkt sets and I honestly get why they like them. I don't know the B&O but I would imagine that they're closer to those sets than to mid-90s Trinitrons. It can be hard to switch tubes if you're used to a certain look (possibly for decades now), but if you're new to RGB CRT gaming, there are many viable options out there.
This all needs to be set in context. Not your statement specifically Fudoh, but the whole "thing".

Back in the late 80's / early 90's, I didn't give a flying **** or even know what geometry, compression or convergence was. All I knew was that RGB was the daddy signal (obvious from comparisons) in the UK and in the UK the Sony sets were really classed as "THE" benchmark. Not only because of their quality, but also by the fact that Sony were one of the few manufacturers who made RGB SCART enabled sets.

However... RGB ability aside, it was always about the games and playing them. Nothing else mattered or took any effort to understand. That's the context setting right there. :mrgreen:
futurematt5

Post by futurematt5 »

I know this thread has moved on quite a bit but I need to do some housework on the two videos on youtube.

I would like to add more information to the video descriptions on my two B&O related videos. I would like to organise this information into a few different headings, and being lazy and lacking in spare time I wonder if anyone feels generous enough to compile some of these for me.

I will include:
Geometry settings - definition of adjustment settings (I will do this)
Version revisions and compatibility with service mode feature via remote (anybody want to write a paragraph?)
RGB inputs and compatibility with NTSC / PAL inputs (anyone?)
Storing picture / sound adjustments and issues (anyone?)

Thanks!
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

@Skykid - My bad, I thought I remembered that others had problems storing image settings as well - I only have that annoying volume issue. Image settings are stored correctly, but every time the set is turned on the volume is back on max. Can't imagine that's the way it's supposed to work. Imagine if you used the set for actually watching tv. Those speakers wouldn't last long.
clean gloves, dirty hands.
futurematt5

Post by futurematt5 »

mitsurugi wrote:Hello everyone from Spain. I have bought a mx7000 reading your comments for a price about 100€.
But.. i'm a little sad, because have 2 problems.
1. When i power off the tv (power off with remote control not with ac) all configurations in menu tv mode and service mode are over (sound, brighness, turning motor position, etc) and return to the first time i turn on. What could be the problem?
2. The image is blurred in the four corners. Look this 2 images (please enlarge click in).-
What do you think?

Thanks!
Your set needs the focus adjusting on the chassis - this is found on the small PCB on the teck of the tube. Extra caution is required as very high voltage. Better not to mess with it unless experiences in these things or being done by a professional. If adjusted, you will see a massive improvement.
futurematt5

Post by futurematt5 »

I have now got off my lazy ass and am compiling the "ultimate guide to B&O MX series" with help from all the posts in this and the other thread. It will go on all of my B&O related videos.

Hats off to Skykid for getting his geometry so nice. I will have to try his settings as in all honesty my 4000 picture is a bit wonky to say the least.
mitsurugi

Post by mitsurugi »

I removed front glass and clean the tube. The four courners looks fine now.
After pushing save button, all the configs are save now.
Can somebody put a good service mode config (colour, contrast, etc)?
Thanks.
futurematt5

Guide to the Bang & Olufsen MX series of CRT TVs

Post by futurematt5 »

Guide to the Bang & Olufsen MX series of CRT TVs

Feel free to contribute corrections and additions to this guide. I would like to upload the resulting version to all of my B&O videos.

1. Links to Relevant You Tube Videos

MX4000 video includes features and game footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkVH_TbfMA

MX7000 video - includes setting up sockets, overview of functions, accessing service mode and footage of picture and de-interlacing function
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvN6HZw4I0

De-interlace set up video – also shows how to programme the beo4 remote to access functions such as SHIFT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws_g1ZF2ic

faginrs500 video on MX4002 picture quality and telling the different software revisions - which will dictate how you access service mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6iGdWeXj0

faginrs500 B&O MX4002 chassis mod – includes footage of making the mod you would need to bridge the service mode jumper on the back of the chassis get earlier chassis revision models into service mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3H4RlW950

Service Manual - http://beophile.com/wp-content/plugins/ ... php?id=222http://beophile.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=222

2. Link to Relevant Forum Discussion Thread for Technical Questions

Bang & Olufsen MX series CRT TV discussion thread
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150

3. Service Mode

Bang & Olufsen MX series Service Mode:

To enter service mode press MENU, 1, 1, GO

For anyone trying to get the service menu on an MX4200 the code is MENU, 0, 0, GO (not 1,1 as used on other sets).

Then you see the type, serial number and the last error of the unit

For example: 3313 10195331 Last error no

Press the right arrow on your BEO4 to scroll through the following
Use the up and down arrows to change a value

Service Mode Adjustment Settings
Hfq - Horizontal frequency, Vertical hold. Adjust to avoid picture rolling.
Hph - Horizontal phase, Horizontal position. Higher values move image to the right.
Ham - Horizontal amplitude, Lower values increase horizontal size
Vam - Vertical amplitude, Higher values increase vertical size.
Vsc - Vertical s-correction, expands centre and compresses top and bottom
Vsh - Vertical shift, Higher values move the image towards bottom of screen.
Vli - Vertical linearity, compresses top, expands bottom. lower numbers squash the upper half height of the screen
EWc - East/West corner, shifts the top and bottom horizontally to expand corners. Higher numbers flare the top and bottom L/R corners outwards, lower numbers form a bulge in the middle of L/R sides
EWp - East/West parabola. To make vertical lines at sides of screen parallel with sides of screen
EWt - East/West tilt, trapezoid correction. Tilt the picture. Higher numbers tilt the picture clockwise.

Start by pulling in the Horizontal and Vertical amplitude so you can see the edges of the image within the screen, and then flatten the edges out by using the other settings.

Here are some useful “default” settings from a forum member, which you could try using particularly if you get into trouble. As all sets are different, you will need to customise your own settings for the best picture.

Brilliance 36
Colour 52
Contrast 61
Tint 32 (this has no function on RGB signals)
RDR 36
GDR 39
RCU 33
GCU 15
BRI 3
COL 3

Hfq 26
Hph 51
Ham 29
Vam 13
Vsc 11
Vsh 24
Vli 19
EWc 16
EWp 26
EWt 45

Viewing picture during service mode adjustments

You can only access service mode from the TV input (snow screen if you do not have an analogue RF signal on this channel). The inability to view the picture (on AV input channels) whilst altering geometry is annoying but not a game stopper. It took me no more than 10mins to tweak the geometry and wasn't a hardship to do so. This is a consumer TV after all.

Accessing Service Mode with Jumper Mod

This applies to B&O MX models with chassis revisions earlier than 3.1 as well as any MX series TV where you do not have a beo4 remote or beo4 copy.

You will need to build a bridge across the jumper on the AV board.

The jumper is located right above the inputs on the AV board. It's the first thing you'll see and it's clearly marked. Just watch out where you put that screwdriver. Watch faginrs500 video on this subject (link above).

4. De-interlace Function

One of the most unique feature in this range of CRT TVs is their ability to take an interlaced signal (480i for example) which will typically look flickery and without clarity of scanlines, and to process this to simulate a 240p signal. The MX7000 video explains and demonstrates this feature, as well as the de-interlace setup video.

To use this feature, select your AV input channel and:

MENU > PICTURE > SHIFT > 7

For MX4200 models you can simply press MIX on a Beo4 remote for de-interlacing.

You MUST point your beo4 away from the infrared while selecting SHIFT and then point back when pressing 7.

Please note that your beo4 remote (or copy) may not have a button marked SHIFT. The beo1000 remote does have this button, but has the disadvantage of not being able to access service mode. The beo4 may however be programmed with the SHIFT function. SHIFT is accessed from the LIST function. Press LIST repeatedly to see which functions are already programmed on your remote’s LCD screen. If SHIFT is on that list, when it is displayed simply press 7, do not hold any other button.

If SHIFT is not displayed, you must add it to your LIST function. To do this, hold down the red “on” button on your beo4 and press LIST. You are now in LIST MODE. Now press LIST again to toggle between ADD, REMOVE, OPTION. When ADD is displayed, hit GO. Now toggle through the commands using LIST and when SHIFT is displayed, press GO. This will now add the command to your LIST button. To remove commands, use the same process.

5. Inputs and sockets

Both of the AV Scart inputs are capable of accepting RGB video via the 21 pin connector. However, sockets must be configured correctly. To do this:

MENU > SETUP > SOCKETS

Set AV-1 to V-TAPE 1 and AV2 to V-Tape 2 or V-AUX.
You will then need to access these AV input channels using the corresponding button on your remote, or via the LIST function to obtain addition commands from the programmable beo4 remote. These are RGB configured inputs and MAY NOT provide a stable colour image for NTSC or composite signals in all cases. It may require some trial and error to establish the best input signal for any given console / system. The TV does however accept both 50hz and 60hz signals, and both PAL and NTSC signals.

Using S-video, it is best to connect to a scart converter, this way you can also plug the audio into the scart socket.

Colour adjustment will have no effect if you're using RGB.

6. Models and Chassis Revisions

Chassis revision model is shown on the sticker on the rear of the TV. Look for “SW 3.1” or similar version number, on the top right of the sticker.

Any chassis with revision number 3.1 or later should have the preferred functionality and picture quality.

The following applies to any MX4000, 4002 and 4200. The sets were produced over a few years and during that time, different chassis revisions were produced, which have different service menu functionality and image clarity.

Software version 1.1 appears to have a slightly inferior picture.

Revision 4.7 works perfectly with beo4 remote, beo1000 and universal / copy / reproduction remotes.

Any beo4 remote can be programmed to use all of the necessary functions for geometry etc.

The MX4200 has the same functionality as the MX4000, with the added benefit of being able to connect to other B&O equipment.

The MX4000 seems the best choice overall and seems to have all the features enabled.
The MX7000 also appears to have all features enabled. With correct tuning (as a larger CRT tube can be more troublesome in terms of focus and geometry) I believe the image on a 26.5 inch MX7000 or MX8000 is as sharp as the MX4000.

If it's killer audio you want go for an MX7000 or 8000.

7. Tuning Image (chassis adjustments)
The pots I adjusted are on the neck card and where for focus and screen volts. None of those will make your image more vibrant.

Z2 - Adjust screen voltage on chassis*
FOCUS - Adjust focus on chassis*

* These should only be carried out with extreme care as you no doubt are well aware already. As you need to adjust focus while seeing the image, it can be tricky unless a friend is helping. The picture goes in and out of focus very quickly with minimal rotation of the adjust knobs so you need a very steady hand.

What I would say is that tuning the focus chassis control on my MX7000 made a visible improvement to the sharpness of the image (thanks to fagin for his tuning). And that was after making all the other easy adjustments eg brilliance and geometry, and using RGB of course.

8. Removing Contrast Screen
Use a big flat head screwdriver as a crowbar. This is not an easy or reliable process and there is a risk of the glass shattering so please be careful. My advice is not not bother, it looks much better with it on. The following is advice from faginrs500. You have to target the gap on one of the sides between the glossy and normal plastic. Once you remove one of the sides you can just slide the glass out. Putting it back together is also very easy, just slide the glass back in and the plastic piece should snap back into place. One the MX7000 there are two strips of adhesive also holding the screen on, this makes the operation more difficult.

Photo of difference between contrast screen on and off:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/345 ... 115023.jpg

The image gets much more vibrant when you remove the screen. But the tube is a kind of light grey, so you lose a bit of contrast and black won't be as dark.
Last edited by futurematt5 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitsurugi

Post by mitsurugi »

Is there no way to put service mode with av mode? I know you said tv can't, but, How can you adjust the tv without see anything more than snow screen?
I was thinking about connect a old console like master system with rf conector to adjust it.
Thanks.
fagin

Post by fagin »

**** me Matt - were you bored or something? ;)

Nice write-up. I'm sure people will appreciate that. :)
futurematt5

Post by futurematt5 »

Video description updated with user guide.

http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=dy ... watch&ns=1
mchay

Post by mchay »

I applaud you for taking the time describing the details of these TVs in regards to getting them as good as possible for our use. Great job. :D
jonnyturbo

Post by jonnyturbo »

Hi, I recently bought a B & O MX4200 (anyone in Cheshire near Wilmslow who wants one, a guy is selling them on ebay and will take £35 and they have the Beo4 remote... will come to that tho)

Anyways it's an ex Hotel model so the controller is gimped can't work out how to get the scanlines using 480i resolution (no shift button or list)
that's not my problem though. I'm using it to run my NeoGeo aes (rgb scart) and first off it's cutting about an inch off the left hand side, second I can't get the geometry right no matter how much I tinker in the menu.
Is it worth opening it up and using the chassis controls to sort out the problem?

This thread has been very helpful so far, thanks.
GRUSS

Post by GRUSS »

Hi everyone!

Long time retro gamer. Been using a Sony trinitron CRT for a few years now but unless I leave it in on permanent standby it struggles to fire up. I'm moving house soon and plan to turn the attic den into a game/film retreat! I'm limited to what size to due having only a hatch and pull down ladder for access.

Been googling over the past few days about the best CRT to get for retro gaming which brought me to futurematt5 and faginrs500 Youtube videos...

Found a B+O MX4000 on ebay complete with remote and manual so I went and bought it first thing yesterday with my day off.

What can I say....? Simply stunning tv to look at, very happy!

After pulling my hair out playing around with the AV button once I plugged in my megadrive 1 (rgb scart with stereo headphone and modded to run 60Hz)... I sat down and read the manual for 5 mins whilst viewing matts video on the MX7000. Must be a common thing that people do with the AV button when they first turn it on.. Used to the RGB auto switching when I turn on the MD but I guess it doesn't on this?

The geometry wanted setting as the picture was sat to the left. I've spent a few hours tweaking the various settings that a few people have kindly posted on the internet and toutube (thankyou!!) I've set it up on sonic 1 and 2 and these are the settings:

SW 3.1

Brilliance 36
Colour 52
Contrast 61

Rdr 36
Gdr 39
Rcu 33
Gcu 15

BRI 03
COL 03

Hfq 26
Hph 55
Ham 29
Vam 20
Vsc 11
Vsh 24
Vli 19
Ewc 16
Ewp 26
Ewt 45

If anyone could kindly give me there opinion on te above settings, I can't make my mind up when playing sonic 2 that the picture looks too 'zoomed in' . It does however look very nice!

Pictures were both taken just using my iPhone so it doesn't really show the quality!

Looking forward to any comments or advice

Thanks
fagin

Post by fagin »

jonnyturbo wrote:Hi, I recently bought a B & O MX4200 (anyone in Cheshire near Wilmslow who wants one, a guy is selling them on ebay and will take £35 and they have the Beo4 remote... will come to that tho)

Anyways it's an ex Hotel model so the controller is gimped can't work out how to get the scanlines using 480i resolution (no shift button or list)
that's not my problem though. I'm using it to run my NeoGeo aes (rgb scart) and first off it's cutting about an inch off the left hand side, second I can't get the geometry right no matter how much I tinker in the menu.
Is it worth opening it up and using the chassis controls to sort out the problem?

This thread has been very helpful so far, thanks.
Are you accessing the SERVICE MENU as opposed to the normal menu? All the facilities to shift the image geometry are only available via the service menu.