Thread Split: Drakon's Modding

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lemony Vengeance

Thread Split: Drakon's Modding

Post by Lemony Vengeance »

Drakon wrote:
defor wrote:
Drakon wrote:It works in a famicom. So far I've got it running just fine in a nes 2, av famicom, 1989 gpm-02 orginal famicom, and my sharp twin famicom. I like my top loaders.
Any chance you can show how you're fitting it in the twin? unless I'm mistaken, the nes board simply will not fit unless it's relocated entirely to not run into the cart slot.
Sure thing:

Sorry about all the glue people.
didn't know that the Shmups forum allowed pics of gluey batter without making sure you were over the age of 18 to view them.

or in the words of someone else:
...Drakon's work looks like Peter North shot his load all over it.
Anyone considering commissioning Drakon should take a look at the Video posted by Game-Tech as this is typical Drakon quality (which he does not give two F**Ks about).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QMH-xp-WtI

Jdubs story to go with it (i linked to Skip's post this time Jdubs as its split up and easier to read):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost3613998

Also I know its been linked but Phonedorks Drakon Horror story (JUST IN TIME FOR HALLOWEEN!):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost3611368
Last edited by Lemony Vengeance on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ApolloBoy

Re: NESRGB board available soon

Post by ApolloBoy »

If your solder joints are nice and solid, you do not need massive amounts of hot glue to hold down the entire wiring. And even if you do need to secure your wiring, only use little globs each time the wires make an angle. Those wires at the top of the Twin Fami board don't even need hot glue, just solder them securely and you're fine.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Yeah, "tacking" wires down is a good practice (of course you can just throw a square of electrical tape on there, as well). Not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty excited to be able to design the interface boards in UD-CPS2 to eliminate basically all hand soldering, save the power wires, which are monsters and won't be coming loose.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

ApolloBoy wrote:If your solder joints are nice and solid.
I think that's the issue. His solder joints are awful.

I should really post pictures of the NES I got from Drakon, but I've been resisting....

-Jim
Drakon

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by Drakon »

leonk wrote:
Drakon wrote:Honestly I use a 15$ paint removing heatgun, vice grips and thick gloves. I found a youtube video where krikzz (author of the everdrives) desolders through hole chips using pliers and a gas stove.
No disrespect but if you charge people 200$ for mods and have done a few of them, it blows my mind that you use this method to remove IC's from circuit boards. For 1/2 the cost of one of your mods, you can have a good desoldering station that will make your job twice as fast and making it look professional every time.

Using a heatgun to remove ICs is equivalent to doing fine woodworking with a chainsaw. You can do it, but it shows.
If I ever get the pleasure of meeting you in person I hope you can bring over a good desoldering station and give me a demo. I like using the best tools and methods possible.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acidhammer420k

Post by acidhammer420k »

Drakon wrote:If I ever get the pleasure of meeting you in person I hope you can bring over a good desoldering station and give me a demo. I like using the best tools and methods possible.
Jesus Christ, how does anyone tolerate you?

Here's some fine examples of the best methods possible, since this thread's already derailed too far.

Behold, a real commission which a real person paid real money for.
(sorry, i was told this was a commission Drakon made for somebody, removed)

Oh, and let's not forget the melted AV Famicom. I'm sure your trusty paint heat gun had something to do with this.

Either step up your game or quit parading around like you really know what you're doing. There are countless modders that could do far better work than you and I'm sure most wouldn't even charge as much.
Last edited by acidhammer420k on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skips

Post by Skips »

acidhammer420k wrote:
Drakon wrote:If I ever get the pleasure of meeting you in person I hope you can bring over a good desoldering station and give me a demo. I like using the best tools and methods possible.
Jesus Christ, how does anyone tolerate you?

Here's some fine examples of the best methods possible, since this thread's already derailed too far.

Behold, a real commission which a real person paid real money for.

Oh, and let's not forget the melted AV Famicom. I'm sure your trusty paint heat gun had something to do with this.

Either step up your game or quit parading around like you really know what you're doing. There are countless modders that could do far better work than you and I'm sure most wouldn't even charge as much.
shadowkn55 wrote:Don't forget this travesty too:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost3597775

And the owner of the melted AV Famicom makes his appearance.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost3611338
That first picture is not Drakon's. The GBA Genesis, although I agree looks bad, is not commissioned work. It is one of his personal projects he did for himself. Just wanted to clear that up before people start going off of assumptions or wild tangents.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Thanks for posting the N-G.com thread, Lemony...I never did my research before when the issue of "Drakon is a dick" came up. I hope the guy gets some equipment and mends his ways (I don't mean "with liberal application of hot glue").

I wanted to echo another sentiment from the N-G thread which occurred to me while reading this thread; I think a "modding best practices" thread would be great.

Brb, researching who manufactures glue sticks for my next round of commodities trading
shadowkn55

Post by shadowkn55 »

Drakon wrote: Thanks for treating me like it is possible for me to improve. I am taking comments seriously and all future commissions I'll just tack down wires with small amounts of hot glue leaving the soldered connections open making it much easier to redo or change any work. I agree it makes more sense to tack wires down instead of covering them, it's cleaner and makes it easier to change any wiring or add components.
I seriously doubt you'll take any of these suggestions to heart. Your insistence on using a heat gun to desolder through hole parts shows that you are clearly not interested in changing your ways. I even provided links to get good quality affordable tools so you can't complain about cost despite your exorbitant fees. I can clearly see why you put that disclaimer on your website, it's so you can justify to yourself why you are committing highway robbery.

We all gave you a pass years ago when you were beginner (technically, you still are) with your excessive amounts of hot glue but not only did you not fix that problem, you seem to use even more of it. Just look at the work you did on the Twin Fami with the RGB board mounting. It looks like Peter North is making his come back. Honestly, I think the reason why you drench everything in hot glue is to make it harder for people reverse engineer your work and see what you did. With the way you talk, you make it sound like your techniques are the end all solutions. They are really nothing special and most of the time, they are ideas taken from other people.

If you want to solve the problem of dangling wires, use SHORTER wires. Shorter wires means less chance for interference right? That's something you always seem to be spouting but never quite fully understood the concept.

More importantly, you never seem to address the more damning parts of the accusations. Why don't you fully reimburse people when YOU damage their hardware? Whether it's be accident or outright negligence, it shouldn't matter. Their belongings are in your care and you are supposed to be completely responsible for it's well being. Not only is it the right thing to do, it should be the first thing to do when stuff like this happens.

Lastly, work on your attitude. You may be acting apologetic here but everywhere else, you're still mean spirited as always. We can play nice again and this will be all glue under the bridge when you can learn to treat people, especially your customers, with some respect and dignity. Customers don't always know the ins and outs of mods so if they have questions, answer it politely. They aren't asking because they are out to steal your super secret mod techniques. They just want some peace of mind and clear up any confusion about the bits of information they came across. If you truly know your stuff, explain it to people in a way they can understand and they'll come back for more. I ask my mechanic all the time what's wrong with my car when the check engine light comes. This is just for personal information and it's not like I'm going to run out and open a competing shop because I know a little. If he couldn't tell me what was wrong and how it was fixed, how could I trust with with further repairs? Sounds like he just wants to rip me off with unnecessary charges.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Drakon wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:Thanks for posting the N-G.com thread, Lemony...I never did my research before when the issue of "Drakon is a dick" came up. I hope the guy gets some equipment and mends his ways (I don't mean "with liberal application of hot glue").

I wanted to echo another sentiment from the N-G thread which occurred to me while reading this thread; I think a "modding best practices" thread would be great.

Brb, researching who manufactures glue sticks for my next round of commodities trading
Thanks for treating me like it is possible for me to improve. I am taking comments seriously and all future commissions I'll just tack down wires with small amounts of hot glue leaving the soldered connections open making it much easier to redo or change any work. I agree it makes more sense to tack wires down instead of covering them, it's cleaner and makes it easier to change any wiring or add components.
If you're interested in making amends, there's somebody who never got properly compensated for a damaged A/V Famicom.

Don't treat us like marks here. You have a long way to go to combat this free publicity you've gathered over the years.

Once I dug a little hole for myself rep-wise on the 'net but I didn't keep digging - I got right out of it and everybody's much happier. Maybe it's not realistic at this point to expect that you can right every wrong but you certainly can stop digging in.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Ed Oscuro wrote:If you're interested in making amends, there's somebody who never got properly compensated for a damaged A/V Famicom.

Don't treat us like marks here. You have a long way to go to combat this free publicity you've gathered over the years.

Once I dug a little hole for myself rep-wise on the 'net but I didn't keep digging - I got right out of it and everybody's much happier. Maybe it's not realistic at this point to expect that you can right every wrong but you certainly can stop digging in.
Last I talked to him he thanked me for the service and said everything is good. Then the bash-fest began. If he really wants more money back all he has to do is ask.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I've heard that one before.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I've heard that one before.
So it's my fault when someone tells me everything is good? I don't read minds sorry.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Not to further the bashing, the moral of the story is: for any modder (or technician, repairman, etc.), if you don't have the money/means and willingness to totally replace what you are working on if you botch the job, don't touch it.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

undamned wrote:Not to further the bashing, the moral of the story is: for any modder (or technician, repairman, etc.), if you don't have the money/means and willingness to totally replace what you are working on if you botch the job, don't touch it.
-ud
That's not bashing.
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

Drakon wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:If you're interested in making amends, there's somebody who never got properly compensated for a damaged A/V Famicom.

Last I talked to him he thanked me for the service and said everything is good. Then the bash-fest began. If he really wants more money back all he has to do is ask.
I asked for MY money back for your worse-than-garbage work (full story to come with pics and video) and you denied me.

-Jim
acidhammer420k

Post by acidhammer420k »

Have any of you guys filed PayPal claims against Drakon? I really hope some people who got swindled out of hundreds of dollars were able to get their money back that way at least.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Can we get a MOD in here to take all this talk of scammers, con artists, and crappy installers and move it elsewhere? It's cr*pping on an otherwise fine, once in a decade forum thread!! (I'm sorry for even trying to teach people how to desolder at this point.. but damn!)
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

jdubs wrote:
Drakon wrote:

I asked for MY money back for your worse-than-garbage work (full story to come with pics and video) and you denied me.

-Jim
The system worked, you said yourself it was working. Nothing was damaged. By the time you contacted me it was probably over a year since I finished building the machine, you could have done anything to it in that time. When it was here I tested everything and it all worked for me. Very different scenario. If you need further explanation we can talk over pm.
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

Anyone thinking about hiring Drakon to do their NES mods should look here, first:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost3613904

-Jim
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

jdubs wrote:Anyone thinking about hiring Drakon to do their NES mods should look here, first:

-Jim

Well, that sounded like a "worst case scenario".

Hmm..other than it coming back bashed up in a bag. Or not at all, I suppose.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
jdubs wrote:Anyone thinking about hiring Drakon to do their NES mods should look here, first:

-Jim

Well, that sounded like a "worst case scenario".

Hmm..other than it coming back bashed up in a bag. Or not at all, I suppose.
Search for anything NES RGB related on google and you'll eventually come across Drakon's posts, down to the point that it's annoying because you'll be looking for information that's actually useful, instead you'll find him clambering about nonsense. Along with those, come his terrible modding work. I'm always amazed people pay a premium for what he does. Jason at Gametech-US does a great job as do others. If you want your console modded, stay the hell away from Drakon.
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

Just to pour gasoline onto the inevitable fire

Mod Work
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Oh my god what a fucking atrocity.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
rolins

Post by rolins »

EmperorZelos wrote:Just to pour gasoline onto the inevitable fire

Mod Work
:shock: Jesus, that's scary. This better than Fright Dome at Circus Circus.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Pasky wrote:Search for anything...stay the hell away from Drakon.
Drakon stinks, WE GET IT!

Does this thread need to be locked, so that we can find an unpoisoned one for discussion of viletim's project?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

ccovell wrote:
Pasky wrote:Search for anything...stay the hell away from Drakon.
Drakon stinks, WE GET IT!

Does this thread need to be locked, so that we can find an unpoisoned one for discussion of viletim's project?
It's quite relevant when he comes in the thread and is advertising installing it for others, not to mention he's in the 1st post, so it's on topic. I'm not trying to derail. I'm keeping it on topic of the NES RGB project.
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

Pasky wrote:It's quite relevant when he comes in the thread and is advertising installing it for others, not to mention he's in the 1st post, so it's on topic. I'm not trying to derail. I'm keeping it on topic of the NES RGB project.
I agree with this, if he is that bad and tries to advertise himself then it is perfectly on target as it is NES mod

But as an important question, are there any good european modder anyone here would recomend to do this particular mod?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Requesting Villetim edit out the links to Drakon's videos in the OP, given how problematic this has become. That should solve the problem.
EmperorZelos

Re: Thread Split: Drakon's Modding

Post by EmperorZelos »

Oh let the fun commence! :D